HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART IV)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
  #776
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Jim Cerny‏@JimCerny

you take what you can get! RT @TheWetBandits19: @JimCerny I like how Stu Bickel fishing is the biggest news you have to report today.

2m Jim Cerny‏@JimCerny

just off the phone with @NYR @StuBickel who is enjoying new 2-year deal, training for next season, and fishing in Minnesota this summer!
haha

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  #777
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Steve Sullivan....would he be a good option for the Rangers??? Would help the powerplay but is 38 and still produces...
I think so. Always liked him.

Steve, like all of us, is probably just waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

GWOW is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
  #778
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
What happened today for those Portzline tweets to be tweeted? Someone told him that stuff for a reason.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
  #779
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What happened today for those Portzline tweets to be tweeted? Someone told him that stuff for a reason.
Howson came off his meds? Nash told Howson he wanted New York? He just felt like posting bogus info?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
  #780
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Maybe Columbus wants Ryan Callahan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Howson backing off through Potrzline.
is Howson floating that info to gauge fan reaction if Nash doesn't return Stepan, Kreider or McD? His can is in a sling right now, he needs to have the fans' approval if he hopes to keep his job. I think he's fired the day Nash is traded so the next GM has a fresh slate, but Howson isn't savvy enough to know that.

Sorry I don't remember who said it already, but I'm hoping that Miller has been pulled from the offer because of his camp. And yes, I do hold up the Nash trade over Miller. He's going to be essential to fitting Nash, Lundqvist, Gaborik, McD, Staal and Girardi under the cap in 2 seasons.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
  #781
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,748
vCash: 500
Portzline is trying to start a bidding war for Nash. The demands have been lowered? More teams might be in a on Nash because he opens his list? All of this is to try and get Sather to blink and give Howson what he wants.

Think about it. Nash might have a bigger list mid July? That'll bring more teams into the mix and possibly start a bidding war between Sather and whoever.

The lowering of demand is an attempt by Portzline to get more teams thinking they should call Howson and see what they want from their team.

Right now, it's the Rangers, Rangers, and Rangers involved in Nash talks.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
  #782
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 500
It really is amazing how the entire market is basically at a stand-still because 1 guy can't make up his mind about where he wants to make $100million over the next 12 years of his life.

silverfish is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
  #783
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
True, but Sundin was involved in trade rumors as early as 2007, then he refused to waive his NTC, then he became a UFA, then he retired, then he magically signed with Vancouver in the middle of the 2008-09 season.

It was his refusal to waive an NTC to help out the Leafs simply because he didnt want to be a rental.
Wrong. I know the guy personally
You are way off target here...

BBKers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
  #784
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Let me know what kids are ready, I'd love to hear this one.
Maybe none? Maybe the Stepan's ,Hag's, Kreider's mature in their game? I'm not sure what you want to hear?

I am not saying that I believe the team is ready to win the SC. However, It's possible they can. It's just not a bet I would make.

My answer to the question was ... Doing nothing is an alternative that is less likely to hurt Sather's legacy. He should be leaving a relatively young competitive team. Is that so bad? In the meantime maybe they pick up a player now or at the next deadline. Cosmetics? maybe a year end rental? That's how I believe the team will proceed.

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
  #785
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
And we should go about getting said offense by possibly sacrificing the commitment to defensive depth, character players, and youth that is making us successful in the first place?
the post I was responding to asked "why a move needed to be made this offseason. I responded, but not with the scenario you proposed. It doesn't have to come to that. Nice try though

NikC is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
  #786
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Portzline is trying to start a bidding war for Nash. The demands have been lowered? More teams might be in a on Nash because he opens his list? All of this is to try and get Sather to blink and give Howson what he wants.

Think about it. Nash might have a bigger list mid July? That'll bring more teams into the mix and possibly start a bidding war between Sather and whoever.

The lowering of demand is an attempt by Portzline to get more teams thinking they should call Howson and see what they want from their team.

Right now, it's the Rangers, Rangers, and Rangers involved in Nash talks.
Spot on man. Spot on.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  #787
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Detroit Free Press ‏@freepwings

#RedWings initial offer to D Ryan Suter was $80M 13 years, now up to $90 M. Team wants to keep cap # reasonable - preferably under $7 M.
NHL players should start a bank. God knows they have the means. Only loan out to hockeyfans/season ticket holders...

BBKers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
  #788
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Wrong. I know the guy personally
You are way off target here...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...172751767.html

Quote:
"I just don't think I can go to another team if I don't want to play for another team."
Since you're so close, maybe he can tell you about the Libel suit he has with the hundreds of news outlets who used the quote.

GWOW is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
  #789
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
NHL players should start a bank. God knows they have the means. Only loan out to hockeyfans/season ticket holders...
Did you mean loan out to hockey fans to pay for their season tickets? LOL

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
  #790
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Portzline is trying to start a bidding war for Nash. The demands have been lowered? More teams might be in a on Nash because he opens his list? All of this is to try and get Sather to blink and give Howson what he wants.

Think about it. Nash might have a bigger list mid July? That'll bring more teams into the mix and possibly start a bidding war between Sather and whoever.

The lowering of demand is an attempt by Portzline to get more teams thinking they should call Howson and see what they want from their team.

Right now, it's the Rangers, Rangers, and Rangers involved in Nash talks.
agreed. If Howson is so suddenly flexible, why didn't he just bite on the deal we offered @ trade deadline? He doesn't like what we're offering him, plain and simple. he wants a young Rick Nash.

NikC is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
  #791
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames
#RedWings still have offer out to UFA F Zach Parise, but if can't get him, will go hard after UFA F Shane Doan July 9.
Watch Suter and Doan wind up as Wings

BBKers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  #792
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Watch Suter and Doan wind up as Wings
I could see that, I don't see anyway Doan comes east.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  #793
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,709
vCash: 50
At this point, Sather should just tell Howson to go **** himself. I'm sick of going back and forth with the ideas of trading all these players. It's like we are stuck in limbo.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
  #794
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,199
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
At this point, Sather should just tell Howson to go **** himself. I'm sick of going back and forth with the ideas of trading all these players. It's like we are stuck in limbo.
I am positive that he already has. Multiple times. Hasn't gotten us far, though. Sather is the guy who wouldn't cough up more than Rozsival+Zherdev for Heatley, if we remember.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
  #795
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Maybe none? Maybe the Stepan's ,Hag's, Kreider's mature in their game? I'm not sure what you want to hear?

I am not saying that I believe the team is ready to win the SC. However, It's possible they can. It's just not a bet I would make.

My answer to the question was ... Doing nothing is an alternative that is less likely to hurt Sather's legacy. He should be leaving a relatively young competitive team. Is that so bad? In the meantime maybe they pick up a player now or at the next deadline. Cosmetics? maybe a year end rental? That's how I believe the team will proceed.
I dont want to hear generic phrases like "play the kids" or "stay the course" because they mean next to nothing these days.

The only "kid" that could potentially be ready is Tim Erixon and even hes no sure thing. Far too often, the mere notion of signing a veteran has been some dirty idea that takes the Rangers away from some master plan they've instilled, when - in reality, theres little to no understanding of how this team was built in the first place.

There were a few years there where they did develop and play the kids. It created a nice foundation. But, even still the Gaborik/Richards signings and Tortorella's motivating have been just as important (if not moreso) to the evolution of this team.

So, my point is, there is not real "stay the course" - and if you think "stay the course" means "playing the kids" then youre either going to run into redundancy or kids that just aren't ready for the job.

The team took a huge step last year - it played greater than the sum of their parts. Creativity and talent up front is a glaring hole. I'd like to see them fill it and take the next step - not be complacent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  #796
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
agreed. If Howson is so suddenly flexible, why didn't he just bite on the deal we offered @ trade deadline? He doesn't like what we're offering him, plain and simple. he wants a young Rick Nash.
Right now : would you be willing give up Dubi, Exrixson, Miller and a 1st for Nash?

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  #797
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
For that offer, he might send you his Back up goalie.
Well duh, thats obviously fair. Goalies are hard to come by, so of course you had to add your starting vezina goaltender, as well as 2 forwards.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  #798
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont want to hear generic phrases like "play the kids" or "stay the course" because they mean next to nothing these days.

The only "kid" that could potentially be ready is Tim Erixon and even hes no sure thing. Far too often, the mere notion of signing a veteran has been some dirty idea that takes the Rangers away from some master plan they've instilled, when - in reality, theres little to no understanding of how this team was built in the first place.

There were a few years there where they did develop and play the kids. It created a nice foundation. But, even still the Gaborik/Richards signings and Tortorella's motivating have been just as important (if not moreso) to the evolution of this team.

So, my point is, there is not real "stay the course" - and if you think "stay the course" means "playing the kids" then youre either going to run into redundancy or kids that just aren't ready for the job.

The team took a huge step last year - it played greater than the sum of their parts. Creativity and talent up front is a glaring hole. I'd like to see them fill it and take the next step - not be complacent.
I respect your view.

I assume you understand that I never indicated what I would do so...????

I was only speaking as to what I thought Sather was likely to do.

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:14 PM
  #799
NYR27
Registered User
 
NYR27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Right now : would you be willing give up Dubi, Exrixson, Miller and a 1st for Nash?
Nope...3 of those...not all 4 though

NYR27 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
  #800
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Well duh, thats obviously far. a goalie for a goalie, a forward for a forward, and a throw in like gaborik. Whats not to like?
I said might.

He may ask for an additional draft choice for giving up his back up?

ltrangerfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.