HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Nash is NOT traded....

View Poll Results: If Nash is NOT traded, what happens to start the 2012-2013 season?
Nash returns, keeps the C 32 32.00%
Nash returns, but gives up the C 58 58.00%
Nash refuses to report 6 6.00%
Something else (?) 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
St1ngr

vCash: 500
If Nash is NOT traded....

What happens?

(assuming no lockout)

Old
07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
St1ngr

I think what would happen is Nash will come back, keep the C, and everyone on the CBJ including management will pretend all this never happened.

What should happen is that he should give up the C, after demanding to be traded (and this knowledge becoming public). I think this would be best for the CBJ and for him as well, he can concentrate on playing hockey and he may have a great year (despite the lack of talent around him).

I don't think he wants the PR nightmare that would come with refusing to report or leaving camp once it becomes clear that a deal is not going to happen. This is not Nash's style, and his agent would likely advise against this to avoid the label of a "problem child"

Old
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
leesmith
Still in.

He is taken off the market. He reports to camp without the C, but if he plays well, offers will fire up again and he'll be dealt by the trade deadline.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
He is taken off the market. He reports to camp without the C, but if he plays well, offers will fire up again and he'll be dealt by the trade deadline.
when do they have to make the decision on the captaincy?

Old
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

This..

Quote:
But in reality with Rick being the nice guy that he is, they welcome him back as captain.

Howson has kept to his principles this long, he may be looking for overpayment (or market value from our perspective), but if he caves and leaves us butt hurt, I will be one angry hombre. I have always felt that if they went to Rick and said you have to play your way off the team or take these young guys and lead us to the playoffs Rick is smart enough to know he can't sit out for a year in his prime.

This guy is signed for 5 more years (others are trying to use that as a negative), but this guy is signed for 5 more years,, we can't afford to take a beating in a trade and quite frankly Rick cannot afford to piss away a year either. If others don't want Nash at fair value fooky dem. Our franchise certainly shouldn't act like its a friggin fire sale, Nash isn't a free agent next year.

What I can't figure out from Howson is why he hasn't signed some more talent to play w/ Nash. Meuller, Semin.. fill out a friggin 1st line for crying out loud.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Letting Nash captain this team is symbolizing everything that's wrong with the organization.
"You don't want to be here?" ok let's reward you for that.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 15000
I see Nash coming back but I'm torn on the C. One part of me thinks that CBJ will let him wear the C to avoid any appearance of slighting their star. Another part of me recalls Richards "leadership group" comment this spring which involved Umby, JJ, Wiz & Prospal.

In the end, I don't think it will matter that much in the Win - Loss column.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I call bull ****.. just so you know not everyone agrees on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Letting Nash captain this team is symbolizing everything that's wrong with the organization.
Nash may have been at fault, Howson may have been at fault who really knows? Don't throw the baby out with the wash,, Rick Nash is the only credible star that this franchise has ever had. For goodness sake we finally have a decent blueline.. do something positive in free agency and let another year of his five year deal play out as a Jacket.

You know more about hockey TW (then I will ever know), - but you are a diehard fan, the fringe fans like me need a winner, and we need Nash more then other teams cast off prospects. We need to win asap, not 5 years from now. 5 years of building over and this franchise will be in Tronta or Hamilton.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:51 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post

What I can't figure out from Howson is why he hasn't signed some more talent to play w/ Nash. Meuller, Semin.. fill out a friggin 1st line for crying out loud.
Disagree on Semin, but agree with your overall premise. Even if Nash isn't here, we're going to need good quality guys in the lineup so the youth gets rewarded for hard work and doing things right.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I don't see Rick Nash as the type of player to refuse to report. He has too much respect for the franchise and city for that ... this is the reason he isn't screaming to the media about needing out right now.

I think if he comes back, he comes back without the "C
, but with every opportunity to earn it just like everyone else. I think that's the right way to go about it ... it's a fresh rebuild, it's a fresh captaincy up for everyone's grab. If he out-efforts everyone and takes over the lead, then so be it ... otherwise, let someone else have it.

I'm a big fan of the guy, and the only way I think we lose the Nash scenario is if we give him away for what is currently being offered. We have to hit a homerun with this trade, or not make the trade at all.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:41 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Agreed. If he returns, he isn't the captain. he's asked out and in my opinion, he isn't the right sort of personality to captain this organization where it is currently. If you aren't going to respect the 20 some odd other guys in the room, at least have respect for what the letter represents.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:43 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
when do they have to make the decision on the captaincy?
I don't know. I never understood why our front office is picking the captains. The players should be deciding who their on-ice leaders are.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Green Ice
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I don't see Rick Nash as the type of player to refuse to report. He has too much respect for the franchise and city for that ... this is the reason he isn't screaming to the media about needing out right now.

I think if he comes back, he comes back without the "C
, but with every opportunity to earn it just like everyone else. I think that's the right way to go about it ... it's a fresh rebuild, it's a fresh captaincy up for everyone's grab. If he out-efforts everyone and takes over the lead, then so be it ... otherwise, let someone else have it.

I'm a big fan of the guy, and the only way I think we lose the Nash scenario is if we give him away for what is currently being offered. We have to hit a homerun with this trade, or not make the trade at all.

Agreed. The thing that scares me the most in all of this is Howson is still the GM and thus a screw up of gigantic proportions is bound to be around the corner.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

If Nash is not traded....I will:

"stick a fork in my eye"

((btw...how come I can't view poll results? Earth to techie-boy.))

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 07-10-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 05:52 AM
EspenK

Quote:
I don't know. I never understood why our front office is picking the captains. The players should be deciding who their on-ice leaders are.

I think that is standard procedure in the NHL. I never understood it either. I read once that one of the C's jobs is to act as a liaison between players and mgt and to talk to the ref. Other than that I've never quite understood what a C was supposed to do other than hopefully be a leader.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:14 AM
650X2

Not sure I care anymore.

I guess worst case scenario he fails to report, but I think Nash is better than that/knows it will help him get out faster.

If he does return though, the C will remain his not because it should or shouldn't. It just will be.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:29 AM
CBJFreak

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to CBJFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I'll go with the answer in the poll I previously posted but which was taken down by unknown evil forces.

If Nash is not traded....I will:

"stick a fork in my eye"

((btw...how come I can't view poll results? Earth to techie-boy.))
Because you have a fork in your eye, Jf

I think Nash gives up the C if he stays and does so on his own accord. I don't think he'll want more of a spotlight on the situation, and if he keeps it, it'll be more like a bulls eye than a letter.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Richards may decide to forego having a true captain and may instead move the C from player to player.

I would not be surprised or displeased if Nash kept it while here. Whatever gives us the most competitive team on the ice...

Old
07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Let the team pick THEIR captain, not the fans. If it's Nash, so be it.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Matt

Give it ti Johnson

Old
07-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Give it ti Johnson
Am I the only one who wants to see more than 20 or so games before handing the keys to the kingdom to Jack?

I like him... A LOT. But, talk about small sample.

Odds are he's the real deal, but for chrissake he's barely even unpacked his suitcases and everyone wants to deify him.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

no you're not Derby...he needs to earn it...not be handed it...that's how we got in this position to begin with

Old
07-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Prospal

Old
07-10-2012, 08:14 AM
NTDP

The team captain asked to be traded. If it were up to Nash he wouldn't have been here past the trading deadline last year. You can't keep him as the captain of the team when he clearly does not want to be a part of it anymore. I say give it to Jack Johnson. During the World Championships he captains Team USA, so he's had that experience before. Plus, he has the personality for it.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
EspenK

Teams do go without captains for periods of time. that could be the solution. There is no captain. Just A's. I think you have to have A;s so there is someone to talk to the ref.

Closed Thread