HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Brad Boyes

Old
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
Question about Brad Boyes

Hey guys, Isles fan with a question about Brad Boyes.

Who did he play with (on his lines) that gave him those high goal totals? I want to know this because I want to see if he got through mostly his skill or his line mates helped him (like JT91 might help him here).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M Moulson Ale: 07-01-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Lines not lies
M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
BadgersandBlues

Paul Kariya

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
kimzey59

Paul Kariya and Keith Tkachuk

JT might help Boyes some, but it won't rekindle his goal scoring ability. Boyes stopped going to the net and lost his ability to hit the net with his shot. It's amental thing with Boyes and no linemate is going to wake him up.

That said; there is no reason for Boyes to only notch 23 point either. The goals may not be coming for Boyes, but he should still be good for 35-40 assists and 50 ish points(roughly the same numbers as Parenteau).

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
WichitaBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Paul Kariya and Keith Tkachuk

JT might help Boyes some, but it won't rekindle his goal scoring ability. Boyes stopped going to the net and lost his ability to hit the net with his shot. It's amental thing with Boyes and no linemate is going to wake him up.

That said; there is no reason for Boyes to only notch 23 point either. The goals may not be coming for Boyes, but he should still be good for 35-40 assists and 50 ish points(roughly the same numbers as Parenteau).
I liken Boyes to a closer in baseball that has a hell of a fastball but just doesn't know where its going. Prepare yourself to be frustrated by a guy with good wheels a great shot but horrible accuracy. When the game gets more physical the less boyes shows up.

WichitaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
BlueSinceBirth

At 1 mil per a year, this is a great risk to take. The guy is money in the shootouts. I'm not sure if any linemates can get him anywhere close to the level he was at though. He used to have a laser one timer and was pretty accurate with it, but now it usually goes high and wide.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Stang

Yeah played with Kariya a lot.
In general, he's good in a shootout...but other than that, you will quickly become frustrated watching Brad "High and Wide" Boyes.
There are people that swear both for and against this but...Boyes seemed to have trouble hitting the net after having to switch sticks when Mission was bought out and his stick was discontinued. Several of us on the forums even looked into buying some off eBay (they are on sale now, you guys may want to start pooling money!) and sending them to him in hopes they would help him hit the net again.

Edit: Nevermind, those sticks are left handed and Boyes shoots right handed...then again, I doubt that could make his shot any less accurate

Last edited by Stang: 07-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
He sucks

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
His career was basically fed from Paul Kariya, but he's decent defensively and absolutely money in the shootouts. If he gets put with JT, who knows, maybe he'll score again. You can do a lot worse than sign Boyes for $1M, his shootout skills are almost worth that.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Mike Liut

He's a floater who plays the perimeter. He is Chris Stewart without the fighting.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I wouldn't have high hopes for an amazing resurgence. He's had so many chances to break out of that mental funk. Its not happening.

But for $1M, I think you'll get a guy with production worth that much. And if he continues to do well in the shoot-outs, may steal a point here and there for you. The problem is, you pretty much have to use him in a top 6 role due to his one-sided game. For most decent teams, he isn't good enough to crack the line-up in that spot.....and he'll make you curse on a bottom 6 role.

Good luck. But I'd expect about the same guy you saw in Buffalo. At least not much was gambled on him.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Brad Boyes' shootouts are worth the 1 mill that's spent on him. He is incredibly skilled for someone making that kind of money. I don't know what happened to that laser accurate one time from the circle, but it's been gone for a while. If he played with JT, he'd probably put up decent points, maybe 45-55. That's great production for 1 mill.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Paul Karyia and Andy Mcdonald.

But really like Manny Legacy said he's high glove side or nothing at all. He's honestly a steal at 1m because he'll get you 3-4 wins himself with just shootout wins. And who knows maybe he gets 25-30 goals with first line minutes with Tavares.

Just don't get your hopes up.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:04 AM
oPlaiD

Boyes was lucky in his big years with the Blues. His shooting percentage was off the charts and while some of that may be because of Kariya, most of it was just plain luck.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
jimmykay

I really hope that he has a resurgence. I have a signed Boyes 3rd jersey that I love to wear to games. I'd like to be able to bring it out this year with some form of pride.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
I would say if he get's allot of ice time, PP minutes he could put up more points then most think especially if he's in a low pressure situation. But as the stakes go up you'll see less of his skill.

Even if JT91 helps him a little at the beginning of the year he'll disappear pretty quickly because he's very easy to defend.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I would say if he get's allot of ice time, PP minutes he could put up more points then most think especially if he's in a low pressure situation. But as the stakes go up you'll see less of his skill.

Even if JT91 helps him a little at the beginning of the year he'll disappear pretty quickly because he's very easy to defend.
That's the exact same thing I was thinking.

Earlier in the thread someone posted that Boyes a little lucky, but Boyes has a terrific shot, if only limited in range and style. He scored so many goals because he had excellent passers to play with. A great, quick, tape-to-tape pass across the slot and Boyes scored the one-timer.

Goalies are much more aware of his one-timer and defenders don't collapse so much, but play the cross-ice passing lanes when Boyes is on the ice. He's not very good at creating his own shot unless it is during a shootout.

So, yes, Boyes is very easily defended nowadays.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
stlweir

For reasons unknown he has completely lost his scoring touch. He was the go to guy on the PP and was deadly with his one timer. Still good in shoot outs he's a long shot.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 85
Thanks for the input guys!

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

The thing about Boyes is that he is a very good stickhandler and passer. He can really create in traffic around the net and in the corners. Emphasis on can, because, for whatever reason, he lacks the intensity to make it all come together. When the pressure is off and he's playing with confidence and his linemates are doing a good chunk of the work, he can be a very good complimentary scorer.

When his goalscoring dropped off, but his points rose with the Blues, it was because his style changed. The Blues didn't have any puck-carrying defensemen and Boyes was frequently the guy who moved the puck out of the zone and up the ice for the team. As a result, he didn't get as many even-strength scoring chances because, as a complimentary player, he filled the role the team needed. Even though he has continued to fade, it's a rare quality to be able to shift from scorer to distributor like that; so, in the right circumstance, he could see a resurgence. That's not likely, because, as I said, he doesn't have the intensity to go with all of his skill, but it's not out of the question.

If Boyes could have Steen's drive for just one shift, I bet he'd create a goal.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
oPlaiD

Whatever Boyes' problems are, he's worth more than what you guys are paying him, so you'll probably be happy with the overall results on the ice, even if it seems like you could be getting more.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post

Then again, if people are focusing on Boyes instead of Tavares, that's a good situation for the Islanders as well.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote