HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed3r View Post
Flyers fans over value their players, especially on Defense.

Timmonen..another year older and closer to retirement
Coburn...Which one shows up this year.
Grossman...Why did Dallas get rid of him again.
Schenn...See Grossman, replace Dallas with Toronto
Meszaros...Injured most of the year
Lilja...over the hill 7th defenseman
Man that is a brutal analysis.

Not sure you could ever over value Kimmo. In fact its quite opposite. People treat him like his is a bottom line player.

Coburn had a good year.

Without Pronger, Grossman is easily one of the top 2 D's on the team. He was a huge improvement until Pitt took both his knees out and then Malkin tried giving him a concussion.

Schenn is unknown. Kid could be huge. Toronto needed a playmaker. We needed a D. Not exactly rocket science why this trade happened.

I'm looking for Mez to have a better year if he stays healthy.

Lilja.....ya.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Would be in amazement if we got JayBo, would be an excellent addition to the club.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Would be in amazement if we got JayBo, would be an excellent addition to the club.
Mez+ for JBo?

Old
07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
schroed3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Man that is a brutal analysis.

Lilja.....ya.
Ok, I guess I was a bit harsh on the D, but I'm really just remembering how bad we looked against the Penguins in the first round. If Fleury played anywhere near his caliber we would be all *****ing about a first round exit. Not to mention the butt kicking the Devils forecheck gave us in the second round. With the team as it is, I see another first or second round exit.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Mez+ for JBo?
Doubt they'd want another one-way contract on defense but maybe we can get it done with picks only? Mesz+ would be good though.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Doubt they'd want another one-way contract on defense but maybe we can get it done with picks only? Mesz+ would be good though.
Even if JayBo is an upgrade, I'd still like to use Mez to possibly try to get Ryan (if possible without giving a center).

Old
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Ok, I guess I was a bit harsh on the D, but I'm really just remembering how bad we looked against the Penguins in the first round. If Fleury played anywhere near his caliber we would be all *****ing about a first round exit. Not to mention the butt kicking the Devils forecheck gave us in the second round. With the team as it is, I see another first or second round exit.
The main problem of this team is the forwards' inability to play D, not the defensemen themselves.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

They don't take Mez + picks.

JayBo is criminally underrated. Played the hardest competition in the entire NHL last year on a team as terrible as Calgary.

He can play the transition game, has a great outlet pass, one of the best skaters in the NHL, size ( but isn't a hitter ), good shot, and blocks a ton of shots.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Even if JayBo is an upgrade, I'd still like to use Mez to possibly try to get Ryan (if possible without giving a center).
I find it hard to believe Meszaros has much value coming off back surgery. If Michalek returned scraps, that's probably what Meszaros will return too.

Unless the Penguins just gave him away for nothing on purpose.

Honestly it'll probably take our 1st+ to grab Bouwmeester especially with all the interest.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Anaheim has no use for Mezsaros after the acqusition of Souray and Allen, I think.

I'm with the others, if Mez + futures gets Bouwmeester, it is something worth considering. He could take a lot of the weight of Timonen next year.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Well yeah man. Everybody was injured lol.

Pronger -didnt play
Grossman- missed a game and then played injured
Mez- didnt play

Those players are all in our top 4-5 D on the team.

That leaves Kimmo, and Colby carrying the workload.

And Carle, Gust and Lilja scrambling to fill huge minutes of ice time.

No wonder we were bad.

Edit

You could add MAB to the injury list too as he carried a decent chunk of ice time (and looked pretty darn good) only to be sidelined with a concussion.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The point is you have to overpay or give up assets to get these guys. They don't come free in a vacuum. You can't complain about the cost of defenseman if you support them giving away picks like candy.

Coburn was a steal, but you don't see too many trades like these.

The Flyers have had Meszaros making $4M on their 3rd pairing because they can't develop one they trust.

They gave up a 2nd round pick for Kubina also because they can't develop depth they trust.

They gave up a 2nd line forward for Schenn and they are still looking for defense and need to add a winger. That solved what exactly?

They had to trade a chunk of the future to overpay for a 35 year old Pronger.
I dont see what you're complaining about. Our D is the same as most teams in the league. You have yet to give me a reason why it matters that we dont draft most of our defenders.

We only have one overpaid defender and that is Timonen-- and that one is completely excusable. The rest are priced just fine. And the only real asset we gave up to get any of them was JVR, but the jury is out on Schenn.

So, once again, what are you complaining about?

Old
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I dont see what you're complaining about. Our D is the same as most teams in the league. You have yet to give me a reason why it matters that we dont draft most of our defenders.

We only have one overpaid defender and that is Timonen-- and that one is completely excusable. The rest are priced just fine. And the only real asset we gave up to get any of them was JVR, but the jury is out on Schenn.

So, once again, what are you complaining about?
I'm not complaining about anything. I'm saying fans can't complain about them not fixing the defense and then complain about the prices for defenseman. If the market is your way to add defense then you have to pay market prices. It's pretty simple. I never said it matters that they don't draft them. Those are your words.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

We signed Bruno Gervais. Deph signing. It'll be at like $600,000.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:55 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I'm not complaining about anything. I'm saying fans can't complain about them not fixing the defense and then complain about the prices for defenseman. If the market is your way to add defense then you have to pay market prices. It's pretty simple. I never said it matters that they don't draft them. Those are your words.
Who is doing that?

Everyone knows the market inflates the price of players...nobody's complaining that we didnt fix our "defensive issues". Can you show me someone who is complaining about our inability to sign Suter/Carle/Colaiacovo/Roszival? Because I dont see anyone.

I think most people think our current defense would be acceptable entering next year.

You are talking about something that isnt even happening. This is exactly what I mean. Even when there is nothing to complain about, Flyers fans have to manufacture something that is not satisfactory

Par for the course.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
toughfighter83*

if im right it means that mez or someone else on d is getting traded for ryan or nash? it doesnt make sense they are getting another defensemen, they need defense up front now. jake hasnt been signed either, so he's probably on the block, he probably wants alot of money.

they are probably going to give us nash or ryan without trading courts or schenn.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Stranger Danger
the

F.A. so far has been pretty boring as a Flyer's fan, but I guess I'm ok with that. Need a key guy on D, and someone to fill in for Jagr, but other than that, I am pretty confident with what we got!

Old
07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
if im right it means that mez or someone else on d is getting traded for ryan or nash? it doesnt make sense they are getting another defensemen, they need defense up front now. jake hasnt been signed either, so he's probably on the block, he probably wants alot of money.

they are probably going to give us nash or ryan without trading courts or schenn.
I don't think Mez has that kind of value. Out of our D's Coburn would have the most value, but I wouldn't want to trade him. Mez would be a dump.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I don't think Mez has that kind of value. Out of our D's Coburn would have the most value, but I wouldn't want to trade him. Mez would be a dump.
Mez isn't a dump. He's young, has played well when healthy, and is signed at a reasonable value. He is also not a center piece to a deal.... His value is similar now to when we acquired him.... A 2nd round pick.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:16 PM
YuioIklo

We can't afford trading any of our pieces right now. And we need at least 2 players. I feel that Holmgren is gonna get Nash/Ryan for many picks and/or prospects.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Mez isn't a dump. He's young, has played well when healthy, and is signed at a reasonable value. He is also not a center piece to a deal.... His value is similar now to when we acquired him.... A 2nd round pick.
I agree.

That's also why he can't be the centerpiece of a deal for Bouwmeester, who holds significantly more than a 2nd round value.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Le Oranje

I don't understand why we'd trade a defenseman to get a defenseman...makes no sense.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
I don't understand why we'd trade a defenseman to get a defenseman...makes no sense.
Because the defenseman we would be acquiring is better than the one we'd be giving up?

Old
07-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Because the defenseman we would be acquiring is better than the one we'd be giving up?
still leaves a hole, at defense.....

Old
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicBRYZ View Post
still leaves a hole, at defense.....
Where?

Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Schenn
Mezsaros-MAB / Gus
Lilja.

Our personnel is not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Closed Thread