HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*John Shannon HC "Do not be surprised if Bobby Ryan becomes a Maple Leaf"

Old
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
-DeMo-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
He can play center. I am not sure of the price. I assume that some of our D (they really could use some help in that dept.) and maybe someone like Kadri might be involved in the deal.
since when can Ryan play center? he didn't even play center for Owen Sound in the OHL hasn't played center on Anahiem so imo no he can't play center. he's been a winger for as long as I can remember. and we shouldn't even be thinking about acquiring another winger unless were doing 2 for 1. Center should be the only position for forwards that Burke should be trying to acquire

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I agree that JVR was brought in to play in the top 6, but that does not mean he will.

Burke also brought in Connolly to be the superstar #1 center and you can see how well that has worked
Please share more of your thoughts. I need a good belly laugh today.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

dreger's tweet is ridic.

so we trade for ryan with grabo leaving 2 holes in our line-up. that's pretty wild speculation.

if it really is the price why can't Kadri be a 2C for ANA?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creschenndolls View Post
Without reading through this whole thread sry if it's been already discussed.. Would you do Kessel for Ryan straight up much like schenn for JVR, players in similar echelons with different styles for different teams needs.. The question then becomes Kessel or Ryan going forward, I take Ryan . Depends on ducks wants, Phil is incredibly talented still and young, don't see them taking kadri or colborne after Gardner/Lupul fleecing
If Kessel was in the mix, then one of Getzlaf or Perry would have to be in there for me to move on it.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
I will predict if a deal were to go down for Ryan to Leafs, we'd be giving up..

Gunnar
2013 2nd rd pick
Ashton
Bozak
MacArthur

for

Ryan
2013 3rd rd pick

EDIT: Magic Crystal Balls on sale at Walmart for $19.99!
give yourself some credit. this is a pretty good proposal actually.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i'm guessing we have just enough assets (and cash) to offer for 1 top player

and that should be a #1 center

the goalie pickup can be a vet for a yr or 2 for less in return subseq.)

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
since when can Ryan play center? he didn't even play center for Owen Sound in the OHL hasn't played center on Anahiem so imo no he can't play center. he's been a winger for as long as I can remember. and we shouldn't even be thinking about acquiring another winger unless were doing 2 for 1. Center should be the only position for forwards that Burke should be trying to acquire

Depends on your definition of centre. If you base it purely on face-offs, then no, Bobby Ryan is not a solid top 6 face-off man, but if you mean play the positional centre during play, then yes is he definitely capable and well proven throughout his AHL & NHL career.

FWIW Steve Stamkos sucks on the dot as well, and it is a coaches responsibility to use his players to their ability. We have guys that can win face-offs, Bozak, McClemment, Steckle - and guys really only 2 guys that can truly play C during the game (Grabo & Bozak) -> Ryan would be a huge addition for us.

Not that I think it matters, but I wouldn't trade Phil for him - PPG wingers are hard to come by, especially one that is still coming into his own and finding confidence. If we can find an offensive C to play with Phil, IMO you'll see him score 50. Big if. Ryan is sub PPG and roughly a 30G man even with fantastic offensive C.

Anyways, the media makes it seem like Ryan's time in ANA is over -> I'd sure as hell like to add him, and hope Randy could be a good coach and mend w/e rift is between them.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I agree that JVR was brought in to play in the top 6, but that does not mean he will.

Burke also brought in Connolly to be the superstar #1 center and you can see how well that has worked
Do you really feel like we signed a guy for 2 years to be a superstar? I think you chose the wrong words here. Stopgap is more appropriate.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

it might work with ryan only because lupul and kessel play more like centers than wingers
a big banger who doesnt pass great down the middle might work
may as well play lupul at center as the cure

Old
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
I will predict if a deal were to go down for Ryan to Leafs, we'd be giving up..

Gunnar
2013 2nd rd pick
Ashton
Bozak
MacArthur

for

Ryan
2013 3rd rd pick

EDIT: Magic Crystal Balls on sale at Walmart for $19.99!
To be honest that isn't a half bad trade. I don't think it really makes us that worse off. Epspecially if Ryan should play Center, we have so many wingers MacArthur would be replaced by a young guy (Kadri?), Gunnar is the only piece that I think we would really miss.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
Depends on your definition of centre. If you base it purely on face-offs, then no, Bobby Ryan is not a solid top 6 face-off man, but if you mean play the positional centre during play, then yes is he definitely capable and well proven throughout his AHL & NHL career.

FWIW Steve Stamkos sucks on the dot as well, and it is a coaches responsibility to use his players to their ability. We have guys that can win face-offs, Bozak, McClemment, Steckle - and guys really only 2 guys that can truly play C during the game (Grabo & Bozak) -> Ryan would be a huge addition for us.

Not that I think it matters, but I wouldn't trade Phil for him - PPG wingers are hard to come by, especially one that is still coming into his own and finding confidence. If we can find an offensive C to play with Phil, IMO you'll see him score 50. Big if. Ryan is sub PPG and roughly a 30G man even with fantastic offensive C.

Anyways, the media makes it seem like Ryan's time in ANA is over -> I'd sure as hell like to add him, and hope Randy could be a good coach and mend w/e rift is between them.
good post.

hi five

Old
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
it might work with ryan only because lupul and kessel play more like centers than wingers
a big banger who doesnt pass great down the middle might work
may as well play lupul at center as the cure
Neither Lupul or Kessel play like a centre at all. Where you would be getting that from? Responsibility, positioning, skating, attack style, both bordering a prototypical wingers.

Yes Lupul & Kessel pass nicely and I guess someone could say centres are setup men, but they'd be wrong or incorrectly limiting a category. There are centres who are setup men, just like there are centres who are goal scorers. I also believe Phil is a goal scorer first and foremost - completing my un-ability to comprehend what would make you say Phil and Lups play like Cs.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
Neither Lupul or Kessel play like a centre at all. Where you would be getting that from? Responsibility, positioning, skating, attack style, both bordering a prototypical wingers.

Yes Lupul & Kessel pass nicely and I guess someone could say centres are setup men, but they'd be wrong or incorrectly limiting a category. There are centres who are setup men, just like there are centres who are goal scorers. I also believe Phil is a goal scorer first and foremost - completing my un-ability to comprehend what would make you say Phil and Lups play like Cs.
- as clever but soft playmakers, who are soft and dont like going into the corners making it irregular to find the right center for them
- once in the offensive zone you cant tell who plays what position when they criss cross looking for each other - like a center looking for a winger
- it would be easier to put one of the two and center (if they were to remain a combo) otherwise they'll need that perfect center who is big, comes back hard on the backcheck and cycles and crashes down low
- or break up the tandem and find a more prototype playmaker to go with each

Old
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
dreger's tweet is ridic.

so we trade for ryan with grabo leaving 2 holes in our line-up. that's pretty wild speculation.

if it really is the price why can't Kadri be a 2C for ANA?

What Dreger tweet?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i'm guessing we have just enough assets (and cash) to offer for 1 top player

and that should be a #1 center

the goalie pickup can be a vet for a yr or 2 for less in return subseq.)

A goalie is a more pressing need. The Leafs were 10th in the league in goals scored last season but 29th in goals allowed. That reality means that a goalie is a more pressing need.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
What Dreger tweet?
posted 2 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/

ctrl f> "Ryan"

just look for it. 13th tweet from the top

Old
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Adversary

Burke is searching for specific players. He is not just snapping up whoever is available via free agency (that's what Connelly was last year).

He wants size in the top six (JVR, Ryan, Nash) which is not available this year in ufa.

He wants an upgrade in net that will not cost an arm and a leg, or he is going with Reimer and Scrivens.

The back end doesn't need much tweaking right now until we see how it grows and matures. We will likely need a better shutdown defender once Komi is off the books.

We need a #1 center, and I'm sure those are hard to come by.

Everyone complaining about not bidding on Parise and Suter need to realize that Burke isn't going to add a small sized scoring winger or a top flight defenseman through ufa.

I would also rather not build the team from 'what's available' in ufa year to year, because that's not a reliable way to get specific talents or players. You just kinda get what's on the table or you don't, and you pay a premium in cap space.

If the right guy was there, management would be all over it.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:15 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Just saw it on Sportsnet and I can't believe there hasn't been a thread made about his statement.

He can play center. I am not sure of the price. I assume that some of our D (they really could use some help in that dept.) and maybe someone like Kadri might be involved in the deal.

Could this be our guy at 1C? His name is out there in terms of being on the trade block.

What do you think?
I saw the exact same thing last night and then seconds later on TSN Ray Ferraro said he thinks that the Flyers are the ones who would get Bobby Ryan. So it's all speculation and funny that two people from different networks have the opposite answer to the same topic.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
CoolBlue*

Source of Rumor - John Shannon

Leafs Coach - Randy Carlyle

Conclusion - Bobby Ryan to the Leafs won't happen.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
First off I saw a couple people talking about straight up Ryan for Kessel.

Kessel >>> Ryan

I don't get why he is so unappreciated in Toronto, it frustrates me that people don't see his tremendous value.

I think Ryan would fit a big need actually, in that we need a power forward for the 2nd line RW role.

Lupul - Connolly - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Ryan

Looks a hell of a lot better than before, and we can try to sign a legit 1C in FA next summer, then the top 6 look simply special. To get the deal done I think we would be looking at..

2nd Line Center
2nd Line LW
(A) prospect
Pick

Tyler Bozak/ Mikhail Grabovski
Clarke Macarthur/ Nikolai Kulemin
Nazem Kadri/ Morgan Rielly
2nd 2013/ 1st 2013

1st column would be on the low end, 2nd column on the high end for his trade value.

BigWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Adversary

Bozak + kulemin + Kadri + 1st

That pretty well taps us out, but it's realistically the best we should be willing to offer.

I would do it, no question, but I would rather see if we could get a center for that package

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

If Anaheim is looking for a package involving an established 2nd line C for Ryan, Burke is handcuffed in making such a deal. Moving Grabo with our C depth as it is now is not smart in any way.

Hanta Yo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post

That pretty well taps us out, but it's realistically the best we should be willing to offer.

I would do it, no question, but I would rather see if we could get a center for that package
How does that trade improve the Leafs? I don't get it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
The Velvet Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post

i think we should try to keep our first...

i feel like our only untouchables should be;

(1)gardnier+(2)rielly because there ceilings are so high.

(3)kessel because he is a 23 year old ppg player... true 1st liner

(4)2013 1st because the draft is deep, our season can go either way(we might get another lottery pick) and its our best option at getting true 1st line talent.

(5) Grabo because this will just leave us with another gapping hole down the middle plus he WAS the second line...he is very underrated.

everyone else could be dealt...

lupul
phaneuf
macarthur
kulemin
franson
gunnarson... etc.

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Bozak could pass for a 2nd line center. Hudler just got 4 mil over 4 years, similar statistics.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote