HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 3.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Semin in a habs uniform?
yes 46 43.40%
non 51 48.11%
indifferent 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
ZiggyC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Jagr would likely only come over for 1 season though, so it's not like we'd be mortgaging the future by signing him. There aren't many other 20 goal scorers you could add for 1 season.
While I see where you are coming from, why not let our young guys play and take over that second line spot? The same with Bouillon, I would much rather see Nash (I know he's not exactly young), than Boullion in our lineup. I love the Moen and Prust signings because they are exactly what we need and are still relatively young and are signed to longer termed deals. Trying not to be negative about it, I have been a HUGE Habs fan for over 25 years, I just think it is time to think about contending for the future and not settling for 10th to 8th every year.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm aware some of them are fringe players, but if your gameplan is to acquire more D, you might want to clear some space, cause otherwise you're going to have some dead contract slots.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
So far Bergevin gets a firm D- from me.

He hasn't sign any long-term crippling deals, but that's the only positive.

He's loaded the team with enough fourth-liners to fill two fourth-lines, and re-signed an ex-Hab for what appears to be purely sentimental reason.

He has tripled up in areas that have less significance and the Habs had no holes (4th-line forwards, bottom-pairing D-men).

He has failed to address any area of need (top-6 LW, top-4 D-man).

At this stage, the Habs are only marginally better than the team they ended up 11-12 with (excluding Gionta's return to health, which is a freebie) and significantly worse than the roster they started 11-12 with.

It also seems that the Habs' team-building philosophy is taking a sharp turn towards "hard to play against", which in a way is code for "not really hard to win against". This is not a good thing.

There's more to be had, Bergevin is not done (as pushing back his press conference indicates), and even he has to realize he needs no more 4th-line forward (and could stand to lose one or two). So this grade is hardly final and there's still time for him to do something that actually improves the club.

Yet, I leave you with this thought: Gauthier's defining UFA signing was Erik Cole. So far, Bergevin's is Brandon Prust.
Not overjoyed with the signings (especially the Bouillon one who besides the local element seems a little puzzling) but I fail to see how adding depth and toughness to the bottom 6 can be viewed as negatives. Those players are clear upgrades on Blunden, Palushaj, Staubitz...

And about your final sentence, Cole was an obvious fit last year, every hab fan wanted him and we got him ; good on us ! But I'd ask you who would be the Erik Cole in this year's crop ? A guy who fits and would want to come here. PAP ? I hardly think so. MB has to play the cards in front of him ; there simply wasn't a whole lot out there outside the 2 marquee guys.

So he did the sane thing : went for a little depth while staying away from pricy and long deals for 2nd tier players. That's a pretty decent job IMO.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Diaz was a bit worse down the stretch, but he was apparently hurt, so what can you do?
For a guy playing his first ever NHL season, it's fair to say that Diaz is good for any team in the role of a 3rd defensive line as a D that does his job right every night never really tough never out there to score goals, but just do a good defensive job. Exactly what any NHL wish for, a guy that you know when he'll be sent on the ice he'll do exactly what he's supposed to do.

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Peter Mueller, what are you waiting for?

Old
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
What??

St-Denis wasnt even close to be the puck mover Diaz is ..not even close to Kaberle .. come on.

Don't get me wrong, I like St-Denis and hate Kaberle ..
Kaberle should be better, the guy is paid a ton and has been in the NHL for 10+ years while St Denis has been riding the bus and will give effort to be better while Kaberle could'nt care less.

Old
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
When's Bergevin's presser ?
Delayed until tomorrow.

Who is he waiting on, I don't know.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Kaberle is at a Briseboisian level at this stage of his career. I shall taunt anyone who disagrees.

Old
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Delayed until tomorrow.

jagr, marc is on the phone no time for presser

or is it ryan?

Old
Habsfan18
The Future

Add Jagr and/or Mueller and I'll be very happy.

07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Not overjoyed with the signings (especially the Bouillon one who besides the local element seems a little puzzling) but I fail to see how adding depth and toughness to the bottom 6 can be viewed as negatives. Those players are clear upgrades on Blunden, Palushaj, Staubitz...

And about your final sentence, Cole was an obvious fit last year, every hab fan wanted him and we got him ; good on us ! But I'd ask you who would be the Erik Cole in this year's crop ? A guy who fits and would want to come here. PAP ? I hardly think so. MB has to play the cards in front of him ; there simply wasn't a whole lot out there outside the 2 marquee guys.

So he did the sane thing : went for a little depth while staying away from pricy and long deals for 2nd tier players. That's a pretty decent job IMO.

The difference was Cole was 4.5 million last year ,and came pretty easy as he was a Habs fan.

Zach Parise cost 14 MILLION ,and i loved to have him,but let's be honest this isn't a Cole type situation here.

Fact's are if it isn't Jagr for around 3 million ,then , you got to look trade market.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Kaberle is at a Briseboisian level at this stage of his career. I shall taunt anyone who disagrees.
I'll agree, since Brisebois was always a decent powerplay Dman, much like Kaberle.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
When's Bergevin's presser ?
Tomorrow. Tends to suggest he's not done. Whether that's a good thing or not is your choice to make.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Yes, no way that a top 10 D 3 years ago is not worth a spot on the 2nd defensive line today, even with all the critics he had this year concerning his defensive game I challenge anyone that says he didn't produce offensively... Especially with a team that does not produce at all except from its first line.

Old
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
For a guy playing his first ever NHL season, it's fair to say that Diaz is good for any team in the role of a 3rd defensive line as a D that does his job right every night never really tough never out there to score goals, but just do a good defensive job. Exactly what any NHL wish for, a guy that you know when he'll be sent on the ice he'll do exactly what he's supposed to do.
He's an adequate #6 when healthy. I think him and Emelin would make a decent third pairing. Not a lot of experience there though, I certainly like him more than Kaberle

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Add Jagr and/or Mueller and I'll be very happy.
Mueller would be an awesome add future wise. If he manages to find his game, we got ourselves a core RW for years to come.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyC View Post
While I see where you are coming from, why not let our young guys play and take over that second line spot? The same with Bouillon, I would much rather see Nash (I know he's not exactly young), than Boullion in our lineup. I love the Moen and Prust signings because they are exactly what we need and are still relatively young and are signed to longer termed deals. Trying not to be negative about it, I have been a HUGE Habs fan for over 25 years, I just think it is time to think about contending for the future and not settling for 10th to 8th every year.
It's mainly because I don't want to rush any of the young guys to the NHL, and giving Plekanec some capable wingers. I agree with you that they shouldn't be trading for top 6 guys. Gallagher, Holland, and Bournival will all be rookies in the AHL this season. Geoffrion and Leblanc should have spent more time in the AHL last season. We should sign someone like Jagr for 1 year, so these guys can get quality minutes in Hamilton.

Old
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
We can't solve everything through free agency. Ask our former gm who traded cammy for that bum what we should do.

Bourque won't be on the top 6. You realize it's july 1st, no? I'm betting he won't be on the team, chill out.
Looking at top-6 forwards that have signed so far through free agency:

Parenteau (who I didn't want because I feared a $5m+ contract) went for $2 million/year more than than the Habs gave to their 4th-line winger. Penner went for $500k more for only one year though he's staying in a comfortable situation I bet the Habs might have been able to sign him if they gave him less than a million more and a couple more years.

Top-6 forwards left on free agency are Parise, Jagr, Doan, Kostitsyn, Hudler (worrying high-shooting% last season). Bergevin needs to get one of those guys or manage to find someone in a trade or the Habs are going to have a long season of hoping goaltending can carry them into the playoffs.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Delayed until tomorrow.

Any other 4th liners on the market?

Old
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Jagr would likely only come over for 1 season though, so it's not like we'd be mortgaging the future by signing him. There aren't many other 20 goal scorers you could add for 1 season.
Apparently Jagr has 21 offers. This is from Svoboda.

Old
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Why not give them time to develop?

Diaz can be a Top-4 defenseman with development. But if you want, let's just ship out every player after 1 season. And actually, Diaz was pretty great to start the year, got really good.. and then slowed down considerably due to injury.
One of us is clearly mis-remembering the start of the season. Diaz was not good and was lost positionally until he adjusted to NA ice. He improved, I recognize that. I just desire a defense that is the strength of the team. I would be ok with Diaz as a 5-6 dman, but he makes Kaberle/Weber even more redundant/useless than they already are. We should only have 1 of those three (and please make it Diaz)

I gave weber plenty of time and watched him closely. He has not improved in his own zone at all, at an NHL level. His NHL O is not enough to compensate his terrible NHL D. (ditto for Kaberle, it can be argued that Kabs is on the downswing and only getting worse)

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Mueller would be an awesome add future wise. If he manages to find his game, we got ourselves a core RW for years to come.
Still remember him and Price going head to head in shootout .

Old
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
His game is fine, it's his head I'm worried about.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Apparently Jagr has 21 offers. This is from Svoboda.
wonder how many he had last yr?

A lot more believers now .

Old
07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Samuelsson back to Detroit.

Closed Thread