HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why no enforcer on the Leafs?

Old
07-01-2012, 11:17 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Why no enforcer on the Leafs?

I remember Burke lamenting after sending Orr to the Marlies but I am not clear what the deal was. Was it strictly roster numbers and they had so many guys ahead of him? Was it a cap thing? Was he admitting that Orr was so unskilled he didn't belong in the league?
Is there a chance we could see a designated hammerhead as a 7th defenceman? Would a more talented forward get considered? Could Orr be back?

Last edited by nuck: 07-02-2012 at 12:19 AM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

rats

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Orr is not an NHL level player thats why he got sent down

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
number72

I think the honest answer is that the leafs have an abundance of underachieving players - LCK. Normally one of those spots could be reserved for a player like Orr who is not that great at hockey but is enforcer.

Sadly for the leafs they have 3 players that are not good at hockey and not good enforcers. Let's hope Burke does more house cleaning like he started with Armstrong which will allow him to play the kids. I'm not sure I want to see Orr on the leafs as I'd rather it be someone who can play hockey somewhat.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Antropovsky

Orr... he's a premier fighter, maybe he's still healthy.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
Orr is not an NHL level player thats why he got sent down
No Orr was sent down because Wilson doesn't believe in enforcers, he said it before he signed in Toronto.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Ricky Bobby

Hopefully cause Burke realizes what Detroit realized years ago that there is little to no correlation between having a designated fighter/having a lot of fighting majors and winning.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Hopefully cause Burke realizes what Detroit realized years ago that there is little to no correlation between having a designated fighter/having a lot of fighting majors and winning.
The brand of hockey that Detroit plays is completely different from the brand Burke wants us to play. The brand Burke wants to play I think an enforcer is needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Orr was on the team after camp, it's telling that Carlyle's first move as coach of TO last year was recalling Rosehill.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
rimshot

Quote:
A small but young team like the Leafs needs some protection from bullies like the Bruins and the Flyers. It was painful to watch the Leafs being intimidated time after time by the heavy-weight teams.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Enforcers aren't needed to be succesful.

Tough players that can actually play hockey are though.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Orr type enforcers are useless and have no plave in the game anymore .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
JayRoadkill

Quote:
Detroit always has had fighters. Brad May, Aaron Downey, Darren McCartey, Probert, Lapointe, Shanahan, Kocur, Bertuzzi.

They always had guys ready to go, but most of them could play the game pretty well too.

Detroit apparently always feels they need some fighters in the lineup.

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Enforcers aren't needed to be succesful.

Tough players that can actually play hockey are though.
Do we have any on the team? Oh yah...Brown and.....?

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRoadkill View Post
Detroit always has had fighters. Brad May, Aaron Downey, Darren McCartey, Probert, Lapointe, Shanahan, Kocur, Bertuzzi.

They always had guys ready to go, but most of them could play the game pretty well too.

Detroit apparently always feels they need some fighters in the lineup.
Most of those guys listed are players who could fight, not exclusively fighters.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
hfsk

I dont think we need enforcers....I think the main thing our team misses is the heart and soul guys. The ones that play with emotion, high energy high impact

Orr is like Frankenstein he cant survive in the nhl when it comes to normal aspects of the game..... so the coach pins him to the bench for 55 min and lets him run loose for 5 min to try and scare the rats away with a stage fight

hfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
ALine

I wouldn't mind seeing Orr on the roster. There will be a lot of guys battling for roster spots, so he would be used sparingly. Only against teams know to be ready and willing to drop the mitts. like boston.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshot View Post
A small but young team like the Leafs needs some protection from bullies like the Bruins and the Flyers. It was painful to watch the Leafs being intimidated time after time by the heavy-weight teams.
That is where I don't agree.

When a guy like Chara or Pronger does something to one of are players. What does sending out a guy like Orr to have a staged fight accomplish?

In the same token if Dion levels someone crossing the middle of the ice. What does the oppositions 5 minute a night fighter do about it?

Heavyweights who only fight other heavyweights are occupying the spot of someone who could contribute in other ways.

Guys like Brown and Komisarek and hopefully Holzer this year who can fight but also take a regular shift but also defend their teammates have value.

The Bruins and Flyers intimidate because their hard on the puck, can cycle extremely well, are good on the forecheck and have elite skill. Not cause of some 4th line plug who might see 5 minutes a game.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I personally think it's essential to have tough players on your team like the grinders in Brown etc etc but I think it's critical to have guys like Orr. Guys you can send out to send a message when other teams try and take liberties with your players. Orr getting sent down imo had a lot more to do with his injury, after he came back he really didn't seem like the same Colton Orr. Everything seemed off and I would assume that was the major factor in him being sent down he just couldn't get anything going.

I hope we are able to bring in a legit tough guy next season or maybe Orr can regain form he's wasn't as useless as some of you guys make him out to be before his injury.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
AlmightyPO

There is a difference between getting players who are willing to fight, getting players with fighting being the reason. A team can be tough and stand up for itself without pure enforcers.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Joey24

Quote:
That is where I don't agree.

When a guy like Chara or Pronger does something to one of are players. What does sending out a guy like Orr to have a staged fight accomplish?

In the same token if Dion levels someone crossing the middle of the ice. What does the oppositions 5 minute a night fighter do about it?

Heavyweights who only fight other heavyweights are occupying the spot of someone who could contribute in other ways.

Guys like Brown and Komisarek and hopefully Holzer this year who can fight but also take a regular shift but also defend their teammates have value.

The Bruins and Flyers intimidate because their hard on the puck, can cycle extremely well, are good on the forecheck and have elite skill. Not cause of some 4th line plug who might see 5 minutes a game.
Brown is a decent fighter, Komisarek and Holzer are both pretty bad at it. Do you forget Orr taking care of Lucic something no one else on our roster could do maybe Rosehill but that would probably be a toss up.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:02 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
The brand of hockey that Detroit plays is completely different from the brand Burke wants us to play. The brand Burke wants to play I think an enforcer is needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Orr was on the team after camp, it's telling that Carlyle's first move as coach of TO last year was recalling Rosehill.
Burke's Cup winner had Moen, Thornton, Parros and May in addition to some very physical skill players. The Bruins, Rangers and Flyers were 1-2-3 in major penalties this season and Burkes Cup winning Ducks led the league in majors by a wide margin so I was kind of expecting him to add more aggression than he has. Schenn, Rosehill, and Crabb accounted for 15 of the Leafs 36 major penalities last year. JVR had none.
When BB said the club needs to get meaner maybe he meant the club will be more verbally aggressive

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:02 AM
hfsk

[QUOTE=Joey24;51918513]Brown is a decent fighter, Komisarek and Holzer are both pretty bad at it. Do you forget Orr taking care of Lucic something no one else on our roster could do maybe Rosehill but that would probably be a toss up.[/QUOTE

Id rather have dirty players that other teams fear than a enforcer....a dirty player say torres has a much bigger effect on a guy like lucic than Orr!

Orr asks Lucic to fight--lucic declines--- the game goes on...kessel garbs et all still have to deal with lucic for 25 min

hfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Team toughness and grit is more important than one goon. We have guys who aren't scared to drop the gloves but a bottom line of Brown - Steckel - Komarov is far more energetic than one of the wingers being replaced by a 'goon'

07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Mike1

I was pleasantly surprised that Burke didnt throw money at some enforcer today. There is still time but I hope they stay away from that.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Team toughness and grit is more important than one goon. We have guys who aren't scared to drop the gloves but a bottom line of Brown - Steckel - Komarov is far more energetic than one of the wingers being replaced by a 'goon'
Sorry I just don't see it that way. With the amount of ice time the 4th line should be getting it won't matter having a guy like Komarov, I would rather have a guy on the bench who will come over the boards and install the fear of god into players then a guy who's going to go out and Yap like a lap dog all night aka Colby Armstrong.