HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres sign John Scott (1 year, $600k)

Old
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Imlach a cup

vCash: 500
Just spent the last 30 mins watching Scott beat the tar outta people. Wow gotta get tickets to that first Briins game. Hahaha

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

11 ballerinas and 1 gorilla doesn't help your toughness problem that much. Especially when the gorilla will probably play about 100 minutes total over the course of the entire season. If this is how we react to the Lucic hit, I say it's reactionary and short-sighted. The problem wasn't that Goose didn't fight Lucic, it's that the entire roster crawled into a pity-hole for two months following the incident. If John Scott is on last year's roster, odds are he isn't even dressed for that game, and if he is, he doesn't change the course of our season by chasing Lucic for four and a half minutes the rest of the way. The toughness problem can't be solved by having a guy like Scott - it has to be solved among and perhaps in replacing the core players who make the team tick.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
11 ballerinas and 1 gorilla doesn't help your toughness problem that much. Especially when the gorilla will probably play about 100 minutes total over the course of the entire season. If this is how we react to the Lucic hit, I say it's reactionary and short-sighted. The problem wasn't that Goose didn't fight Lucic, it's that the entire roster crawled into a pity-hole for two months following the incident. If John Scott is on last year's roster, odds are he isn't even dressed for that game, and if he is, he doesn't change the course of our season by chasing Lucic for four and a half minutes the rest of the way. The toughness problem can't be solved by having a guy like Scott - it has to be solved among and perhaps in replacing the core players who make the team tick.
I think people are looking into this move too deeply. We have a team of skilled players, maybe more so than most teams out there, and we went and got a fighter to help protect those guys in some spots. "help", and "some spots" being the key here.

It's a smart move with very little risk.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think we are all in agreement, but it doesn't hurt and this signing isn't really preventing them from doing anything else. I do think it helps more than you're letting on, but your point that the team is still less physical and tough than we'd like in the more important spots is nonetheless very valid.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I don't see the downside to this signing. Having this guy on the bench could give guys who are reluctant about going into dirty areas and not battling as hard as they should a little more backbone. The Sabres need to play more aggressive and I think part of the reason they don't is that they're afraid of the consequences. Now when they infuriate an opponent they can say "my dad can beat up your dad".

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Just spent the last 30 mins watching Scott beat the tar outta people. Wow gotta get tickets to that first Briins game. Hahaha
He's terrible. He'll be in a box more than on the ice. Can't wait for our forwards to use him as a pylon.

They should have kept Kaleta. As annoying as he is, he has more talent than John Scott.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I don't see the downside to this signing. Having this guy on the bench could give guys who are reluctant about going into dirty areas and not battling as hard as they should a little more backbone. The Sabres need to play more aggressive and I think part of the reason they don't is that they're afraid of the consequences. Now when they infuriate an opponent they can say "my dad can beat up your dad".
As much as I hate this mentality (and I think having Peters to baby-sit played a role in how the current core handles on ice problems), JP Dumont has gone on the record saying that if players were messing with him, he could name drop Peters and often-times guys would leave him alone.

His sole purpose on this team IMO is to beat the tar out of Lucic. But I'm not sure Lucic is stupid enough to take himself off the ice for a plug like Scott.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
He's terrible. He'll be in a box more than on the ice. Can't wait for our forwards to use him as a pylon.

They should have kept Kaleta. As annoying as he is, he has more talent than John Scott.
Kaleta isn't going anywhere, don't you worry.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
As much as I hate this mentality (and I think having Peters to baby-sit played a role in how the current core handles on ice problems), JP Dumont has gone on the record saying that if players were messing with him, he could name drop Peters and often-times guys would leave him alone.

His sole purpose on this team IMO is to beat the tar out of Lucic. But I'm not sure Lucic is stupid enough to take himself off the ice for a plug like Scott.
Nor stupid enough to get his face bashed in, which even he would know is what would happen. There's no way Lucic helps his team by accepting a challenge from Scott. The only way they go at it is if Lucic crosses the line again and Scott takes the instigator to get his shots in.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:35 AM
old scotia

as a habs fan I will be cheering for you guys when you play the Bruins,

I wonder if Lucic will run from Scott as he did from Laraques,

I noticed when Scott went to the Rangers he challenged Chara twice, hopefully it will come to fruition,

it will also be nice to see Scott feed Thornton a fist as well...now got to see when you play the Bruins.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Digable5

Quote:

I can't wait for him to turn your forwards into a pylon.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:

...did they not keep Kaleta?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Exactly.

Scott's role:

1.) Play seven minutes a game, max, and don't screw anything up.
2.) Allows other Sabres to play with more chippy, knowing "their dad" is the biggest, toughest dad around.
3.) Ensure Sabres don't get taken advantage of. Sure, guys like Lucic don't want to fight Scott. But if something like what happens to Miller happens again, Scott comes on, takes the instigator, and sends a message.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

This really depends on Lindy. Will he allow Scott the leeway to really enforce if things get hectic? If someone runs Miller would Lindy pat him on the back for taking a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench a-la Eric Godard?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
This really depends on Lindy. Will he allow Scott the leeway to really enforce if things get hectic? If someone runs Miller would Lindy pat him on the back for taking a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench a-la Eric Godard?
I'm not sure if Lindy would tell him to leave the bench, but I know the next shift Lucic is on the ice he'll have to answer for it. Or looking back to the Senators game from a few years back, he may put him on the ice to make a punching bag out of Bergeron or Seguin or someone.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Lindy put out his goons against OTTs top scoring line a few years ago in the playoffs....I doubt he has any reservations on doing it during the regular season.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Pretty sure Kaleta is an RFA...last I heard Darcy said he would be qualifying all of our RFAs

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I'm not sure if Lindy would tell him to leave the bench, but I know the next shift Lucic is on the ice he'll have to answer for it. Or looking back to the Senators game from a few years back, he may put him on the ice to make a punching bag out of Bergeron or Seguin or someone.
This. Ruff just needs to give Scott the green light on the instigator.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Freezerburn

I think the role of the 'dedicated enforcer' is all but dead and unnecessary so I don't really understand this signing. I'd rather they sign someone who could play some solid bottom minutes and fight when required to.

Also, I think people are suffering from wishful thinking hoping that Scott beats Lucic to a pulp. Lucic is a 1st/2nd line player and John Scott will be lucky if he plays more than 5 mins in a night. They aren't going to fight.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Lindy put out his goons against OTTs top scoring line a few years ago in the playoffs....I doubt he has any reservations on doing it during the regular season.
That was a regular season game. And he hasn't done anything a quarter-so-bold since.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Not saying you're wrong but if you're referring to the post-Drury elbow that was the regular season. Peters never played in the playoffs.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Digable5

Quote:
That was a regular season game. And he hasn't done anything a quarter-so-bold since.
Well I think Ruff is a coach very respectful of the written and unwritten rules of hockey. He may have taken some flak for that move against Ottawa and saw the error of his ways. But, make no mistake that, if Scott isn't on the ice or even in the lineup when something like the Miller-Lucic situation happens again, Ruff will have no hesitation using Scott to right the ship. Last season Gaustad took on Lucic and essentially got his face punched in and didn't necessarily help us all that much to regain respect, dignity, security, etc.... Put Scott in Gaustad's shoes and I expect the result to be different.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
ogoaltorp

When will people realize that this team is never tough enough to endure a playoff run. Sounds like most here want a team full of Brad Boyes's !!! Unreal !!!

Scott makes everyone a little bigger and tougher.

And........ for the price is a great addition.

Again....... FOR THE PRICE IS A GREAT ADDITION.

ogoaltorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoaltorp View Post
When will people realize that this team is never tough enough to endure a playoff run. Sounds like most here want a team full of Brad Boyes's !!! Unreal !!!

Scott makes everyone a little bigger and tougher.

And........ for the price is a great addition.

Again....... FOR THE PRICE IS A GREAT ADDITION.
John Scott has nothing to do with a playoff run for the Sabres.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
gallagt01

15 pages for John ****ing Scott.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote