HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Offer Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond a 2-way contract. And call him if needed.
Thornton probably wouldn't even want to fight. I think were better off with some agitators then having these heavyweights and falling right into the Bruins(for example) game plan

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
This is pretty much not the case, certainly as far as Prust is concerned. He will fight whoever he needs to fight, not wait for the enforcer sitting on the bench to come on and do the job. Hence he fought Gillies when Jody Shelley was dressed for the Rangers, Lucic when Rupp and Bickel were dressed, etc.
Although he might be willing to fight other heavies, it might not be ideal to have a little guy doing it every night. He also fought MacIntyre. We have him for four years and I think he will wear out quickly if he is always fighting the big guy on the other team.

Balk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Trevor Gillies would be freacking hilarious in Montreal.
I am a huuuuge gillies fan. Useless as **** on a bull, but a ****ing lunatic. If we're heading into lottery territory, hire the man!!!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Thornton probably wouldn't even want to fight. I think were better off with some agitators then having these heavyweights and falling right into the Bruins(for example) game plan
Right ! Why bother to hire a unskilled goon to play 6 games a year against Boston ?

One is not enough anyway. At least 10 guys on the Bruins roster can drop them at any time.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:45 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
This is pretty much not the case, certainly as far as Prust is concerned. He will fight whoever he needs to fight, not wait for the enforcer sitting on the bench to come on and do the job. Hence he fought Gillies when Jody Shelley was dressed for the Rangers, Lucic when Rupp and Bickel were dressed, etc.
Having Prust and Armstrong get punched out every game is not a good idea. Another example of Montreal not knowing how to support their players. Gomez hasn't had the right linemates and gets blamed for everything. Markov had to carry boneheads for years, and was blamed. Our goalies get blamed for everything. Our small centers have to play man-up against bigger players. Our top line has been small in the recent past and played a cycling game. Terrible idea. On and on.

Therrien was good his first time here, but had his flaws, but I always saw him and any coach in Montreal as a miracle worker with our small teams. In Pittsburgh he was stronger. But bringing in Bouillon and Armstrong is confusing to me. Who will they play with, for what purpose? Armstrong scored 22, but also is a cheapshot artist whose D is questionable and will get punched out by everyone. Bouillon is a decent #6 or even better, a 7. But 1.5m.

I just don't understand what is happening yet. I hope for the best. I just don't see these new guys being effective (other than Prust maybe... if he has some guys on his line who can back him up). Both Prust and Moen are 4th line left wingers, no? I dunno... don't get it.

I'm glad he said no to Jagr, hope he doesn't sign Semin or any other gutless player (tho Semin recently showed guts in a contract playoff season).

Last edited by tinyzombies: 07-06-2012 at 11:58 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
This I agree with. Forget pound for pound matchups, if we want to focus on the Bruins that much, continue to troll them and bring in as many pests as possible.

Plus agitators usually play hockey.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Kirk Muller

No they dont need true heavy weights as in guys who cant play at least a regular 4th line shift.

I do like having guys like Shawn Thornton who can play 10 minutes a night not a George Parros who can barely handle 5 minutes a night.

I want hockey players who can potentially fight not fighters who just happen to play hockey.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
No they dont need true heavy weights as in guys who cant play at least a regular 4th line shift.

I do like having guys like Shawn Thornton who can play 10 minutes a night not a George Parros who can barely handle 5 minutes a night.

I want hockey players who can potentially fight not fighters who just happen to play hockey.
Shawn Thornton is a diving geek loser. I'd be embarrassed to have him on the Habs.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Shawn Thornton is a diving geek loser. I'd be embarrassed to have him on the Habs.
then you would be ashamed of all hab players too currently because they all dive. EVERY SINGLE hockey player dives.

and geek loser, didnt know that was a hockey player criteria but whatever floats your boat

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Beendair Donedat

Shawn Thornton can't hear you with his cup rings plugging his ears.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:47 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
then you would be ashamed of all hab players too currently because they all dive. EVERY SINGLE hockey player dives.

and geek loser, didnt know that was a hockey player criteria but whatever floats your boat
Yeah, all guys do dive. Some manage to embarrass themselves quite badly on a particular play, and Thornton did that and then some.

I look forward to the Boston games next year...somehow I think they're going to be reaaaal exciting.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Why not? PLLL isn't a 6'6'' 250 lbs goon. He's clearly Thornton material and Thornton has fought tougher guys before....I mean, Thornton did go against Fax Laraque didn't he? And others.

Talking about Laraque....I dream about him last night that he had a try-out with either Phoenix or Winnipeg, not too sure. Can't wait to see this happening... Come to think of it, I should start a blog and be an insider about that news....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why not? PLLL isn't a 6'6'' 250 lbs goon. He's clearly Thornton material and Thornton has fought tougher guys before....I mean, Thornton did go against Fax Laraque didn't he? And others.

Talking about Laraque....I dream about him last night that he had a try-out with either Phoenix or Winnipeg, not too sure. Can't wait to see this happening... Come to think of it, I should start a blog and be an insider about that news....
Lol, dreaming about Laraque. HAHAHA.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Right ! Why bother to hire a unskilled goon to play 6 games a year against Boston ?

One is not enough anyway. At least 10 guys on the Bruins roster can drop them at any time.
Boston is not the only team in the league though. It's not about beating Boston either. Agitators are good, but when trying to play a more rugged team with guys who can drop them, it's nice to give those agitators some support, so that they have the freedom to agitate, while someone else is able to answer the bell if necessary.

You don't need a fighter for every fighter. There is a reason why some guys on the team asked last year to bring in some more toughness, and there is a reason that guys on the team praised Staubitz.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
I am a huuuuge gillies fan. Useless as **** on a bull, but a ****ing lunatic. If we're heading into lottery territory, hire the man!!!
He signed in the KHL.

Having Godard would be nice.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
j52

If his parents are married then he ls legitimate. If not it is none of our business.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
He signed in the KHL.

Having Godard would be nice.
Seriously?

Edit: wait! He really got signed to the khl? Is there a demand for skill-less goons there or what? The only thing he has going for him is his awesome handlebar mustache and his imperviousness to suspensions. Cause yo know, hes crazy...

Double edit: since watching that islanders-****sburgh game, I looooove that man...

Old
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Seriously?

Edit: wait! He really got signed to the khl? Is there a demand for skill-less goons there or what? The only thing he has going for him is his awesome handlebar mustache and his imperviousness to suspensions. Cause yo know, hes crazy...

Double edit: since watching that islanders-****sburgh game, I looooove that man...
He signed for a joke of a team called Vityaz Chekhov, in essence they're a bunch of talentless goons that goes around fighting instead of playing hockey.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He signed for a joke of a team called Vityaz Chekhov, in essence they're a bunch of talentless goons that goes around fighting instead of playing hockey.
Oh yeah those guys.... Saw a video of one of their 'games'. Brutal.... He'll fit right in then!

Old
07-08-2012, 09:07 AM
TennisMenace

I just rechecked the weights of all our players, and you can't ignore the numbers. Our two new players, Armstrong and Prust, are both listed as 193. Guys, do you really want them, especially Prust, to have to do battle with guys 220 or above on a continual basis? I don't. Even White is listed at that same weight - 193.

Moen may be 215, but he's not that good of a fighter and wouldn't have a chance against the leagues bigger bad boys.

At the very least, we need one big bad boy to add restraint to the other team's instigators, otherwise, it will be free shots on our boys. Heck, even Florida added two, not just one bad boy - Parros and Jacques. Why did they add two? It's always good to have one as a spare just in case, and they don't cost that much (generally 1 million). Heck, we pay 7 million to a total bum, and if you go down the salaries, you see we give out millions to guys who show very little.

We certainly could certainly pay 1 million to a guy who will contribute.
Now come on Habs - do the right thing and get us at least one bona fide strong man!
TM

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Eh, it would be nice to have, but it might be compensated for if we have indeed improved our team toughness. If the team becomes more assertive with the additions we have made so far, then I'm satisfied. So, I don't think one's really needed, but I'm open to acquiring one in the future if push comes to shove.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I just rechecked the weights of all our players, and you can't ignore the numbers. Our two new players, Armstrong and Prust, are both listed as 193. Guys, do you really want them, especially Prust, to have to do battle with guys 220 or above on a continual basis? I don't. Even White is listed at that same weight - 193.
You've yet to really demonstrate that adding a heavyweight enforcer will prevent Prust from fighting guys 220 lbs or over. He has done so previously even when having a big enforcer dressed on his team. the error really I think is to assume that just because the opposition has an enforcer dressed, someone has to fight them. That more teams started to recognise that truth was the reason so many enforcers ended up in the ahl last year and no doubt will again next season. Even the archpriest of truculence Brian Burke made that point when waiving Colton Orr, pointing out that having Orr in the team was not effective in stopping agitators or cheap shot artists and that other teams not dressing someone for him to fight was simply making Orr irrelevant.

WRT to Florida, Jacques played 6 nhl games last year and is on a two way contract. He is destined for the ahl unless something unexpected happens. Parros mainly signed for the marketability of his moustache I would have thought...

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see it as a necessity, sure it would be entertaining to watch but overall wouldn't help the team much. We have good physical guys in the bottom 6 now and that should be fine

Habsfannick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
ninetynine*

Yes, you do.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:58 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

And how many on Montreal's roster ?

Bouillon
White
Prust
Moen
Bourque
Armstrong ( although not very good at it haha )
Subban

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote