HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Lost in all the euphoria about not over-spending--best of luck, Matt. The kid always seemed to play hard, and he's earned (most of) that payday.

Old
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

We need another defenseman.

Old
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Way to hold off homer! I'm proud of you!
I agree with you ! Homer is a much better GM than most here give him credit for......He ain't perfect and certainly hind sight is always 20-20.......But i like Homers approach to things, and like that he is keeping his powder dry with out panicking and making deals just for the sake of making deals....

Old
07-04-2012, 09:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While I wasnt Carle's biggest fan and didnt want to overpay. He still leaves a hole on D that needs to be filled. Schenn is not enough...

Old
07-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
No. It suggests that he decided to go with Parise to Minnesotta this morning. Why let the Predators match at this point when you've already made up your mind?
I was simply summarizing the (reactive) sentiments that I saw on Nashville's board. They believe he always intended to go to the upper Midwest--Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, wherever--but led the organization to believe that he would resign if the offer was competitive.

Neither you, nor I, nor them, have any clue if that's true, false, or somewhere in between--and it really doesn't affect "our" team either way.

Let's let this go, shall we?

Old
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Lost in all the euphoria about not over-spending--best of luck, Matt. The kid always seemed to play hard, and he's earned (most of) that payday.
He had flaws in his game but the Twitter he sent after one of the west coast games thanking Flyers' fans for staying up late on a week night spoke highly of his character. Many athletes wouldn't care or be aware.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Man, we really are putting all of our eggs in the Luke Schenn basket, huh? This is just getting ugly...

Old
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Flyerfan4life

YES YES YES !!!!

Carle is gone..

OMG what a great day for Flyerdom..

i pity the Lightning thou, actualy no i dont..if you cant do your research then you deserve what you get. 6M for a puck cougher...hahha nice signing.. NOT !!!

im seriously elated to have Carle gone... no more bone head pass' from him come the GDT threads now. cept those he now feeds to us, hahaahh

Old
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
And yet during the season on GDT's, Carle is public enemy #1 when he consistently turns the puck over. Now everyone is upset he's going!?

Not everyone is upset. Flyers fans are not unanimous in their views. Not everyone feels the same way about Matt Carle.

When Carle makes a blunder during a game, the people who don't like Carle will be vocal about him.

When Carle leaves in free agency, the people that like him say he will be missed (and vice versa).

And some people will be in the middle.

That shouldn't come as a surprise.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
BringBackStevens

I hated Carle as a player, but I will say he seemed to be a very good person. I do wish him luck in that regard

That said, finally I like something Holmgren did. It would have been easy for him to match that based on the way this offseason has gone so far.

Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh he got paid more than what he is worth and it isnt with us. Ya we now need a defender but if we paid that i would bot have been happy.

Old
Icedog2735

So are we done except for possibly adding another forward to replace Jagr and signing Voracek?

Old
07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Not everyone is upset. Flyers fans are not unanimous in their views. Not everyone feels the same way about Matt Carle.

When Carle makes a blunder during a game, the people who don't like Carle will be vocal about him.

When Carle leaves in free agency, the people that like him say he will be missed (and vice versa).

And some people will be in the middle.

That shouldn't come as a surprise.
Definitely understood ... obviously the more pro-Carle posters will come out now.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I hated Carle as a player, but I will say he seemed to be a very good person. I do wish him luck in that regard.
Came to say just this. As a player, he just didn't do it for me, but he seemed like a good character guy who just minded his business and took weak wrist shots.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
He gonnnnnnnne! Good luck to you Matt in TB.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
So are we done except for possibly adding another forward to replace Jagr and signing Voracek?
Seriously doubt we're done. As much as it terrifies me, I think it's reasonable to suspect we'll see a trade made over the next couple of weeks.

It's entirely possible that we see a completely unexpected player moved (like Meszaros was when we acquired him).

Old
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
You guys better hope Schenn figures out that 'first pass out of the zone' problem that got him benched in Toronto.

Flyers let a Top 50 defenseman walk away, so be careful what you wish for. Easily matchable for Holmgren.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's still a big hole in the D. That's almost 25 minutes a night and 40 points a season to replace. There's nobody available who can put up those numbers that can be acquired. Now I'm worried Holmgren's going to do something dumb. He just needs to relax, take in a deep breath, and not act irrationally. Don't bother making a trade for Weber because they don't have the parts. It's time to call Phoenix and see what it will take to acquire a guy like Chris Summers or Maxim Goncharov or maybe it's time to look at a guy like Carlo Colaiacovo (he still averages 19 minutes a night of ice time). Anyways, the important thing is that Holmgren must not panic.
Wow. I remember him at the 09 WJC's. Guy was unbelievable. 6'4 with skill and a bomb of a shot. Game hasn't quite transferred over the the NA game it looks like despite good numbers in the KHL. He's probably at the bottom of the barrel over there with the depth they have on the backend. Would love to take a chance on him.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Not sure I would have wanted him back at that price, but the Flyers now need another good first pass defenseman.

Lost in the talk of turnovers was the fact that Carle was second behind Kimmo in moving the puck forward from the back. Luke Schenn doesn't replace that.

07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I'm glad that we didn't shell out for someone while he was a positive for the team was not worth that investment. This is the first time Holmgren has really shown restraint.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

He isn't worth that kind of money. Anothergood non signing

Old
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
qwertysac

Alot of people celebrating Carle signing elsewhere don't seem the realize the huge hole this leaves in our Defense now. And we don't exactly have a second JVR to trade for another DMan

Old
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
FlyersFan61290

“@BroadStBull: Agreed. RT @cpimpact: @BroadStBull So, Schenn and Gervais in; JVR, Jagr and Carle out. *Not good so far.”

“@sbaickerCSN: So far this offseason, the Flyers have gotten smaller on offense, weaker on defense and brought back Michael Leighton to backup in net...”

With the cap space there is no way Paul doesn't make a significan signing/trade but as of right now when summed up like that it looks pretty bad.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You guys better hope Schenn figures out that 'first pass out of the zone' problem that got him benched in Toronto.

Flyers let a Top 50 defenseman walk away, so be careful what you wish for. Easily matchable for Holmgren.
I guess alot of gms didnt think this top 50 defender was worth it, including homer.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Alot of people celebrating Carle signing elsewhere don't seem the realize the huge hole this leaves in our Defense now. And we don't exactly have a second JVR to trade for another DMan
I think most reasonable people understand that it leaves a hole, but at the end of the day, the contract that Matt got simply wouldn't have been good cap management for a cap team like the Flyers. I'd rather have a tougher time in 2012-2013 than carry that cap hit for the next 6 years. That's all it comes down to.

Closed Thread