HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets sign Olli Jokinen (2 years, 4.5M cap hit)

Old
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Congratulations on signing Jokinen, he'll be missed in Calgary.

Please ensure you feed him a Big Mac every now and then, particulary when he's in a scoring slump.

Now that you have Jokinen, you will need to learn how to draw him. Here is an illustration to teach you how to draw Olli Jokinen in four easy steps:

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Conference Call: Olli Jokinen talks about playing for the Winnipeg Jets

Here are some of Jokinen's thoughts from today's Conference Call.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Great signing. Love it. This is EXACTLY the type of signing (along with Ponikarovsky) that I have been preaching about. It's not all about waiting waiting till Kane/Wheeler/Bogosian decide to leaves as UFA, we need to make the right moves now to help them along and make this a place they want to play. This is a great first step. We now have 5 legitimate top 6 forwards, getting close to a real team up front, that is responsible in both ends. Fit the Jets need perfect. So long as I don't have to swallow Kyle Wellwood as a top 6er, I am happy.

So right now we have...

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - ???
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov (this will be a sick forechecking grinding shutdown line, IMO)
Cormier - Slater - Machacek
Miettien - Thorburn

I like. Either Scheifele slots in the #2 C spot with Little moving to a more natural RW (for him IMO) or we go out and sign/trade for another one, but looks good right now. Wish Doan or Selanne would consider coming to WPG for a year, this would be a playoff team for sure.
Only reservation I have about those lines is Jokinen centering a line with Kane. By all accounts, Olli is a shoot-first centre, and I'm not sure he'd be a great fit with a winger like Kane who doesn't distribute the puck efficiently. Ideally, I would like to see a first line of Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler, and then a second line with Kane-(Scheifele/Little)-(Burmistrov/Little/UFA). Wouldn't be totally aghast if that UFA was Kyle Wellwood, although I do agree that he doesn't really belong in the top 6.

We shall see though. Hard to make any grand predictions about line combinations at this point, although I must say that bottom 6 you proposed looks mighty good.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

bowling shoe ugly but a pretty decent hockey player, congrats guys

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Haha, Damien Cox saying like "this is the worst sign of century" on twitter. Unfollowed him. He is true Leafs fanboy, don't get his hate against Jokinen and Jets. (Seems like he blocked me too..)

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Like seriously. Jokinen a good signing by Jets? Does Cheveldayoff have that many pals in the media?

Here is more: http://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin/
Damien Cox is just a complete tool.

This for me, takes the cake:
Quote:
Leaf fans may been many, many things. Easily fooled, perhaps But arrogant they cannot possibly be.
That has to be sarcasm. He cannot possibly believe that.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
bowling shoe ugly
Our dreamboats Wheeler and Bogosian will offset that just fine.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Only reservation I have about those lines is Jokinen centering a line with Kane. By all accounts, Olli is a shoot-first centre, and I'm not sure he'd be a great fit with a winger like Kane who doesn't distribute the puck efficiently. Ideally, I would like to see a first line of Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler, and then a second line with Kane-(Scheifele/Little)-(Burmistrov/Little/UFA). Wouldn't be totally aghast if that UFA was Kyle Wellwood, although I do agree that he doesn't really belong in the top 6.

We shall see though. Hard to make any grand predictions about line combinations at this point, although I must say that bottom 6 you proposed looks mighty good.
If and it is still a big if for this year , Scheifele makes the team , I like him with Kane. A lot.

He is a RH center , has the hockey sense , more natural at distributing the puck and those are traits that will bring the best out in Kane imo. It will also allow the core of this team to grow and develop together.Eventually I like Telegin at RW here , but this year you slide Little over.

That would allow Wheeler and Ladd to play with Jokinen and as many have pointed out , Wheeler would provide the type of winger that should bring out the best in Jokinen.

As you mentioned ,I like the bottom 6 as detailed. I for one am pleased we did not sign Glass , sure the GST was a fun story , a feel good one , but Cormier to me should fill that spot.

This would also allow Burmistrov to play RW and nothing he has shown me to date shows he is better at C , at least right now.

This also allows some good depth players to compete , but one aspect that may be missing is the toughness .Not just dropping the gloves but the constant hitting and agitating. This is why I think Cormier needs a chance to play regularly.

Of course , all conjecture on our part , and Scheifele still has to be considered a less than even chance to make the squad this year , but this is what the off season is for right?

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Our dreamboats Wheeler and Bogosian will offset that just fine.
GQ # 9 , as well .

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
shatner_rules
You're in Trouba

Very happy about this signing. Also, as some recent posters have said, if Scheifele can crack the roster it gives Noel some options such as moving Little to the wing as has been suggested.

shatner_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Gm0ney

I don't think Scheifele can crack the roster. Noel's pretty hard on the kids - Kane, Burmi and even Scheif in his brief tenure, were all in Noel's doghouse at one time or another. Meanwhile, there seems to be no limit to the leeway afforded to veterans - take all the ill-timed penalties in the 3rd you want, Ladd; and what's another defensive gaffe when you're Big Buff? The vets don't get screamed at on the bench, at least... Anyway, it appears that paying your dues is half the battle - and I don't think any of the Jets' rookies have paid enough dues yet...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
cbcwpg

TSN 1290 take on Olli

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/blogs/jets_report/?id=399837

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Team is looking a little stronger heading into this season, but I still cringe when I see people penciling in Ladd on the 1st line.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Team is looking a little stronger heading into this season, but I still cringe when I see people penciling in Ladd on the 1st line.
i hate this statement. it's completely unfounded.

people think ladd's not a legit 1st liner? he is.

28 and 29 goals... that's what a first liner puts up.

People need to check their worth as to what a "first liner" is.

Hint: it's someone who puts up less the 70 pts a season.
60 pts is Above average first line production in the last two seasons.

please check the stats at NHL.com and provide the number of how many players scored 60+ points. its less then 90, which is how many "first liners" their are in the league.

Ladd is an excellent "third wheel" on the first line. He is a garbage man, and he is one of the best. You need guys like that to make room and get the dirty goals for your skilled top liners.

Maybe you don't think he's a star. he's not. go ahead and say that. But don't say he's not a first liner, as he is. He just shouldn't be relied on as your main point getter on the first line. Adding jokinen allows him to be exactly what he needs to be on the first line, the complementary piece, the garbage man.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
You'd have to think Kane-Jokinen-whoever are our new first line. Kane was our leading goal scorer last year and Jokinen was a 1st line center in Calgary. His 61 points would have put him second in scoring on the Jets.

One possible line would be Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler, but do you break up the LLW while? Last season they were way better together than they were apart.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 166
We need an " OLLI - OLLI - OLLI ... Oi! Oi! Oi!" Auzzie Rugby chant going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigglez View Post
I bet he can't wait to hear the "OLLI OLLI OLLI" chants!

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
We need an " OLLI - OLLI - OLLI ... Oi! Oi! Oi!" Auzzie Rugby chant going!
Used to be Welsh, Cornish before that....

Gil Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Quote:

IAW completely, Jokinen needs to be with Ladd, and Little with Kane. We need to see if they're going to sign a top 6 RW before filling in that side of the ice.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Great signing by the jets..in two years Scheifele or Burmistrov might be able to replace Jokinen..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Haha, Damien Cox saying like "this is the worst sign of century" on twitter. Unfollowed him. He is true Leafs fanboy, don't get his hate against Jokinen and Jets. (Seems like he blocked me too..)

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Like seriously. Jokinen a good signing by Jets? Does Cheveldayoff have that many pals in the media?

Here is more: http://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin/
He's right. The Jets are immune to criticism from the Canadian media. After all, Winnipeg is pretty much the media centre of Canada, and you wouldn't want to piss off their fanbase by saying anything negative about their signings. That media ***** Chevy must have slick-talked all of these reporters into lauding this move, what with that cult of personality he's created.

4.5M per season, what a shame. Could've had Mike Komisarek for that price.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Toronto media must be jealous lol

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

So true, the Jets probably get the least attention and respect from the Canadian media.

Anybody watch Sportsnet over the weekend? Their panel did an in depth review of signings by every Canadian team except us. They briefly mentioned the Jets signing Ponikarovsky in between Carkner going to Long Island and Parros going to Florida.

When they talk about Jokinen today, I bet they'll talk ad nauseum about what the Flames are losing as opposed to what the Jets are gaining.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
If the Jets were looking for defensemen maybe, but they need size up front.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Aerial

Quote:
We can still have him for the low low price of Bogosian and a 4th! Get going Chevy!

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
We can still have him for the low low price of Bogosian and a 4th! Get going Chevy!
It's a little more enticing than Kadri/Colborne, Kulemin and a 3rd for Burke's pick of any 5 players on the Jets roster. Nevertheless, I think Chevy should graciously decline.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
GQ # 9 , as well .
LOL we need him to offset Scheifele if he makes the team