HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Wilson?

Old
07-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Drift

vCash: 500
Colin Wilson?

What do you guys expect from him next year and going forward? From afar it seems like he has potential but hasn't received enough playing time. Do you think he will get more next year? Has he not been able to handle the NHL level and thats why he hasn't got a lot of TOI? Hoping you guys can fill me in, I haven't seen him play much and I have him in a dynasty league so trying to figure out what i have.

Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
maplepred

I think he's ready to explode offensively. Only problem is your right, he isn't getting enough minutes because ol Barry trotz wants everyone to play defense first, and Wilson is more of an offensive player trying to play more defensively to make trotz happy and get him more playing time.
He's gonna be a offensive weapon no doubt in the future, just don't know if it will be with predators.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Trotz is too hard headed sometimes.

He's like the dad that wants his son to throw left handed but the son has been throwing right handed for 20 years

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
cleangene

He will be the answer to the trivia question: who scored the Preds last goal, but wasn't given a chance to score any others in the 2012 NHL playoffs?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
MarkMM

He's an RFA, right? What do you think he'll be signing for and how long?

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
hatedandproud

Wilson's play has improved over the last two years and he has potential to be a big time player. He definitely has get skill offensively, but Trotz demands responsible two way play. You have to be willing to back check hard and play a sound game away from the puck. This is where Wilson gets himself in trouble. He will occasionally blow his coverage assignment. Which, under Trotz, leads to limited TOI and not playing in the POs.
If he can play a good two way game (which he can) CONSISTENTLY, he would get more playing time, maybe even on a higher line. Right now the coach doesn't have complete confidence in his overall game.

As to a next contract ...? I'm hoping he doesn't get, or hasn't already gotten, so disillusioned and frustrated that he wants out of Nashville after next season. He doesn't have much leverage so I doubt he gets a huge raise; and he'll probably only want a year or two deal so he can show what he can do and then get bigger money later.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
He's an RFA, right? What do you think he'll be signing for and how long?
Same agent as Suter and could be dealt for a decent piece - I'd argue he's traded.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:32 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

what overall did he get picked? and what draft class was he in?

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:48 PM
predhead99

He was drafted in 2008 in the first round 7th overall.

predhead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

would you guys take helm + for him? what does he play 3rd line center for the preds cause i know hes got good size on him.

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
would you guys take helm + for him? what does he play 3rd line center for the preds cause i know hes got good size on him.
no way. Wilson would never be traded to DRW's.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Colin Wilson is a prime example of the only thing I don't like about Trotz, which is his tendency to be too stubborn at times. If we are going to spend a nice first-rounder on a guy with Wilson's offensive potential, why not let him just do his thing? I realize he's got to play SOME defense but when you voluntarily take a guy like him, why dampen his natural abilities? Especially when we desperately need offensive weapons.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Wilson would be a stud on some other teams. Trotz needs to loosen that leash. We've seen glimpses of what he can do and it's pretty.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Drift

so sounds like the guy has a lot of potential but is pretty limited in the nashville system. Soo i guess I should be hoping he signs for one year then goes UFA ha. Sorry not from nashville so I am looking at this purely from a fantasy stand point.

Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:57 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I think he's ready to explode offensively. Only problem is your right, he isn't getting enough minutes because ol Barry trotz wants everyone to play defense first, and Wilson is more of an offensive player trying to play more defensively to make trotz happy and get him more playing time.
He's gonna be a offensive weapon no doubt in the future, just don't know if it will be with predators.
Trotz DOES NOT expect players to play defense FIRST - he expects a complete player who is defensively responsible. And Wilson isn't - he loses track of his defensive assignment too often and he tries too hard to do it all himself on O too often. He's fixing that - being focused, etc - and he'll play more this year and probably end up skating top 6

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
so sounds like the guy has a lot of potential but is pretty limited in the nashville system. Soo i guess I should be hoping he signs for one year then goes UFA ha. Sorry not from nashville so I am looking at this purely from a fantasy stand point.
Colin Wilson is 22 years old...

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
adsfan

More goals, better defense and more playing time.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I like Barry Trotz, I really do, but sometimes I don't think he appreciates that fact that the winner is the team that scored more goals. There's no substitute for pure skill, and the player on the Preds that has to most of it, in my opinion, is Colin Wilson.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I like Barry Trotz, I really do, but sometimes I don't think he appreciates that fact that the winner is the team that scored more goals. There's no substitute for pure skill, and the player on the Preds that has to most of it, in my opinion, is Colin Wilson.
Your opinion and everyone else's. Granted he isn't very good defensively, and I ASSUME he's working to get better, it's like taboo for Trotz to trust a player of his defensive caliber. I really do feel like he's restricting his talents. I'm a bigtime Trotz homer supporter, but he's gotta let Wilson do his thing a little more freely or he's gonna go to waste and then bust out with another team and coach.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

If that logic held up the capitals should have won a Cup already and nobody should have beaten the Pens or the Canucks..

Trotz understands that, given their overall strengths and weaknesses, its much more likely for the Preds to score more goals than the other team if they make sure the other team scores 0,1 or at most 2 goals....

it won't help the team score more than the other if wilson's mistakes allow the other team to score more than he does.

if you have skills like stamkos, or tavares, you can let the defensive part of your game slide a bit... but Wilson isn't gonna score 30, much less 50, even if Trotz told him he never had to play d...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If that logic held up the capitals should have won a Cup already and nobody should have beaten the Pens or the Canucks..

Trotz understands that, given their overall strengths and weaknesses, its much more likely for the Preds to score more goals than the other team if they make sure the other team scores 0,1 or at most 2 goals....

it won't help the team score more than the other if wilson's mistakes allow the other team to score more than he does.

if you have skills like stamkos, or tavares, you can let the defensive part of your game slide a bit... but Wilson isn't gonna score 30, much less 50, even if Trotz told him he never had to play d...
I think that's a little bit of a stretch. If Wilson can play with confidence in a top 6 and power play role I think he could get to 30 in a season. I'm not saying he 'should' or 'needs to', I'm just saying IF those were his roles for whatever reason I think he could get to 30 over 78-82 healthy games as he continues to develop and enter his prime.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think that's a little bit of a stretch. If Wilson can play with confidence in a top 6 and power play role I think he could get to 30 in a season. I'm not saying he 'should' or 'needs to', I'm just saying IF those were his roles for whatever reason I think he could get to 30 over 78-82 healthy games as he continues to develop and enter his prime.
yeah, I probably should have said "north of thirty".... i think he could top out at around 30 per, like Sully or Arnott in their primes...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Top 6 Spaling

What we really need is for both Willy and Trotz to bend a little. Wilson needs to work a little harder on defense, and Trotz needs to give him a little longer of a leash. Neither one is going to change all the way, so they have to meet in the middle.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

What stinks is that we now have two pieces in Blum and Wilson whose trade values have plummeted over the last season or two. Both have been either benched or sent back down and are (so far) not living up to expectations. Both are put in the "more valuable to just keep them" category.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
What stinks is that we now have two pieces in Blum and Wilson whose trade values have plummeted over the last season or two. Both have been either benched or sent back down and are (so far) not living up to expectations. Both are put in the "more valuable to just keep them" category.
Agreed. I still think Wilson can be a top 6 or even top line winger, and blum a steady 2nd pairing defenseman. I don't know if other GMs agree.

I think Poile needs to talk to Trotz and figure out if Wilson isn't playing because he just needs a year to mature or if Trotz hates him. If playing on the 4th line and/or being benched is all that Wilson is ever going to do here, trade him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote