HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Crabb for one year.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Aucoin prevented that one goal. And got out of the way of an Ovi PP goal once. Dominated.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Lamb#8-Ribs-Crabb putting the biscuit in the basquet, makes sense to me.

Ovenchicken-Ribs-Crabb

I think that's what Fred Flintstone had on top of his car.

Crabb sounds like a good guy. Depth is a good thing. He might be short on skill but goes all out ala Hendricks (who was excellent in the playoffs).

Still, the top 6 is mediocre for an NHL team.

Ovnchkn-Backs-(Brouwer?)
(Laich?)-Ribs-(______?)

I feel like I'm forgetting someone. If I am, he must not be too good.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:05 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I feel like I'm forgetting someone. If I am, he must not be too good.
Johansson?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Johansson?
Yes, thanks. JoJo, Laich and Brouwer are not legit top 6ers on a SC winner.

I do like Brouwer, though. He's a model 3rd line winger. Plays an honest game, occaisional amazing shot (GWOTG against BOS!). I'm happy with that trade.

Jojo is a great skater, sometimes with Mike Grier hands, and sometimes with Joe Sakic hands. Weird player.

Laich is a solid 3LW but who has been "invented" as a 2C or 2LW. Yeah, like Ken Klee was a top pairing Dman.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

George is quite the inventor

"At some point, you start inventing players and making them out to be better than they are and paying more than you should.”

Which players has he invented?

Jeff Schultz top pairing LD. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Laich as a center, I think he can be a 2LW with a savvy center and scoring RW

Old
07-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George is quite the inventor

"At some point, you start inventing players and making them out to be better than they are and paying more than you should.”

Which players has he invented?

Jeff Schultz top pairing LD. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Laich as a center, I think he can be a 2LW with a savvy center and scoring RW

Tyler F. Sloan. Ken Klee. Dave Steckel. Joe Murphy. Brendan Morrison, Dimitri (Karamazov) Mirinov, Jeff Schultz, Neuvy (!), AnGus, Flash.

It's odd, George has (or once had) the ability to judge NHL talent. He has made many shrewed moves. But he is so gunshy, twitchy...consumed with self-doubt...he is paralyzed to make blockbusters. He cannot do it. That one thing makes it impossible IMO for him to win the Cup. LAK brought in Jeff Carter and Mike Richards this year (and possibly other guys). Fortune Favors the Bold. They were bold. They brought in crazy man D. Sutter to coach. Bold.

Lou trades up to get guys. Fires coaches on a lark. Signs Kovalchuck for $100 Billion Dollars and tells Bettman to go **** himself "I'll be happy to lose a 1st rounder, old sport." Bold.

Ted and George are the opposite of bold. They test the water with their toes. Winners cannonball in even where rocks are sticking out of the water.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Atlas

And of course, boldness doesn't guarantee success. But all else being equal, bold moves give the team a spiritual charge. When management is obsessed with winning it becomes a part of the team atmosphere. It brings an excitement to the game, a sense of the unexpected rather than, "Here comes Laich again...ah, he didn't pass...as expected...<whistle>...and it hits Brodeur in the crest."

As GM, you have to be right more than you're wrong. But it's ok to be wrong sometimes. Ted Williams didn't get a hit every time he came to the plate.

D. Mironov hurt but it didn't kill is. Nylander hurt and was weird but we were still right there.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

The younger fans only see George's post lockout body of work. Can you imagine how ugly it would be without Ovi.

We can only compare George against his peers. And he does appear to be gun shy to me. His biggest move, getting Jagr, was by all accounts a directive from Ted. His biggest moves - the sell off.

Last edited by Majik1987: 07-03-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: qdp and response
Old
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
smitty10

Good signing.

He's a depth guy who can play anywhere in the bottom 6 and be productive. He provides grittiness, two-way play and the occasional goal.

You'll love him. Great team player and will sacrifice everything to win. He's a less skilled, more physical version of Grabovski.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It's probably just a typo. Gun shy is two words, duh.

The younger fans only see George's post lockout body of work. Can you imagine how ugly it would be without Ovi.

We can only compare George against his peers. And he does appear to be gun shy to me. His biggest move, getting Jagr, was by all accounts a directive from Ted. His biggest moves - the sell off.
Well, we don't know if GMGM is being handicapped by Ted. Ted could've possibly said "no blockbuster FA signings, we build from within". Seems like that is the same approach the Wizards are taking. Ted seems to have this idea that drafting and building from within is the right way to win, but I'm not sure that will work in the NHL and NBA.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I agree Ty. George spent over the cap last summer IIRC, and needed Poti to not heal up. Coupled with the bank crippling Poti signing, he handcuffed himself to make any moves to address all the problems that always seem to happen. He changed coaches and systems, yet did not move nor acquire a player in light of those. Aucoin was his deadline day add.

Again I agree Ted may well have pointed this all out to George. Players can be acquired in months outside of July. Cool hand George makes his moves and largely sits back. He may add at the deadline, but that's it.

Maybe this year he will recognize players not developing or not excelling in Oates's system, and do as he has been hinting, make more trades than he has in the past. Instead of just watching his assets scratched for months at a time.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Crabb? Blatant pandering to the Baltimore market.

Eh, s'alright.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote