HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part V: We're Comfortable With Our Defense

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  #101
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 31,637
vCash: 500
Why on Earth would you sink 28M into Semin? That's just asking for a Gomez type albatross.

What the Faulk is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  #102
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Why on Earth would you sink 28M into Semin? That's just asking for a Gomez type albatross.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Blueline Bomber is online now  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
  #103
Novacane
Registered User
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 19,476
vCash: 500
Yep. 5.5M per is the max I would offer Semin. I don't care if it's a downgrade on his last contract. He didn't live up to it, and giving up any more than that would hinder getting Skinner extended.

Novacane is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
  #104
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
It's going to be funny to watch Rangers fans overrate Rick Nash when they get him after they've spent like 5 months trashing him.

They're reaching Toronto fan level bad here.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
  #105
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Because he's the piece we need. In this market you have to be willing to overpay a bit to get that piece. I think we're a much better team with Semin, than without him.

Comparing him to Gomez is dumb. Gomez, other than '05-06 when he scored 33 goals, was consistently a 12-14 goal scorer playing in NJ and NY.

Semin, if you ignore his rookie season at 19 the year before the lockout, has only scored less than 25 goals once (last year, playing in a much more defensive system, when he still netted 21), and has been in the 30s twice, and hit 40 one year. His career goals-per-game is well over double Gomez.

Even his "down" year last year would have had him second on this team, 3 goals behind Staal and 1 ahead of Skinner. He would have been 2nd on the team in points also.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
  #106
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Yep. 5.5M per is the max I would offer Semin. I don't care if it's a downgrade on his last contract. He didn't live up to it, and giving up any more than that would hinder getting Skinner extended.
If you want to land a free agent here, that's not going to work. Go head, make offers like that, and find yourself scrambling to sign Anthony Stewart and Alexei Ponikarovky.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
  #107
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Because he's the piece we need. In this market you have to be willing to overpay a bit to get that piece. I think we're a much better team with Semin, than without him.

Comparing him to Gomez is dumb. Gomez, other than '05-06 when he scored 33 goals, was consistently a 12-14 goal scorer playing in NJ and NY.

Semin, if you ignore his rookie season at 19 the year before the lockout, has only scored less than 25 goals once (last year, playing in a much more defensive system, when he still netted 21), and has been in the 30s twice, and hit 40 one year. His career goals-per-game is well over double Gomez.

Even his "down" year last year would have had him second on this team, 3 goals behind Staal and 1 ahead of Skinner. He would have been 2nd on the team in points also.
Sorry, you don't give a guy that is known to be lazy and enigmatic 7 million over 4 years, you just don't.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
  #108
semin4captain
Registered User
 
semin4captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Sorry, you don't give a guy that is known to be lazy and enigmatic 7 million over 4 years, you just don't.
You're right, you give him 8.25M for 7 years.

semin4captain is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
  #109
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
You're right, you give him 8.25M for 7 years.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
  #110
Novacane
Registered User
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 19,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
If you want to land a free agent here, that's not going to work. Go head, make offers like that, and find yourself scrambling to sign Anthony Stewart and Alexei Ponikarovky.
The only free agents that deserve 7M per are Parise and Suter. End of story. I was one of the people clamoring for Semin and would have been fine with a 6-6.5M contract. But that was before we traded for Staal. Now, he's not really a possibility.

Novacane is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  #111
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,107
vCash: 500
Someone's going to give Semin 7 million. I hope it won't be us. That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Especially considering he's made public demands for whatever team signs him...before free agency even started. He left Washington because he wants to be given time in more situations (aka: the PK).

Paying Semin 7 million would be awful. Paying Semin 7 million to play the PK would be worse.

Blueline Bomber is online now  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
  #112
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
In a deeper FA year, that'd have some merit. But we need that elite winger. Look at who is getting 4 and 5 $M contracts these days. Even a $7M contract isn't quite what it once was.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
  #113
FlyingSquirrels
Registered User
 
FlyingSquirrels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Just keep staring him down Rutherford.
I'm sure Rutherford is not staring anyone down. He hasn't been allowed in the room to play with the big boys yet, but I'm sure he has a massive overpayment ready when he is.

Just to show that "Carolina is being viewed differently by people in hockey circles" ya know. That seems to be important to him for some reason.

FlyingSquirrels is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  #114
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I'm sure Rutherford is not staring anyone down. He hasn't been allowed in the room to play with the big boys yet, but I'm sure he has a massive overpayment ready when he is.

Just to show that "Carolina is being viewed differently by people in hockey circles" ya know. That seems to be important to him for some reason.
So because we've never been on Rick Nash's "list" and we refused to give Parise and Suter massive signing bonuses, JR was blowing smoke about that whole perception thing?

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
  #115
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
So because we've never been on Rick Nash's "list" and we refused to give Parise and Suter massive signing bonuses, JR was blowing smoke about that whole perception thing?
A better question is: What exactly have we done that's supposed to have changed this perception?

We signed Corvo and traded for Jordan, just reenforcing perceptions that were already there. And we were among the first rejected by Parise/Suter, showing that we still can't compete for big name free agents.

So...?

Blueline Bomber is online now  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
  #116
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
A better question is: What exactly have we done that's supposed to have changed this perception?

We signed Corvo and traded for Jordan, just reenforcing perceptions that were already there. And we were among the first rejected by Parise/Suter, showing that we still can't compete for big name free agents.

So...?
Apparently, that's your answer.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
  #117
BanginLikeaBiscuit
You touched us all
 
BanginLikeaBiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Out of curiosity, who else has been rejected with their pursuit of Parise/Suter? I must be missing some team, surely with our changed perception, they both didn't just shoot us down the first day and then take their time on all other teams

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  #118
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
I'd pay Semin $7 mil. You guys need economics course. If we don't, we have zero chance to sign an impact wing. So ur giving him $6 for skill and $1 for lack of supply.

Of course I'd front load the 4 year. 8, 7.5, 6.5, 6

Sasha Cares is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  #119
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollomo Ruutu View Post
Out of curiosity, who else has been rejected with their pursuit of Parise/Suter? I must be missing some team, surely with our changed perception, they both didn't just shoot us down the first day and then take their time on all other teams
Everybody except Detroit (both), Minnesota (both), Pittsburgh, Nashville, New Jersey, Chicago, possibly Philly.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  #120
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Apparently, that's your answer.
So a team that's been known to collect family members trades for a family member and that changes the perspective?

I don't buy it. If we had acquired Jordan and he was in no way related to a teammate (let alone the captain), then the perception might have changed. But as it is right now, I doubt the perception is anything but "Oh, Carolina traded for the brother of their captain. Big surprise".

If we were part of the group remaining for Parise/Suter, or Nash waives his NTC to com here, then the perception changes.

Blueline Bomber is online now  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  #121
semin4captain
Registered User
 
semin4captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Joe Corvo said the Staal trade changed the perception of the Hurricanes. I mean, if Joe Corvo says it, it must be true.

semin4captain is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
  #122
Brock Anton
wat
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 15,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I'd pay Semin $7 mil. You guys need economics course. If we don't, we have zero chance to sign an impact wing. So ur giving him $6 for skill and $1 for lack of supply.

Of course I'd front load the 4 year. 8, 7.5, 6.5, 6
That's even worse. And no I've never taken an economics course.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So a team that's been known to collect family members trades for a family member and that changes the perspective?

I don't buy it. If we had acquired Jordan and he was in no way related to a teammate (let alone the captain), then the perception might have changed. But as it is right now, I doubt the perception is anything but "Oh, Carolina traded for the brother of their captain. Big surprise".

If we were part of the group remaining for Parise/Suter, or Nash waives his NTC to com here, then the perception changes.
Except this isn't Brett Sutter, it's Jordan Staal. As in you know, a player who's actually going to help us win. That's why there might be a perception change.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
  #123
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 7,473
vCash: 500
staalsy loves raleigh.. dougie, timmey, roddy,, cole... little brother jordan inspired,, he scores fifty points with penguins of pittsburgh... jordan come a carolina,, new generation.. new look.. he winner,, two way game

OrioleWay is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  #124
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Face it guys, we're not Detroit or Pittsburgh. Especially since JR (or PK) seems dead-set against signing bonuses, we're going to have to juice the contracts a bit.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
  #125
dogbazinho
Registered User
 
dogbazinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
I'd rather pay him 7 than him 5 + corvo at 2.

dogbazinho is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.