HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets sign Olli Jokinen (2 years, 4.5M cap hit)

Old
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Tdoe42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
So the Jets sign one of the Top 5 scoring UFA's, the #1 Centre on the board, a guy who scored just 8 points less than Parise for an AAV of $4.5 million...lol Cox.
lol I gave Cox a follow on twitter should be good for a laugh or two!! im a sucker for punishment!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
So true, the Jets probably get the least attention and respect from the Canadian media.

Anybody watch Sportsnet over the weekend? Their panel did an in depth review of signings by every Canadian team except us. They briefly mentioned the Jets signing Ponikarovsky in between Carkner going to Long Island and Parros going to Florida.

When they talk about Jokinen today, I bet they'll talk ad nauseum about what the Flames are losing as opposed to what the Jets are gaining.
You have to look at which networks do which team's local broadcasts. Jets don't get much airplay on Sportsnet because they don't do our local broadcasts, whereas Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto do because they do. On the other hand, the Jets the alot of attention on TSN. Probably because they have the contract to do our telecasts.

Another example is baseball. Sure the Jays get some attention on TSN, but nothing near the amount you see on Sportsnet. I'm sure you don't have to ask why. MMA is the same. You see hi-lights of MMA on Sportsnet because they show so much of that crap. Nothing that I've ever noticed on TSN.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:01 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Haha, Damien Cox saying like "this is the worst sign of century" on twitter. Unfollowed him. He is true Leafs fanboy, don't get his hate against Jokinen and Jets. (Seems like he blocked me too..)

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Like seriously. Jokinen a good signing by Jets? Does Cheveldayoff have that many pals in the media?

Here is more: http://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin/
Doesn't take much to get blocked by Cox. Last summer he was stringing off machine gun pbp tweets of some tennis match. Not being a big fan of tennis I tweeted him with some stupid (but harmless and I thought non-offensive) quip about tennis. Before you know it, I was blocked.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
McFist
Goodnight, Mr Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Doesn't take much to get blocked by Cox. Last summer he was stringing off machine gun pbp tweets of some tennis match. Not being a big fan of tennis I tweeted him with some stupid (but harmless and I thought non-offensive) quip about tennis. Before you know it, I was blocked.
So what you're saying is, it's easy to get Cox-blocked?

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
mmhmm!

I actually let out a big **** Yes! when i saw the oli signin on my twitter feed. G/F was right beside me and was all "waht the hell?"

I just love this signing. and i'm so excited for next season.

Considering he "nowher near done yet" ting really makes me think their may be a trade in the works. that's something i'd love to see.(even if its just a minor deal)
My wife posted a request for a retweet from wives/gf of those #nhljets obssesed fans haha

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
So, on how many teams do you think Ladd makes the first line? I'm happy with a promotion from 3rd to 2nd line (his previous teams were cup winners after all) but I'd rather see Kane on the 1st line (with Jokinen).
Last season, Andrew Ladd outproduced the top LW (as per nhl.com) on the following teams:
nashville
new york rangers
anaheim
columbus
calgary
detroit
la
st louis
tampa

Is he your go to goal getter first liner? no. Will kane be a "better" first liner? yes.

But the numbers don't lie, Ladd is capable of playing, and succeeding in a first line role, especially if he is not expected to carry the brunt of the offence.

like most succesfull teams, i would hope management would not put jokinen and kane on the same line, as most succesfull teams have their best goal scorers split, creating a more balanced attack.

sorry for continuing this extrodinarily OT debate that i feel very strongly about, but i'm finished.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Last season, Andrew Ladd outproduced the top LW (as per nhl.com) on the following teams:
nashville
new york rangers
anaheim
columbus
calgary
detroit
la
st louis
tampa

Is he your go to goal getter first liner? no. Will kane be a "better" first liner? yes.

But the numbers don't lie, Ladd is capable of playing, and succeeding in a first line role, especially if he is not expected to carry the brunt of the offence.

like most succesfull teams, i would hope management would not put jokinen and kane on the same line, as most succesfull teams have their best goal scorers split, creating a more balanced attack.

sorry for continuing this extrodinarily OT debate that i feel very strongly about, but i'm finished.
Not to push you since you're worried about being off topic, but including Jokinen, what do your top two lines look like then? I really wasn't trying to wind you up as I had no idea that questioning whether Ladd should be a first liner was anyone's hot button issue.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Not to push you since you're worried about being off topic, but including Jokinen, what do your top two lines look like then? I really wasn't trying to wind you up as I had no idea that questioning whether Ladd should be a first liner was anyone's hot button issue.
It is for people who are more logic/statistic minded than just "watching the game" (and some of the later people too). Not actually arguing you, just saying it's actually a bit of a standard stereotype that occurs here.
Ladd got a lot of gruff from media and fans for many untrue things:
1) that he wanted out of Winnipeg: built a place there
2) his points in 2010 was a "fluke": he replicated similarly this year
3) he very often gets called a 3rd liner: he has progressed and is a legit 1st albeit since we have a possible franchise LW in our depth charts he will most likely move to the 2nd soon (my guess is part way through this year or start of next)
4) Bad/offensive/lazy/whatever penalties: AIH showed how Wheeler (not knocking him at all!) has more offensive zone penalties, 3rd period penalties, when within 1 goal penalties, and "lazy" stick penalties...
etc, etc, etc

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It is for people who are more logic/statistic minded than just "watching the game" (and some of the later people too). Not actually arguing you, just saying it's actually a bit of a standard stereotype that occurs here.
Ladd got a lot of gruff from media and fans for many untrue things:
1) that he wanted out of Winnipeg: built a place there
2) his points in 2010 was a "fluke": he replicated similarly this year
3) he very often gets called a 3rd liner: he has progressed and is a legit 1st albeit since we have a possible franchise LW in our depth charts he will most likely move to the 2nd soon (my guess is part way through this year or start of next)
4) Bad/offensive/lazy/whatever penalties: AIH showed how Wheeler (not knocking him at all!) has more offensive zone penalties, 3rd period penalties, when within 1 goal penalties, and "lazy" stick penalties...
etc, etc, etc
I actually do like Ladd and have no skin in the "wanted out of Winnipeg" thing, so that is not creating any bias for me. Statistics are good and provide important insights of course, but there is nothing wrong with basing opinions on what one has observed over a couple of seasons either (unless one doesn't understand what they are watching I guess). Third period penalties probably gave him a bit of that rep you are talking about, but that isn't a knock I've ever had against Ladd. I agree he doesn't belong on the third line, I just don't think he and Little belong on the first line either when Kane and Ollie are available.

I'll give Little and Wheeler and usually Ladd credit for first line effort though. I get why he is wearing the C. Now I'm talking myself out of it a bit because the lack of focus on consistent effort is probably what has kept Kane from sticking on the 1st line, but I want to see a bit more raw talent from a 1st line LW. As long as Ladd and Little are the best choices for the top line (and they may be right now), I don't see the Jets ever going deep (barring a repeat of Little's sophomore season). That is why I don't understand why people get excited about penciling in Ladd on the first line.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I'm happy with this signing, but wonder if Jagr for same deal would have been better.

mondo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
PostmanPat1919

According to CapGeek, Jokinen's contract also has a modified no trade clause in it.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=452

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
According to CapGeek, Jokinen's contract also has a modified no trade clause in it.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=452

And he also got a $250,000 signing bonus.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I actually do like Ladd and have no skin in the "wanted out of Winnipeg" thing, so that is not creating any bias for me. Statistics are good and provide important insights of course, but there is nothing wrong with basing opinions on what one has observed over a couple of seasons either (unless one doesn't understand what they are watching I guess). Third period penalties probably gave him a bit of that rep you are talking about, but that isn't a knock I've ever had against Ladd. I agree he doesn't belong on the third line, I just don't think he and Little belong on the first line either when Kane and Ollie are available.

I'll give Little and Wheeler and usually Ladd credit for first line effort though. I get why he is wearing the C. Now I'm talking myself out of it a bit because the lack of focus on consistent effort is probably what has kept Kane from sticking on the 1st line, but I want to see a bit more raw talent from a 1st line LW. As long as Ladd and Little are the best choices for the top line (and they may be right now), I don't see the Jets ever going deep (barring a repeat of Little's sophomore season). That is why I don't understand why people get excited about penciling in Ladd on the first line.
No problem. Sorrybfor beinf knee jerk, just have a pet peeve with a lot of peiples use od the term " firat liner' as many seem to think if yoir not putting up 70 points your not worth tje first line. Also jist feel ladd is a great complementary fuy. Hopefully in the fuyure well be doibg the kine 1 a and line 1 b thing.

My top 6 aa od rifht now would be
Ladd olli wheels
Kane little burmi

Anyways he gets unfair flack ans is a champ a ****ing champ

edit: thanks hammer, was going to get rid of that once i got in the office.

Last edited by Grind: 07-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Guess whos posting from his smartphone again!?

Oh bou thay was a doozy
Ill edit that tomorrow....

Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
No problem. Sorrybfor beinf knee jerk, just have a pet peeve with a lot of peiples use od the term " firat liner' as many seem to think if yoir not putting up 70 points your not worth tje first line. Also jist feel ladd is a great complementary fuy. Hopefully in the fuyure well be doibg the kine 1 a and line 1 b thing.

My top 6 aa od rifht now would be
Ladd olli wheels
Kane little burmi

Anyways he gets unfair flack ans is a champ a ****ing champ
Quote:

Oh bou thay was a doozy
Ha ha ha. I was able to translate it OK.
Maybe just make that last line a bit clearer?

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 07-04-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:

Nice post.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:03 AM
sully1410

Quote:

Oh bou thay was a doozy
I post from my phone all the time. Its no excuse. LAZINESS!!!!

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:14 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I have to give props to Jokinen for deciding to come here without actually visiting the city before.

We only played the Flames once this year and that was an away game. Jokinen was also drafted a few years after the original Jets left.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Kaptah

Olli is from Finland, so cold weather is no obstacle. And Winnipeg Jets was quite heavily followed in Finland thanks to Teemu Selšnne, so Olli's choice ain't such a mystery.

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:30 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Olli is from Finland, so cold weather is no obstacle. And Winnipeg Jets was quite heavily followed in Finland thanks to Teemu Selšnne, so Olli's choice ain't such a mystery.
I found it kind of funny when Katerina Jokinen (his wife) tweeted something like: "Thank god that I didn't throw winter clothes away!"

The weather isn't any kind of factor for him.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:37 AM
sirMcDuck

This weather-thing is pretty funny because Winnipeg is still "warmer" than Finland.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
This weather-thing is pretty funny because Winnipeg is still "warmer" than Finland.
Haha! Here snowed in the Eastern part of Lapland last week... (totally off-topic, but nevermind)

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
I'm so freaking happy that Chevy went out and got this guy. He's just what we need with age, skill, poise, whatever. He's been around the block a few times and he will be the top dog here in Winnipeg. IMO When Olli was traded to Calgary he was over shadowed by Iggy, and soon after lost his confidence. It's a different game for him now, he's dedicated to his off ice training and more importantly, playing a solid two way game.

I followed the Flames pretty closely before the we got out team back. Olli is not an easy player to play against. (i know i read it somewhere in this thread, but i'll too lazy to go back, find it, and quote it. Someone mentioned that he is a player that most enjoy playing against)

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Winnipeg loves hockey players from Finland, that's for sure!

Would be amazing and a complete dream but still amazing if we got Teemu for a year (even if it was next year, coaxed him back for one final year)

Absolutely amazing. I think Winnipeg would explode if that happened.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Winnipeg loves hockey players from Finland, that's for sure!

Would be amazing and a complete dream but still amazing if we got Teemu for a year (even if it was next year, coaxed him back for one final year)

Absolutely amazing. I think Winnipeg would explode if that happened.
I know we've beaten the Teemu thing to death 'he'll never come here blah blah' but aside from that it would be absolutely perfect if he came here next year. A veteran RW who still has scoring punch, history with the city and is such a class act. So nice to dream.