HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets sign Olli Jokinen (2 years, 4.5M cap hit)

Old
07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Damien Cox is just a complete tool.

This for me, takes the cake:

That has to be sarcasm. He cannot possibly believe that.
A lot of the Toronto-based reporters are in full apology mode right now on behalf of Burke. Mark Spector wrote a very critical article on Burke's inability to build the Leafs and he was attacked by other TO reporters including some of his Sportsnet cohorts like Cox. Their spin was ridiculous...Think Burke was inactive on July 1st? Then you're a homophobe because Burke was busy marching the Gay Pride Parade. Think Burke is missing out on effective free agents? Then you're stupid because Jokinen, Hudler, et al are overpaid. Nevermind the Kessel deal, the Komisarek signing, or the super stealth pick up of Tim "Iron Man" Connolly last year.

Some of these guys are more b.s. than FoxNews which I didn't think was possible!

I presume that many don't want to bite the hand that feeds them or be cut off from their valued MLSE sources. I imagine it's a tough time to be a Leafs fan. Their rebuild started same time as Edmonton's and the Oilers are likely going to pass the Leafs this year while Burke still searches for a #1 C and a real goalie.

Honestly, I enjoy it. The comments from the many disgruntled Leafs fans in the main forum have provided much levity over the long weekend. Other than the Blue Jays, Toronto sucks.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Honestly, I enjoy it. The comments from the many disgruntled Leafs fans in the main forum have provided much levity over the long weekend. Other than the Blue Jays, Toronto sucks.
So what's the O/U on the Jays winning the WS before the Leafs get past the 2nd round of the playoffs? 15 years?

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

All I can say is Olle cow this is a great signing, and I'm not Jokinen.

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
is it ok to still be slightly giddy over this signing? Great term, reasonable price, arguably a 1st line centre which we were in dire need of, and allows the Jets choices regarding the development of Burmi and Schiefele. Plus, it adds size to the roster.

The freedom this gives Noel regarding the line-up, when you also throw Poni and some IceCap guys into the mix is very encouraging.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
So what's the O/U on the Jays winning the WS before the Leafs get past the 2nd round of the playoffs? 15 years?
Jays need more substantial moves before they are WS contenders but I feel we'll see the Jays in the playoffs before we see the Leafs in the playoffs. I can't see the Leafs getting to the second round in the next 5 years unless they re-name the Marlies.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
is it ok to still be slightly giddy over this signing? Great term, reasonable price, arguably a 1st line centre which we were in dire need of, and allows the Jets choices regarding the development of Burmi and Schiefele. Plus, it adds size to the roster.

The freedom this gives Noel regarding the line-up, when you also throw Poni and some IceCap guys into the mix is very encouraging.
Dude, occasionally I think about us adding Poni, Olli and that Chevy said he was far from done, and I crack a wide smile

Signing good veteran talent on reasonable short term deals allow us to be competitive now and doesn't hurt our development model (other than not having quite so good draft picks).

07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Haha, Damien Cox saying like "this is the worst sign of century" on twitter. Unfollowed him. He is true Leafs fanboy, don't get his hate against Jokinen and Jets. (Seems like he blocked me too..)

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Like seriously. Jokinen a good signing by Jets? Does Cheveldayoff have that many pals in the media?

Here is more: http://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin/
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Listened to NHL Home Ice on the way into work this morning and they were also puzzled by the sigining, said it's too much money, and that guys like Kane, Bogosian, etc will be asking for a lot more money when their contracts come. One of them said "If they're willing to give 4.5 to Jokinen and he hasn't played for the team, what are they going to do about re-signing their own guys?"

Meanwhile, they went straight to praising the signing of this year's Ville Leino, PA Parenteau, in Colorado, without applying the same criteria to their own young guys.
Cox is flat out wrong he must have missed the 61 points OJ put up last season and is obviously painfully unaware of the gaping hole we had to fill with a big top 6 centre?? Sometimes I think he talks to hear the sound of his voice. I realize his team had not been active SO FAR this week but this is a great pick up for the Jets at a fair price for the exact right amount of time. thanks for coming out Cox and don't let the door hit you in the a55 when you leave.

As for Home Ice I listen to it allot and don't usually have many issues....they may be correct in that this contract may impact other salaries but I don't see it as a huge issue. also the one guy is an Islander fan so maybe he had a soft spot for Parenteau but for that move to escape similar scrutiny is puzzling considering OJ has got it done on more than one poor team whereas PA Is a one hit wonder riding Tavares's coattails.

haters gonna Hate ( E Kane)

Seriously I will take the legions of flames fans word who seem to feel we scored well here over a few talking heads who probably never picked up a stick in their life.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Dude, occasionally I think about us adding Poni, Olli and that Chevy said he was far from done, and I crack a wide smile

Signing good veteran talent on reasonable short term deals allow us to be competitive now and doesn't hurt our development model (other than not having quite so good draft picks).
100% agree boys with both your outstanding posts!!

I was thrilled last night.....I mean really thrilled, and I am happier today. I have zero buyers remorse and this is a big ticket item. this deal works on every level for us.

My how 24 hours can change the outlook of a team going into a new year.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

I was thrilled last night.....I mean really thrilled, and I am happier today. I have zero buyers remorse and this is a big ticket item. this deal works on every level for us.

mmhmm!

I actually let out a big **** Yes! when i saw the oli signin on my twitter feed. G/F was right beside me and was all "waht the hell?"

I just love this signing. and i'm so excited for next season.

Considering he "nowher near done yet" ting really makes me think their may be a trade in the works. that's something i'd love to see.(even if its just a minor deal)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:

Giddy seems a little much. I think it's a solid signing who fixes a big whole down the middle, but I'm not rushing out to buy a Jokinen jersey.

For those who criticize with "well what does that mean for the Jets young players" - they seem to miss that with this being a short-term deal it was made entirely with those young players in mind.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
mmhmm!

I actually let out a big **** Yes! when i saw the oli signin on my twitter feed. G/F was right beside me and was all "waht the hell?"

I just love this signing. and i'm so excited for next season.

Considering he "nowher near done yet" ting really makes me think their may be a trade in the works. that's something i'd love to see.(even if its just a minor deal)
I really enjoy your smartphone posts, Grind

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

vCash: 0
Quote:
I wouldn't mind a GDT or two from Grind's smartphone this year.

07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
touch phone keyboards are the debil

my shortt attention span doens't help much....

Old
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I wouldn't mind a GDT or two from Grind's smartphone this year.
i'm into that.

I'll try and find a really basic photoshop-esq program for my android and see if i can photo shop jets players into phone ads from the internets.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

Quote:
i'm into that.

I'll try and find a really basic photoshop-esq program for my android and see if i can photo shop jets players into phone ads from the internets.
I am digging this idea. Or, in 'Grindphone':

Imb diigning this ideea

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I am digging this idea. Or, in 'Grindphone':

Imb diigning this ideea
then its settled.

Remind me of the this when the list for next year comes up.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Bob E

Really like the signing of Olli. Term and salary is fine.

What I love most is it seems to bridge a top 6 center spot until Scheifele is ready (hopefully). Another year in OHL and then one in the AHL. He'll then be ready to step in and contribute meaningful minutes and points (again, hopefully).

I still have 2nd line RW spot open, as I see burmi on 3rd line with antro and poni, for now. Don't see mittens or machacek being that guy either.

Semin is likely not a great fit and risky too - especially at the term and $ he'd want. Would Jagr actually sign here?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

I am a big fan of both moves. The short term takes away all the risk and Poni / Olli are clearly an upgrade over Welly / Stapleton.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Giddy???

I can't freakin' wait for the beginning of the season!!! Now more than ever. I'm so pumped for the way that this team is being built and managed.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegWinter View Post
My only fear with these signings (please correct me if im wrong) is that Poni and Joki are easy players to play against. They may be good positionally, but if the system starts breaking down like it did at times last year, we still dont have much grit to back it up.

I like the Joki signing, but it sounds like hes the kind of player that other teams like playing against?
Poni does not throw devastating hits or anything, but he is very gritty in the corners and out front. He battles hard to for the puck, and if he and Antropov play together (which I think they will), that line will wear teams down on the forecheck and cycle. It will be damn hard for other teams to break a cycle with those two on the puck.

Jokinen not so much, but his size up front will help. In our own end our tiny centermen last year (Little, Wellwood, Stapleton) got dominated, Jokinen will be able to handle big forwards much better. He works A LOT harder and is a much better twoway guy than his FLA or PHO days, he really has remodelled his game in CGY. He is still not super gritty, but he is solid positionally, works hard, and has the offensive talent.

Point is, with these guys, the defensive zone coverage should not break down nearly as much. Getting rid of Glass and Fehr, and if Kane and Miettienen can improve their clearing the zone play the defensive zone coverage will improve with these two guys slotted in.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Poni does not throw devastating hits or anything, but he is very gritty in the corners and out front. He battles hard to for the puck, and if he and Antropov play together (which I think they will), that line will wear teams down on the forecheck and cycle. It will be damn hard for other teams to break a cycle with those two on the puck.

Jokinen not so much, but his size up front will help. In our own end our tiny centermen last year (Little, Wellwood, Stapleton) got dominated, Jokinen will be able to handle big forwards much better. He works A LOT harder and is a much better twoway guy than his FLA or PHO days, he really has remodelled his game in CGY. He is still not super gritty, but he is solid positionally, works hard, and has the offensive talent.

Point is, with these guys, the defensive zone coverage should not break down nearly as much. Getting rid of Glass and Fehr, and if Kane and Miettienen can improve their clearing the zone play the defensive zone coverage will improve with these two guys slotted in.
I'll shed a few tears in remembrance of "Staplescrub".

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Gm0ney

So the Jets sign one of the Top 5 scoring UFA's, the #1 Centre on the board, a guy who scored just 8 points less than Parise for an AAV of $4.5 million...lol Cox.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
DarthMonty
Beaverhood

This is a great FA signing. As has been mentioned many times above me, the shorter term and fair money works out well for both the player and the team. Jokinen will probably stay somewhere around 60 points, but it's 60 points THE JETS DIDN'T HAVE LAST YEAR. Even if Jokinen amasses less points, it's still extra points the team didn't benefit fom last season.

I went without the Jets for fifteen years, so I'm willing to be patient with the team, because the payoff should be huge when management assembles the contender I expect to see in three to five years. I fully expect the Jets to make the playoffs next season; really it's a bonus if the team is a post-season team this year, IMHO. Once all the pieces are in place, in three to five years, I believe the Jets will become like Detroit - making the playoffs every year and considered as one of the Final Four, if not Stanley Cup finalist favourites due to the constant replenishing of the system, and timely trades and free agent signings to aaugment the core players.

This is not a fantasy, it's exactly how the Moose, and now Jets management operates.

I believe I will see the Jets win the Stanley Cup within seven years. Book it.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
i hate this statement. it's completely unfounded.

people think ladd's not a legit 1st liner? he is.

28 and 29 goals... that's what a first liner puts up.

People need to check their worth as to what a "first liner" is.

Hint: it's someone who puts up less the 70 pts a season.
60 pts is Above average first line production in the last two seasons.

please check the stats at NHL.com and provide the number of how many players scored 60+ points. its less then 90, which is how many "first liners" their are in the league.

Ladd is an excellent "third wheel" on the first line. He is a garbage man, and he is one of the best. You need guys like that to make room and get the dirty goals for your skilled top liners.

Maybe you don't think he's a star. he's not. go ahead and say that. But don't say he's not a first liner, as he is. He just shouldn't be relied on as your main point getter on the first line. Adding jokinen allows him to be exactly what he needs to be on the first line, the complementary piece, the garbage man.
So, on how many teams do you think Ladd makes the first line? I'm happy with a promotion from 3rd to 2nd line (his previous teams were cup winners after all) but I'd rather see Kane on the 1st line (with Jokinen).

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:13 PM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

Love to see you guys get Olli, I'm officially getting on the Jets bandwagon now...as my #2 team anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Best thing I've ever seen

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote