HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign Aaron Rome (3 years, $4.5 million)

Old
07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Stars sign Aaron Rome (3 years, $4.5 million)

Quote:
Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the club has signed defenseman Aaron Rome to a three-year, $4.5 million contact ($1.5 million per season). Rome, 28, has played the last three seasons for the Vancouver Canucks.

“Aaron is a physical defensive defenseman who adds size and grit to our blue line,” said Nieuwendyk. “He competes at a very high level and helps make our team harder to play against. We’re very pleased to add Aaron to our team for the next three years.”
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

(yes I know it's late and a lot have already talked about it in the other thread but still need the official thread for it. )

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
But did he get a NTC?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
But did he get a NTC?
No way someone would agree to come here without one!

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
This one is interesting, hoping he's a better Fistric... Not super familiar with him but reading positive things...

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Jere26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
This one is interesting, hoping he's a better Fistric... Not super familiar with him but reading positive things...
To be honest, right now I'd be happy enough to see him taking Pardy's spot and excel there as a bottom pairing guy. This signing screams for a Robidas/Fistric trade, but we'll see.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere26 View Post
To be honest, right now I'd be happy enough to see him taking Pardy's spot and excel there as a bottom pairing guy. This signing screams for a Robidas/Fistric trade, but we'll see.
Agree, Joe has indicated trades may be coming and more signings are just about definite.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
He did find a team to take Krys Barch, so maybe there's some hope he could unload Pardy on someone.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I have no idea who this is. If it leads to the exodus of Robidas, hallelujah. If it leads to the exit of Fistric I'm meh about it. Fistric seems the obvious one to go I just don't understand why we gave this guy 3 years unless he's your new Pardy 7th guy going forward. Larsen, Daley, Goligiski are locks. I think they want Dillon here and Nemeth an Olesiak aren't far off, that adds up to 7 and there's no way they bring up any of the kids to be the 7th guy.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
considering the relatively cheap contract, not miffed about this signing. this makes 8 dmen (goose, daley, robidas, larsen, fistric, pardy, rome, and dillon). don't just hand dillon a roster spot. let him earn it. if dillon makes it, then let go of pardy (buy him out, send him down & let someone grab him off waivers, whatever). team can afford to burn some cash, particularly since the avery debacle is behind them.

and as others mentioned, trades are still in play.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I want Fistric to stay here, I just hope this signing doesn't push him out

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
considering the relatively cheap contract, not miffed about this signing. this makes 8 dmen (goose, daley, robidas, larsen, fistric, pardy, rome, and dillon). don't just hand dillon a roster spot. let him earn it. if dillon makes it, then let go of pardy (buy him out, send him down & let someone grab him off waivers, whatever). team can afford to burn some cash, particularly since the avery debacle is behind them.

and as others mentioned, trades are still in play.
Yea I don't see why this makes it certain one will be traded. Now if we go out and sign another defenseman, then I think a trade is pretty much all but guaranteed to happen.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
In this video GMJN says "we have 8 D."

He followed that up with, "year after year there's always teams that need D and there's always injuries."

I don't believe Dallas will start the season with these 8 guys. I think Fistric of Robidas will be gone ... probably Fistric.

EDIT: More from that video ... you certainly can't build your team through free agency ... you add parts ... we're bridging the gap to get some of those kids incorporated ... I think Dillon can make the NHL roster ... I think it's important we have a game plan to work these kids in ... they'll tell us when they are ready ... and we'll give them every opportunity to succeed ....

I have to admit that's probably not exact ... I wasn't as meticulous in the past and stopping and starting over and over. That's generally what he said.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
More from that video:

Asked about the center depth ... are you OK or do you look to add?

Response .... it's an area of concern ... we've converted Jamie Benn to a centerman .... Cody Eakin only has 30 NHL games .... we'll keep an eye on it always and look to improve that position ... if we had to start today I think we're comfortable ... there will be options and choices that present themselves down the road

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
catters078

Ott and Fistric for lars eller.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Ott+Fistric for Eller and LeBlanc

Old
07-01-2012, 10:57 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Ott+Fistric for Eller and LeBlanc
think youd have to settle for one or the other with that. id prefer Eller for sure.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:18 PM
The Big Foot

As long as he is kept in a spot in line with his talents (ie bottom pairing), Rome is pretty awesome to have on your team. Total team player, sticks up for teammates, always in the middle of scrums in front of his net. Also he keeps a very even keel - he looks pretty much exactly the same after a win as he does after a brutal goal that he could have defended better.

There will be plenty of goals against with Rome on the ice where you scratch your head and wonder what he's doing in the NHL. But there will also be stretches of safe play where you only notice him for his poise. He keeps it simple, sometimes to a fault, and I'd imagine the coach there will really like him.

He actually had a few goals last year on slap shots but that's not part of his game. For some reason AV put him out on the PP at times which was a headscratcher. If he plays 12-16 minutes a night, with some PK time mixed, he's pretty solid. Any more than that and you're just not going to be happy with the results.

At $1.5M, I think this was a good signing for you guys.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
think youd have to settle for one or the other with that. id prefer Eller for sure.
My point was Ott and Fistric for Eller was too much. I'd expect to get a pick back as well, at least. To the right team and situation Fistric is worth more than just a throw in and Ott, well we've been debating Ott for months now and I think Ott for Eller himself is a fair deal.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Well, just wanted to drop by and thank Nieuwendyk for picking up Rome. An alcoholic or a drug addict can't be around the stuff they're addicted to or they *will* use. Such is the case with Rome and Alain Vigneault. Rome's around? He's in. Top 4? PP? You bet. Must...play...Rome...can't...resist...it got old. Especially with Ballard unfairly gathering dust in the press box.

Much as an intervention is necessary for a user to realize the damage their habit causes, so did Mike Gillis have to remove Aaron Rome from the lineup and make Vigneault go cold turkey on his Rome habit. Having seen first hand the damage a coach with a full-blown Rome addiction, my prayers go out to the fans of the Stars. Beseech your coach to use Rome in moderation. Only at mealtimes, or just socially. Keep firm watch on him; if he's using Rome when he's alone or neglecting friendships with other, better defensemen in order to do Rome, you know there's trouble. Does your coach suddenly have no money or lots of unexplained money? Does he suddenly have a new crop of friends that he won't talk about? Have you noticed small appliances vanishing from your house only to turn up in the pawnshop? It's time to talk about Rome then. Hey, some coaches can handle a little Rome now and then. They can put them in the lineup once in a while then take him back out again, and there's no harm done. But others are different. Once they start using Rome, they just can't stop. It's a bottomless pit filled with Rome and nothing else. When that happens...*sigh*...well, it's not pretty. I just hope for your sake your coach is someone blessed with the ability to know where it's proper to use Rome and to Just Say No when it's not.

Namaste.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Sounds like a strong case of the woywitkas.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:56 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

I think you're jealous because we just stole the President's Trophy from you with this amazing move.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:15 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
I think you're jealous because we just stole the President's Trophy from you with this amazing move.
Could be.

Seriously, Rome's decent for a 6-7th dman. Injury fill-in on the left side, he's fine. Physical while not particularly tough by any stretch, unspectacular but steady if used in small doses. Good guy by all accounts. AV's infatuation with him defied all logic, but as a stop-gap in your bottom pair, you could do a lot worse.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Hate this signing.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:28 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
As long as he is kept in a spot in line with his talents (ie bottom pairing), Rome is pretty awesome to have on your team. Total team player, sticks up for teammates, always in the middle of scrums in front of his net. Also he keeps a very even keel - he looks pretty much exactly the same after a win as he does after a brutal goal that he could have defended better.

There will be plenty of goals against with Rome on the ice where you scratch your head and wonder what he's doing in the NHL. But there will also be stretches of safe play where you only notice him for his poise. He keeps it simple, sometimes to a fault, and I'd imagine the coach there will really like him.

He actually had a few goals last year on slap shots but that's not part of his game. For some reason AV put him out on the PP at times which was a headscratcher. If he plays 12-16 minutes a night, with some PK time mixed, he's pretty solid. Any more than that and you're just not going to be happy with the results.

At $1.5M, I think this was a good signing for you guys.
Agreed. He keeps it simple and makes the safe play. Not flashy, nor will he amaze you with his offensive ability but his smarts are underrated. Willing to stand up for teammates and always was a good soldier. Very good bottom pairing D.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
My money is on Fistric being gone. Rome sounds like what they want Fistric to be.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote