HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin news confrence at 4:30

Old
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Obviously he wont buy him out. Gomez is finished on the Habs. Look at the roster. Theres no spot for him

yes. The 13th forward.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I see it a bit differently.

I like that we've added sandpaper to a spot that needed it fairly badly.
I agree. I mean, we are lacking in top 6 talent right now. But, when you look at this year as a new beginning, we have done alright. We had a fair number of picks, and some of those prospects look pretty good, especially Galch and Collberg. On top of that, we have added some physicality which is another item on the checklist. The short term contracts to Bouillon and Armstrong suggest we are just filling holes to keep the team respectable while we wait for Tinordi, Beaulieu, and co.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
yes. The 13th forward.
Zero chance if that, He will be bought out in new CBA or in Hamilton

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
goldglove

Price signing was just a candy for the media , he was working on something else i'm sure

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vi Nc E x13x

Bergy just said he wont buy gomez out

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I see it a bit differently.

I like that we've added sandpaper to a spot that needed it fairly badly. These guys aren't just goons, they can grind. We haven't had a mix of grinders like this in years. Pittsburgh won a lot of games this year because their bottom 6 grinded it out after players went down with injury.

With that being said, yes, we're lacking at top 6 player, but I don't think these signings are bad news at all. Gives us a semblance of identity. We've been lacking character in this spot for far too long, and now we have it.
I never said otherwise. I just said we're still missing top 6 talent. We can argue that bottom 6 is improved and I agree but as you and I said, we need a top 6 guy.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never said otherwise. I just said we're still missing top 6 talent. We can argue that bottom 6 is improved and I agree but as you and I said, we need a top 6 guy.
Can't agree more.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
MB also pointed out that Bourque is to stay and that he is not ready to throw the towel on him... hope it pays off!

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Bergy just said he wont buy gomez out
That's because he'll bury him in the minors.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
MB also pointed out that Bourque is to stay and that he is not ready to throw the towel on him... hope it pays off!
Logical decision for sure.

As for Gomez I wouldnt be surprised if he stayed with us to play on the 4th line.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:24 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Zero chance if that, He will be bought out in new CBA or in Hamilton
I was kidding.

But you never know. He could have an exceptional training camp. One of the other centers might be injured. And Bingo, Gomez is back in the loop.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
That's because he'll bury him in the minors.
EXACTLY.

He will not be bought out. If he has a great camp, he'll be on the team. Anything less than that and he'll be in Hamilton. Also, if the Habs land a big name in a trade, and cap space needs to be cleared, he'll go to Hamilton.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
EXACTLY.

He will not be bought out. If he has a great camp, he'll be on the team. Anything less than that and he'll be in Hamilton. Also, if the Habs land a big name in a trade, and cap space needs to be cleared, he'll go to Hamilton.
Scott Gomez always has good camps. Camp wont matter. The page has turned on him. He has a zero % chance of playing in Montreal next year

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Scott Gomez always has good camps. Camp wont matter. The page has turned on him. He has a zero % chance of playing in Montreal next year
Good one. I'm pretty confident if habs have the capspace Gomez will be on the team barring extreme fail on Gomez's part.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Good one. I'm pretty confident if habs have the capspace Gomez will be on the team barring extreme fail on Gomez's part.
You're right. They won't buy out his contract, nor burry him in Hamilton.

Therrien will give him every chance to succeed.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
CrazyShea

We all knew he wouldn't buy out Gomez. It would have been stupid to have a cap hit for 4 years. But hopefully he does bury him in the minors

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
We all knew he wouldn't buy out Gomez. It would have been stupid to have a cap hit for 4 years. But hopefully he does bury him in the minors
He will bury Gomez as soon as Parise decides to become a Hab.........Fingers crossed.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
I very much doubt he'll get buried unless we absolutely need that cap space.

Gomez, like it or not, is the 4th best C on this team. Nokelainen should play over him because Gomez won't fit the mold of the 4th line - but if a Top-9 C goes down to injury, Gomez is the best option we have at C to replace them, since Galchenyuk will be unavailable.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Journalists.

Chris Pronger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
yianik

I think MB might be about done. Hes the new GM of a bottom dweller team, GMs in that boat anyway have to be given 5-6 years to do their thing, like BG was. If thats the case then players MB drafted this year and next will be hitting the big club before those 5-6 years, maybe 1 or 2 alot sooner. Now MB does have some very good young players who will be in their prime for the next 5-6 years. He also has a flood of young guys hitting the Bulldogs , who will need a couple of years of seasonong for the most part.
I had badly wanted a big, defensive, hitting D-man for the top 4. Yeah, I figured a solid player in that mold would want a multi-million ( $3.5M-$4M) multi-year contract (4-5 ) and I thought that would be fine. So MB gets Cubes, on a 1 year deal. Didnt get it. Well, there is Emelin, not a young guy but young to the NHL. He absolutely has the potential to be a top 4 player , but wouldnt get that chance if we signed a player like that long term. We should likely know if Emelin can do it this year because that will be 2 years of getting used to the NHL game.
I think MB is wary of risky contracts for lots of bucks and lots of years. Moen and Prust arent risky, while they may slow a step I think both these guys will be delivering what we signed them for until their contract is up. The last couple of years they will be around when young guys start making their mark with the big team.
Anyway, I think it may be possible MB is okay with not doing anything big or dramatic this year. Still think we need a skilled player for Eller because if we have any hopes of him being a point producer of any level, he needs to develop his offensive skills.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Yeah we sucked last season because our bottom 6 was too soft. Sorry but that's laughable.

Defense,powerplay and the lack of scoring from the 2nd line were our problems.

We still have the same glaring problems.

We have a better coaching staff but will that be enough to compensate ? I doubt it.

No one can argue with the problems you identify and the fact that nothing has been done to directly address them. What some of us will argue is that none of the moves he has made have taken us a step back and some of them have taken us a step forward with the bottom 6. Will it move us forward in the standings? No (unless our injured and under performing players play at their full potential) but I do think that the moves made are taking us in the right direction. I'm hoping that either someone steps up to fill the holes we still have or that they are filled through a trade or next year with the better free agent crop. With the team we have right now, I think I'd be looking for a serious run at the Cup in 2 or 3 years and for at least 2 or 3 years straight. In the meantime, don't use band aid solutions that allow us to compete in the playoffs without being able to compete for the big prize.

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
habitue*

An improved bottom six will allow the top-six to do a better job. They will now concentrate on offence. Plekky in particular gonna benefit greatly to have more offensive missions and less PK to kill. Gionta will be back. Bourque gonna get a fire light up his ass by the new, more demanding coaching staff.

Hopefully, Markov will be back at (almost) 100%, and the kids have one more season of experience under their belt.

this team is progressing. Not a top-four yet in the Conference, but a more competitive team who can make the playoffs next Spring.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Only team I see us finishing ahead of in our division is Toronto.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

According to capgeek. Habs have only:

Diaz
Subban
St Denis
Eller
Geoffrion
Palushaj

to sign and have 8+ mil in capspace. nearly 16 mil if you remove Gomez's contract. Do you REALLY believe we need 16 mil?

What makes the scenario even more underwhelming is the fact with those 3 D signed, habs will have:

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Weber
Boullion
Kaberle

on D

with St. Denis, Nash, Beaulieu, Tinordi as backup.

We have 8 mil with 8 NHL D lol. I'd imagine one even gets moved.

Unless we get a big fish(and even then, 8 mil) Gomez won't be sent down because we're doing nothing with the space.

Misread: 8 mil, not 17.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 07-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Only team I see us finishing ahead of in our division is Toronto.
As long as they don't take Barkov from us.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote