HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Think the Oilers were purposefully quiet today. I don't know if they even made offers to anyone of significance.

I remember back 3 years ago when Lowe said he envisions this team as a contender in 4 to 6 years. I think now that that has been the plan all along. We're probably in for one more season of a bottom 10 finish.

Tambellini was unusually direct and honest in today's media scrum. The Oilogosphere has long made jokes about the different versions of Tambo (v 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, apparently we're now on 4.0 with MacT on board) - I think in this case they might be onto something here. This is a man whose tone has clearly changed. He hasn't made any proclamations, he's admitted that it's not time yet, and he knows this team still has some growing to do.

I think next offseason is where we'll see Tambo v 5.0, and it could be quite the show. That troll grin of his could take on an entirely new meaning.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'd argue that he has. The Oilers actually win on occasion when he's in net. When Khabibulin plays = automatic loss.
That doesn't mean Doobie stole the job. It just means "The Wall" has fallen down. Forever.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:37 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
During Tambellini's presser today, he mentioned how Krueger is very positive about turning around Belanger. He seems to imply that we are not going to move Belanger(may be due to there's not much of a market for him anyways). He also talked about Hall going to play center.

If this is the case, we got 5 centers RNH, Hall, Gagner, Horcoff & Belanger, and that's not counting Lander.

That is almost admitting that he's going to move Gagner. Looks like Gagner is definitely going this time.
I agree.....and he was asked a question about moving Hall to Center, and that Hall played Center in Windsor etc....Add it all up, let the dominos fall. Hope we get market value for Gags, Somehow a Yandle deal. But it will have to take Gags + to get that done, Look the Yotes have lost Whitney and more then likely Doan, they need Forwards.....

I personally don't have a problem with moving Hall to Center, (Messier esq.) hopefully it saves him from his injuries, (ala Sarich hit)

Should be an interesting week, or day tomorrow.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Soundwave

I also remember after Yakupov was picked Tambellini said something to the effect of "Nail will get to play with our talented core like Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Hemsky, Paajarvi" but Gagner wasn't mentioned.

Maybe he just forgot to mention him, but I think the Oilers may be trying to move him.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
I admit I'm a little disappointed nothing really significant happened today. For either the Oilers or any team.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring something. If we bring in just one top 4 D like Carle that'll be enough for me.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
nope... only 4.6 per
Still an overpayment.

07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Think the Oilers were purposefully quiet today. I don't know if they even made offers to anyone of significance.

I remember back 3 years ago when Lowe said he envisions this team as a contender in 4 to 6 years. I think now that that has been the plan all along. We're probably in for one more season of a bottom 10 finish.

Tambellini was unusually direct and honest in today's media scrum. The Oilogosphere has long made jokes about the different versions of Tambo (v 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, apparently we're now on 4.0 with MacT on board) - I think in this case they might be onto something here. This is a man whose tone has clearly changed. He hasn't made any proclamations, he's admitted that it's not time yet, and he knows this team still has some growing to do.

I think next offseason is where we'll see Tambo v 5.0, and it could be quite the show. That troll grin of his could take on an entirely new meaning.
Weber is going to get at least one of those 12 year, 80 million dollar deals on his doorstep from Tambo, or even more

Old
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I admit I'm a little disappointed nothing really significant happened today. For either the Oilers or any team.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring something. If we bring in just one top 4 D like Carle that'll be enough for me.
I think you will see Tambo wait until Ryan, and Nash is traded. Tomorrow Suter and Parise will be signed then teams will go after the two above that lost out of Parise.

I would love to get McBain from CAR, they are actually pretty deep on defense, Gagner plus for McBain, the plus wouldnt be too big plus PHX needs players that is for sure. I think I would be more interested in Gormley though, I know he is not proven but he is tougher to play against than Yandle. I would pay Gagner, PRV, and Musil for OEL, yes it is a huge over payment but then our defense would be set and looking pretty good.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I also remember after Yakupov was picked Tambellini said something to the effect of "Nail will get to play with our talented core like Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Hemsky, Paajarvi" but Gagner wasn't mentioned.

Maybe he just forgot to mention him, but I think the Oilers may be trying to move him.
Not gonna lie. I won't be sad to see him go if Hall or someone else proves to be a better option as #2 center.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
4.6 million a year for garrison.

Not too bad. Suspect a hometown discount since there were rumblings a month ago that he wanted to play there.
That is not a hometown discount. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Souray got 3 years. Does he even have 3 years left in him?
I doubt that.

Quote:
Pretty bad. All he's got is a shot and he scored 2 goals after February last year.

Oh well. The Canucks replaced Salo.
Garrison has had one good season and he gets that much. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If Tambo's after Jagr I'm thinking he's been dipping into the moonshine today.
I doubt he's after Jagr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Suspected as much

Whoever was offering wideman money dodged a bullet
Wideman is just as overpaid as Garrison.

Quote:
Canucks got a home town discount with decent cap hit at $4.6 per. Could have gotten $5M elsewhere probably.

Garrison got the term with 6 years, with only 2.5 NHL seasons experience. $4M raise compare to last season.

Solid defensively, not overly physical, decent but not great size. Completely benefited from playing with Campbell with this offensive output.

Even it's slight overpayment but makes it a natural fit with the Canucks with the home town discount.

Glad it wasn't us paying $5M per and got locked in to 6 yrs to sign him.
That's an overpayment.

Quote:
Interesting how Detroit jumped in and gave Tootoo the hit & run artist a 3yrs $1.9M per yr deal. Well run organization no doubt, but I always get a good chuckle when people talk about how noble they played. They always got away with murder on that team, with late hits and stick infractions all the time. They now got Kronwall and Tootoo, two of the best "late" hit and run "fast for my life" players in the league.

Now that Lidstrom has retired, they are on an even playing field with everyone. If they don't get Suter, we may be fighting them for the final playoff spot this coming season.
Detroit never want to rebuild and always want to get better fast through free agency. It's sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita12 View Post
Kinda disappointed we didn't boost our 3rd and 4th lines a bit. Wanted Asham and/or Tootoo as they can both play, enforce and were signed to reasonable contracts. Hordichuk sucks. Prust would have been good, but is overpriced. Can't believe guys like Parenteau and Allen got what they did. Yikes! Hope Pajaarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen sp all start and dominate in OKC. That way they can develop properly and are not rushed ala Detroit model.
Thank goodness the Oilers didn't get TooToo.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
rockinghockey

I am glad that the Oilers were not in the UFA market, so many average players getting over paid, a lot of teams are going to regret it. I am one am happy with the additions of Yak and Schultz, I know we probally won't make the playoffs but I do see another improvement this year and then after next year we will be in the playoffs every year.

Don't give away our talent up front we finally have depth, lets not give it away, I am thinking Gagner and Hemsky will both have a really good year playing with Yak.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
oilers92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
I hate to be in the crowd that we won't make the playoffs, but it comes down to goaltending. Unfortunately in any discussion with Oil fans they blame it on Khabi not on Dubnyk the fact is Dubnyk has never stole the job, the second thing is he is as inconsistent as it comes yet people will glorify him when he makes 45 saves one night.

Sadly until Bunz or someone else comes in this team will be fighting between 20-25th in the league
i think he won the job in the last few months of this season but then again that was no pressure hockey maybe hes just another reimer

Old
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Weber is going to get at least one of those 12 year, 80 million dollar deals on his doorstep from Tambo, or even more
I'd be over the moon if we got Weber next year. I've been a fan of his for a very long time, I've always wanted him to be an Oiler. Weber would complete this team.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:46 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
With the new CBA in effect for following seasons FA's, their might be a limit on the length of contracts. So who knows, 6-7 years may soon end up being the max term a player may be allowed to get.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I am glad that the Oilers were not in the UFA market, so many average players getting over paid, a lot of teams are going to regret it. I am one am happy with the additions of Yak and Schultz, I know we probally won't make the playoffs but I do see another improvement this year and then after next year we will be in the playoffs every year.

Don't give away our talent up front we finally have depth, lets not give it away, I am thinking Gagner and Hemsky will both have a really good year playing with Yak.
Eventually the Oilers will have to pay big bucks to keep their young stars just like everybody else.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes
Murray confirms Nash wouldn't waive NTC to come to Ottawa. "There was no sense in chasing - we didn't feel that was necessary.
Another Canadian "hero" refusing to play in Canada.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Who the hell wouldn't want to play in Ottawa. Great team, beautiful city.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Eventually the Oilers will have to pay big bucks to keep their young stars just like everybody else.
.. and then they'll pay them big bucks. Won't be an issue as long as they aren't stupid with new long term overvalued contracts to secondary players which they haven't done so far.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Taxes. And the US of A is where teh action is.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Taxes. And the US of A is where teh action is.
But Columbus had all the action?

Old
07-01-2012, 11:59 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The difference though is Hordi is a smart guy, he knows when to fight, when to keep the gloves on, and when you need to take a run a skilled guy on the other team.

How many really stupid penalties does he take? He played about half the games and majors aside I don't remember that many bad penalties.

Tootoo is a terrible penalty machine in comparision, and simply isn't an intelligent agitator. I like the way he plays when he is on the edge, but he crosses the line and costs his team more than I would like to see on the Oilers.

Hordichuck had 7 minors in 43 games played last year.

Hemsky had 14 minors on 69 games played.

Interesting observation, backed up by stats.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:02 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
People who don't want to be recognized on the street.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:17 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Another Canadian "hero" refusing to play in Canada.
Yup but a least Ottawa management maintained their dignity.

They didn't chase down Nash at his summer retreat and show him videos of Ottawa.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:19 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
People who don't want to be recognized on the street.
When Messier was traded to the NYR this was his statement--he loved being able to walk down the street like a normal person.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yup but a least Ottawa management maintained their dignity.

They didn't chase down Nash at his summer retreat and show him videos of Ottawa.
This is true.

Of course, you can afford that luxury after coming off a (surprise) playoff birth. That stinky air of desperation isn't on you.

Closed Thread