HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[ANA] Sheldon Souray (3 years, $3.66M cap hit)

Old
07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
JKsilverstick*

vCash: 500

I don't understand giving away Visnovsky for cheap and then signing a terrible contract like this. Makes no sense to me.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Can a mod tell me why my post was deleted? I wasn't really flaming the guy, just counterpointing.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You left out Ryan(25) Fowler(20) Sbisa(22) DSP(20) and Palmieri(21) good try though.
So because of those 4 guys the Ducks will tank the season? I dont get it. Ryan might be traded too..

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Clowe Me

Wow. Souray is terrible and this is a bad contract. Visnovsky is making less real money and is a much better player.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

I've reserved my comments on this move for a couple days hoping to hear, read or come to realize anything that would make this signing seem intelligent. No matter what angle you look at it from, the odds of Souray playing well enough to justify making $11MM over the next three years are miniscule IMO. I'm not saying he doesn't fit in for next year, or that he's a terrible player or anything radical like that, but I just don't see the sense in giving this contract to that player.

I'm not even going to touch any off the off-ice stuff people banter on about, my biggest concern here is foot-speed. Guys who have concerns with skating at the age of 36 aren't likely to be any quicker by 39. Souray will have to work his butt off the next couple years if he doesn't want to get burnt by some of these quick young guns.

If we had come up short in the Bryan Allen sweepstakes I wouldn't have been against signing Souray for 1 year $3MM or maybe 2 years $5.8 at the most. Once Allen was on board, the Souray move made next to no sense.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
SufferingCatFan

Allen and Souray? Do the Ducks have some inside information on a rule change that favors big,slow d-men?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Maybe someone who's a duck fan can help me grasp all this.

Did they sign Souray and Allen mostly because they're vets and you guys got Fowler, Sbisa, and a few d prospects coming up.

Or do they feel that Allen and Souray can really help them out with their play now and 3 years from now?

They already got Lydman and Beauchemin on the backend so I dunno why they need more vets. Maybe they felt like they still can play an important role on their team.

Or do you think Beauchemin/Lydman is getting traded?

Beauchemin, Fowler, Sbisa, Lydman, Allen, Souray that's alot of money if you don't count in Fowler on the D.

Who's gonna be bottompairing? Lydman and Souray @ 3 & 3.66 million each?

From what I understood is that we are trying to give our young defensemen someone that has been in the league a long time. We want to size up again so we picked up Souray and Allen. This should provide Folwer and Siba room to grow their offensive game more.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post

I don't understand giving away Visnovsky for cheap and then signing a terrible contract like this. Makes no sense to me.
I look at it this way. We gave up a 5'10 defensemen that was great for offense but lack a good defensive game. We picked up two guys over 6'4 that are physical and good defensively. One of them has a decent offensive game...all while helping out youth Folwer and Siba grow their offensive game. And all we had to do is spend two million more.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
I look at it this way. We gave up a 5'10 defensemen that was great for offense but lack a good defensive game. We picked up two guys over 6'4 that are physical and good defensively. One of them has a decent offensive game...all while helping out youth Folwer and Siba grow their offensive game. And all we had to do is spend two million more.
Since when was Souray's defensive game good? He has been mostly about offense for a long time, and even that has dropped off (and significantly worse than Visnovsky)

Is this the same physical Souray that had 55 hits in 64 games last year? Less than Visnovsky...

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Since when was Souray's defensive game good? He has been mostly about offense for a long time, and even that has dropped off (and significantly worse than Visnovsky)

Is this the same physical Souray that had 55 hits in 64 games last year? Less than Visnovsky...
Any Ducks fan will say that stat is misleading for Lubo.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
Souray's defensive game is very weak, frequent and mind boggling brain cramps in his zone. He's physical, but damn, he can get hurt so easily... still has his howitzer though, and has pretty good vision. But he's been on the decline for some years now, can't get better. Still a great guy to have around, if he's happy.

Allen, well you make a point, ain't the best skater, but very good defensive game, and quite physical, not as much as he was at one point, but, perhaps more disciplined.

Like a lot said already, Souray's signing might backfire pretty hard...

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Kuba signing looking pretty good right now

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote