HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part V: We're Comfortable With Our Defense

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
At his current price, McBain contract is bargain. Questionable D play or not, the kid is good enough for 5 goals and 25 assists. That's something.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
I think McBain's fate depends entirely on the training camp/preseason performance of Ryan Murphy (and maybe a distant chance for Sanguinetti). We'll move him during the season if he blocks Murphy's spot on the third pairing.
Actually it depends on McBain's camp/preseason performance. He comes in in shape (recall he was recovering from shoulder surgery at the beginning of camp last season) and full of vigor and the job is his. He's the incumbent and Murphy's gonna have to beat him out.

Don't get me wrong, I am firmly in the camp of developing your young assets and winning through the draft and acquisition of prospects. But I'm also one who views ALL of these guys as assets, pure and simple. There are maybe 2, 3, or 4 players on this team that I wouldn't move for almost anything (Staal, Staal, maybe Rask, and possibly Biega). Everybody else is available if I'm the GM....not meaning I'm going to trade them, but they'd be available for the right, outrageous over-payment (yes, that means Skinner, Faulk, Ward, etc. would all be available for the right deal).

In the end it is all about putting the right team on the ice for the right price. So as much as I like young, home grown Jamie McBain, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for the right player(s) such as part of a Bobby Ryan deal. I'd trade Ryan Murphy or Justin Faulk as part of a Bobby Ryan deal too. It is much harder to ice an effective team without guys like Ryan as opposed to guys like Faulk, Murphy, or McBain. Best of all we have some redundancy with our PMDs.

Last edited by NotOpie: 07-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Does Murphy go back to Canada or Char if he doesn't make the team. I'm having a brain fart

Old
07-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Does Murphy go back to Canada or Char if he doesn't make the team. I'm having a brain fart
Canada. Rutherford said he'd be up with Carolina though.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:10 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
But if anaheim asked for Rask or Biega, it's no go? That's kind of weird.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

We can't carry 8. It'd be ridiculous for development. Starting to wonder who's on the block. Jesus the Corvo signing looks worse every day

Old
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
His defensive zone positioning is also better than faulks at this point. Faulk is better and more aggressive about being physical.
I feel like every third time you say this, I need to step up and call ********. It's just not true.

Now, you can say it 2 more times without interruption. It still won't be true, but I won't interfere.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes

To answer a few questions at once, Rutherford has said he will continue to pursue another top forward whether it happens now or later.

At this point, I'd lean toward it happening later. Still could be before season begins.
Sounds like Rutherford's plan is to see how the CBA affects teams.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Keep Rask/Biega, move Skinner/Faulk. Makes sense in HF land.

Semin scored 21 in 77 on the Caps. That's better than Nash's 30 in 82 on the worst team in the league or Parise's 31 in 82 how?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Sounds like Rutherford's plan is to see how the CBA affects teams.
I think that's about all we can do if Semin and Doan are not options.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I feel like every third time you say this, I need to step up and call ********. It's just not true.

Now, you can say it 2 more times without interruption. It still won't be true, but I won't interfere.
I'm pretty sure in this thread alone McBain has been called anywhere from a 2-7. As a whole, this board probably has 50+ different top 6 orders for the 6 defenseman likely to make this team. And I'm pretty sure there aren't even 50 regular posters here.

No use arguing about this anymore when everyone disagrees with everyone else.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post

Semin scored 21 in 77 on the Caps. That's better than Nash's 30 in 82 on the worst team in the league or Parise's 31 in 82 how?

No one is claiming Semin>Parise

It's just not a huge drop between the two. Some argue Semin's skill set is more valuable to our squad than Nash. I agree. Not saying he'd better than Nash.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:

Caps played VERY tight defensive style last year. Scoring 20 goals in that system would probably be 30-35 in ours.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

My last question to Mike Smith, which he kinda dodges:

@MSmithCanes On a scale of 1 to 10, what's the chance we offer sheet Evander Kane?

@tylereaves Doubt Winnipeg lets him go, but you never know. Lots of contract uncertainty with new CBA coming up.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Mike Smith is doing a Q&A again:

- Doesn't seem to want to answer the Semin question directly. When asked about the chances the Canes sign Semin or how seriously they're considering it, he responded both times with "I'm not sold on him" or "I'm not a fan". Make of that what you will.

- Canes could re-enter the Nash sweepstakes if Columbus lowers the price. But he says any deal revolving around Skinner or Faulk is dead from the start.

- The current hangup in CBA talks are the owners want a 50/50 split in revenue. The players aren't as enthusiastic.

- It's early, but the 3rd line could be Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer.
the bolded is funny, considering how many times i had to point out that JR WAS NOT going to trade Skinner or Faulk and people kept saying "he did it with Sutter, why not them?". as you can see, JR is 100% against trading Skinner and Faulk

Old
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Semin's 54 points (in a down year) would still be second on our team last season. And in an odd coincidence, it was second on the Caps last year (behind Ovie).

And in a vacuum, Nash > Semin, because Nash hits people. But Semin > Nash + Whatever we have to give up to get him.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
geehaad

Quote:
No use arguing about this anymore when everyone disagrees with everyone else.
I hear ya. I just get dizzy when I read the words "McBain is better defensively (in any way, shape, or form) than Faulk."

I'll try to refrain from now on.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:25 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Depends on how long the contract is. If it's a 1-year deal, I'd question why that GM didn't simply go after Semin instead of trading for him. And this is ignoring the fact that Semin's looking for a multi-year deal.

If we give him a multi-year deal (3-4) and he proves to be cancerous to the lockerrom in year 1, why would any GM trade for him? You don't think they could put two and two together?

"Hmm...Rutherford just signed a guy with supposed character issues to a multi-year deal and now he's trying to trade him before the end of the first year. I wonder what that's all about. "
It probably just means it's the trade deadline, and we're stuck in 10th or 11th place again.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I hear ya. I just get dizzy when I read the words "McBain is better defensively (in any way, shape, or form) than Faulk."

I'll try to refrain from now on.
Two coaching staffs agree with those of us in the Faulk camp. Although it sounds like some opposing broadcaster crews have cast their lot with Team McBain.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
No one is claiming Semin>Parise

It's just not a huge drop between the two. Some argue Semin's skill set is more valuable to our squad than Nash. I agree. Not saying he'd better than Nash.
FWIW, Semin does have higher ppg over his career than Parise. Not better overall, but not much worse.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
FWIW, Semin does have higher ppg over his career than Parise. Not better overall, but not much worse.
And Parise has a whopping 2 more career points in 33 more games.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Semin's 54 points (in a down year) would still be second on our team last season. And in an odd coincidence, it was second on the Caps last year (behind Ovie).

And in a vacuum, Nash > Semin, because Nash hits people. But Semin > Nash + Whatever we have to give up to get him.
If we can get Nash without giving up Skinner/Faulk (which appears to be the only way we'd get Nash), I disagree. Whatever else we have to give up (Jokinen, Murphy, multiple 1st, etc.) would be well worth what Nash brings to the team over Semin.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
StormCast

^You guys are really going to argue Semin vs. Parise based on points? Wow.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Two coaching staffs agree with those of us in the Faulk camp. Although it sounds like some opposing broadcaster crews have cast their lot with Team McBain.
Which, to me, *screams* reputation over actual observation. At the outset of last season, how much actual observation would a broadcasting team have put in on an NHL rookie, one year off being drafted? Next to none, especially relative to a 24-year old who played 3 years in an American college and 2 years in the pros. Let's just get down to brass tacks here: it's akin to treating something that Tripp Tracy has said as gospel.

It just boggles the mind.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
^You guys are really going to argue Semin vs. Parise based on points? Wow.
The game is scored off goals, not who backchecks the best. So, yea, in a vacuum you tend to analyze based on what goes up on the scoreboard, yes.

Closed Thread