HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Why Bailey is not a center:

- Awful on draws.
- Indecisive as last forward in/last forward out
- Is late to assignment down low on D
- Is late leaving assignment down lo on D, hurts his offense

Basically, the additional defensive responsibility centers creates indecisiveness in his game as a center, which makes him appear out of the play, and invisible. These are hardly new observations.

He plays a simpler, faster, more physical game on the wing. It is where he should play. We have been through this enough. Last year clinched the deal: Josh Bailey is a winger. He is not an answer to #2C.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I admittedly, am a Bailey fan, but I agree that he is not a center and that the game may have been to fast/complex for him at times. I am no pro scout but I went to 40 games last year and watched him away from the puck. He can be frustrating because he shows flashes but lacked consistancy. IMHO he has shown that he has the ability to have a complete game. He is one of the few on this team that can create on his own, he has good hands and hockey sense, he has shown heart and can be a two way player as well. He will only be 23 this upcoming season and although his development may have been hampered, I still think he could have a big upside. Consistancy is what he needs and hopefully that comes with more experience and maturity. I think (no, I hope) that he will suprise us all and become a good 2-way,
2nd line wing.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, I was away for the weekend, can anyone give me the run-down on Haley? Is he decent on face-offs? Could he play in the NHL as a center next year? Trying to understand Sathers logic (VERY difficult).

Cheers
Haley is great when it comes to fight other middleweights and nothing seems to really scares him. Sadly, he is not a great hockey player, seems to always being a couple seconds behind the plays.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I know it's not even a pipedream because it would never happen, but I would do whatever it took to get doane. Extra mil per year over the nearest offer. Awesome player, still can't believe he's testing FA
He's not going to sign anywhere until July 9th, I'll bet money on him staying with the Coyotes.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
Haley is great when it comes to fight other middleweights and nothing seems to really scares him. Sadly, he is not a great hockey player, seems to always being a couple seconds behind the plays.
Pretty much, is one of the best fighters in the league, but, he can't keep up with the play at all. He will definitely help out Connecticut though.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
19 in a row

I was traveling yesterday and got to enjoy the updates in this thread when I could, especially when I got stuck on the tarmac at laguardia for 90 mins yesterday, so thanks to all of you. Look, like everyone else I would love to make a big splash but that doesn't mean that Snow did not do a good job yesterday filling in depth at our needs with Carkner and Boyes (the two players Staple identified as our reality on 6/30 so kudos to him). I think Snow has definitely been trying to address our needs in baby steps but the Parise's and Suter's of the world are just not our reality at this time. Our young core is still maturing, and our prospects are inching closer to the NHL. One big splash would be a great way to top this off, we have the chips to trade and would love to see this team with a Ryan. However, no matter what happens I am definitely in half-full mode. (just happy to turn the page from the short lived but painful Mottau/Pandolfo era).

Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
He's not going to sign anywhere until July 9th, I'll bet money on him staying with the Coyotes.
Probably will stay with the Coyotes, and if not, will go to a contender.

He would probably be the best fit for the Isles, but no reason for him to play here unless grossly overpaid, and even then I don't know if he would.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

According to BD Gallof, Isles and Ducks talking about Ryan, Isles have very serious offer on the table as of right now.

Like I said before, this is THE move Garth needs to make. For god sakes Garth, do it.

Imagine this offseason if he signs Salvador and trades for Ryan?

Garth would be seen as a big boy, finally.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Three things:

1) I'm sure most would agree Tavares had quite a bit to do with Moulson and PaP transforming from marginal NHL players into a players who were noticed league wide. Why can't this happen with Boyes?

2) Perhaps we can lure Wellwood to the Island using donuts.

3) Hasn't evidence shown Bailey does much better on the wing? I'd keep him there.
people just like to complain. Theres a big difference btwn when the isles signed PAP/Moulson and Boyes. Boyes has had a 40+ and 30+ goal season in the NHL. PA had done NOTHING in his 6-7 yrs or going around the minors. JT turned him into a 4 million dollar player.
Boyes, on the other hand, was buried on the 4th line in buffalo last season...is highly motivated to prove himself...and has a great scoring touch, when he has a good playmaking center...which oddly enough, John Tavares is one of those!

Smart, CHEAP sign. I could see people pissing and moaning if it was 2 yrs 5 mill and a 4.5cap hit bc of bonuses, but its not. It leaves space under the cap FLOOR that we need to fill. Bryce Salvador would be a nice addition here and really give us 6 NHL defensemen.
Streit-Hamonic
Salvador-Viz
Amac-Carkner

i wouldnt complain, but im sure 60pct of the people here will...100pct of the time

Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart Shaped Box View Post
BD Gallof thinks we're still in on Ryan and have a serious offer out for him. That intrigues me.
For those that don't know, here's the tweet:

Quote:
@BDGallof:It is my belief that #isles have a standing offer to #ducks for Bobby Ryan - it is considered a serious offer. Problem: so have others.
He later mentions players (in his opinion) that the pieces in that package MIGHT (again, just his opinion) 2013 1st , Grabner, one of Donovan or deHaan, one of Niederreiter or Strome and one of Nielsen or Bailey.

-----

I've always felt that for a player like Ryan it would take at least one from each of the following:

2013 1st / Strome / Niederreiter

Grabner / Bailey / Okposo

2 B Level Prospects (ie. Donovan, Lee, Kabonov...)

Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeStarve4Success View Post
According to BD Gallof, Isles and Ducks talking about Ryan, Isles have very serious offer on the table as of right now.

Like I said before, this is THE move Garth needs to make. For god sakes Garth, do it.

I think that might only ring true to the fanbase, because from all indications and things that I've read, Garth is pretty well respected around the league.

I think he gets an unfair amount of grief from the fans.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post

He later mentions players (in his opinion) that the pieces in that package MIGHT (again, just his opinion) 2013 1st , Grabner, one of Donovan or deHaan, one of Niederreiter or Strome and one of Nielsen or Bailey.

-----

I've always felt that for a player like Ryan it would take at least one from each of the following:

I'm not trading Strome for Ryan, but Nino can pack his bags. Anyone can pack their bags.. but Strome stays. Strome is a legit 2C prospect for this team, he goes nowhere, and he's close with Tavares. So i'll even make a semi-guarantee he'll go nowhere.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Three things:

1) I'm sure most would agree Tavares had quite a bit to do with Moulson and PaP transforming from marginal NHL players into a players who were noticed league wide. Why can't this happen with Boyes?

2) Perhaps we can lure Wellwood to the Island using donuts.

3) Hasn't evidence shown Bailey does much better on the wing? I'd keep him there.
I'll do you one better, the Isles have one of the best young centers in the game. He is getting better every year and is an absolute beast out there. Snow should be doing everything in his power to bring in a guy that can play on his wing with him that can match his type of talent and what has he gotten so far?

Scrubs

While I love Moulson and what he's turned into JT has taken 2 reclamation projects and turned them into 1)a 30 goal threat every year and 2) a guy who just got paid nice after 54 and 67 point campaigns with him(who couldn't catch on with a team previously).

Don't you think it's about time they brought on a player that can actually match JT in talent(well at the very least be somewhere in the ballpark of his level) that can help him get to the next level? I know Bobby Ryan is on the table but I'll believe it when i see it because quite honestly I really don't.

I'm sick and tired of JT getting asked to turn **** into gold. How about those cheap ****s actually get him the right player to compliment him instead of being asked for a third time to resurrect someones career?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
scott99

Plain and simple, until Wang gets his new arena, or sells the team, they will NEVER make a big move in an attempt to make this team better. Last year, we heard the same thing we are hearing this year, "playoffs or bust, no excuses", yet the owner refuses to attempt to make this team better by even going over the salary cap floor. Just look at the moves made yesterday, and if you add up all three signings they add up to less than what PAP is getting paid in Colorado. Also, these are placeholder moves, not moves to make the team better.

The Islanders are HOPING Boyes can return to form, and HOPING Carkner can stay healthy and play solid defense. And they are HOPING they can stick around until the Stromes and Reinharts and Mayfields of the world are ready to jump in. These aren't moves to make the team a playoff contender.

IF the ownership had ANY interest in winning, they would attempt to sign players like Semin and Allen and Carle. It's understood that there is no way Parise or Sutter would come our way, but add SERIOUS talent to the team, and they are playoff contenders. Right now, Wang is just HOPING to make the playoffs instead of truly wanting to make it. The Isle's moves are proof of that.

Not saying that they are finished adding to the team, but unless they add REAL talent to this team, get ready for an early draft thread.

Old
Tavaresfan91

Quote:

Is he a reliable source? If so that's good I hope we don't overpay to bad

Old
Macch

Quote:
I'm not trading Strome for Ryan, but Nino can pack his bags. Anyone can pack their bags.. but Strome stays. Strome is a legit 2C prospect for this team, he goes nowhere, and he's close with Tavares. So i'll even make a semi-guarantee he'll go nowhere.

So you wouldn't trade an unproven prospect who you think will be a 2nd line Center for a 25 year old 4 time 30 goal scorer?

You're crazy. I hope Garth doesn't feel the same way.

Old
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post

-----

2013 1st, grabner, donovan or dehaan, nino or strome, and nielsen or bailey....IS A HUGE OVERPAYMENT. You guys are acting like Bobby Ryan is a top 10-20 player, hes not. If they made that move there is a very good chance they would come in last place imo and that 1st round pick could be Nathan Mackinnon.

Old
twentytwo

Quote:
I'm not saying I disagree with you but does anyone else get a feeling that Nelson will go on to have a better career than Strome?

Having said that though, if it's between the prospect and the proven player I'll always pick the proven player.

And to address your "Nino can pack his bags" comment, I actually think that might be the player (pure speculation on my part) that is requested in the package. 1, because he projects to play that similar finesse/power foward game that Bobby Ryan plays. And 2, because one of his best friends in Lucas Sbisa is on the team and I think it would definitely ease his transition.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Macch

Quote:

Thats BD's belief. I didnt see anywhere that its confirmed

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Macch

Quote:
2013 1st, grabner, donovan or dehaan, nino or strome, and nielsen or bailey....IS A HUGE OVERPAYMENT. You guys are acting like Bobby Ryan is a top 10-20 player, hes not. If they made that move there is a very good chance they would come in last place imo and that 1st round pick could be Nathan Mackinnon.

I think those are 3 different pkgs. Not all together

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'll do you one better, the Isles have one of the best young centers in the game. He is getting better every year and is an absolute beast out there. Snow should be doing everything in his power to bring in a guy that can play on his wing with him that can match his type of talent and what has he gotten so far?

Scrubs

While I love Moulson and what he's turned into JT has taken 2 reclamation projects and turned them into 1)a 30 goal threat every year and 2) a guy who just got paid nice after 54 and 67 point campaigns with him(who couldn't catch on with a team previously).

Don't you think it's about time they brought on a player that can actually match JT in talent(well at the very least be somewhere in the ballpark of his level) that can help him get to the next level? I know Bobby Ryan is on the table but I'll believe it when i see it because quite honestly I really don't.

I'm sick and tired of JT getting asked to turn **** into gold. How about those cheap ****s actually get him the right player to compliment him instead of being asked for a third time to resurrect someones career?
Usually a team never owes something to a player, but after seing what tavares has done for the franchise and his commitment to 6 more years to a payday that really is a bargain for the team, I think the Isles really should reward him and really trying to find him a true 1st line winger. Doan, Parise, Ryan, Semin I don't know, but this guys deserves better than what he has had.

And I can understand that UFAs won't sign here, so that's when our years stockpiling prospects should be put to use.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Who is BD Gallof?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Who is BD Gallof?
Islanders blogger who currently has a blog on CBS sports and used to be on Hockeybuzz.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
Usually a team never owes something to a player, but after seing what tavares has done for the franchise and his commitment to 6 more years to a payday that really is a bargain for the team, I think the Isles really should reward him and really trying to find him a true 1st line winger. Doan, Parise, Ryan, Semin I don't know, but this guys deserves better than what he has had.

And I can understand that UFAs won't sign here, so that's when our years stockpiling prospects should be put to use.
if we could get that top line wing for JT, then Boyes slides down to the 2nd line. If its via trade, then thats fine, but if its a Parise, thast even better. Then you could STILL trade for Ryan and...well im just getting way to far ahead of myself. Ill just hurry up and wait for something to happen. But this has been one of the better july 1st for us in a while, bc we got some balls on the back end.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Who is BD Gallof?
He's a wannabe Dreger or Hradek, and his accuracy on the Islanders is about the same as Incarcerated Bob's or Eklund's (hint, around 5% accurate).

Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
I agree, that's nuts. You are talking a possibility of 1st 2013, Grabner, de Haan, Strome, and Nielsen for Ryan... Are you friggin serious, NO WAY IN HELL!! IF the Islanders do that I seriously don't know what I would do but laugh myself to death. I could say, hey, at least will not only deplete our prospect pool, BUT still finish bottom 5 and have a shot at Mackinnon. But, oh wait we traded that draft pick too...

Closed Thread