HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does anybody want Matt Carle back?

Old
06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
Does anybody want Matt Carle back?

I'm constantly seeing references (never linked or sourced, but whatever) to the effect that Matt Carle's new contract is already done and that they're just waiting for July 1 to announce it. Not knowing the numbers, my initial thought is, "bad deal". Do we really want this guy back? He's an offensive d-man/PMD in name only as he doesn't move the puck particularly well, and he doesn't even play on the PP most nights. Not to mention his overall crappy play in his own end combined with the odd horrific turnover. I think of the money we're apparently trying to give to Jagr (who seemed to wear down/break down as last season progressed, and who's a year older) along with the money we're preparing to give Carle and I wonder why they don't use this money elsewhere. And to top that off I'm constantly seeing Meszaros' name in rumors and proposals...much rather move a forward if we have to, keep Mez, and not re-sign Carle.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:17 PM
NMFlyer1998
hello

Do I want Matt Carle back? It depends, If it's over 3.5 million than probably no. The only good thing about that would be that I could keep my avatar.

NMFlyer1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
dawkins121

I've been a big defender of why he is worth re-signing and what he brings to the team and even I don't really want him back.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I think anyone would just take him back, but the reason why so many don't is the price, he's worth tops 4 million a season and he could get up to 4.8-5 on open market. So do I want him back ? Yes, but for no more then 4 million PERIOD. Unless there's a super crafty trade coming up, who else could we get thats as good for less? (nobody)

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Here we go.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Gonna be a lot of angry people, because it sounds like we are gonna get him for about 4.5 a year.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Gonna be a lot of angry people, because it sounds like we are gonna get him for about 4.5 a year.
Yeah I know but there's nobody else at that price Im comfortable with unless trade

Old
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

If he resigns with the Flyers, I will be in rage mode. Super rage mode.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yes at somewhere between $4 - $4.5 million. More than that is an overpayment IMO and less than that is highly unlikely.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
At 4-4.5, sure. I like Carle, he's a good defender. He has his weaknesses, obviously, but I never really understood why he was the scapegoat here. He's far from being a bad player.

Would'nt get him over 5, though, and he could probably get that on the open market.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
CTU2fan

I feel like they are bringing him back (if it's the done deal everyone is saying it is) because they can't get one of the Nashville guys and he's as good as it gets among the UFA's besides Suter. But really, is he worth north of $4M AAV? I think I'd rather go out and find a bottom pairing type (something better than Lilja this time, please) and just roll with a top-4 of Timonen-Coburn-Grossmann-Meszaros and round it out with MAB/Gus and a 5/6 type acquisition. Or be aggressive and try to trade for a younger guy as you prepare for life without Kimmo. It just feels like Homer is going the safe route bringing Carle back, and that doesn't really fit with how aggressive he's been turning over the forward group.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Bugs me that he would have a pronger esque cap hit though, maybe we could front load his contract as well and make the hit only around 3.7 or so

Old
06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
mypunkrock

I dislike Carle and his boneheaded mistakes.

I like his ability to play heavy minutes, the fact he rarely misses a game, and that he is pretty reliable overall.

I would also like him at 4.5 mil per year.

Especially because if you look at the UFA list this year, guys who might otherwise be desirable will be more expensive, or are 35+. Not worth it.

Am I super happy about it overall? Not really, but that's beyond our control. I'd rather pay him 4.5 mil than throw buku dollars at another FA who probably is not and good.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
If he resigns with the Flyers, I will be in rage mode. Super rage mode.
werd..

resigning Carle the same thing as wasting more seasons going forward washing out in the POs..

either this team cuts the dead weight and makes the changes to shore up the D. or we can resign all the crap and continue to miss the mark.

Carle is crap hes shown it over and over season after season. resigning him isnt going to suddenly transform his game or make our D any better AT ALL..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Considering it's a weak year for defensive free agents besides those who still believe the Flyers will sign Suter or Weber, yes I want to resign him. If he walks and they are unable to replace his body we are stuck with only 4 NHL level defensemen (Timonen, Mez, Coburn, Grossmann) and a bottom pairing of AHLers. Yea no thanks. Gus, MAB, Manning, and/or next weeks draft pick, are not ready to play a full 82 game season. Sign Carle and attempt to grab a 6th guy to complete the back end. They may not be an elite defense but they could still be solid if the forwards can give them a hand.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Here we go.
Can we not have this merged... it's like the Griswalds being stuck in the round about.....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Too soft, weak along the boards, and is shaky with the puck.

Carle is very good positionally and with his stick when it comes to defense. Offensively he can make a good pass but his shot is terrible. Not a threat from the blue line and cannot QB a powerplay. He is not worth the money. Let him walk.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I'm constantly seeing references (never linked or sourced, but whatever) to the effect that Matt Carle's new contract is already done and that they're just waiting for July 1 to announce it. Not knowing the numbers, my initial thought is, "bad deal". Do we really want this guy back? He's an offensive d-man/PMD in name only as he doesn't move the puck particularly well, and he doesn't even play on the PP most nights. Not to mention his overall crappy play in his own end combined with the odd horrific turnover. I think of the money we're apparently trying to give to Jagr (who seemed to wear down/break down as last season progressed, and who's a year older) along with the money we're preparing to give Carle and I wonder why they don't use this money elsewhere. And to top that off I'm constantly seeing Meszaros' name in rumors and proposals...much rather move a forward if we have to, keep Mez, and not re-sign Carle.
I'll simply address one point you've made, to point out how uninformed you are about Carle.

Carle averaged 2:38 seconds of icetime on the PP in the Regular Season. And 2:32 of icetime on the PP in the playoffs.

I'll just skip the rest of the inaccuracies in your post.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Holmgren, Laviolette, Carle and his agent want him back, and that`s all the votes they need. It will be nice to know he`s locked up.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
A team that needs Carle to play a crucial defensive role is a team very unlikely to win a Cup.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:24 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Sign him and trade him to get Weber

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
23-minute defensemen don't grow on trees.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
If it's for about 4.75, I'd be happy. Anything around 5 is where I go "eh...".

If, for some reason, the price went above 5, I'd prefer Jackman.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

He'll be back and I'll gladly take him. Just as long as we pick up someone who we can rely on as a #1 or at the very least a #2 like Timonen.

A top-4 of Pronger, Timonen, Carle and Coburn with a borderline AHL 3rd pairing got us to the Cup Finals with 3 backup goalies. I'm thinking if we get someone like Enstrom, JBouw or even a young guy like Kulikov while maintaining a high-quality 3rd pairing (Grossmann-Meszaros) we should be fine, especially if Bryzgalov returns to form -- and by form I mean a legitimate starting goaltender who isn't a liability, not a Vezina quality guy.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote