HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Jim Cerny‏@JimCerny

you take what you can get! RT @TheWetBandits19: @JimCerny I like how Stu Bickel fishing is the biggest news you have to report today.

2m Jim Cerny‏@JimCerny

just off the phone with @NYR @StuBickel who is enjoying new 2-year deal, training for next season, and fishing in Minnesota this summer!
haha

Old
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Steve Sullivan....would he be a good option for the Rangers??? Would help the powerplay but is 38 and still produces...
I think so. Always liked him.

Steve, like all of us, is probably just waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

What happened today for those Portzline tweets to be tweeted? Someone told him that stuff for a reason.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What happened today for those Portzline tweets to be tweeted? Someone told him that stuff for a reason.
Howson came off his meds? Nash told Howson he wanted New York? He just felt like posting bogus info?

Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Maybe Columbus wants Ryan Callahan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Howson backing off through Potrzline.
is Howson floating that info to gauge fan reaction if Nash doesn't return Stepan, Kreider or McD? His can is in a sling right now, he needs to have the fans' approval if he hopes to keep his job. I think he's fired the day Nash is traded so the next GM has a fresh slate, but Howson isn't savvy enough to know that.

Sorry I don't remember who said it already, but I'm hoping that Miller has been pulled from the offer because of his camp. And yes, I do hold up the Nash trade over Miller. He's going to be essential to fitting Nash, Lundqvist, Gaborik, McD, Staal and Girardi under the cap in 2 seasons.

Old
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go

Portzline is trying to start a bidding war for Nash. The demands have been lowered? More teams might be in a on Nash because he opens his list? All of this is to try and get Sather to blink and give Howson what he wants.

Think about it. Nash might have a bigger list mid July? That'll bring more teams into the mix and possibly start a bidding war between Sather and whoever.

The lowering of demand is an attempt by Portzline to get more teams thinking they should call Howson and see what they want from their team.

Right now, it's the Rangers, Rangers, and Rangers involved in Nash talks.

Old
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

It really is amazing how the entire market is basically at a stand-still because 1 guy can't make up his mind about where he wants to make $100million over the next 12 years of his life.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
True, but Sundin was involved in trade rumors as early as 2007, then he refused to waive his NTC, then he became a UFA, then he retired, then he magically signed with Vancouver in the middle of the 2008-09 season.

It was his refusal to waive an NTC to help out the Leafs simply because he didnt want to be a rental.
Wrong. I know the guy personally
You are way off target here...

Old
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Let me know what kids are ready, I'd love to hear this one.
Maybe none? Maybe the Stepan's ,Hag's, Kreider's mature in their game? I'm not sure what you want to hear?

I am not saying that I believe the team is ready to win the SC. However, It's possible they can. It's just not a bet I would make.

My answer to the question was ... Doing nothing is an alternative that is less likely to hurt Sather's legacy. He should be leaving a relatively young competitive team. Is that so bad? In the meantime maybe they pick up a player now or at the next deadline. Cosmetics? maybe a year end rental? That's how I believe the team will proceed.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
And we should go about getting said offense by possibly sacrificing the commitment to defensive depth, character players, and youth that is making us successful in the first place?
the post I was responding to asked "why a move needed to be made this offseason. I responded, but not with the scenario you proposed. It doesn't have to come to that. Nice try though

Old
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Portzline is trying to start a bidding war for Nash. The demands have been lowered? More teams might be in a on Nash because he opens his list? All of this is to try and get Sather to blink and give Howson what he wants.

Think about it. Nash might have a bigger list mid July? That'll bring more teams into the mix and possibly start a bidding war between Sather and whoever.

The lowering of demand is an attempt by Portzline to get more teams thinking they should call Howson and see what they want from their team.

Spot on man. Spot on.

07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Detroit Free Press ‏@freepwings

#RedWings initial offer to D Ryan Suter was $80M 13 years, now up to $90 M. Team wants to keep cap # reasonable - preferably under $7 M.
NHL players should start a bank. God knows they have the means. Only loan out to hockeyfans/season ticket holders...

Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Wrong. I know the guy personally
You are way off target here...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...172751767.html

Quote:
"I just don't think I can go to another team if I don't want to play for another team."
Since you're so close, maybe he can tell you about the Libel suit he has with the hundreds of news outlets who used the quote.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
NHL players should start a bank. God knows they have the means. Only loan out to hockeyfans/season ticket holders...
Did you mean loan out to hockey fans to pay for their season tickets? LOL

Old
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

agreed. If Howson is so suddenly flexible, why didn't he just bite on the deal we offered @ trade deadline? He doesn't like what we're offering him, plain and simple. he wants a young Rick Nash.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames
#RedWings still have offer out to UFA F Zach Parise, but if can't get him, will go hard after UFA F Shane Doan July 9.
Watch Suter and Doan wind up as Wings

Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Watch Suter and Doan wind up as Wings
I could see that, I don't see anyway Doan comes east.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

At this point, Sather should just tell Howson to go **** himself. I'm sick of going back and forth with the ideas of trading all these players. It's like we are stuck in limbo.

07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
At this point, Sather should just tell Howson to go **** himself. I'm sick of going back and forth with the ideas of trading all these players. It's like we are stuck in limbo.
I am positive that he already has. Multiple times. Hasn't gotten us far, though. Sather is the guy who wouldn't cough up more than Rozsival+Zherdev for Heatley, if we remember.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Maybe none? Maybe the Stepan's ,Hag's, Kreider's mature in their game? I'm not sure what you want to hear?

I am not saying that I believe the team is ready to win the SC. However, It's possible they can. It's just not a bet I would make.

My answer to the question was ... Doing nothing is an alternative that is less likely to hurt Sather's legacy. He should be leaving a relatively young competitive team. Is that so bad? In the meantime maybe they pick up a player now or at the next deadline. Cosmetics? maybe a year end rental? That's how I believe the team will proceed.
I dont want to hear generic phrases like "play the kids" or "stay the course" because they mean next to nothing these days.

The only "kid" that could potentially be ready is Tim Erixon and even hes no sure thing. Far too often, the mere notion of signing a veteran has been some dirty idea that takes the Rangers away from some master plan they've instilled, when - in reality, theres little to no understanding of how this team was built in the first place.

There were a few years there where they did develop and play the kids. It created a nice foundation. But, even still the Gaborik/Richards signings and Tortorella's motivating have been just as important (if not moreso) to the evolution of this team.

So, my point is, there is not real "stay the course" - and if you think "stay the course" means "playing the kids" then youre either going to run into redundancy or kids that just aren't ready for the job.

The team took a huge step last year - it played greater than the sum of their parts. Creativity and talent up front is a glaring hole. I'd like to see them fill it and take the next step - not be complacent.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
agreed. If Howson is so suddenly flexible, why didn't he just bite on the deal we offered @ trade deadline? He doesn't like what we're offering him, plain and simple. he wants a young Rick Nash.
Right now : would you be willing give up Dubi, Exrixson, Miller and a 1st for Nash?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
For that offer, he might send you his Back up goalie.
Well duh, thats obviously fair. Goalies are hard to come by, so of course you had to add your starting vezina goaltender, as well as 2 forwards.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont want to hear generic phrases like "play the kids" or "stay the course" because they mean next to nothing these days.

The only "kid" that could potentially be ready is Tim Erixon and even hes no sure thing. Far too often, the mere notion of signing a veteran has been some dirty idea that takes the Rangers away from some master plan they've instilled, when - in reality, theres little to no understanding of how this team was built in the first place.

There were a few years there where they did develop and play the kids. It created a nice foundation. But, even still the Gaborik/Richards signings and Tortorella's motivating have been just as important (if not moreso) to the evolution of this team.

So, my point is, there is not real "stay the course" - and if you think "stay the course" means "playing the kids" then youre either going to run into redundancy or kids that just aren't ready for the job.

The team took a huge step last year - it played greater than the sum of their parts. Creativity and talent up front is a glaring hole. I'd like to see them fill it and take the next step - not be complacent.
I respect your view.

I assume you understand that I never indicated what I would do so...????

I was only speaking as to what I thought Sather was likely to do.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:14 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Right now : would you be willing give up Dubi, Exrixson, Miller and a 1st for Nash?
Nope...3 of those...not all 4 though

Old
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Well duh, thats obviously far. a goalie for a goalie, a forward for a forward, and a throw in like gaborik. Whats not to like?
I said might.

He may ask for an additional draft choice for giving up his back up?

Closed Thread