HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave poulin on Free Agency and Trade talks

Old
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
colchar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
?????
I thought you were still talking about Brodeur as I hadn't seen your other posts further down the thread.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
So what are we going to do with all of our players? Fill the pressbox? Keep filling the Marlies roster with players on NHL contracts?

As of right now:

Lupul Bozak Kessel
MacArthur Grabovski Kulemin
Vanriemsdyk Connolly Frattin
Brown Steckel Mcclement
Kadri, Lombardi, Orr, Dupuis

Phaneuf Gunnarsson
Gardiner Franson
Liles Komisarek
Holzer

Reimer, Scrivens
Dupuis is already gone. UFA. Orr won't be back. That leaves two extra forwards. I'm certain we can find two candidates in that group worthy of the press box. But most likely they'll send Kadri down even if he outplays the vets because they can.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:30 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
You don't watch much hockey eh?
Actually I watch a ton of it.

Quote:
Free agency is never about being worth the money you pay a guy. Let's be honest, how many players are actually worth their salaries anyway?
Exactly they are not worth the money being paid so why pay it?

Quote:
Free agency is about paying extra to get guys without surrendering assets.

And when the pool is this shallow it is not worth paying just for the sake of paying especially when all your fan base does it complain about contracts handed to other players during free agency (Connolly, etc.). Plenty of other teams are going the trade route so what is wrong with the Leafs doing the same?

Quote:
Parise is better than every player currently on our team. He captained a darkhorse nothing team to the cup finals.

No he isn't. Kessel is better from a pure production standpoint. Would he be a great addition to the Leafs? Of course. Is he worth the moronic amount of money being discussed? No. Hell, the offers he is getting are approaching Crosby territory. Are you honestly trying to say that he is worth the same as Crosby and that the Leafs should pay that for him? If so, thank God you are not the Leafs GM.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Very surprised with the Brodeur comment. Leafs couldn't top 4.5 million for Marty Brodeur. That's very alarming!
He took less from NJ no doubt. It was probably more like 5.5 x 2 from the Leafs if not more. Brodeur didn't want to move but if you backed a Brinks truck up -- he would have.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Some people have a truly warped view of how players view the Leafs.

Even if we offered 8 million to Parise vs 7 million from Pittsburgh.

There are a ton of cons to playing in Toronto. Taxes are higher than pretty much every other city, the team has had no success (meaning he comes without a chance to win), but despite this, you still have the most media pressure to deal with.

There isn't a pro to Toronto unless we offer a ton of money (think 9/10 mil) when trying to sign Suter/Parise. Some people here think the city is a major lure to players but it isn't. Players want to make the money with less pressure and keep more of it with a better chance to win.

Ask yourself this. Parise goes to Pittsburgh, keeps more of his money, less media pressure, and a better chance to win playing with one of the best players. This applies to Detroit and Philly too. Why would he sign in Toronto?

For example, if he signs a 7 million contract, he gets to keep an additional $500,000 playing the above three. So what does Toronto have to offer?

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Drew311
Play Me

I just listened to the interview. Poulin specifically said that discussions took place at the AHL meetings with Ray Shero, Chuck Fletcher and Kevin Cheveldayoff.

I'm sure discussions are taking place on a daily basis with all NHL teams, but I found it intersesting that Poulin went out of his way to mention these names specifically.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I just listened to the interview. Poulin specifically said that discussions took place at the AHL meetings with Ray Shero, Chuck Fletcher and Kevin Cheveldayoff.

I'm sure discussions are taking place on a daily basis with all NHL teams, but I found it intersesting that Poulin went out of his way to mention these names specifically.
Shero about staal I'd guess. Other two... Not sure who we'd want. Maybe backstrom and Kane?

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He took less from NJ no doubt. It was probably more like 5.5 x 2 from the Leafs if not more. Brodeur didn't want to move but if you backed a Brinks truck up -- he would have.
I doubt that the Leafs were even thinking of two years.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
They would have probably had to top it by quite a bit. You're probably looking at something north of 5 million for two years to pry him our of NJ. That's kind of risky for a guy that's 40+.
Thats my thought as well. Not worth it for the amount of game he has left although at least it would have put the matter to bed. I don't believe he moves to TO for $5 million.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
It has been 1:13 P.M. for a whole 60 seconds! Therefore, it will be 1:13 P.M. for the rest of our lives, right?
Cat go your tongue I see. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If you really think Burke is trying to build his team around Connolly and Lombardi, I just don't know what to say. These players were brought in to be stop gaps, while the young players Burke has acquired and drafted are given time to develop.

The Leafs aren't attractive to big time free agents, bottom line. The only options Burke has to correctly build this team is through trade and drafting/development. Once the team finally turns the corner and is an attractive destination for free agents, don't expect Burke to be a player on July 1st.
I'm not sure what is doing to tell you the truth because he says one thing and does yet another. Go back and review his presser - I don't ever think he said stop gap. From where did you find this?

And stop·gap noun
1. something that fills the place of something else that is lacking; temporary substitute; makeshift: Candles are a stopgap when the electricity fails.

There is a problem calling them a stop gap when they "LACK"s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
They were a good team last year except for a six week nosedive that cost them their season.
What makes you think that real time was not the team that collapsed. And the rest of the season the team over achieved? But in reality, the team is somewhere between those extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
You sure do!
That is because I'm logical. And please forward the conversation.
There is no reason to attack the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Worked for the Florida Panthers but you are...smarter.
They did acquire Campbell's contract but granted not via Free Agency.
Also to date they have been able to pass off underperforming assets (Booth to Vancouver and Olistavez to Hawsk).

The one difference I do see between Tallon and Burke is that Tallon will clean house and not tolerate players that underperform. Burke tends to be a bit more patient or perhaps feels loyalty to the players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
Thank you,I agree with that bigtime!! Komi will fit somewhere else like NYI,Col or St.L
This is as delusional as Habs fan that think all these cap floor teams are willing to take on Gomez.
Burke will have to bribe a team or take back a bad contract.

Last edited by number72: 07-02-2012 at 02:29 PM.
number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Link is on this page here. Hit the Executive Decision slide with Frattin as the image.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
They did acquire Campbell's contract but granted not via Free Agency.
Also to date they have been able to pass off underperforming assets (Booth to Vancouver and Olistavez to Hawsk).

The one difference I do see between Tallon and Burke is that Tallon will clean house and not tolerate players that underperform. Burke tends to be a bit more patient or perhaps feels loyalty to the players.
Funny that Tallon has Versteeg as one of his players, the same one that Burke traded because he was underperforming.

For the love of God, please think before you post from now on.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Funny that Tallon has Versteeg as one of his players, the same one that Burke traded because he was underperforming.

For the love of God, please think before you post from now on.
Versteeg at the time of the trade was a top 6 forward on the leafs in terms of points. He could also play PK or PP.

Don't knock Tallon because he saw a talented player and knew how to utilize the player to perform.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Versteeg at the time of the trade was a top 6 forward on the leafs in terms of points. He could also play PK or PP.

Don't knock Tallon because he saw a talented player and knew how to utilize the player to perform.
Versteeg was on the 3rd line because he couldn't find chemisty with the guys on the top 2 lines. That's why he was traded. He was not the right "fit" on this team.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
leaferbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post

There are a ton of cons to playing in Toronto. Taxes are higher than pretty much every other city, the team has had no success (meaning he comes without a chance to win), but despite this, you still have the most media pressure to deal with.

There isn't a pro to Toronto unless we offer a ton of money (think 9/10 mil) when trying to sign Suter/Parise. Some people here think the city is a major lure to players but it isn't. Players want to make the money with less pressure and keep more of it with a better chance to win.

Ask yourself this. Parise goes to Pittsburgh, keeps more of his money, less media pressure, and a better chance to win playing with one of the best players. This applies to Detroit and Philly too. Why would he sign in Toronto?

For example, if he signs a 7 million contract, he gets to keep an additional $500,000 playing the above three. So what does Toronto have to offer?
According to this post, who would EVER want to sign with Toronto?

leaferbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaferbeliever View Post
Non-elite players we usually have to overpay.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
?????
Brodeur was never leaving NJ. He wanted a two year deal from Lamoriello but was only offered a one year deal so he used free agency as a negotiating tactic to get the term he wanted from NJ

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
WhatASaveDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Link is on this page here. Hit the Executive Decision slide with Frattin as the image.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/
sounds like we signed defenseman Dylan Yeo who played on okc last season

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

It probably doesn't help that we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years. Once we become a contender im sure we will stop being one of those teams that are always on the short list, but never picked.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
sounds like we signed defenseman Dylan Yeo who played on okc last season
Yeah I heard that too. Nothing has been officially announced from what I've seen, but it might be an AHL deal rather than an NHL contract.

07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post

I noticed that since the chart breaking down the taxes from NHL city to NHL city came out people have been talking a lot about them.

Truth is, it's the mediocre players we have to overpay for because the stars, who stand to lose $500,000 in taxes, would undoubtedly make more money from endorsements. Problem is, the Leafs have to become successful for more of those endorsements to come in. Also, millionaires have so many more avenues to have portions of their taxes returned anyway.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafsYoungGuns

Lupul XXXX Kessel
VanRiemsdyk Grabovski Kulemin
Kadri Bozak Frattin
Brown McClement Komarov

MacArthur, Lombardi, Connolly, Steckel

Phaneuf Gardiner
Gunnarson Franson
Liles Komisarek
Holzer, Blacker

Reimer, Scrivens

Is how I see things right now. Couple guys that could/should be traded in C.Mac, Lombardi, Connolly and Steckel. Hopefully we can package 2 or more with a pick or 2 for a good #1/2 C or #1A/B G and we would be pretty set.

LeafsYoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaferbeliever View Post
2nd tier players who are offered a lot of money, guys from ont or the gta who want to play out their last years on the team they grew up loving or to play in front of all their family and friends. without any of these motivating factors why would a top level free agent want to come to toronto over other teams.if the leafs became contenders then maybe the allure would be there like it is for detroit ect.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Brodeur was never leaving NJ. He wanted a two year deal from Lamoriello but was only offered a one year deal so he used free agency as a negotiating tactic to get the term he wanted from NJ
I understand that, what I didn't understand was Poulin's comment about money.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
Versteeg was on the 3rd line because he couldn't find chemisty with the guys on the top 2 lines. That's why he was traded. He was not the right "fit" on this team.
A smart manager finds a way for quality players to excel. I'd rather Burke unload mediocre and underperforming talent but hey that's me right. Perhaps some fans prefer LCK.