HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals Free Agency II (Joey Crabb's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
There's no internal budget, but McPhee isn't paying for players he doesn't really love. Simple enough.

Same issue at the deadline. He didn't feel like there was anything that could improve the Caps at the price he was willing to pay, so he sat on his hands.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
Am I the only one who keeps looking at Jagr thinking he would be the best fit skill-wise/value-wise for our team, and then punches himself in the stomach because I hate Jagr more than anyone? We don't need a long-term stud. We need someone to hold down the fort while Kuznetsov and Forsberg get ready for the NHL. But I hate Jagr. Hate hate hate hate.
He'd be good with Ribs. Both like to slow the play down.

OV-Nick-Brouwer
Laich-Ribs-Jags
Chimera-MoJo-Mueller

=best case scenario...

Old
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Just a few of your more recent posts in the Semin's Future thread:

Sweet, I enjoyed your last childish post. Sadly, I won't see any more of em. Make sure to look us up when you jump over to be a fan of a different team.

Should I post one of your racist remarks to even the score?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There's no internal budget, but McPhee isn't paying for players he doesn't really love. Simple enough.

Same issue at the deadline. He didn't feel like there was anything that could improve the Caps at the price he was willing to pay, so he sat on his hands.
Do you have some sort of source for that information? McPhee hasn't sat on Cap room like this since he knew what he had in Ovechkin.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Maybe. I think he loves Parise and Suter just fine. It's possible that he simply has a present payroll structure that makes it difficult to also absorb a $28M expenditure on one player between now and next July 1st.

It's sort of academic, though. I don't expect we'll find out the Caps' internal budget discussions. That's likely for the best.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

No more CCF vs sonsofcain...? Ever?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
If there's an internal cap, it's got to be based on their expectations of the CBA. A lot of teams seem to be proceeding as if they expect the cap to remain as it is though, which is interesting. I guess.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
If there's an internal cap, it's got to be based on their expectations of the CBA. A lot of teams seem to be proceeding as if they expect the cap to remain as it is though, which is interesting. I guess.
Well...the Caps were one of the first teams to dump salary before the lockout last time (although fell in line with the rebuild)...so maybe they are taking the same course.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Should I post one of your racist remarks to even the score?
Please do.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I think that's the most prudent way to proceed. The new CBA won't put teams that spent up to the $70M cap out in the cold. If there's a a decrease in the cap, limit on contract terms, etc., there will be some sort of salary roll-back, amnesty period, or contract renegotiation period to offset those changes.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Do you have some sort of source for that information? McPhee hasn't sat on Cap room like this since he knew what he had in Ovechkin.

Nah, just general discussions with my one friend. I was told they're comfortable spending to the Cap for the right players. Unless something has changed in the last few days, why would the Caps raise ticket prices only to sit on a large chunk of cap room? Fan revolt will happen quickly if they do that.

In fact, I think they would get destroyed in the court of public opinion and the press if they sat on that space for long and didn't improve the team.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
I think that's the most prudent way to proceed. The new CBA won't put teams that spent up to the $70M cap out in the cold. If there's a a decrease in the cap, limit on contract terms, etc., there will be some sort of salary roll-back, amnesty period, or contract renegotiation period to offset those changes.
I mean, I agree, but the opposite course is also understandable. Am I remembering correctly that the salary rollback last time was by 11%?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Nah, just general discussions with my one friend. I was told they're comfortable spending to the Cap for the right players. Unless something has changed in the last few days, why would the Caps raise ticket prices only to sit on a large chunk of cap room? Fan revolt will happen quickly if they do that.

In fact, I think they would get destroyed in the court of public opinion and the press if they sat on that space for long and didn't improve the team.
I wasn't trying to be an ass, just genuinely interested if you'd heard something.

If that's the case, I won't be able to wrap my head around not pursuing Suter.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
artilector

I don't think there is any special indication based on hockey moves (or lack thereof) that the Caps have an internal budget.

Beyond Parise and Suter, there's nobody to really spend big money on. Maybe D, but there Caps have been unreasonably content with what they had in prior years, as well.

So, this year I can't really fault the Caps for not spending to the gills, if that's what happens. I think this situation seems to be more likely the product of accumulating organizational missteps and faulty philosophy (not the best destination for UFAs, not enough assets for trades, lack of recognition of some problem spots), rather than a recent outright financial limitation.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
this is a horse **** reasoning. Same could be said for Ryan. Please stop cluttering your responses with this type of crap, its why you arent taken as seriously as you'd like to be
Ryan is proven in the league. Kuz is a major unknown. I'll take the top flight winger over the unknown who MIGHT come over in two years from now. No guarantee he will.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's going to be interesting to watch. A lot of clubs are acting as though a rollback is a given; I'm not at all sure the players are willing to concede that point. The number of players on ultra-long deals last time included Yashin. DiPietro didn't sign until 2006. So Yashin might have been it.

The number of players on long deals this time around is a lot higher. It's one more issue that could potentially delay the start of the season. The league is acting like it won't start playing hockey again without a rollback. What if you're Crosby, just signed a $104.5M contract, and the league wants to lop 24 percent off the top of that contract before it enters into force?

Old
amjay13

Jagr is a doucher but it does make sense in the short term. I'd much rather go into the season with him on the second line wing than any of our current options.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ahhh this brings me back to the times when the salary cap was just coming into existence and McPhee and Leonsis swore up and down that they would be there waiting with truckloads of cap room to sign ALL those good young players that other teams simply wouldn't be able to sign because they were cap strung. What a hoot Caps management is sometimes.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be an ass, just genuinely interested if you'd heard something.

If that's the case, I won't be able to wrap my head around not pursuing Suter.
I didn't take it that way, no worries.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall GM flat out publicly stating that Semin is gone. Maybe he's waiting for Semin to come to his senses about his salary, hence the lack of activity on the UFA market.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
On Twitter, almost all reports saying Parise is down to NJ, MIN, PIT, and CHI.

Well, looks like we're out... And we have a **** ton of cap space with nobody to spend it on.
Ummmm? When the hell were we ever "in" on him??

Old
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
discobob

Quote:
I don't see how it could be done any other way.....

Unless all of the NHL owners are colluding to keep spending under an "unofficial" cap, and then once the new CBA is in place they will penalize those teams that overspent the unofficial and illegal cap. Who am I kidding, that could never happen!

Old
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I suspect that the Caps formally presented an offer for Suter and/or Parise, but that it didn't include all the up-front money.

Yet if your proposal doesn't include that up-front money this year, it's not a serious offer because someone else is prepared to do that.

The Caps probably presented $40M or $50M offers, good money in many respects, but other clubs propose to give half of it to the players within a calendar year. There's the massive difference.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Ummmm? When the hell were we ever "in" on him??
When we got Oates, duh.

I remember like fifteen of those silly posts.

"With Oates signed, don't you think Parise will follow him?!"

Old
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
That was never the thought process. So no, that doesn't hold true.

I was 'ok' with not signing those players because they weren't significant upgrades and were given generally inflated rates.

I've defended GMGM's actions on that front to this point because I see nothing wrong with them. Mostly, though, I've simply attacked the premise that the Caps are doomed due to their inactivity.

The Caps can win with the lineup they have now. The personnel is good enough going into training camp. It's very possible that the personnel we see now changes by the time camp rolls around, even if no moves are made in the next few days. It's also very likely that there is additional roster movement by the deadline.

It'll be a big mistake if GMGM didn't make a big offer for Suter. You won't ever see me defend his actions on that front, if that's the case.
ok, fair enough. My thinking is not completely different from yours, except that I see Hammer with Green as top 4 pairing. Maybe thats wrong, but I see that...so along with CArlzner, I saw the need for a lower D (the guys I've mentioned) to augment to overall 6...not just top 2 or top 4.

Now of course I'd like Suter, but I've never seen him as a realistic option for us in any manner, unfortunately. I did see Aucoin, Zanon as realistic options for that role.

Not Kuba, Garrison, Salo, or Souray mind you.

The answer is Doug Murray, I think, but thats via trade, obviously

Closed Thread