HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke at the WJC

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
Clarke at the WJC

Bob was at the WJC and got a chance to see Richards and Carter play. As per the article on canoe.ca, Clarke said Richards reminded him of Doug Gilmour in the way he plays the game.

You know something, I think Clarke is right about that. All along, some of us have been comparing Richards to Sakic and Yzerman, but he does look an awful lot like a young Gilmour. Gilmour was considered kind of small, not a great skater, but made up for everything in determination and hockey sense.

Who knows, but it's really nice to be in the situation we are in. We have two top notch prospects whose upsides are being compared to Sundin and Gilmour. As for Ruzicka, I'll probably get flamed for this, but he reminds me a lot of a young Brian Propp. Ruzicka is just a goal scoring machine, something our system seriously lacks. Now, hopefully Hitch won't take the offensive game out of kids and he has a plan to utilitze a system that will take advantage of their skills........

Old
12-31-2004, 05:19 PM
flip588

I'm unfortunately too young to have seen much of Brian Propp. But I can tell you after seeing Rosie in a good amount of his home games over the past year and a bit, he is a pure sniper.

He's got the quickest and most accurate shot on his team, and one of the best in the league. His coach, Mike Stothers, calls it 'big league'. He's also got soft hands and is incredibly tough to knock off the puck. More often than not though he scores on a shot than a deke, but it's normal to see him deke past the opposition's defenders.

He's also got quite a fiesty side to him, despite the European label some immdeiately put on him.

I'd really like to know what Clarkie thinks of him.

Old
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I found it interesting that the TSN guys were comparing Richards to Clarke...... and then Clarke compared him to Gilmour. Either way, not bad company to be in!

Old
12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip588
I'm unfortunately too young to have seen much of Brian Propp. But I can tell you after seeing Rosie in a good amount of his home games over the past year and a bit, he is a pure sniper.

He's got the quickest and most accurate shot on his team, and one of the best in the league. His coach, Mike Stothers, calls it 'big league'. He's also got soft hands and is incredibly tough to knock off the puck. More often than not though he scores on a shot than a deke, but it's normal to see him deke past the opposition's defenders.

He's also got quite a fiesty side to him, despite the European label some immdeiately put on him.

It's too bad you never got to see Brian Propp play. He was one of the best Flyers of all time. Gritty, but had hands that were feather soft and one heck of a shot. Scored lots of goals throughout his career. I see a lot of that in Ruzicka. I hope the Flyers do the right thing though and not rush these kids along. Let them play in the AHL for a season or two, develop some chemistry, and most importantly, teach them what the professional game is all about.

Old
12-31-2004, 05:53 PM
flip588

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
It's too bad you never got to see Brian Propp play. He was one of the best Flyers of all time. Gritty, but had hands that were feather soft and one heck of a shot. Scored lots of goals throughout his career. I see a lot of that in Ruzicka. I hope the Flyers do the right thing though and not rush these kids along. Let them play in the AHL for a season or two, develop some chemistry, and most importantly, teach them what the professional game is all about.
I assume Ruzicka will be back with the Phantoms once Owen Sound is eliminated, unless we're lucky enough to go deep into the playoffs. It is looking like it could happen this year.

Anyways, the Attack expected him to play with the Phantoms this year, and he could've, but with the lockout his spot gets taken. Another year in the juniors is good though, to prove his first year wasn't a fluke, and he's done so thus far.

Unfortunately for Attack fans I'm almost sure he'll be in the AHL come next season. I'm hoping the Flyers hold onto this guy as well. It's looking more and more likely that Clarkie will keep the prospects around with the idea of a new economic system being implemented.

Old
12-31-2004, 11:28 PM
meadvilledog

I haven't seen stefan play, but another player I've heard him compared to is ziggy palffy.

Old
12-31-2004, 11:38 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadvilledog
I haven't seen stefan play, but another player I've heard him compared to is ziggy palffy.
No, less flat out speed and flair, more heart and grit. He plays with an edge to his game.

Old
01-01-2005, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Now, hopefully Hitch won't take the offensive game out of kids and he has a plan to utilitze a system that will take advantage of their skills........

if you don't play defense...you don't play.

Old
01-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
I haven't seen Ruzicka play at all but could he be compared to Milan Hejduk ?

Old
01-02-2005, 12:15 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
I haven't seen Ruzicka play at all but could he be compared to Milan Hejduk ?

i havent either, but i dont think he's THAT good

Old
01-02-2005, 01:00 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
i havent either, but i dont think he's THAT good
No, I agree, let's not get carried away and place unreal expectations on this kid.

Old
01-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Who do you think is a realistic example of how good Ruzica could be?

Old
01-02-2005, 01:18 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
Who do you think is a realistic example of how good Ruzica could be?
Probably similar to the kind of player Ladislav Nagy was in 02-03 and maybe an upside similar to what Nagy showed in 03-04 and what he is expected to show in the future.

Old
01-02-2005, 02:37 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I have heard the Richards/Gilmour comparison before. I think it fits the best.

as far as Ruzicka, I have heard him compared to A. Kovalenko(the X-Flyers) with more heart. also a Sergei Berezin's name has popped up in caomparisons.

Old
01-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
also a Sergei Berezin's name has popped up in caomparisons.
Eeek, keep Berezin FAR away from this team!

Well, if he can actually pass the puck, something Berezin is incapible of doing, then that's ok.

Old
01-03-2005, 12:16 PM
stanley

Quote:
Scored lots of goals throughout his career.
My all-time favorite was the one off Ridley's noggin against the Caps in 1989 (the game of Hexy's playoff goal). The puck was fluttering and bounced right off the top of Ridley's helmet, down onto Propper's stick, and just as quickly behind Pete. Hexy's goal only made that game more surreal.

Old
01-03-2005, 12:53 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
My all-time favorite was the one off Ridley's noggin against the Caps in 1989 (the game of Hexy's playoff goal). The puck was fluttering and bounced right off the top of Ridley's helmet, down onto Propper's stick, and just as quickly behind Pete. Hexy's goal only made that game more surreal.
That was a good one.

Others Propp moments that jump to mind, all from the 1987 playoffs, where Propp was just awesome. For my money he was better than Hextall during that playoff run.

#1. 1987 Stanley Cup Finals - Game 6. Everyone remember the J.J. goal to win the game, most forget the Propp goal scored just 84 seconds earlier to tie the game. On the power play Pelle Eklund hit Propp streaking down the slot, and Propp unleashed a wicked snap shot right under the crossbar over Grant Fuhr's glove.

#2. 1987 Patrick Division Finals - Game 7. Flyers leading the Islanders 1-0, and shorthanded, Propp and Poulin streak down the ice shorthanded, Propp blows one past Kelly Hrudey and the Flyers never look back, and go on to win 5-1.

#3. 1987 Wales Conference Finals - Game 6. Game tied at 3, midway through the third period. Propp picks Chelios clean just inside the blueline and then makes a beautiful play setting up Rick Tocchet for the series winning goal.

Old
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
No, I agree, let's not get carried away and place unreal expectations on this kid.
No, it wasn't my intention. I just have some troubles to compare him to an established player in the NHL. I suggested Hejduk because he was too a late pick (87th), is from the former Czechoslovaquia, ans is a talented right winger.

Do yo think he could be "just" a 2nd line winger at the best ? or has he higher upside? cuz Nagy has a nice upside too and someone compred him to Nagy)

Old
01-03-2005, 09:33 PM
IronMarshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuzickaFan23

Propper isone of my all time favorites. He came out in the awesome 79 draft, the first year I subscribed to THN, and followed Juniors. I wanted him bad in the draft, but would not believe that he would last until the Flyers pick (14? maybe?). Silly youngster that I was, I sent Keith Allen a letter suggesting he trade up to get Propp and try to get another pick to get Ray Allison and Laurie Boschman ( I wanted the whole line). That is all laughable now, but I was stunned, elated and laughing at the Blue Skirts for picking Doug Sulliman right before the Flyers, leaving Propp for us. Sweet! The really beautiful thing here is Propp was a record setting scoring machine whose scouting report read "tenacious forechecker with a deadly quick release wrist/snap shot and excellent hockey sense. His defense is suspect as his line rarely lets the puck leave the opposition's zone (I'm thinking 'that is the best defense'). His down side, a funky skating stride that may not be fast enough, might be a tad pudgy, is small and may be a bad liver." Obviously, he was stocky, in shape and a workaholic with a great attitude. And oh yeah, his speed and quickness wasjust fine thank you very much.
Sulliman? He was consdered a "solid citizen with a journeyman's future. A little small, but a strong kater and a tireless worker." His scoring was half of Propp's 96 goals and 196 points (I think those are correct). Who would you take?

Old
01-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
No, it wasn't my intention. I just have some troubles to compare him to an established player in the NHL. I suggested Hejduk because he was too a late pick (87th), is from the former Czechoslovaquia, ans is a talented right winger.

Do yo think he could be "just" a 2nd line winger at the best ? or has he higher upside? cuz Nagy has a nice upside too and someone compred him to Nagy)
I have compared Ruzicka to Hejduk, stylistically, before too. Same skating stride and quick hands. Obviously Milan is a star player and Rosie has work to do to get there, but if you asked me what player he looks like, I'd say Hejduk.

Nagy's a great player already, and will break out as his team gets better, ie. playing with Nedved.

Old
01-05-2005, 02:08 AM
FlyersFan10*

Well, this was a pretty one sided tournament in that Canada completely dominated. However, with regards to individual play and with the Flyers prospects that were there, I have quite a few observations. This is what I noted:

1) Jeff Carter is the real deal. As much as I've slagged on Carter for being overrated, he really shone through as his performace picked up when games really mattered. When it comes down to it, the guy is a gamer. I've heard comparisons to Sundin, but I've been thinking of another Soo centerman who has played in the NHL and has one a couple of Stanley Cups.....Ron Francis. If Carter turns out to be anything like Ronnie was, we're laughing.

2) Mike Richards really came into his own at this tournament. While Pierre Maguire maybe in love with Mike, fact of the matter was that Richards did what was asked of him and he became the ultimate team player. How fitting was it that Gretzky handed him the trophy at the end of the tournament? Maybe it's just me, but I have a funny feeling in five or six years, the next trophy Richards holds is a big silver cup. What a good overall hockey player. Doug Gilmour through and through. A heart and soul player who plays an overall solid game. Our number 2 guy

3) Rejean Beauchemin might make Niitymaki expendable. What a real nice situation we have with all this depth. If Beauchemin doesn't make him expendable, it's yet another young goalie or a potential piece in a bigger deal for a big, crease clearing defenseman.

4) Kevin Romy is going to be AWESOME. Unbelievable set of hands and just a good overall game he plays. Unlike Drozdetsky, this guy will come over and he will surprise. While our center spots are full, this guy is going to make a great winger.

5) Stefan Ruzicka will be the sniper we've lacked for quite some time. I'm really really really impressed with his game. For all this talk about needing work defensively, it's great to know that it's quite hard to play defense when you spend most of your time in the offensive zone. I just like his game so much. Skating, shooting and scoring. This is the kind of player the NHL needs now. Defense can be easily taught. Offense can't.

6) Ladislav Skurco is a dark horse here. I know he plays in the CHL, but I'm wondering if he played on a better team if he would have gotten more ice time with the Slovaks. I'm also wondering if maybe he should have seen about the possibility of going to the OHL instead. I wonder if being out in the WHL is the best thing for his game. As well, it looks like he could use a few more pounds. With that being said, the skill is there. He sees the ice well and is a very good skater. If he doesn't develop a scoring touch, he'll make a really nice checking forward. I'll have to keep my eye on him.

I really like that we've got some really good prospects who are going to be good and in some cases, great pros. I know I might get flamed for this, but as much as Ovechkin was hyped to really dominate this tournament, I think Carter put in one of the quitest dominating performances in tournament history. I don't care what anyone says, but at this point, I wouldn't deal Carter for Ovechkin. Carter played a superb game and I think it's just a sign of things to come. When you consider he's 6'4 and 207 pounds, imagine what he'll be like when he adds that extra 20 pounds to fill out his frame. The kid is going to be a beast. And while Ovechkin may have a lot of flash to his game, I'll take substance over the style any day.

Old
01-05-2005, 02:32 AM
paxtang

Quote:
6) Ladislav Skurco is a dark horse here. I know he plays in the CHL, but I'm wondering if he played on a better team if he would have gotten more ice time with the Slovaks. I'm also wondering if maybe he should have seen about the possibility of going to the OHL instead. I wonder if being out in the WHL is the best thing for his game.
?

Seatle is a good team, a very good team. Scurko is a plugger, I don't see much offensive upside with him, but I think he will do much better at next years WJC IMO. He's a pleseant suprise.

Old
01-05-2005, 02:37 AM
blah

Clarke would bring Carter into the NHL if there is a season this year.

"I guess that will be up to the rules (but) if they allow us to, we would. You hate to do that to a junior club, but if they're ready for the NHL and if they can help it, we'll play them.

"A guy like Carter can start on the wing. You can take your time and put him with good players."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...03485-sun.html

Last edited by blah: 01-05-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old
01-05-2005, 02:53 AM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
?

Seatle is a good team, a very good team. Scurko is a plugger, I don't see much offensive upside with him, but I think he will do much better at next years WJC IMO. He's a pleseant suprise.
I guess I should have clarified that more. Seattle is a good team, but they don't seem to be an offensive team. What I was wondering was that if Scurko was on a team that was more offense oriented (playing somewhere in the OHL like Ottawa, Mississaugga, or London or in the Q like Gatineau, Rimouski, or PEI) would that have been better for Scurko and in turn, would he have been given a more prominent role on the Slovak team.

I took a look at the stats of the Seattle team and while they are good, they aren't overly impressive. It's like they're a team built around solid defensive play than offensive play. The reports on Scurko indicate he is good defensively, but that he also has great vision on the ice. If he were on a team that played an offensive game, would it have helped him develop a more offensive game to round out his defensive game and in turn, would he have gotten more ice time with Slovakia? I hope what I said makes sense.

Old
01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

4) Kevin Romy is going to be AWESOME. Unbelievable set of hands and just a good overall game he plays. Unlike Drozdetsky, this guy will come over and he will surprise. While our center spots are full, this guy is going to make a great winger.

I don't care what anyone says, but at this point, I wouldn't deal Carter for Ovechkin. Carter played a superb game and I think it's just a sign of things to come. When you consider he's 6'4 and 207 pounds, imagine what he'll be like when he adds that extra 20 pounds to fill out his frame. The kid is going to be a beast. And while Ovechkin may have a lot of flash to his game, I'll take substance over the style any day.
Need to watch the homerism a little in that post there. Romy is decent, but plenty of guys have had one good tournament and then not done much for the rest of their careers. I had not really heard about him much before this year and after doing some research, I don't see him as too much more than maybe a good AHLer. The Swiss league isn't exactly the class of Europe and the hitting isn't supposed to be very good.

I am a very big Carter fan as well, but right now, I do have to say that AO is just a better prospect. He's been having loads of success in arguably the best league in the world right now and when you look at it, the RSL really is much more similar to the NHL.

Closed Thread