HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Salute to the leafs for today

Old
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Deuce Awesome

vCash: 500
A Salute to the leafs for today

Seriously! Looking at the players who were signed today makes me so glad that the Leafs stayed relatively inactive.

I was dreading opening the TSN page and seeing some mediocre player handed millions of dollars by us, fortunately that was not the case.

Burke/Nonis et all, I salute you.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

I agree. I swear some fans want Burke to do something just for the sake of doing something.

Except these somethings end up being Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly.

Then, after the fact, these same fans say "I wish Burke didn't do anything on July 1st".

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Seriously! Looking at the players who were signed today makes me so glad that the Leafs stayed relatively inactive.

I was dreading opening the TSN page and seeing some mediocre player handed millions of dollars by us, fortunately that was not the case.

Burke/Nonis et all, I salute you.

Agreed. I'm not too disappointed with the moves but I do hope they clear the deadweight and let the kids play unlike last year.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Pyromaniac3

Last year, Burke didn't do anything on the first day. Then he signed Connolly. Might want to wait few days before you start praising.

Having said that, I really doubt Burke signs anyone at all. We have too many forwards fighting for very few spots.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Last year, Burke didn't do anything on the first day. Then he signed Connolly. Might want to wait few days before you start praising.

Having said that, I really doubt Burke signs anyone at all. We have too many forwards fighting for very few spots.
I can still see him sign a short term stop-gap goalie before the season begins.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM
colchar

I'm also glad they didn't get caught up in the signings today.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I can still see him sign a short term stop-gap goalie before the season begins.
So sick of the stop gaps.. Just fix the gap permanently

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Predaleafs

in before the we didnt do anything because burke was busy walking in the parade... that fool.

I actually applaud him for doing that in memory of his sun. Some forget he has Nonis, Louiselle and the opinion of Staios if he is still here to do it. Remember Nonis was an NHL gm as well

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I agree. I swear some fans want Burke to do something just for the sake of doing something.

Except these somethings end up being Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly.

Then, after the fact, these same fans say "I wish Burke didn't do anything on July 1st".
Finger was a Fletcher signing, not a Burke signing.

And please tell me exactly what signing Connolly prevented the Leafs from doing? It was a zero risk high reward scenario. If he has another piss poor season hes gone in the summer. Signing him didnt prevent us from signing Richards or any other impact UFA.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Brown Dog

Yeah, some stupid contracts were handed out today (not unexpectedly), and I'm glad we weren't in on it.

Based on this year's crop of UFAs, though, I imagine Burke will do most of his work via trades.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
FlareKnight

I will say that this day went as I had hoped. Not jumping in on all the bad signings. Of course I agree that it's early to be throwing around praise since Connolly was signed on the 2nd last year .

Don't expect anything to really be fixed via UFA this year. It'll be trades or nothing really.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Couldn't agree more.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
So sick of the stop gaps.. Just fix the gap permanently
THIS

I'm sick and tired of people yapping about this guy or that guy is just a stop gap . Either fix the gaps or just go with some scrubs from the minors and leave the cap space open until we can aquire some quality talent . I mean what's the freaking difference , all we'd do is lose either way .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
THIS

I'm sick and tired of people yapping about this guy or that guy is just a stop gap . Either fix the gaps or just go with some scrubs from the minors and leave the cap space open until we can aquire some quality talent . I mean what's the freaking difference , all we'd do is lose either way .
That's the spirit!

I think a stop-gap goaltender could prove to be useful in our situation to see how well Reimer and Scrivens do the next couple of seasons. They see if they're good enough to stick around for the future and to be depended on.

Unless your suggesting to get a legit number 1 goaltender like Luongo and pay a bunch of assets. That could work too I guess.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

yes sir.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Finger was a Fletcher signing, not a Burke signing.

And please tell me exactly what signing Connolly prevented the Leafs from doing? It was a zero risk high reward scenario. If he has another piss poor season hes gone in the summer. Signing him didnt prevent us from signing Richards or any other impact UFA.
A low risk high reward signing is Boyes $1M for 1 yr by NYI.
Burke has made his worst mistakes during the UFA frenzy and he could learn something here from Snow. Maybe he did this year - we will see.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Based on this year's crop of UFAs, though, I imagine Burke will do most of his work via trades.
That's exactly what they said on TSN.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Stephen

One guy I wish we had signed was Ray Whitney. Old as time, plenty of veteran savvy and experience, not very expensive, still productive and smart as hell as a player. You could say we have enough smallish wingers, but I feel like he could have been a real steadying influence for the group and a good mentor.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
That's the spirit!

I think a stop-gap goaltender could prove to be useful in our situation to see how well Reimer and Scrivens do the next couple of seasons. They see if they're good enough to stick around for the future and to be depended on.

Unless your suggesting to get a legit number 1 goaltender like Luongo and pay a bunch of assets. That could work too I guess.
I'm not interested in Lou and 4 years of Wilsons run and gun system destroyed any chance we had to evaluate the goalies we've had .

I'm basically saying i'm tired of Burke bringing in nothing players and almost never giving any of the kids we have a chance coming out of camp . If Burkes going to do a full rebuild then he should leave a few spots open for prospects like Kadri or potential depth players like D'Amigo . Enough of this half assed crap of signing stop gaps .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Good thread. I agree with the OP.

Also I love how Burke showed the New Jacks on this board how easily Steckel can be replaced (McClement).

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post

That has to be on purpose, I am sure he is looking to package some guys in hopes of filing a few holes elsewhere.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Rude Dog

Agreed. I would rather have the cap space just in case someone becomes available for trade throughout the year.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I'm not interested in Lou and 4 years of Wilsons run and gun system destroyed any chance we had to evaluate the goalies we've had .

I'm basically saying i'm tired of Burke bringing in nothing players and almost never giving any of the kids we have a chance coming out of camp . If Burkes going to do a full rebuild then he should leave a few spots open for prospects like Kadri or potential depth players like D'Amigo . Enough of this half assed crap of signing stop gaps .
I agree for the forward positions, they're pretty full already and there's young players ready to make the jump.

For the goaltending though I think Burke is looking for a temporary Vet to help take some pressure off of Reimer.That could help his development by not forcing James to take on a whole season and we're not too sure if Scrivens can get enough experience in a back up role. Ben might be better off trying to dominate the AHL again and get a lot more games under his belt.

Under Carlyle we could see a more consistent defence and maybe it'll help Reimer develop more and protect him. Seems like a good time to re-evaluate the goaltending with a new coach.

A UFA backup goaltender would probably cost next to nothing and most likely would not exceed more than 2 years if signed. That would leave plenty of time to evaluate Reimer and Scrivens and the team goes from there. Nothing much to lose and hopefully a potential gain in consistency.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
A low risk high reward signing is Boyes $1M for 1 yr by NYI.
Burke has made his worst mistakes during the UFA frenzy and he could learn something here from Snow. Maybe he did this year - we will see.
Woah, learn something from Snow? Never thought I'd see the day. haha

I do love the Boyes signing though. They need to get another veteran forward and a couple on the point, but overall I like what the Isles have done in the past couple years. They do need to get over the hump though.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Pi

Free agent signings just don't work out for us at the moment. Best to stay far far away from those terrible signings because we've been through the Komisarek's, Connolly, LEBAD, Armstrong etc.

I'd rather see what the kids from the Marlies are made of. Very impressed and excited to see what Kadri and D'Amigo will do to stick in the NHL for good.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote