HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin news confrence at 4:30

Old
07-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
But we're tougher now!!!

We seriously need a top 6 forward. At least another top 9 guy.
Seems like all that matters for habs fans.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Am I the only one who obviously sees this team in a rebuild year next season? I mean, if they don't get a top-6 winger or a top-4 D, then the management might as well admit as much.
I don't mind, with a few contracts on 1 year deals and several on 2 year deals maybe the habs can trade them for young players, picks, prospects and be ready for a perrenial contender in 2-3 years.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yeah seriously, who needs goals and stuff?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
What do you want from him? Is he supposed to overpay for a bunch of veterans who likely won't contend for a cup anyways? He's playing the cards that he's been dealt. His mandate right now is to make the team competitive/respectable/tough to play against - not good, as that would be impossible. Right now, the goal simply needs to be: make the playoffs.

This team will be a serious cup contender, in 3 years, when you have Price in nets, a D of Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Gorges, and another vet or two; with Galchenyuk and Collberg on the team, along with Gallagher, Kristo, Pacioretty, DD, maybe Pleks, Eller, Leblanc, Prust, and other vets.

Let's be realistic.
Soory, but a solid scorer and Top 4 defenceman make this team a good one...

What separates good GMs from bad ones are their abilities to get their guy... via trade or the market. We haven't had these kind of GMs since a long time.

There are guys, very good ones, that are available out there... get one, period.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Top Corner2

is there a link to the press conference?

What did he say?

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
InglewoodJack

It's so obviously a rebuild year. Armstrong and bouillon are to fill holes so we don't embarrass ourself too much. I see Prust as a piece they want to build the 4th line with in the future, and Armstrong was given a short term deal to test the waters, see if he has anything left in the tank. I expect another bottom 10 finish, and I have no problem with that.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Darth Joker

In fairness to Bergevin, Montreal can't be a very attractive free agent destination right now.

We don't have many prestigious players that free agents would like to play with (if Parise signs with Pittsburgh, Crosby will be a bit part of the reason why), we're coming off a horrible season, there's the Montreal media atmosphere, and then there's Quebec taxes.

Unless you're a guy like Colby Armstrong - grew up a Habs fan - why would you want to go play for the Habs right now?

That being said, I hope Bergevin will at least try to improve his team with a trade or two if he can't get any more free agents.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Soory, but a solid scorer and Top 4 defenceman make this team a good one...

What separates good GMs from bad ones are their abilities to get their guy... via trade or the market. We haven't had these kind of GMs since a long time.

There are guys, very good ones, that are available out there... get one, period.
Okay, which 'Top scorer and D-Man' would make us a cup contender? And if whoever you're thinking about isn't a FA, please tell me who you'd give up.
Cup contenders are stacked. They aren't scrubs with a couple good players.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Darth Joker

We might just have to hope that Gionta stays healthy and that Bourque bounces back. If that happens, we have two good scoring lines, and we're Ok. If that doesn't happen... we're probably in trouble.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
habitue*

The Habs communication advisors should had cancelled this press conference. Bergevin was obviously tired and pissed off. He possibly worked very hard in the last few days, for very little results. I am pretty sure he tried very hard to get a top-six forward and another top-four d-man.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
We might just have to hope that Gionta stays healthy and that Bourque bounces back. If that happens, we have two good scoring lines, and we're Ok. If that doesn't happen... we're probably in trouble.
...like any teams in the NHL except the top 5 or 6.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Okay, which 'Top scorer and D-Man' would make us a cup contender? And if whoever you're thinking about isn't a FA, please tell me who you'd give up.
Cup contenders are stacked. They aren't scrubs with a couple good players.
I didn't say cup contender, I said good one... Nash, Ryan, maybe both Kanes, maybe more, we don't know.

All prospects, except Gally, are available + Gionta, maybe Cole and Plekky (depending on the reurn cause these guys are gold)... + draft picks...

Also, Salavador on the market would be a solid signing...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Those smurfs are mad aggressive though. Like little wolverines... Or badgers
More like Baggins

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yeah seriously, who needs goals and stuff?
I see it a bit differently.

I like that we've added sandpaper to a spot that needed it fairly badly. These guys aren't just goons, they can grind. We haven't had a mix of grinders like this in years. Pittsburgh won a lot of games this year because their bottom 6 grinded it out after players went down with injury.

With that being said, yes, we're lacking at top 6 player, but I don't think these signings are bad news at all. Gives us a semblance of identity. We've been lacking character in this spot for far too long, and now we have it.

Last edited by Coldplay: 07-02-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I see it a bit differently.

I like that we've added sandpaper to a spot that needed it fairly badly. These guys are just goons, they can grind. We haven't had a mix of grinders like this in years. Pittsburgh won a lot of games this year because their bottom 6 grinded it out after players went down with injury.

With that being said, yes, we're lacking at top 6 player, but I don't think these signings are bad news at all. Gives us a semblance of identity. We've been lacking character in this spot for far too long, and now we have it.
I totally agree with you. Our bottom 9 has been neglected for so long and I'm happy that it has some kind of identity now.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I guarantee Bergevin isn't close to being done, he's not going to say "yeah this team has lots of garbage and we have lots of work to do" when the media asks. Its the second day of free agency and we'll likely see a couple of trades being made before the season starts.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
MarkersMark*

Things are looking as expected for next season. This ship was always going to take some time to turn around. Fortunately the next draft looks deep and we have a ton of picks in the top-60. Another top-5 pick will do wonders, and if things are bleak by the new-year I wouldn't be surprised to see us move some names like Markov, Gionta, Kaberle, Bourque, and even Plekanec.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
MB just said that he won't buy out Scott Gomez on 990 and he is part of the team.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I didn't say cup contender, I said good one... Nash, Ryan, maybe both Kanes, maybe more, we don't know.

All prospects, except Gally, are available + Gionta, maybe Cole and Plekky (depending on the reurn cause these guys are gold)... + draft picks...

Also, Salavador on the market would be a solid signing...
Have you not learned from the Rangers of year's ago, as well as the Habs more recently - with Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, et al that that's NOT how you build a long term winner? The Rangers tried UFA's over and over again, and then learned, you develop a Stepan, a Kreider, a Hagelin, a Girardi, Del Zotto, etc. You then add some vets, coupled with a great goalie, and you win. THAT's what the Habs are doing now. You sign Semin, or trade for Nash or Bobby Ryan, and you're wasting $ or prospects.

When the Habs great young prospects are ready, in 2-3 years, THAT's when you spend the $. As a life long fan, as far as I'm concerned, they can miss the playoffs the next two years, but if they can contend for a cup, for many years, in 3-4 years, it will be worth it. Enough with this 6th to 10th place stuff, it's time to turn this franchise into a cup contender again. Character now; develop talent from within; augment it with UFAs later.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
I guarantee Bergevin isn't close to being done, he's not going to say "yeah this team has lots of garbage and we have lots of work to do" when the media asks. Its the second day of free agency and we'll likely see a couple of trades being made before the season starts.
he's probably done and he pointed out more than once that he wants to leave room for the younger upcoming players.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The Habs communication advisors should had cancelled this press conference. Bergevin was obviously tired and pissed off. He possibly worked very hard in the last few days, for very little results. I am pretty sure he tried very hard to get a top-six forward and another top-four d-man.
Salvador is sitting right there..

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Salvador is sitting right there..
I doubt he's on the radar. He's 36 and probably wants a 3 year contract. There are kids knocking on the door in Hamilton (not this season, but certainly next).

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
MB just said that he won't buy out Scott Gomez on 990 and he is part of the team.
Obviously he wont buy him out. Gomez is finished on the Habs. Look at the roster. Theres no spot for him

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
... It's pretty obvious that he is still part of the team with the contract he has and the salary he is still making. No big news here.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I doubt he's on the radar. He's 36 and probably wants a 3 year contract. There are kids knocking on the door in Hamilton (not this season, but certainly next).
Anything more than a 1 year deal at this point would be lunacy for him.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote