HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hey Guys, the Zanon signing makes sense: Frenzy III

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 500
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Quote:
While the Blues are in the market for a Dman, I'm told they also want a top-6 forward. Both could come via trade if free agency fails.
here come the Stastny to St. Louis proposals.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

here come the Stastny to St. Louis proposals.
They don't have the necessary pieces to make that kind of deal. Guys like Bozak, Connolly and Lombardi.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Hans Landaskog

here is something to keep you occupied.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/7...nzy-part-trois

you know, besides work.

edit: nvm, not much to see there.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Huh.

So you two liked what the Avs were doing not long after the lock-out, icing mediocre teams with no future? As long as they're spending money that's all that matters? Hey, remember how stoked we all were to land Hannan AND Smyth? How'd that work out?

Also, the Avs have been active these last few days. You seem to assume that they can get whatever guy is out there. There are 30 teams prepared to spend as much as it takes to get Parise and/or Suter. What makes Colorado so special?

Exactly. Colorado isn't that special of a place to play anymore. I blame a lot of that on ownership. I spent a lot of the last seasons waiting and being patient for the ship to be righted, but after you pour over $100,000 into a team buying tickets, there's only so much you can take. How often do you go to games? Or do you just sit at home and watch TV and turn it off when they're losing big?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Exactly. Colorado isn't that special of a place to play anymore. I blame a lot of that on ownership. I spent a lot of the last seasons waiting and being patient for the ship to be righted, but after you pour over $100,000 into a team buying tickets, there's only so much you can take. How often do you go to games? Or do you just sit at home and watch TV and turn it off when they're losing big?
I understand your frustration, I feel this team right now is like the 93-95 Nords. Sure would suck if you sold the tickets only for them to come back to the glory days.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Some people have been completely spoiled since the move to Denver and haven't come to terms with our old guard retiring and the implications of a salary cap.

I, for one, am ecstatic with what Sherman has done and what he continues to build with this organization. I am glad we are not handcuffed by ridiculous contracts just for the sake of saying "look, we're paying dudes money." This ensures we can enter these summer windows with all the flexibility in the world to keep all of our young talent. We're in the first week of July and close to getting all of our restricted free agents signed. A month ago, that seemed like a massive task.

Ownership will spend when we need to spend. This is not a Stanley Cup contending team yet, and no amount of free agent, overpaid band-aids will correct that in the short term. It is simply impossible to expect us to be a front runner for Parise/Suter. Everybody is offering the same money, we simply are not at the contending level to attract them yet. That's not something to be upset about.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

But we have Joe Sakic!!!!!!

Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
I gotta agree.

I've spent the last 15 or so years as a season ticket holder for the Avs and gave up my seats this year. I understand what the team is doing, and for the casual attending fan or someone that watches hockey on TV, I guess what the Avs are doing is good for you. But dumping $10K on this product on the ice every year - I just couldn't do it any more.

I have a totally different viewpoint I think from most people on this board because of it. The fact that we continually sit at the salary cap floor is just completely disgusting to me. The two Stanley Cups more than proved Denver is an able and willing market to support a winning hockey club. Yet Mr. Kroenke and his wonder boy don't see it the same way apparently.

That's fine that we get PAP and all these second tier guys, but it's really sad and disappointing to me that we spend all these threads talking ourselves into liking these guys and essentially talking ourselves into making sense of these moves. The moves don't make sense to me - the fact that we're not heavily in play for a guy like Parise or Suter is just disappointing to me. I think we're going to get Carle realistically. And he's ok, but this just is all second rate to me and selling Colorado Avalanche fans and their season ticket holders short.

Unfortunately, I bought into this UFA period hook, line, and sinker thinking we were going to make a major move. And with every day that we don't hear Colorado linked to any of these big names, it creates more and more disgust in me. The last thing I want this franchise to turn into is the Colorado Rockies but the management of the organization is getting closer every year. At least the Avs have hit on a few draft picks, or they'd be totally in the dumps. They just have gotten lucky there.

Anyways, /rant
While I wouldn't for a second trade the Avs' roster for the Flames', I do understand your frustration with what the team has been doing. I also declined to renew my season tickets this year, as it looks like the Avs will be near the cap floor again.

As for not going after the top-tier players out there, I guess in the Avs defense, if they feel they already have those top-tier-players-in-the-making, then we all simply need to be patient and wait until they grow into their all star uniforms. I don't buy into that, but that could be their position. Or their front.

-AB

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Some people have been completely spoiled since the move to Denver and haven't come to terms with our old guard retiring and the implications of a salary cap.

I, for one, am ecstatic with what Sherman has done and what he continues to build with this organization. I am glad we are not handcuffed by ridiculous contracts just for the sake of saying "look, we're paying dudes money." This ensures we can enter these summer windows with all the flexibility in the world to keep all of our young talent. We're in the first week of July and close to getting all of our restricted free agents signed. A month ago, that seemed like a massive task.

Ownership will spend when we need to spend. This is not a Stanley Cup contending team yet, and no amount of free agent, overpaid band-aids will correct that in the short term. It is simply impossible to expect us to be a front runner for Parise/Suter. Everybody is offering the same money, we simply are not at the contending level to attract them yet. That's not something to be upset about.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
By the way, the Avs are currently 19th in team payroll, with Johnson/O'Reilly/McGinn still to sign.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Quote:
Morning blog, http://es.pn/N6t2HR
Quote:
The wait continued Tuesday morning as Zach Parise and Ryan Suter contemplated the biggest decisions of their hockey lives.

Parise was slated to fly back to his native Minnesota on Tuesday and it wasn’t clear when he’d have a decision made, although a source close to him thought sometime Tuesday was a probability.

Likewise, Suter remained undecided.

"When a young man is asked to commit for 13 years, why is it considered extraordinary to take a few days to make a decision? A deal will happen when it happens," Suter’s agent Neil Sheehy told ESPN.com via email Tuesday morning.

While the hockey world waits on Paris and Suter, other UFAs also wait. Matt Carle is the top UFA defenseman after Suter and you have to think it won’t take long after Suter signs for Carle to also agree to terms with one of the teams that swung and missed on Suter.

I like Carle a lot as a player. It’s going to be a terrific consolation prize for a Suter suitor. And so, the Carle camp sits and waits.

"Patience is a critical component of this process and we have plenty of it," Carle’s agent Kurt Overhardt told ESPN.com via email Tuesday morning.

More rumblings

Forty-year-old Jaromir Jagr has garnered lots of attention as well. His agent Petr Svoboda told ESPN.com Tuesday morning that he was hoping to have his future Hall-of-Fame client signed with a team by the end of the week.
A source close to the Rick Nash situation told ESPN.com Tuesday morning there is still nothing imminent on the trade front. Of course, Parise still hadn’t signed yet either, which is the moment the Blue Jackets were waiting to get the ball seriously going again on that front. The suitors I think remain the Rangers and Sharks and potentially the Hurricanes. Carolina is not on Nash’s "list" but the ‘Canes would love to get Nash and they’re hoping he’ll change his mind. If I’m Rick Nash, I give Carolina some thought. The Canes are a team on the rise with good young talent and, of course, the recent Jordan Staal acquisition.
Once Parise signs, the Bobby Ryan trade talks should also heat up in Anaheim. He’s a cheaper contract to absorb than Nash, so the Ducks could really jam things up for Columbus. I still think the Flyers love Ryan. I think Anaheim wants to try and recoup a second-line center in any deal for Ryan.
Cristobal Huet, remember him? He’s a UFA and he’s willing to come back to the NHL on bargain dollars as a backup. I’d take a chance on him. It just so happens the Winnipeg Jets still need to find a backup goalie to replace Chris Mason. I’d be all over Huet if I were the Jets.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Hans Landaskog

woah, Dan Rosen doing a good job replying to tweets, here is his response to me.

Quote:
@drosennhl any news on Semin? How might moves in Detroit affect his landing spot? Colorado?
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

Quote:
Haven't heard much in regards to Semin at all, but I have heard people saying Detroit is a good spot for him. Detroit in on Parise, though.
Quote:
To answer some ??s: I do think some trades will happen after Parise signs; not sure what Pens Plan B is, if they have one; no idea on Semin.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
I am going to keep this strictly anonymous, but a player friend of mine in the league has expressed to me that he would really enjoy playing in the Mile High City (and no, this is not because I was pestering him for an answer). Once again, I will not name names, but to say Colorado is not a special place to play is not entirely the truth. Of course it is not the same as the days of Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, etc, but we all have got to realize that times change. The respect for the organization is still there. Now the Avs are just starting to put the pieces together now- once they start competing, watch the FAs file right in. Not everyone can be like Detroit.

Quote:

I completely agree. Every last bit of it.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
I, for one, am ecstatic with what Sherman has done and what he continues to build with this organization. I am glad we are not handcuffed by ridiculous contracts just for the sake of saying "look, we're paying dudes money." This ensures we can enter these summer windows with all the flexibility in the world
...after missing the playoffs.

I hear your point, and it has merit. Large crappy contracts can be crippling. But as you look at this roster, does this look like a playoff-competitive defense to you? Unless the Avs surprise all of us with an additional big UFA/RFA signing, it looks as if the Avs will hug the cap floor once again. That's 4 years in a row now. How can that be defended?

As I said in an earlier post, the only real defense is that the Avs believe they have these elite players, but they just haven't matured enough yet. A slippery slope, that one. While there are a number of players who tantalize us with some snippets of elite play (EJ, Duchene, Landeskog, Varlamov) and while it would suck if they became elite players and the Avs blew their cap room on other contracts, we could all very well be major suckers believing said rhetoric from what is simply a financially frugal organization. <shrug> Who knows?

-AB

Old
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Hans Landaskog

well to be fair the floor has been brought up significantly every year and the roster hasn't changed all that much, mostly RFAs from trades and minor depth signings. We have quite a few budding stars that if all goes well will require a hefty raise.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
woah, Dan Rosen doing a good job replying to tweets, here is his response to me.

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Ask him if Colorado is still one Suter's choices.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i want Semin to be an Av. we must not lose him!

Old
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 255
What's the twitter sources you are using tonight.
I pretty much only have nhlwiki on that have updated at all for 15h.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

4 yrs $15 million for Erik Johnson #Avs

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Erik Johnson deal with Colorado averages out at $3.75 per year #Avs

Andy Strickland Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Erik Johnson and the Colorado #Avs have finalized a 4 year contract extension
very nice, Sherman is a deal wiz

Old
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
...after missing the playoffs.

I hear your point, and it has merit. Large crappy contracts can be crippling. But as you look at this roster, does this look like a playoff-competitive defense to you? Unless the Avs surprise all of us with an additional big UFA/RFA signing, it looks as if the Avs will hug the cap floor once again. That's 4 years in a row now. How can that be defended?

As I said in an earlier post, the only real defense is that the Avs believe they have these elite players, but they just haven't matured enough yet. A slippery slope, that one. While there are a number of players who tantalize us with some snippets of elite play (EJ, Duchene, Landeskog, Varlamov) and while it would suck if they became elite players and the Avs blew their cap room on other contracts, we could all very well be major suckers believing said rhetoric from what is simply a financially frugal organization. <shrug> Who knows?

-AB
I've heard Sakic's interviews since he came back and took on his new role and what he says about his experience with Quebec and their rise, then linking it to the Avs' current rebuild, I completely agree that they believe they have players on the roster who will develop into stars. Plus the aforementioned blowups via free agency that didn't get them to the Cup. Yes, a slippery slope, but swinging the other way and getting handcuffed is slippery too, and something fresh in management's memory. I hope the plan is for real, and if the guys we have do develop into elite players, we may be closer than we think. If not, it's gonna suck for a long time.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Hans Landaskog

Craig Button sticking up for Semin.

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton

Quote:
Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Craig Button sticking up for Semin.

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
First time I agree with Button.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Hans Landaskog

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

Quote:
Avs re-sign Erik Johnson and signs are pointing to the Devils re-signing Bryce Salvador, according to @Ledger_NJDevils.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Hans Landaskog

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Quote:
Bryce Salvador agrees to 3 year, $9.5 contract with New Jersey Devils. $3.16 aav.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreally View Post
darren dreger ‏@darrendreger
yes! Yes! Yes!

Closed Thread