HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 9-14

Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Attended the scrimmage this morning. For some running thoughts on the scrimmage, check my twitter feed (http://twitter.com/emptymaybe). Slightly more long-form thoughts, please take with a grain of salt and all that -

Almeida and Carrick stood out for their scoring, obviously. Almeida's breakaway goal started with him poking the puck away from the dman, getting it and breaking away, which was nice. Earlier in the game he had a breakaway as well, and didn't convert. What was nice is that he immediately hauled ass to get back down the ice and breakup a play in his defensive zone.

Carrick was player of the game for me. Most times on the ice he was doing something - he was more physical than I expected, he wasn't afraid to pinch, and he pretty much hustled the entire game.

Talked to a nice gentleman throughout the game (didn't get his name, but he still has a "Save The Caps" shirt, so he's okay by me), and he pointed out a player who had caught his eye - Andreas Martinsen. Big dude, older (22), played a polished, responsible game and wasn't afraid to hit folks. Blocked a shot or two. No idea if he's good enough to sign, but he did looked quietly good out there.

Kostenko played fairly well, but seemed very floppy. At one point a puck leaked through 5 hole and McKenzie had to sweep it off the line.

As for Tom Wilson, we should probably not think about him for at the very least 2 season. He needs lots of games. Raw talent, but skating could use work, though he's okay north-south. He certainly likes to hit people.

Forsberg, well, I like this guy. Always alert, both offensively with and without the puck, and defensively. Not afraid to get physical, and helped out in the defensive zone. Smooth skater. You could tell he's a high-talent/sense guy. I never saw his skate with his head down, puck or no puck.

Schilling looked very calm out there. Was pretty clear that he had a little more polish than most of the D.

Galiev didn't stand out to me good or bad.

Nice to be at the rink.
Marshall, was there as well. Forsberg had a nice move around an opponent in the defensive end of the ice on his first shift then he took the puck all the way up and put a nice wrister on goal. Definitely smooth skater but I didn't see the physical play in his game today that you did. He had an opportunity in the first to check someone hard along the boards and he peeled away. He did have a nice goal in the second on Kostenko off a sweet feed from below the goal line (don't remember who fed it to him). Iafrate looked good in the first period, seems like a decent skater, but in the second he could not catch up to Almeida on his breakaway and of course it was his penalty that led to the fourth goal. Galiev centered the line for the red team with Tom Wilson as one of his line mates but they didn't do too much. The kid Barber for red did show some spark in his game. I just can't see Martinsen ever making it, however must admit that the puck does seem to find him. I think his size is what made him dangerous today.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Attended the scrimmage this morning. For some running thoughts on the scrimmage, check my twitter feed (http://twitter.com/emptymaybe). Slightly more long-form thoughts, please take with a grain of salt and all that -

Almeida and Carrick stood out for their scoring, obviously. Almeida's breakaway goal started with him poking the puck away from the dman, getting it and breaking away, which was nice. Earlier in the game he had a breakaway as well, and didn't convert. What was nice is that he immediately hauled ass to get back down the ice and breakup a play in his defensive zone.

Carrick was player of the game for me. Most times on the ice he was doing something - he was more physical than I expected, he wasn't afraid to pinch, and he pretty much hustled the entire game.

Talked to a nice gentleman throughout the game (didn't get his name, but he still has a "Save The Caps" shirt, so he's okay by me), and he pointed out a player who had caught his eye - Andreas Martinsen. Big dude, older (22), played a polished, responsible game and wasn't afraid to hit folks. Blocked a shot or two. No idea if he's good enough to sign, but he did looked quietly good out there.

Kostenko played fairly well, but seemed very floppy. At one point a puck leaked through 5 hole and McKenzie had to sweep it off the line.

As for Tom Wilson, we should probably not think about him for at the very least 2 season. He needs lots of games. Raw talent, but skating could use work, though he's okay north-south. He certainly likes to hit people.

Forsberg, well, I like this guy. Always alert, both offensively with and without the puck, and defensively. Not afraid to get physical, and helped out in the defensive zone. Smooth skater. You could tell he's a high-talent/sense guy. I never saw his skate with his head down, puck or no puck.

Schilling looked very calm out there. Was pretty clear that he had a little more polish than most of the D.

Galiev didn't stand out to me good or bad.

Nice to be at the rink.
Awesome rink report. Thanks for going and writing that up. Behind big on my twitter feed so will get a double dose when i try to catch up.

07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
To the Video Tape. The vids are kind of meh but are more for those that can't make it out to Kettler. Do not quote this post and mods delete any unneeded long ass quotes pls. Mobile users thank you.

Carrick Goal

Almeida Goal

Stephenson Goal

There are other videos on my channel including the McKenzie bailout of Kostenko, a Wilson hit, and random stuff.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Atlas

Thanks, Ref.

I'm glad the news is all good about Forsberg. We lucked into a player there.

Can anyone tell us more about Wilson? Stone hands?Or a lethal shot? Might he be a Rick Tocchet one day? Or Joel Ward? Or Chris Simon? (Or Art Garfunkel?). What's his upside look like?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

All I saw out of Wilson was a big body willing to hit. You see him hunting down Stephenson after his goal. I think he has decent mobility WRT to his somewhat tremendous girth. I don't have a comparable... trying to think who was a big hitter caps RW. His frame/skating reminds me of John Druce

Speaking of girth, Jaynen Rissling sure is big, with decent mobility. Better than Sarge I would say.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
All I saw out of Wilson was a big body willing to hit. You see him hunting down Stephenson after his goal. I think he has decent mobility WRT to his somewhat tremendous girth. I don't have a comparable... trying to think who was a big hitter caps RW. His frame/skating reminds me of John Druce

Speaking of girth, Jaynen Rissling sure is big, with decent mobility. Better than Sarge I would say.
Yeah, so far in the scrimmages I don't think Wilson has shown that much with his hands except for a beautiful forehand to backhand deke on his penalty shot goal.

However, I will say that I saw a lot more skill than I've seen in any of the scrimmages from him when I watched him Wednesday morning during practice. I see it as a sign that he has better hands than he has shown but that he hasn't had enough playing time in an offensive top six role to learn how to use them consistently. As others have said, he's a project who is a big and loves to hit, and this next year will be great for him to play a full year in the OHL hopefully in a top six role.

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Atlas

Thanks. I wonder if Wilson gets a spot on the WJC team? Is he American or Canadian or...?

My gut still tells me Teuvo.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Carlzner

Thanks for the videos RH.

The Wilson hit was very fun to watch.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He got less than Sjogren?!?
Sjogren had the leverage to negotiate with other teams.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

I was actually trying to get Wilson video more than others. Even though I missed the actual hit for the most part, the board support blocked it, but the loud sound was proof positive, he laid down the thunder. You can see the Dman he hit just getting back up.

BC if you see a dman tomorrow after the scrimmage, ask if they were running zone or man on D. I couldn't tell for certain but if forced to guess, would guess man coverage.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Carlzner

Not sure if I can make it down tomorrow... Niece's birthday party...

I'll try my best though, and will try and ask that question if I do go down.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

The board at large here as spectators may be able to tell... have you seen man or zone coverage at Kettler this week? The D looked aggressive to me.

I vote Man.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Thanks. I wonder if Wilson gets a spot on the WJC team? Is he American or Canadian or...?

My gut still tells me Teuvo.
From Sk8's post earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I know this isn't specifically about development camp, but since I pulled this info. together to respond to the question after the draft, I thought I'd post the info. here since it relates to many of the players attending the dev. camp.

For the next U20, here’s a list of all of the eligible prospects regardless of how much of a longshot; note ’92s are no longer eligible for WJC U20; have to be born in ’93 or later.

Sweden: Filip Forsberg, C/W, 8/13/94; Christian Djoos, D, 8/6/94; Forsberg was on Sweden’s U20 team last year

USA: Riley Barber, RW, 2/7/94; Travis Boyd, C, 9/14/93; Connor Carrick, D, 4/13/94; Thomas Di Pauli, C, 4/29/94; Garrett Haar, D, 8/16/93; Austin Wuthrich, RW, 8/11/93

Canada: Jaynen Rissling, D, 9/21/93; Chandler Stephenson, C/LW, 4/22/94; Tom Wilson, RW, 3/29/94

Canada: Tom Wilson is on Team Canada’s roster for the Canada Russia Challenge in August to be played in Yaroslavl, Russia and Halifax, Canada.
There you have it. He appears to at least be in the mix for a spot on Canada's WJC team.

(I edited some of sk8's post to make it more relevant to just Tom Wilson, the original is on page 1 of this thread)

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

I thought Martinsen was the most noticeable forward today.

Schilling looked very composed on D.

Max Iafrate looked confident but he did have a couple of turnovers.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider

Sweet, another bolter!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:18 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The board at large here as spectators may be able to tell... have you seen man or zone coverage at Kettler this week? The D looked aggressive to me.

I vote Man.
I'd say man just based upon one scenario that occurred in today's scrimmage during the 2nd period. White team forward carries the puck across the blue line and starts to go left, red RD starts to pick him up but red LD moves towards the white forward as well leaving his whole side of the ice open that he just vacated. Folks around me started screaming "two of you are playing/defending the same" player. This was red defense on the miscue, but it was not Wey and I don't think it was Iafrate either.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more scrimmages between clubs at this time of year, at least in the mid-Atlantic region where bus trips are easy enough to arrange.

I would probably make it to a local version of Traverse City if the Caps hosted such an event.
For one thing, college players would lose eligibility if they participate in a scrimmage with another team. (Yes, it doesn't make sense that they can attend the camp if they pay their own way, but can't participate in a scrimmage with another team.)

ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Thanks everyone fornthe observations/recaps of the scrimmages. Best way to keep up while out here in Park City.

Safe to say Carrick's the breakout drafted prospect of the camp?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Thanks everyone fornthe observations/recaps of the scrimmages. Best way to keep up while out here in Park City.

Safe to say Carrick's the breakout drafted prospect of the camp?
If nothing else he's got the potential to give brooks laich-ian interviews one day.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Well. It's probably better for him to play as number one goalie for Norway's "Montreal Canadiens" than a junior team in Canada. Only difference is ice-size, but there must be better players in an elite league.

Norwegian Elite League is like the lower half of the Swedish Tier 1(or is it 2? The league under the SEL).

Last edited by SirKillalot: 07-13-2012 at 06:52 PM.
SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Oh looking at the Blackhawks prospect camp thread, it appears TT is indeed better than Hendri... Tom Wilson, sorry.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

George is envisioning Wilson trucking guys like TT

You won't see stuff like that in camp against your own guys.

Lets revisit that pick in 3-4 years

Old
07-14-2012, 06:19 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Oh looking at the Blackhawks prospect camp thread, it appears TT is indeed better than Hendri... Tom Wilson, sorry.
Over hyping first rounders after a few days of prospect camp. Unheard of on these boards.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Video is up and running on the Caps website.

Nice to hear John Walton's voice.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Link to the scrimmage.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote