HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
That team is IMO just as good as last years, if not better.
Not even close- no Pronger, no Bobrovski, who's a better back-up than Leighton but just needed some more seasoning; Flyers sure don't show much patience with goal-tenders.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

Lol anyone following Manayunk Mike can pretty much just unfollow him right now and never listen to a word he says.... He already deleted the damn tweet but he put up that Phoenix doesn't want to lose Doan for nothing and will try to trade his rights.... If you're going to be a "insider" at least have some knowledge of free agency . He has 93000 followers also, absolutely amazing.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
lancer247

I would be happy as most with a few minor signings and seeing how the young guys progress until the deadline.

D - Hannan or Roszival

F - Winnik or Fedetenko

Old
07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I think people are exagerrating the "Lavy System" problems. I don't have a problem with D men pinching to keep puck possession in the Offensive zone. It just means the forwards have to rotate back.

I think it is more of a need for the forwards to get better/more experience and jelling with the D.

The forwards need to do a better job of coming back through the center of the ice. So many times last season they would bust it getting back but would be all over the place with the coverage. I can't remamber the last time a saw a team scored on so many times from cross ice passes right through the box. People killed Bryz for letting in leaky goals but the guy was always leaning trying to hedge his bet.
It's not just about pinching though...a good first pass helps on the breakout which is critical to Lavi's system but you need some good skaters as well. We have some lumbering D men and NJ smothered us as a result. We couldn't breakout to save our lives....

Old
07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Lol anyone following Manayunk Mike can pretty much just unfollow him right now and never listen to a word he says.... He already deleted the damn tweet but he put up that Phoenix doesn't want to lose Doan for nothing and will try to trade his rights.... If you're going to be a "insider" at least have some knowledge of free agency . He has 93000 followers also, absolutely amazing.
Ha ha...and we thought our "Insiders" were bad...

Old
07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
schroed3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
We're talking about Voracek in the context of acquiring Nick Leddy who is a puck-handling defenseman. I would think that that aspect of Voracek's game would be largely offset by having another playmaker on the back end.
Bill Meltzer reported that Hawks possibly shopping Leddy and Hjalmerson (sp). Is it worth a look?

Old
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed3r View Post
Bill Meltzer reported that Hawks possibly shopping Leddy and Hjalmerson (sp). Is it worth a look?
I would say so....

Old
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Not even close- no Pronger, no Bobrovski, who's a better back-up than Leighton but just needed some more seasoning; Flyers sure don't show much patience with goal-tenders.
Uhh, Pronger basically wasn't there last year either, and Bob was worse than Leighton has ever been as a backup (statistically).

Old
07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Jeh82 I think was already beating around with this. He said Read+ I think, and some other people said Voracek? It's very difficult to gauge interest in players anymore. Everyone on this damn website wants a fortune for any prospect or young roster player. You can't get a fair estimation usually of what their value truly is.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have an answer on that one. If we go into the season with the team as it is now, we are looking at another year of disapointment.
That's the whole thing, I can't see any move the Flyers can realistically make that gets them closer to a Stanley Cup. With that in mind I'm completely comfortable with a couple of depth signings and continuing to let Schenn and Couturier develop.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
This is true but as things stand now don't expect too much more than what we got last year..actually this year we might have to fight for a playoff seeding which a lot of us thought might happen last year b/c of all the turnover..I feel bad for Timonen.
However, still plenty of time not to panic...there might be some camp surprises and other moves before and during the season. However, I do agree that next year if they don't panic they are setting themselves up well....we'll see.
I agree - if certain players do not improve on last season (I actually expect several to take a step back), the team will be on the playoff bubble. But, still, I think that the team will set itself up for being a bigger contender in the future if they stand pat now. What good is it to finish 4th or 5th in the conference and lose in the first or second round with a team that CANNOT improve due to no cap space? We would become the team that the Flyers have been more or less for the past 15 years, that is, a team that is always good, always competitive, and never wins the Cup. I'm tired of being that team, and I see overpaying for players as a way to REMAIN as that team.

If the Flyers missed the playoffs but set themselves up for a bigger more legitimate push in the future, I'd be fine with that.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That's the whole thing, I can't see any move the Flyers can realistically make that gets them closer to a Stanley Cup. With that in mind I'm completely comfortable with a couple of depth signings and continuing to let Schenn and Couturier develop.
I agree completely. Let the young players improve and get experience.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
And this is what it's coming down to...we could have addressed some holes by losing one of them most likely but most of us did not want that..including the GM and owner it seems. I'm ok with trying to slog through this year somehow....so that next year we really get the ball rolling. Just going to be a tough year IMO with some controversy but depends on what happens between now and the start of the season and then during the season. Key again is to take a measured approach but it's hard in this city...

Old
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I know it's been mentioned, but I wanted to bring it up again -- the Flyers really need to do something about getting a PP-QB dman. We're only guaranteed to have Kimmo one more season, and nobody on the roster other than him fulfills that role. That's a tough spot to be in for a team that has relied heavily on their PP in recent years, and another reason why someone like Leddy could make sense.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
And this is what it's coming down to...we could have addressed some holes by losing one of them most likely but most of us did not want that..including the GM and owner it seems. I'm ok with trying to slog through this year somehow....so that next year we really get the ball rolling. Just going to be a tough year IMO with some controversy but depends on what happens between now and the start of the season and then during the season. Key again is to take a measured approach but it's hard in this city...
I'm confident this team still makes the playoffs as assembled right now (barring any significant injuries to key players, of course). But hypothetically speaking, if the Flyers are out of it near the deadline, do they try and deal Timonen? I think Briere would look pretty tempting to a couple teams too because of his playoff success. I know they both have NTC's, but I have to imagine that Timonen would be more than willing to go to a contender (if not asking for it) if the Flyers are out of it, considering it is the last year of his deal. Briere I could see being more reluctant though. Wayyyyy too far off to be speculating about this stuff I know (and I don't think they'll be out of it by the deadline), but still something to think about.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'm all for a Wolski experiment. He put up decent numbers in Colorado, enough to warrant a small one year paycheck for sure.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm confident this team still makes the playoffs as assembled right now (barring any significant injuries to key players, of course). But hypothetically speaking, if the Flyers are out of it near the deadline, do they try and deal Timonen? I think Briere would look pretty tempting to a couple teams too because of his playoff success. I know they both have NTC's, but I have to imagine that Timonen would be more than willing to go to a contender (if not asking for it) if the Flyers are out of it, considering it is the last year of his deal. Briere I could see being more reluctant though. Wayyyyy too far off to be speculating about this stuff I know (and I don't think they'll be out of it by the deadline), but still something to think about.
You know....that is a good point. The way the Flyers are currently built..no chance at a Cup unless all sorts of planets align. Players like Briere and Timonen could definitely waive their clauses for a chance at the cup (going to a contender). Move them and then we'll show Pitt how to dump salary and get big time players....

Old
07-05-2012, 12:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
You know....that is a good point. The way the Flyers are currently built..no chance at a Cup unless all sorts of planets align. Players like Briere and Timonen could definitely waive their clauses for a chance at the cup (going to a contender). Move them and then we'll show Pitt how to dump salary and get big time players....
I think they have a shot to be contenders in the East if Bryz gets hot in the playoffs and Mez goes back to the Mez in Ottawa and everyone plays the way they are supposed to. That never happens really, but I think they could be contenders if it does.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think they have a shot to be contenders in the East if Bryz gets hot in the playoffs and Mez goes back to the Mez in Ottawa and everyone plays the way they are supposed to. That never happens really, but I think they could be contenders if it does.
Sure they can be contenders but it's unlikely right now that they will get too far. A playoff birth this year is going to be much tougher IMO however....

Def if for some disastrous reason they don't make it to the playoffs the option of moving Timonen and Briere at the deadline (being sellers) should be pursued with vigor.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
BernieParent

One huge advantage of having cap flexibility is that personnel moves can be made on a purely hockey level. They could send Lilja to Adirondack, use Gervais (assuming he is signed) or Gustaffson as 7th Dman and rotate them heavily. Mandate Timonen to sit out a few games.

I'm good with starting the season with the following defensive pairings:
Coburn – Grossmann
Timonen – Schenn
Meszaros – Bourdon / Gustaffson

Old
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
We had a half-Pronger for abit of last year, and Bob may wind up being a great goalie, but he was bad as a back-up. Just plain bad. Leighton is much better suited to a back-up role IMO. I guess only time will tell though.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Carle is re-signing with us. The only thing holding it up is tagging space. If the Flyers wanted to do something before July 1st, they could.......

Oh wait

Old
07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Carle gets overrated. Advanced statistics indicate that the offense was less effective overall when he was on the ice than pretty much all other defensemen. His numbers were accumulated due to sheer amount of ice time and playing with the 2nd ranked offense. His complete lack of shot makes him very one dimensional, so he's easy to defense against.

07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
One huge advantage of having cap flexibility is that personnel moves can be made on a purely hockey level. They could send Lilja to Adirondack, use Gervais (assuming he is signed) or Gustaffson as 7th Dman and rotate them heavily. Mandate Timonen to sit out a few games.

I'm good with starting the season with the following defensive pairings:
Coburn – Grossmann
Timonen – Schenn
Meszaros – Bourdon / Gustaffson
there is no reason to send Lilja to the AHL since we carry his cap hit no matter what (unless we need a roster spot). The guys a well-liked vet and his presense around the team is good in itself

Old
07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Fedetenko? I like it oh, yeah and that Gervais thing is official now as well!

Closed Thread