HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Read here to see if it is already reported.| FA II

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I read a study a few months ago that showed, statistically, that kids who go to public schools actually end up with higher grades, on average, when they reach university.
The typical private school curriculum, or at least those in Ontario, typically offers a broader spectrum of studies while being more challenging, so studies such as this on their own are really only one side of the coin, so to speak.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Bozak isnt much maligned and grabbo isnt the be all end all. Its just grabbo>bozak. Simple. Just like Kessel>Lupul. Bozak has never reached 50 points, something grabbo has done thrice. Bozak also couldnt outproduce grabbo when he was centering two ppg wingers when grabbo was centering two guys who hovered around .5ppg.

I dont understand what the problem is.
You have to realize Bozie at 25-26 just had a very solid year. Only 2nd NHL season and 3rd year of Pro Hockey.

If you watch him, you can see the potential, the upside and why he can fill a role and help two high skilled linemates.

Then you have to look at where Grabo was at 25-26.

He was in his 2nd season as a Leaf and had just had his first decent year as an NHLer. He had already played 3 pro season in NA and 3 in Russia.

What we are saying is Bozak is solid and can improve. Just look at the steps Grabo took over the age 26-27 and 27-28 seasons to be looked at like Leafs fans do.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:21 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
That's what I always hear, but playing with Kessel is not as easy as 1-2-3 as we have discovered watching him the past 3 years. The fact is Bozak is the most successful C for those 2(Lupul and Phil). Wlson has tried Steckle, Lombardi, Connolly, Grabo but none have had the success of Bozak, he should be credited for this, not maligned.

The Grabo with bad linemates is always an interesting discussion, the year before when they all had career years, they were all great linemates. Now in a year of struggle they are bad linemates, maybe the Center of that line gets a little criticism? Not here, he is always not the one with a halo. One thing was certain, his game went downward when Kule was hurt. Maybe Wilson was correct afterall, Kule did alot of things that made Grabo look good but went unnoticed. Bad linemates, I don't know...
I never said Grabo had bad linemates. I just said his linemates struggled. Kulie and Mac are good players.

Perhaps you have a different feelings, but I felt like Grabo was the best player on that line 90% of the time this past season. He was the only one creating chances, but no one could finish for him. He's obviously not a perfect player. He sometimes makes poor plays where he just comes in and throws a weak shot on net or into the defenders shins, and is also a bit streaky. With that said the guy has top notch effort every night and he loves it here and he has a great attitude. Burke is clearly a fan too.

I dont think we should settle for either though as our top center. One should go and we need to bring in a true number 1 someday. Id feel better with Grabo behind that number 1 vs. Bozak as I feel Bozak just doesnt look like the same player without Kessel. Grabo proved that even with struggling linemates he is a 50 pt player.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I never said Grabo had bad linemates. I just said his linemates struggled. Kulie and Mac are good players.

Perhaps you have a different feelings, but I felt like Grabo was the best player on that line 90% of the time this past season. He was the only one creating chances, but no one could finish for him. He's obviously not a perfect player. He sometimes makes poor plays where he just comes in and throws a weak shot on net or into the defenders shins, and is also a bit streaky. With that said the guy has top notch effort every night and he loves it here and he has a great attitude. Burke is clearly a fan too.

I dont think we should settle for either though as our top center. One should go and we need to bring in a true number 1 someday. Id feel better with Grabo behind that number 1 vs. Bozak as I feel Bozak just doesnt look like the same player without Kessel. Grabo proved that even with struggling linemates he is a 50 pt player.
Agreed with everything.

Old
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Bozak has trended upwards every year he's been in the league (three now). He had 15 more points last year in 9 less games than the season before. Slowly bettering that horrid +/- as well. I'm not saying he's even CLOSE to Marleau but maybe he's a late bloomer. Yes playing with Kessel and Lupul probably helped but he does have skill.
He didn't trend up with his 32 pts in 82 games in the 2010-2011 season... but i'm nit-picking. Perhaps he is, but I don't see the better-than-Paul-Stastny in him that his college coach claimed him to be. He'd make a great 3rd line C with upside, but to do that we'd have to get rid of Steckel. Im ok with that too TBH, I think McClement is a good 4th liner on a contending team (or a 3rd line C on ours... )

Old
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Bozak would be looked at much better if he could bury his unbelievable scoring chances.

And not those ho-hum scoring chances.. I'm talking about those "Jesus Christ, how did you not score" chances.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
He didn't trend up with his 32 pts in 82 games in the 2010-2011 season... but i'm nit-picking. Perhaps he is, but I don't see the better-than-Paul-Stastny in him that his college coach claimed him to be. He'd make a great 3rd line C with upside, but to do that we'd have to get rid of Steckel. Im ok with that too TBH, I think McClement is a good 4th liner on a contending team (or a 3rd line C on ours... )
Ideally, I'd like to see Grabo 2nd line C, Bozak 3rd, McClement 4th.

07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Well, at least you've went on to prove all the points I made in my posts.

I'm not looking for an argument though, so please don't start up another pointless argument.
If I recall correctly, which I do, you admitted to being out of line for attacking me because I asked you which hockey experts equated a #1 defenseman with being a star. Something you never did, I might add.

And if you're not looking for an argument, then don't start one with that first sentence.

Old
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Bozak would be looked at much better if he could bury his unbelievable scoring chances.

And not those ho-hum scoring chances.. I'm talking about those "Jesus Christ, how did you not score" chances.
If he shot on 50% of the glorious opportunities where he tries to pass instead of shooting he'd have scored 25 goals last year and I'm not exaggerating.

Old
tpc77

Quote:
I'll say it again, the much maligned Bozak finished with 4 less points than our universal best C on the team last year, despite being 3 years younger than that best C on the team and having more upside than that best C on our team. He is the one that is deemed expendable and not the other guy who is nearing 30 in 2 more years. Bozak is heading into his 3rd full season as a pro is likely to have even a better year this year. He is the only center on this team capable of playing with Kessel and Lupul, and for those that say he is just lucky he plays with those 2, how come no one else has been as good as their C as he has been? Yep, I agree he has better seasons to come as a pro.
I don`t get it either.

It`s not like I dislike Grabo either. I think he is a great player and I do not have an agenda.

However, an interesting fact is that only 10 other players from the 2004 draft has outproduced Bozak in the NHL from a PPG pace.

Add in that we already know he is good at face-offs, good speed and very smart... can you imagine the change of tune if Bozak`s hockeyDB account said :

Tyler Bozak
6 `1` 200lbs
Toronto Maple Leafs, Round 1, 9th Overall, 2004 Entry Draft

Old
Interactif

I don't see Wilson or Marleau as a Leaf at all, or that Burke would be overly interested in either. Wilson is no different than Colborne and Kadri at this point, don't see him banking on him unless we make a depth move that helps both teams D for C. Nashville may be anticipating being one D men short with Suter on the way out, so that would make sense for them. But banking on Wilson being the no. 1 or 2 C, I can't see it. Marleau seems to be beyond the age scope for the Leafs to be interested in him. I haven't seen Burke add many 30 somethings yet while he has been Leafs GM.

Old
Ritzie

Fun Fact: Marleau has missed 20 games or so in his entire NHL career. Pretty impressive.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see Grabo 2nd line C, Bozak 3rd, McClement 4th.
I'm alright with that as well..

Old
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Bozak is younger, he hit 47 pts in his 2nd full NHL season. He has more upside than Grabo at this stage of their careers. Grabo will be 29 in January, he's at his peak right now. Still 58pts is his career high, this on a run and gun team too. fact is why Bozak is with Lupul and Kessel is he compliments them well, he passes the puck where Grabo has limited vision and hogs the puck. When you have 2 elite wingers, you get them the puck and let them do their magic. Grabo needs the puck and by him being on a line with Kessel and Lupul, the true playmakers would not see much of the puck. Thus they are less effective and thus why they never formed an effective line.
Bozak is a whopping two years younger. By that age, grabbo had already ammassed 50 points playing with two second liners, something bozak couldnt do playing with two first liners. So I highly doubt bozaks potential is higher.

Bozak plays best with kessel because he is bigger. Thats why guys like lombo, connolly and grabovski dont work. Theyre too small. Bozak is not the better centerman though, and is easily replaceable. Hope you realize that.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
If he shot on 50% of the glorious opportunities where he tries to pass instead of shooting he'd have scored 25 goals last year and I'm not exaggerating.
I would also like to see him shoot more.

Hopefully this is something he can improve on as he grows older and gains more confidence.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
The typical private school curriculum, or at least those in Ontario, typically offers a broader spectrum of studies while being more challenging, so studies such as this on their own are really only one side of the coin, so to speak.
I never attended one. I always had this idea in my mind that the biggest differences were in teacher to student ratio, and unorthodox teaching styles.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Ritzie

Concerning Bozak - is there a stat on fanned shots? Pretty sure he would've led the league last year.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

This. He is very frustrating to watch most nights. Reminds me a lot of Stajan when he was a Leaf.

Blows great scoring chances, weak on the puck, disappears for long stretches during the season.

Many characteristics you do not want in a top six centre. He really isn't much of a factor on the top line, seeing as Kessel and Lupul seem to create their own offensive chances. Bozak is good on the draw I guess, but i'm intrigued to see what Kessel and Lupul could accomplished with a star playmaking centre. Obviously one may not be available, but a guy can dream.

Old
dubplatepressure

Quote:
I don't see Wilson or Marleau as a Leaf at all, or that Burke would be overly interested in either. Wilson is no different than Colborne and Kadri at this point, don't see him banking on him unless we make a depth move that helps both teams D for C. Nashville may be anticipating being one D men short with Suter on the way out, so that would make sense for them. But banking on Wilson being the no. 1 or 2 C, I can't see it. Marleau seems to be beyond the age scope for the Leafs to be interested in him. I haven't seen Burke add many 30 somethings yet while he has been Leafs GM.
I wouldn't allow the age thing to preclude your consideration of someone... Leafs offered a contract to Jagr (if you believe the rumour mill). We need vets too

Old
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
I don't see Wilson or Marleau as a Leaf at all, or that Burke would be overly interested in either. Wilson is no different than Colborne and Kadri at this point, don't see him banking on him unless we make a depth move that helps both teams D for C. Nashville may be anticipating being one D men short with Suter on the way out, so that would make sense for them. But banking on Wilson being the no. 1 or 2 C, I can't see it. Marleau seems to be beyonf the age scope for the Leafs to be interested in him. I haven't seen Burke add many 30 somethings yet while he has been Leafs GM.
How so?

Old
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
If I recall correctly, which I do, you admitted to being out of line for attacking me because I asked you which hockey experts equated a #1 defenseman with being a star. Something you never did, I might add.

And if you're not looking for an argument, then don't start one with that first sentence.
Okay, whatever. Sure.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzie View Post
Concerning Bozak - is there a stat on fanned shots? Pretty sure he would've led the league last year.
Nah he would be number two after kulemin

Old
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

New thread up. Cut the garbage trolling each other, guys.

Closed Thread