HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
I really hope Sather is listening to what Gorton said about a week and a half ago:

Quote:
One major reason the Rangers could end up holding onto those picks is that with the impending collective bargaining agreement negotiations, teamsí uncertainty regarding the salary cap and several other factors could leave them hesitant to pull the trigger ó particularly on a player such as Nash, who carries a whopping $7.8 million annual cap hit through 2017-18, or on any expensive free agent.

ďAs far as free agency, the uncertainty of it all will change everything,Ē Gorton said. ďAt the end of the day, to get a really good player, sometimes you extend yourself more than you would normally do, but in this case we donít know what the numberís gonna be, the capís gonna be, we donít know a whole bunch of scenarios that have to be worked out between the league and the union, and so I think you have to work cautiously, donít do anything stupid, and donít do something so under the new rules there wonít be any kind of penalties for you or hardships that put you into tough situations. So I think weíre business as usual, but I think our eye is on not doing anything stupid, too.Ē
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz1zUT2gYxx

Don't do anything stupid, Slats. What Brooks tweeted before about "Nash or no one" scares me a bit. The Rangers don't have to be so desperate as to where Nash is their only option. There are some good secondary scorers still available via free agency, and I'm sure there will be some forwards on the trade market at some point.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Centers are a premium in this league and don't come around often. Neither do guys like Ryan, who I want badly, but giving up Stepan would kill us especially in the playoffs with the lack of depth at the position. Before Richards, we all saw how hard it was to acquire a quality center and how important one was. As much as I want Ryan, Stepan is our future #2 C,a solid all around player, and still on a cheap contract.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
mullichicken25

I took "Nash or no one" to mean that they are perfectly content going into next season with the roster they currently have

Old
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Time to get creative. Three way deal time. The NBA teams always get involved in 3 team deals because their salary cap rules are so complicated.

Brooks wrote this last weekend

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1zUSdnQQo

Can they flip Dubinsky for young assets? Use those assets as part of the Ryan deal. Not two separate deals.

Dubinsky's salary for 12-13 is $3.75M but $1M of that was a signing bonus which the Rangers probably paid yesterday. So its $2.75M.
I wonder what a third team would bring in terms of prospects that the Rangers can't (or won't) offer?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Zip just suggested Dubinsky as the 2nd line center for Ryan :/
When did Zip start taking street drugs? What is up with this guy?

Dubi is much better on the wing. Much more effective. He's a marginal center ice man at best.

Old
In Disgust

Evander Kane's going to stick with the Jets you think, no? Would love to see him on the rangers.

Old
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
I feel so bad for Parise's Wikipedia page..

Old
07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No. He said that the Rangers would be able to compete for 2 years. However in 2 years when Girardi, Gaborik, Hank, Boyle and Callahan are UFA's and they have to let people go because they have too much money tied up in Nash and Richards and no young players ready to take over significant roles there will be problems.
No I didn't.

I said "at least" two. I never put a cap on the Rangers' window to win.

Just like your hypothetical scenario where the Rangers wont be able to sign their UFA's, I too can hypothetically say Nash, alongside Gaborik, wins two Richards and the Rangers win a Cup in his first two years as a Ranger.

The Rangers will have to deal with four years of Nash's 7.8 million. Before we start sewing Henrik or Girardi or Callahan's name on a different sweater, why don't we factor in that:

a) Gaborik expires in 2014.
b) Rupp expires in 2014
c) Boyle expires in 2014
d) the cap will likely go up every season of Nash's contract.

Getting Nash doesnt set the Rangers back. It makes Sather and his staff earn their money. sather has been able to sign every key RFA/UFA who deserved to be resigned while dealing with Redden, Gomez and Drury's contracts. There's no reason to think he wont do the same.

I'm still against the trade. I dont want Nash. If he's traded, I'll be on board since there is no other alternative.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Block More Shots

You guys think Anisimov, 1st, and Thomas would get it done for Ryan?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block More Shots View Post
Nope, we may have to throw in Rupp to even it out.

The last few pages it's been Stepan plus so go from there.

07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
No I didn't.

Just like your hypothetical scenario where the Rangers wont be able to sign their UFA's, I too can hypothetically say Nash, alongside Gaborik, wins two Richards and the Rangers win a Cup in his first two years as a Ranger.

The Rangers will have to deal with four years of Nash's 7.8 million. Before we start sewing Henrik or Girardi or Callahan's name on a different sweater, why don't we factor in that:

b) Rupp expires in 2014
c) Boyle expires in 2014

Getting Nash doesnt set the Rangers back. It makes Sather and his staff earn their money. sather has been able to sign every key RFA/UFA who deserved to be resigned while dealing with Redden, Gomez and Drury's contracts. There's no reason to think he wont do the same.

I'm still against the trade. I dont want Nash. If he's traded, I'll be on board since there is no other alternative.
and when you subtract dubinsky (3.75) going in a deal for Nash, Nash only adds about 4M to the payroll over the next 3 years that Dubinsky is signed.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Absolutely, as long as you don't mind the first name not being Bobby

Old
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
If this was all it took to get Ryan, he would have been a Ranger back in December.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I really hope Sather is listening to what Gorton said about a week and a half ago:

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz1zUT2gYxx

Don't do anything stupid, Slats. What Brooks tweeted before about "Nash or no one" scares me a bit. The Rangers don't have to be so desperate as to where Nash is their only option. There are some good secondary scorers still available via free agency, and I'm sure there will be some forwards on the trade market at some point.
I think it more likely that the Rangers take a pretty conservative tack this Free Agent season. Players like Nash, Ryan are tempting but the Rangers will be mindful of what goes the other way and what holes are created in making deals.

The lack of moves by the Rangers will drove people around here crazy, but then that's the fun part....for me any way.

Old
In Disgust

Is there a reason why there's been no talk about getting Arnott? Solid 3rd line center 34 pts last year. face off winner and a veteran presence.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I think it should but it wont.

Ryan scares me away. He has consistency problems. And he cant use the excuse the nash group uses because he has great talent around him. He disappears at times. I'm not willing to give up our top young players for that

Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
No I didn't.

b) Rupp expires in 2014
c) Boyle expires in 2014

The cap could very realistically come down this upcoming season. Then what? It's not like Rick Nash has any sort of extended experience in the playoffs......

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Disgust View Post
Is there a reason why there's been no talk about getting Arnott? Solid 3rd line center 34 pts last year. face off winner and a veteran presence.
not a bad 3rd line option for center, but as everyone yesterday, he will likely be overpaid.

Old
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Nope, Stepan is who Anaheim wants in any dealings with the Rangers regarding Ryan. As it stands now, you could sweeten the pot a tad hoping they bite.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Disgust View Post
I'm thinking its because of his mobility. Torts likes quicker players. Arnott isnt exactly young anymore

Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm sorry, but I found this video to be really amusing.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think it should but it wont.

Ryan scares me away. He has consistency problems. And he cant use the excuse the nash group uses because he has great talent around him. He disappears at times. I'm not willing to give up our top young players for that
Yea with all that great talent around him it's incredible that he's not a 100 point player.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he plays on the 2nd-3rd lines 85% of the time as well as playing barely any pp time on the second until.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Chief

Quote:
Callahan
Girardi
Gaborik
Mr. Vezina

What do those four players have in common?
Two years from now, you let Gaborik walk and have $7.5MM to split up for Cally and Girardi above what they're currently making and you will still have some dollars left over (not to mention Boyle, Bickel, Asham and Rupp coming off the books as well).

Henrik already makes almost $7MM and if he needs a raise, you let Biron and his $1.3MM walk and sign a backup for the league minimum.

The Rangers future cap, even with Nash's salary, doesn't look to be in some dire situation, two years from now. If there are hard choices to make, you make them. That's the price you may have to pay for a real shot at the Cup.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
In Disgust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I'm thinking its because of his mobility. Torts likes quicker players. Arnott isnt exactly young anymore
Hmm, valid point, along with Arnott probably wanting more $$$. But we have our pylons (emminger, Boyle, Asham) have him in a PK/face off role speed wouldn't be a primary concern. I'd be very happy to grab him for under 2m for a year

Old
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The cap could very realistically come down this upcoming season. Then what? It's not like Rick Nash has any sort of extended experience in the playoffs......
Even IF the cap goes down this year, the Rangers could afford Nash (especially moving Dubi in the deal), and it'll likely go back to where it is or up in the next few seasons.

Closed Thread