HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part V: We're Comfortable With Our Defense

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
If McBain were playing in the top 4, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But in terms of defensive responsibilities, he is behind Pitkanen, Gleason, Harrison, Faulk, and possibly Corvo going into the season. He is #5 at best in terms of the competition he will be facing.

Defensively, he has the tiniest shoes to fill, because the coaching staff doesn't seem to have much faith in him in the dzone. So being the better defensive player isn't a huge deal, since the position will be facing mostly 3rd and 4th lines, or starting in the offensive zone.
I understand your point, I just don't see why we can't have both, and play Murphy as the 7th d-man (which we are going to do IMO).

Both are very promising young D-men, and personally, with an offseason and conditioning camp not marred by rehabilitating shoulder surgery (which is rarely mentioned), I think McBain will surprise people next year.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I'd rather have Semin than Joni with our current roster.
You would rather have a worse team?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Novacane

I was all for signing Semin to a bloated multi year deal. But that was before Gauthier was fired.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
La Huracanista

I think McBain's fate depends entirely on the training camp/preseason performance of Ryan Murphy (and maybe a distant chance for Sanguinetti). We'll move him during the season if he blocks Murphy's spot on the third pairing.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Adding Semin would be huge. That's 4 impact players in our top 6.

But unless we throw something stupid at him, he probably won't come here. He hardly speaks English, and we don't have any Russian players on our team.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
You would rather have a worse team?
We'd be better. We have plenty of PMD. We have no matured elite scoring snipers.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
We'd be better. We have plenty of PMD. We have no matured elite scoring snipers.
None of those PMD are as good or can play as much as Pitkanen. Do you have any idea how many goals they would give up with one of Murphy/McBain/Corvo on the ice at all times?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
wallym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
I understand your point, I just don't see why we can't have both, and play Murphy as the 7th d-man (which we are going to do IMO).

Both are very promising young D-men, and personally, with an offseason and conditioning camp not marred by rehabilitating shoulder surgery (which is rarely mentioned), I think McBain will surprise people next year.
I like having both.

But if we can make a play for a bigtime trade, having McBain eases the blow of losing Murphy, so I'd be willing to consider trading Murphy.

And for a 'medium' trade, having Murphy eases the blow of losing McBain. So I'd be willing to consider that too.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
I like having both.

But if we can make a play for a bigtime trade, having McBain eases the blow of losing Murphy, so I'd be willing to consider trading Murphy.

And for a 'medium' trade, having Murphy eases the blow of losing McBain. So I'd be willing to consider that too.
Ah, I understand.

I don't necessarily agree with the either part- Murphy has a much better skillset than McBain, and McBain is at a level where, if we played Murphy in his position, would take Murphy some time to reach defensively. But in the grand scheme of things I agree.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I was all for signing Semin to a bloated multi year deal. But that was before Gauthier was fired.
Exactly. Think about how difficult it was for JR to move Kaberle. We couldn't get rid of him, even offering to take other pieces that teams wanted to get rid of. We got lucky that Montreal grabbed him (I believe a quote at the time was "some other GMs were 'shocked' Rutherford was able to get rid of him).

Now take Kaberle, add 3 million to his salary, and add the flight risk to Russia. How easy will it be to move him then?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about that. Defensively Joni's our 2nd best dman behind only sober Gleason. We could certainly use another high end offensive player but we're already one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Giving up one of the few players who's competent defensively, is effective in getting the puck up the ice, and who generally puts up a good PPG as well, would be shooting ourselves in the foot. When you try to win games 5-4 you usually are on the wrong end of that score unless you have overwhelming depth, we don't.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Sign Semin, give him what he wants (4 year term max, though), and call it a year.

Sure the defense would suck....

But...

Staal/Staal/Semin
Skinner/Jokinen/Ruutu
Tlusty/Welsh/LaRose
Nodl/Brent/Stewart

That's the best forward group this team has iced since at least the cup year, maybe longer.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
"Hmm...Rutherford just signed a guy with supposed character issues to a multi-year deal and now he's trying to trade him before the end of the first year. I wonder what that's all about. "
"I think I'll trade him Jaro Spacek on a one-year deal."

Old
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
"I think I'll trade him Jaro Spacek on a one-year deal."
Hopefully, JR learned his lesson. But hey, if he signs Semin, he can use the same sound bite he used for Kaberle: "I should have known better".

Old
07-06-2012, 02:39 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
The thought these guys can't coexist is ridiculous. If we had rough and tumble types they were competing with at least would warrant a discussion about having too many of one type.
Yes, it's high time the Caps got rid or Green or Carlson. What were they thinking?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Hopefully, JR learned his lesson. But hey, if he signs Semin, he can use the same sound bite he used for Kaberle: "I should have known better".
I don't get the comparison at all. Kaberle was rumored to have issues AND his numbers sucked. Semin is rumored to have issues, and all he does is score at a higher rate than either Zach Parise or Rick Nash.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Mike Smith is doing a Q&A again:

- Doesn't seem to want to answer the Semin question directly. When asked about the chances the Canes sign Semin or how seriously they're considering it, he responded both times with "I'm not sold on him" or "I'm not a fan". Make of that what you will.

- Canes could re-enter the Nash sweepstakes if Columbus lowers the price. But he says any deal revolving around Skinner or Faulk is dead from the start.

- The current hangup in CBA talks are the owners want a 50/50 split in revenue. The players aren't as enthusiastic.

- It's early, but the 3rd line could be Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Oh dear god that 3rd line won't score 15 goals COMBINED.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I don't get the comparison at all. Kaberle was rumored to have issues AND his numbers sucked. Semin is rumored to have issues, and all he does is score at a higher rate than either Zach Parise or Rick Nash.
I see someone else saw the post in the Semin thread. I agree.

Quote:

That places one of Tlusty or LaRose on the 4th line.

Either "it's about time" or "WTF?!?" is appropriate.

I'm still holding out hope that we get Semin/Nash so we can run:

Nash/Semin-Staal-Tlusty
Skinner-Staal-LaRose
Jokinen-Welsh-Ruutu
Stewart-Brent-Dwyer
Nodl

Old
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Wolfpuck
Not Quite My Tempo

Quote:
Mike Smith is doing a Q&A again:

- Doesn't seem to want to answer the Semin question directly. When asked about the chances the Canes sign Semin or how seriously they're considering it, he responded both times with "I'm not sold on him" or "I'm not a fan". Make of that what you will.

- Canes could re-enter the Nash sweepstakes if Columbus lowers the price. But he says any deal revolving around Skinner or Faulk is dead from the start.

- The current hangup in CBA talks are the owners want a 50/50 split in revenue. The players aren't as enthusiastic.

Sooooo, is LaRose on the 1st line or 4th line?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Novacane

Yeah, I can't see LaRose or Tlusty not being on the 3rd line. Even if one is on the 1st/2nd line, you still have one of them available there.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

You don't need the third line to score as long as they are effective at something else. See Stoll, Lewis, and King with SC rings

Old
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

You know even if LaRose starts the season on the lower lines, he'll still end up playing a good portion of the season in the Top 6.

Some more from Mike:

- When asked about whether the Canes have any more free agents they're after or are they looking for trades, he said to bet on trades.

- In accordance with JR, the defense is set.

- The Canes could sign a forward after the CBA rather than trade/sign a forward now.

- The Canes aren't interested in another center. They're going after a winger.

And he hasn't gotten to my Wellwood question yet.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer sounds more like the 4th line if that happens, which means Slutty/Bowman-Brent-LaRose/Stewart as a 3rd line, depending on which of the two are in the top 6.

My bet on a stat line for Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer:
Nodl: 6G - 8A
Welsh: 15G - 13A (over half that production due to 2nd unit PP time)
Dwyer: 7G - 7A (3SHGs, 2SHAs)

Old
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

- Grit/Physicality on the 4th line will likely come later in the offseason, even as late as the 1st month of the season. JR's talked to some players regarding that, but couldn't get a deal done.

Closed Thread