HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
You don't think this isn't the perception around the league? I've seen on Twitter, Lupal and Ryan openly bashing the building and its surroundings. They immediately assume all of Long Island looks like Uniondale. Players don't exactly get a tour, they fly in, stay at the Marriot and leave.
Jordin Tootoo bashed it on twitter too.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I know alot of people on here would not like this but my offer would be

Dehaan/Donovan and Nelson

If Calgary is looking for a prospect upgrade that would be a pretty tempting package. If they are looking for NHL ready bodies I would replace Nelson with Grabner and have them add a little back
Hell no.

J-Bo is a salary dump.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
CodeE

I'd do Grabner + for JayBo. I'd try to keep DeHaan and Donovan, however.

In a market where Suter and Carle are vastly overpaid, JayBo's two remaining years become stomachable if Wang is willing to pay them.

If the Islanders are serious contenders to land JayBo, you gotta believe Wang is willing to dole out the money.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You're right, this is not to be liked.

Fact is, with Bouwmeester's contract and low level of production since landing in Calgary - i.e. the worst price/performance ratio in the NHL - that team is dealing from an extreme position of weakness. They've also done a ton of questionable moves in recent years.

If they want to move Jay-Bo's contract, they've got to 'pay' the team willing to take him off their hands.
I don't know why is everyone putting Grabner in every trade scenario? The guy had a sophomore slump & still scored over 20 goals, he kills penalties, and is always a threat when on the PK, he is literarly the fastest man on skates(Ranger fans go gaga with Hagelins speed, but Grabner probably would skate circle around him skating backwards), & he is what, only 24. I wouldn't trade Grabner for anybody!!!

Old
07-08-2012, 02:49 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1298
Quote:
In the take it for what it's worth category

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...sOh-My/1/45493
I quit paying serious attention to hockeybuzz a few ys ago.

48 hrs before July 1st,the start of the ufa period,a Sabres blogger wrote that the Isles were about to trade Streit for Tallinder and Lydman.

Tallinder and Lydman were scheduled to become ufas on July 1st.

It was amazing, the number of Sabre fans on hockeybuzz's comment page, who bought into that bs.
HF's Sabres fans saw immediately, that it was more wishful thinking then anything else on the blogger's part.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:49 PM
OpAck

Let's not forget JayBo also has a NTC he'd had to waive, so who knows if he'd waive it to go to Long Island.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
I don't know why is everyone putting Grabner in every trade scenario? The guy had a sophomore slump & still scored over 20 goals, he kills penalties, and is always a threat when on the PK, he is literarly the fastest man on skates(Ranger fans go gaga with Hagelins speed, but Grabner probably would skate circle around him skating backwards), & he is what, only 24. I wouldn't trade Grabner for anybody!!!
If he'd figure out how to score on breakaways, we'd have a 40-goal player on our hands.

If I recall correctly, he did have an OK start last season, but once he had that groin injury, he just wasn't the same. I'm definitely willing to see what he can bring next season.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
If he'd figure out how to score on breakaways, we'd have a 40-goal player on our hands.

If I recall correctly, he did have an OK start last season, but once he had that groin injury, he just wasn't the same. I'm definitely willing to see what he can bring next season.
Grabs is a threat once he gets on the ice, score or not, the opposing defense is already on their heels. There is literarly no one in the NHL that can skate with this guy & we are basically trying to throw him away. He is a 25-40 goal scorer that is an outstanding PKer, what more you want????

Old
07-08-2012, 02:59 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Hell no.

J-Bo is a salary dump.
I think people underestimate how much J-Bo is worth. Sure he is slightly overpaid but given some contracts that are being paid this season his contract seems much more reasonable.

Simple fact is the guy eats alot of minutes and is a decent #2 defenseman. if you are doing a list of the top defensemen, he may not be top 20 or even top 40, but I think his name deserve consideration for the next group of 20 guys or so. I am fairly certain if Calgary willing to trade him, there would be a few teams that would be open to taking them to play for them so it's not like he has negative value

Old
07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
I think people underestimate how much J-Bo is worth. Sure he is slightly overpaid but given some contracts that are being paid this season his contract seems much more reasonable.

Simple fact is the guy eats alot of minutes and is a decent #2 defenseman. if you are doing a list of the top defensemen, he may not be top 20 or even top 40, but I think his name deserve consideration for the next group of 20 guys or so. I am fairly certain if Calgary willing to trade him, there would be a few teams that would be open to taking them to play for them so it's not like he has negative value
I would take J-Bo with his contract, but they are only getting draft picks & secondary prospects from me. I say a 3rd, 4th, & a Pedan or Pelleche type prospect.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
19NYSports91

Bouwsmeester is very soft, I don't know why we need him. I would never trade Grabner, Nelson, and a 3rd round pick for that bum.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
CREW99AW

Months ago I read a few comments from Avs fans,calling Duchene out for not using his linemates,not being as solid defensively as he was in his first season.

Below's an article,calling for the Avs to move Duchene instead of Stastny or O'Reilly.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...ene-smart-idea
It's as obvious as the grimace on the face of coach Joe Sacco that Duchene is simply not the type of player the Avs thought they were getting with the No. 3 selection in the 2009 draft. I like Duchene. But isn't it apparent Colorado management likes O'Reilly more?

Old
07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Months ago I read a few comments from Avs fans,calling Duchene out for not using his linemates,not being as solid defensively as he was in his first season.

Below's an article,calling for the Avs to move Duchene instead of Stastny or O'Reilly.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...ene-smart-idea
It's as obvious as the grimace on the face of coach Joe Sacco that Duchene is simply not the type of player the Avs thought they were getting with the No. 3 selection in the 2009 draft. I like Duchene. But isn't it apparent Colorado management likes O'Reilly more?
Duchene isnt avialable, but if he was, I would love to have him on the team.

Tavares
Duchene
Nielsen
Cizikas

Wow, that would be unbelievable.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
gordie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Jordin Tootoo bashed it on twitter too.
I'm not too big into twitter, what exactly has Tootoo and others been saying about long island?

It was said earlier if the isles were a regular playoff team I don't think signing players would be such a big deal.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You're right, this is not to be liked.

Fact is, with Bouwmeester's contract and low level of production since landing in Calgary - i.e. the worst price/performance ratio in the NHL - that team is dealing from an extreme position of weakness. They've also done a ton of questionable moves in recent years.

If they want to move Jay-Bo's contract, they've got to 'pay' the team willing to take him off their hands.
Jay is a wierd bird. The kid has size, is a great skater,but always seems out of sync with the forwards each game I have watched him in. Florida and Calgary have pretty much sucked in each case that he played in so there is that, but with that salary I don't want to pay for the most vanilla defenseman in the NHL.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Isn't it obvious why everyone is including him? He and Okposo are the only roster players that may be somewhat available that will command any value in return. Bailey is worthless as a value right now. So we are either putting Grabner or Okposo in a deal and that's why both their names keep coming up...

Last edited by LeapOnOver: 07-08-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
I would take J-Bo with his contract, but they are only getting draft picks & secondary prospects from me. I say a 3rd, 4th, & a Pedan or Pelleche type prospect.
I agree with this and it also matches Snow's philosophy. He always says if he's going to bail a team out financially by taking on an over payment, there will be a decline in assets because of it. Unfortunately other teams would probably offer more, but if we got Jbo for the above I would be 100% ok with it.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:14 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I agree with this and it also matches Snow's philosophy. He always says if he's going to bail a team out financially by taking on an over payment, there will be a decline in assets because of it. Unfortunately other teams would probably offer more, but if we got Jbo for the above I would be 100% ok with it.
So, in other words, lets trade away a few of our better players for one that is not as good & is overpaid! Gotcha!!!

Oops! I meant to quote your other reply about Grabs & Okposo.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:18 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
So, in other words, lets trade away a few of our better players for one that is not as good & is overpaid! Gotcha!!!

Oops! I meant to quote your other reply about Grabs & Okposo.
Well, you screwed up twice then. I never said to trade Grabs or Okposo for Jbo. In fact, look at the post you did quote, that is what I would say to trade him for. Just delete your post you'll be ok. Funny how I just agreed with you in this thread. Anyway, for the record I would not include any high level assets, Okposo, or Grabner for Jbo. I was just answering your question on why Grab is always talked about every time a trade is mentioned.

Last edited by LeapOnOver: 07-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 07:20 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

Quote:
Chapin, isn't it obvious why everyone is including him? He and Okposo are the only roster players that may be somewhat available that will command any value in return. Bailey is worthless as a value right now. So we are either putting Grabner or Okposo in a deal and that's why both their names keep coming up...
I'd sooner trade Okposo than Grabner though. Speed kills, and we've got Niederreiter & Nelson who have their chance at replacing his production and role after more seasoning. You can't teach speed like Grabner's got.

Not for J-Bo, though.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:21 PM
LeapOnOver

So, to the mathematicians out there, if the Isles stand pat now does that mean they are still going to be scurrying to make the cap floor come September or are we there yet? Just wondering. I know it might lower, as well as the cap, but officially where do we stand and what's the consensus about this?

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
So, to the mathematicians out there, if the Isles stand pat now does that mean they are still going to be scurrying to make the cap floor come September or are we there yet? Just wondering. I know it might lower, as well as the cap, but officially where do we stand and what's the consensus about this?
I read an ESPN article,that said there are 17 teams currently below the cap floor.

GMs think the cap will be going down in the new cba.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post52315063

Continue in Part III.