HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part V: We're Comfortable With Our Defense

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Why on Earth would you sink 28M into Semin? That's just asking for a Gomez type albatross.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Why on Earth would you sink 28M into Semin? That's just asking for a Gomez type albatross.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Novacane

Yep. 5.5M per is the max I would offer Semin. I don't care if it's a downgrade on his last contract. He didn't live up to it, and giving up any more than that would hinder getting Skinner extended.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Brock Anton
wat

It's going to be funny to watch Rangers fans overrate Rick Nash when they get him after they've spent like 5 months trashing him.

They're reaching Toronto fan level bad here.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Because he's the piece we need. In this market you have to be willing to overpay a bit to get that piece. I think we're a much better team with Semin, than without him.

Comparing him to Gomez is dumb. Gomez, other than '05-06 when he scored 33 goals, was consistently a 12-14 goal scorer playing in NJ and NY.

Semin, if you ignore his rookie season at 19 the year before the lockout, has only scored less than 25 goals once (last year, playing in a much more defensive system, when he still netted 21), and has been in the 30s twice, and hit 40 one year. His career goals-per-game is well over double Gomez.

Even his "down" year last year would have had him second on this team, 3 goals behind Staal and 1 ahead of Skinner. He would have been 2nd on the team in points also.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Yep. 5.5M per is the max I would offer Semin. I don't care if it's a downgrade on his last contract. He didn't live up to it, and giving up any more than that would hinder getting Skinner extended.
If you want to land a free agent here, that's not going to work. Go head, make offers like that, and find yourself scrambling to sign Anthony Stewart and Alexei Ponikarovky.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Because he's the piece we need. In this market you have to be willing to overpay a bit to get that piece. I think we're a much better team with Semin, than without him.

Comparing him to Gomez is dumb. Gomez, other than '05-06 when he scored 33 goals, was consistently a 12-14 goal scorer playing in NJ and NY.

Semin, if you ignore his rookie season at 19 the year before the lockout, has only scored less than 25 goals once (last year, playing in a much more defensive system, when he still netted 21), and has been in the 30s twice, and hit 40 one year. His career goals-per-game is well over double Gomez.

Even his "down" year last year would have had him second on this team, 3 goals behind Staal and 1 ahead of Skinner. He would have been 2nd on the team in points also.
Sorry, you don't give a guy that is known to be lazy and enigmatic 7 million over 4 years, you just don't.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Sorry, you don't give a guy that is known to be lazy and enigmatic 7 million over 4 years, you just don't.
You're right, you give him 8.25M for 7 years.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
You're right, you give him 8.25M for 7 years.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
If you want to land a free agent here, that's not going to work. Go head, make offers like that, and find yourself scrambling to sign Anthony Stewart and Alexei Ponikarovky.
The only free agents that deserve 7M per are Parise and Suter. End of story. I was one of the people clamoring for Semin and would have been fine with a 6-6.5M contract. But that was before we traded for Staal. Now, he's not really a possibility.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Someone's going to give Semin 7 million. I hope it won't be us. That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Especially considering he's made public demands for whatever team signs him...before free agency even started. He left Washington because he wants to be given time in more situations (aka: the PK).

Paying Semin 7 million would be awful. Paying Semin 7 million to play the PK would be worse.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

In a deeper FA year, that'd have some merit. But we need that elite winger. Look at who is getting 4 and 5 $M contracts these days. Even a $7M contract isn't quite what it once was.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Just keep staring him down Rutherford.
I'm sure Rutherford is not staring anyone down. He hasn't been allowed in the room to play with the big boys yet, but I'm sure he has a massive overpayment ready when he is.

Just to show that "Carolina is being viewed differently by people in hockey circles" ya know. That seems to be important to him for some reason.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I'm sure Rutherford is not staring anyone down. He hasn't been allowed in the room to play with the big boys yet, but I'm sure he has a massive overpayment ready when he is.

Just to show that "Carolina is being viewed differently by people in hockey circles" ya know. That seems to be important to him for some reason.
So because we've never been on Rick Nash's "list" and we refused to give Parise and Suter massive signing bonuses, JR was blowing smoke about that whole perception thing?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
So because we've never been on Rick Nash's "list" and we refused to give Parise and Suter massive signing bonuses, JR was blowing smoke about that whole perception thing?
A better question is: What exactly have we done that's supposed to have changed this perception?

We signed Corvo and traded for Jordan, just reenforcing perceptions that were already there. And we were among the first rejected by Parise/Suter, showing that we still can't compete for big name free agents.

So...?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
A better question is: What exactly have we done that's supposed to have changed this perception?

We signed Corvo and traded for Jordan, just reenforcing perceptions that were already there. And we were among the first rejected by Parise/Suter, showing that we still can't compete for big name free agents.

So...?
Apparently, that's your answer.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
You touched us all

Out of curiosity, who else has been rejected with their pursuit of Parise/Suter? I must be missing some team, surely with our changed perception, they both didn't just shoot us down the first day and then take their time on all other teams

Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'd pay Semin $7 mil. You guys need economics course. If we don't, we have zero chance to sign an impact wing. So ur giving him $6 for skill and $1 for lack of supply.

Of course I'd front load the 4 year. 8, 7.5, 6.5, 6

Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollomo Ruutu View Post
Out of curiosity, who else has been rejected with their pursuit of Parise/Suter? I must be missing some team, surely with our changed perception, they both didn't just shoot us down the first day and then take their time on all other teams
Everybody except Detroit (both), Minnesota (both), Pittsburgh, Nashville, New Jersey, Chicago, possibly Philly.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Apparently, that's your answer.
So a team that's been known to collect family members trades for a family member and that changes the perspective?

I don't buy it. If we had acquired Jordan and he was in no way related to a teammate (let alone the captain), then the perception might have changed. But as it is right now, I doubt the perception is anything but "Oh, Carolina traded for the brother of their captain. Big surprise".

If we were part of the group remaining for Parise/Suter, or Nash waives his NTC to com here, then the perception changes.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
semin4captain

Joe Corvo said the Staal trade changed the perception of the Hurricanes. I mean, if Joe Corvo says it, it must be true.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I'd pay Semin $7 mil. You guys need economics course. If we don't, we have zero chance to sign an impact wing. So ur giving him $6 for skill and $1 for lack of supply.

Of course I'd front load the 4 year. 8, 7.5, 6.5, 6
That's even worse. And no I've never taken an economics course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So a team that's been known to collect family members trades for a family member and that changes the perspective?

I don't buy it. If we had acquired Jordan and he was in no way related to a teammate (let alone the captain), then the perception might have changed. But as it is right now, I doubt the perception is anything but "Oh, Carolina traded for the brother of their captain. Big surprise".

If we were part of the group remaining for Parise/Suter, or Nash waives his NTC to com here, then the perception changes.
Except this isn't Brett Sutter, it's Jordan Staal. As in you know, a player who's actually going to help us win. That's why there might be a perception change.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

staalsy loves raleigh.. dougie, timmey, roddy,, cole... little brother jordan inspired,, he scores fifty points with penguins of pittsburgh... jordan come a carolina,, new generation.. new look.. he winner,, two way game

Old
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Face it guys, we're not Detroit or Pittsburgh. Especially since JR (or PK) seems dead-set against signing bonuses, we're going to have to juice the contracts a bit.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
dogbazinho

I'd rather pay him 7 than him 5 + corvo at 2.

Closed Thread