HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Salute to the leafs for today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
  #1
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
A Salute to the leafs for today

Seriously! Looking at the players who were signed today makes me so glad that the Leafs stayed relatively inactive.

I was dreading opening the TSN page and seeing some mediocre player handed millions of dollars by us, fortunately that was not the case.

Burke/Nonis et all, I salute you.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
  #2
Drew311
Bustlander
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,119
vCash: 500
I agree. I swear some fans want Burke to do something just for the sake of doing something.

Except these somethings end up being Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly.

Then, after the fact, these same fans say "I wish Burke didn't do anything on July 1st".

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  #3
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Seriously! Looking at the players who were signed today makes me so glad that the Leafs stayed relatively inactive.

I was dreading opening the TSN page and seeing some mediocre player handed millions of dollars by us, fortunately that was not the case.

Burke/Nonis et all, I salute you.

Agreed. I'm not too disappointed with the moves but I do hope they clear the deadweight and let the kids play unlike last year.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
  #4
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
Last year, Burke didn't do anything on the first day. Then he signed Connolly. Might want to wait few days before you start praising.

Having said that, I really doubt Burke signs anyone at all. We have too many forwards fighting for very few spots.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM
  #5
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Last year, Burke didn't do anything on the first day. Then he signed Connolly. Might want to wait few days before you start praising.

Having said that, I really doubt Burke signs anyone at all. We have too many forwards fighting for very few spots.
I can still see him sign a short term stop-gap goalie before the season begins.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM
  #6
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
I'm also glad they didn't get caught up in the signings today.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
  #7
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I can still see him sign a short term stop-gap goalie before the season begins.
So sick of the stop gaps.. Just fix the gap permanently

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
  #8
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
in before the we didnt do anything because burke was busy walking in the parade... that fool.


I actually applaud him for doing that in memory of his sun. Some forget he has Nonis, Louiselle and the opinion of Staios if he is still here to do it. Remember Nonis was an NHL gm as well

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
  #9
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I agree. I swear some fans want Burke to do something just for the sake of doing something.

Except these somethings end up being Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly.

Then, after the fact, these same fans say "I wish Burke didn't do anything on July 1st".
Finger was a Fletcher signing, not a Burke signing.

And please tell me exactly what signing Connolly prevented the Leafs from doing? It was a zero risk high reward scenario. If he has another piss poor season hes gone in the summer. Signing him didnt prevent us from signing Richards or any other impact UFA.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
  #10
Brown Dog
Registered User
 
Brown Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Yeah, some stupid contracts were handed out today (not unexpectedly), and I'm glad we weren't in on it.

Based on this year's crop of UFAs, though, I imagine Burke will do most of his work via trades.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
  #11
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
I will say that this day went as I had hoped. Not jumping in on all the bad signings. Of course I agree that it's early to be throwing around praise since Connolly was signed on the 2nd last year .

Don't expect anything to really be fixed via UFA this year. It'll be trades or nothing really.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
  #12
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Couldn't agree more.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
  #13
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
So sick of the stop gaps.. Just fix the gap permanently
THIS

I'm sick and tired of people yapping about this guy or that guy is just a stop gap . Either fix the gaps or just go with some scrubs from the minors and leave the cap space open until we can aquire some quality talent . I mean what's the freaking difference , all we'd do is lose either way .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
  #14
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
THIS

I'm sick and tired of people yapping about this guy or that guy is just a stop gap . Either fix the gaps or just go with some scrubs from the minors and leave the cap space open until we can aquire some quality talent . I mean what's the freaking difference , all we'd do is lose either way .
That's the spirit!

I think a stop-gap goaltender could prove to be useful in our situation to see how well Reimer and Scrivens do the next couple of seasons. They see if they're good enough to stick around for the future and to be depended on.

Unless your suggesting to get a legit number 1 goaltender like Luongo and pay a bunch of assets. That could work too I guess.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
  #15
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
yes sir.


Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
  #16
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Finger was a Fletcher signing, not a Burke signing.

And please tell me exactly what signing Connolly prevented the Leafs from doing? It was a zero risk high reward scenario. If he has another piss poor season hes gone in the summer. Signing him didnt prevent us from signing Richards or any other impact UFA.
A low risk high reward signing is Boyes $1M for 1 yr by NYI.
Burke has made his worst mistakes during the UFA frenzy and he could learn something here from Snow. Maybe he did this year - we will see.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
  #17
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Based on this year's crop of UFAs, though, I imagine Burke will do most of his work via trades.
That's exactly what they said on TSN.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
  #18
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,326
vCash: 500
One guy I wish we had signed was Ray Whitney. Old as time, plenty of veteran savvy and experience, not very expensive, still productive and smart as hell as a player. You could say we have enough smallish wingers, but I feel like he could have been a real steadying influence for the group and a good mentor.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
  #19
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
That's the spirit!

I think a stop-gap goaltender could prove to be useful in our situation to see how well Reimer and Scrivens do the next couple of seasons. They see if they're good enough to stick around for the future and to be depended on.

Unless your suggesting to get a legit number 1 goaltender like Luongo and pay a bunch of assets. That could work too I guess.
I'm not interested in Lou and 4 years of Wilsons run and gun system destroyed any chance we had to evaluate the goalies we've had .

I'm basically saying i'm tired of Burke bringing in nothing players and almost never giving any of the kids we have a chance coming out of camp . If Burkes going to do a full rebuild then he should leave a few spots open for prospects like Kadri or potential depth players like D'Amigo . Enough of this half assed crap of signing stop gaps .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
  #20
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Good thread. I agree with the OP.

Also I love how Burke showed the New Jacks on this board how easily Steckel can be replaced (McClement).

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
  #21
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White
 
Blaylock38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Last year, Burke didn't do anything on the first day. Then he signed Connolly. Might want to wait few days before you start praising.

Having said that, I really doubt Burke signs anyone at all. We have too many forwards fighting for very few spots.
That has to be on purpose, I am sure he is looking to package some guys in hopes of filing a few holes elsewhere.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:52 PM
  #22
Rude Dog
Registered User
 
Rude Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
Agreed. I would rather have the cap space just in case someone becomes available for trade throughout the year.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
  #23
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I'm not interested in Lou and 4 years of Wilsons run and gun system destroyed any chance we had to evaluate the goalies we've had .

I'm basically saying i'm tired of Burke bringing in nothing players and almost never giving any of the kids we have a chance coming out of camp . If Burkes going to do a full rebuild then he should leave a few spots open for prospects like Kadri or potential depth players like D'Amigo . Enough of this half assed crap of signing stop gaps .
I agree for the forward positions, they're pretty full already and there's young players ready to make the jump.

For the goaltending though I think Burke is looking for a temporary Vet to help take some pressure off of Reimer.That could help his development by not forcing James to take on a whole season and we're not too sure if Scrivens can get enough experience in a back up role. Ben might be better off trying to dominate the AHL again and get a lot more games under his belt.

Under Carlyle we could see a more consistent defence and maybe it'll help Reimer develop more and protect him. Seems like a good time to re-evaluate the goaltending with a new coach.

A UFA backup goaltender would probably cost next to nothing and most likely would not exceed more than 2 years if signed. That would leave plenty of time to evaluate Reimer and Scrivens and the team goes from there. Nothing much to lose and hopefully a potential gain in consistency.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 AM
  #24
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
A low risk high reward signing is Boyes $1M for 1 yr by NYI.
Burke has made his worst mistakes during the UFA frenzy and he could learn something here from Snow. Maybe he did this year - we will see.
Woah, learn something from Snow? Never thought I'd see the day. haha

I do love the Boyes signing though. They need to get another veteran forward and a couple on the point, but overall I like what the Isles have done in the past couple years. They do need to get over the hump though.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
  #25
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,118
vCash: 500
Free agent signings just don't work out for us at the moment. Best to stay far far away from those terrible signings because we've been through the Komisarek's, Connolly, LEBAD, Armstrong etc.

I'd rather see what the kids from the Marlies are made of. Very impressed and excited to see what Kadri and D'Amigo will do to stick in the NHL for good.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.