HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Day 1 — Best and Worst Moves

View Poll Results: Best and worst moves
Best: Colby Armstrong (1 x 1) 59 27.57%
Best: Brandon Prust (4 x 2.5) 92 42.99%
Best: Francis Bouillon (1 x 1.5) 8 3.74%
Worst: Colby Armstrong (1 x 1) 12 5.61%
Worst: Brandon Prust (4 x 2.5) 26 12.15%
Worst: Francis Bouillon (1 x 1.5) 55 25.70%
There is no worst, I like all of these moves 105 49.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Day 1 — Best and Worst Moves

We have individual threads, but not one general thread looking over Day 1.

What are your thoughts, overall, on this first day of work? What's the best move? The worst? Why? Vote for the best and worst, if you please.

Last edited by Coldplay: 07-02-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:05 AM
LaTenderness

Worst move is not signing Semin .... Best move is Bringing home Frank the Tank

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
We have individual threads, but not one general thread looking over Day 1.

What are your thoughts, overall, on this first day of work? What's the best move? The worst? Why?
I just voted and picked the one i think is obvious

"There is no worst, I like all of these moves"

Frank B brings MORE HITTING and that's a bonus .

Prust , a lot of intangibles brought to Montreal .

Colby, he is healthy and raring to roll, that is great news.

WE KEPT MOEN,which is huge.

ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY ...to any whiners out there.

Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Best: Colby Armstrong
I like this signing slightly more than the Prust one because of the risk/reward factor. Armstrong can be a stellar 3rd liner if he's healthy and he finds the back of the net like he used to. I'm also a fan of the Prust move, but it's a bit less shrewd.

Worst: Francis Bouillon
It's not a bad pickup, per se, but it's on the meh side. Why do we insist on recycling?

Old
07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Toronto getting Mclement at 1.5 was a great move. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat for our 4th line C, but I think he wanted more than 4th line minutes.

Armstrong will play hard for us, if he stays healthy he'll be a steal, and given his love for the habs, could be re-signed on the cheap next year too.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:09 AM
MathMan

I'm quite unimpressed by Bergevin's work so far.

Now, he hasn't made any franchise-crippling moves, and the players the Habs should want are still on the board, so to speak, so this is a somewhat incomplete opinion and he certainly can turn it around.

Even if he does, however, this day has just been very weak. Bergevin has basically been wasteful. Instead of targeting areas where the Habs actually had need (like that gaping hole in the top-6's LW), he just loaded even more fourth-liners and third-pairing defensemen to an already bottom-heavy club that had no need of them. If he'd stopped after Armstrong at one million, that would've been all right -- he's a decent enough fourth-liner with upside -- but then there was no need to give too much money and too much term to a guy like Brandon Prust or bring back Bouillon for purely sentimental reasons.

Best move would be Armstrong, somewhat by default -- a low-risk flier on a guy who's been better in the past, though if you're going to do that, Latendresse would have been a better choice. Worst would be Prust, easily one of the worst signings of the day, up there with Kuba to Florida.

None of these players actually filled a genuine need on the club. Bergevin leaves July 1st with exactly the same amount of work needing to be done as when he entered it, except now he has less cap space to fill the holes the Habs really need filling.

At least everyone he's signed can at least play at a minimal level, no Staubitz-type goons in the lot. But loading the club with "grit" players points to an old-school, Brian-Burkesque mentality that won't get the club very far either. As it is, the roster is still worse than the one they started 2011-2012 with, and Bergevin has done little to correct that.

So: incomplete, but negative, and the overall direciton is worrying.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Now, he hasn't made any franchise-crippling moves, and the players the Habs should want are still on the board, so to speak, so this is a somewhat incomplete opinion and he certainly can turn it around.

Even if he does, however, this day has just been very weak. Bergevin has basically been wasteful. Instead of targeting areas where the Habs actually had need (like that gaping hole in the top-6's LW), he just loaded even more fourth-liners and third-pairing defensemen to an already bottom-heavy club that had no need of them. If he'd stopped after Armstrong at one million, that would've been all right -- he's a decent enough fourth-liner with upside -- but then there was no need to give too much money and too much term to a guy like Brandon Prust or bring back Bouillon for purely sentimental reasons.

None of these players actually filled a genuine need on the club. Bergevin leaves July 1st with exactly the same amount of work needing to be done as when he entered it, except now he has less cap space to fill the holes the Habs really need filling.

At least everyone he's signed can at least play at a minimal level, no Staubitz-type goons in the lot. But loading the club with "grit" players points to an old-school, Brian-Burkesque mentality that won't get the club very far either. As it is, the roster is still worse than the one they started 2011-2012 with, and Bergevin has done little to correct that.

He turned:

Darche-Engvist-Blunden/Staubitz into a formidable bottom 6 composed of Prust, Armstrong, as well as White/Moen being back in the mix.

Surely that's an upgrade. Those guys can all play hockey too.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
He turned:

Darche-Engvist-Blunden/Staubitz into a formidable bottom 6 composed of Prust, Armstrong, as well as White/Moen being back in the mix.

White and Moen coming back from injuries is what made Blunden not a Canadien anymore. The replacement for Engqvist is Nokialainan who was here already, they haven't added a 4th center, although they could try Prust or White there.

Darche is a decent hockey player who got way to much hate this year. Whether the new guys are significantly better than him is an open question.

And formidible is an awfully strong word for this bottom six. Beyond Eller I wouldn't consider any of them above average third liners. Surely a formidable bottom six would have two or three of those. If they get formidable its if a new player pushes Bourque down the depth chart and he regains some form in a lesser role or Leblanc/Palushaj/other steps up in a big way next year.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

Best: Colby

Worst: None

I like them all. Not a toughness lover but some solid penalty kill and energy help on bottom 6 never hurt.

Habs need a solid top 6 forward or Bergevin fails. I mean, assuming the goal is playoffs. If the goal is status quo and top 10 pick and building a foundation for the future? Sure, it's a right step solidifying the character.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:

Color me unimpressed. Armstrong is a question mark and Prust just isn't that good. Darche is probably better than Prust, really.

Besides, compare to the team starting the 2011-2012 season though. That team was so deep that AKost was pushed down to the third line. It was a team that had a top-9 and a bottom-3.

What the Habs have now is a "sort of decent" bottom 6. The club is loaded with fourth-liners. And Bourque, who's a unidimensional third-liner at this point. It's looking like Eller will have crap for wingers again, and there's not even enough guys to fill the top-6 yet.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Color me unimpressed. Armstrong is a question mark and Prust just isn't that good.

Besides, compare to the team starting the 2011-2012 season though. That team was so deep that AKost was pushed down to the third line. It was a team that had a top-9 and a bottom-3.

This club is loaded with fourth-liners. And Bourque, who's a unidimensional third-liner at this point. It's looking like Eller will have crap for wingers again, and there's not even enough guys to fill the top-6 yet.
Give it time. I think habs have a solid bottom 6 but their top 6 needs to be addressed and a D needs to be moved.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:23 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
White and Moen coming back from injuries is what made Blunden not a Canadien anymore. The replacement for Engqvist is Nokialainan who was here already, they haven't added a 4th center, although they could try Prust or White there.

Darche is a decent hockey player who got way to much hate this year. Whether the new guys are significantly better than him is an open question.
I don't know what's going to happen at center, or on Eller's wing.

I thought Prust got a little bit much on a little bit long of a deal. But 2.5 on a 70.2 (pending) cap hit is nothing to be concerned about.

I like the options our bottom 6 has. But part of me is kinda disappointed becuase it looks like Eller isn't going to have much in the way of offensive linemates.

Is Prust capable of playing in a shutdown role? Or Armstrong?

Would Moen-Eller-Prust/Armstrong work potentially?

I really can't imagine they gave Prust all those years and all that money to play 11 and a half minutes a night, did they?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

Best move would be Armstrong, somewhat by default -- a low-risk flier on a guy who's been better in the past, though if you're going to do that, Latendresse would have been a better choice. Worst would be Prust, easily one of the worst signings of the day, up there with Kuba to Florida.

Pierre McGuire loves the moves(Prust Armstrong Boullion),nothing but good things to say , so i dunno Mathman could you be off the mark?

You don't like Boullion who will give us another 160 hits on top of Emelin? This is the same Boullion few years ago in Nashville had 133 hit in just 44 games, so i see the value in the Frank the tank, especially now with Emelin's here....

You don't think that''s a good thing?I tell ya what , Boullion is better than CAMPOLI ..or Picard. So you might wanna think a little harder on that.Also Boullion no one will be pushing him around , he stands in there for himself ,i won't watch Spacek get pumbled time and time again ...So it makes Habs tougher.
What Pierre said was BOULLION IS A GOOD THING, for toughness, BUT FOR ALSO IN THE DRESSING ROOM when THERRIEN goes "OFF THE RAILS"....ever think of that Mathman???? ya likely didn't

How is Prust worst signing?Not what McGuire says,HE ACTUALLY HAD HUGE PRAISE for Prust.
Is it his 140 min of penalty kill time?
Is it his 20 fights?yet still avg 12 min a game?
AS guy who doesn't fight for himself , but for his TEAM MATES
ON a team that needs toughness you feel he is worst? Your heads tilted to one side ...

The team was CUPCAKES, it needs this .

Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 02:27 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't know what's going to happen at center, or on Eller's wing.

I thought Prust got a little bit much on a little bit long of a deal. But 2.5 on a 70.2 (pending) cap hit is nothing to be concerned about.

I like the options our bottom 6 has. But part of me is kinda disappointed becuase it looks like Eller isn't going to have much in the way of offensive linemates.

Is Prust capable of playing in a shutdown role? Or Armstrong?

Would Moen-Eller-Prust/Armstrong work potentially?

I really can't imagine they gave Prust all those years and all that money to play 11 and a half minutes a night, did they?
Prust is a top PKer. I'd imagine we'll see Colby tried on Eller's wing with Prust or Moen. Colby has 'some' offensive game but offensive forward like say Kostitsyn? No, the habs are lacking. Unless they mix the lines:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Jagr(or other UFA)-Plekanec-Bourque
Prust-Eller-Gionta
Moen-White-Armstrong

Old
07-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Best: Colby Armstrong
I like this signing slightly more than the Prust one because of the risk/reward factor. Armstrong can be a stellar 3rd liner if he's healthy and he finds the back of the net like he used to. I'm also a fan of the Prust move, but it's a bit less shrewd.

Worst: Francis Bouillon
It's not a bad pickup, per se, but it's on the meh side. Why do we insist on recycling?
Totally agree about Bouillon, we had at least one guy to move on D, why in the HELL would you want to take on this contract... Except maybe if you're sure someone is moving soon and wanted to be sure the alternative could be signed, I mean Weber for Bouillon at this point would you do the switch ? I sure would ...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Et le But

Best, Armstrong easily. Good amount of reward, and if it goes nowhere no loss.

Worst, more what hasn't been done. Boullion is a decent stop gap but there was better options out there, Prust fits a need but was overpaid and doesn't address the more serious lack of talent on this team.

Really it's more concerning how much influence Therrien seems to have on the direction going forward than anything else.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
Totally agree about Bouillon, we had at least one guy to move on D, why in the HELL would you want to take on this contract... Except maybe if you're sure someone is moving soon and wanted to be sure the alternative could be signed, I mean Weber for Bouillon at this point would you do the switch ? I sure would ...
Boullion is a great signing for a team that doesn't have Kaberle or Diaz as 3rd pairings.

As a depth guy I like St. Denis more.

If Kaberle can be dumped its a solid idea though. This one gets an incomplete for me just because I think the defense situation isn't settled yet.

I think nothing of McGuire's approval.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:40 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Best: Armstrong. Low risk, high reward.

Worst: Prust. Just not a fan of the contract at all... Might be one of the worst of the day actually. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:42 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Like Armstrong and Bouillon, Prust is overplayed...

I think we will see Bergevin make a couple of moves, I'm insane, and living in a fantasy world, but it's not out of the question to see Kaberle moved or Markov, to a team that misses out on a top UFA defence man, and giving that both could be had cheap. (not salary wise)

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Best: Armstrong. Low risk, high reward.

Worst: Prust. Just not a fan of the contract at all... Might be one of the worst of the day actually. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Makes me laugh, how does Pierre McGuire love the Prust deal, yet there is (some)Habs fan sayin Prust is worst?

I dunno , there is a joke here and i think i know what it is .

I think some are still wearing Pieere Gauthier panties....When you turn them in, you'll all feel much better ,.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Belso

I have to say the Habs just got a little more "gritty" today. They may not have added Parise or Suter (would have been nice too), but the team addressed some serious needs today. Good job Bergevin!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeeBey

Quote:
but then there was no need to give too much money and too much term to a guy like Brandon Prust
Pierre Mcguire said it best. If you want players to come to Montreal, you have to overpay because of the taxes. It's a simple fact that's known to everyone and having an insider like Pierre say the same thing just confirms it.

I don't know exactly what you're expecting Bergevin to do. I highly doubt we're in on either the Parise or Suter sweepstakes, and if we are, we're likely competing with 30 other teams. And there aren't really any top 6 left wings to choose from. Penner clearly wanted to sign with the Kings, which leaves us with...Darcy Hordichuk?

Quote:
You don't think grit and toughness was a need for Montreal? Where have you been the last ten years?

The bottom six last year was putrid, especially after Moen when down. By having a better bottom six than we did last year, that should help the top six do what they need to do.

Quote:
Brian-Burkesque mentality that won't get the club very far either. As it is, the roster is still worse than the one they started 2011-2012 with, and Bergevin has done little to correct that.
To be fair, the "Burkesque mentality" has won at least one team a cup (Anaaheim) and the Bruins and Kings are also very much "burke" teams, albeit executed by a much more competant management style.

Bergevin's moves could turn out to be flops for all I know. But I think your expectations are unrealistic.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Makes me laugh, how does Pierre McGuire love the Prust deal, yet there is (some)Habs fan sayin Prust is worst?

I dunno , there is a joke here and i think i know what it is .

I think some are still wearing Pieere Gauthier panties....When you turn them in, you'll all feel much better ,.
Relax there buddy. She's not wrong. It's a somewhat surprising deal but it fits a need on the habs. We can deal with it but at 2.5 mil a year for 4 years, yes, it's a little bit of an eye opener.

Also, it's pierre mcguire. I don't mind the guy but people like to switch their tune with him back and forth. Once he's off base and another time he's so smart. Which is it?

Anyway, people are allowed to disagree you know.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:55 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Relax there buddy. She's not wrong. It's a somewhat surprising deal but it fits a need on the habs. We can deal with it but at 2.5 mil a year for 4 years, yes, it's a little bit of an eye opener.

Also, it's pierre mcguire. I don't mind the guy but people like to switch their tune with him back and forth. Once he's off base and another time he's so smart. Which is it?

Maybe Gomez will look good between Prust and White?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Yeah, people saying McGuire likes it so it must be good are treating McGuire's opinion with far more respect than it deserves.