HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen Signs with Winnipeg, 2 years, 9 mil.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 11:10 PM
  #26
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
I don't understand the fans on this site. When we didn't make the playoffs we want to make changes and when we do make changes they aren't good enough. Like pick a side and stay on it. So lets wait and see what else is there to happen with the club. It's not like olli was pushing us over the hump. And as for Hudler we won't know if he is a fit or not unless he plays for us. It's that simple.
The only change I wanted was a faceoff guy, a new coach, and a top 4 defensemen, with one being decent at shoot-outs. Feaster couldn't even solve our faceoff problem when several opportunities presented itself.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
  #27
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The only change I wanted was a faceoff guy, a new coach, and a top 4 defensemen, with one being decent at shoot-outs. Feaster couldn't even solve our faceoff problem when several opportunities presented itself.
The only thing he hasnt done on your list is faceoffs. ITS JULY 2ND. Give it time before you judge.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
  #28
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 50
At least he's used to the cold weather

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
  #29
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
At least he's used to the cold weather

It's been in the 30-33C last few day with humididex in the low 40Cs over the past few days in Winnipeg

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:25 PM
  #30
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
I don't understand the fans on this site. When we didn't make the playoffs we want to make changes and when we do make changes they aren't good enough. Like pick a side and stay on it.
When fans were clamouring for change, you realize it was for positive change, not sideways additions. And if fans are saying the changes aren't good enough, maybe it's because, they're not good enough. This isn't a black and white world where any change is automatically going to make the team better.

Quote:
So lets wait and see what else is there to happen with the club. It's not like olli was pushing us over the hump. And as for Hudler we won't know if he is a fit or not unless he plays for us. It's that simple.
I always find it amusing when people say something so wholly irrelevant. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but we just happen to be on an internet message board whose very and perhaps only purpose is to discuss, critique and evaluate the moves made by NHL franchises. This is not the place for blind hip-hip-hurrays, save that for the actual games.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:31 PM
  #31
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
The only thing he hasnt done on your list is faceoffs. ITS JULY 2ND. Give it time before you judge.
That was only my minimum expectations. Feaster missed out on a chance to really make an impact.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
  #32
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,244
vCash: 355
Wow we could of offered him that for sure. Nice job Feaster. You better have a ****ing plan.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
  #33
MonahanTHEMoneyMan
Registered User
 
MonahanTHEMoneyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
I always find it amusing when people say something so wholly irrelevant. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but we just happen to be on an internet message board whose very and perhaps only purpose is to discuss, critique and evaluate the moves made by NHL franchises. This is not the place for blind hip-hip-hurrays, save that for the actual games.
How is my opinion(Key Word) more irrelevant than yours...All I am saying is for people to stop so critical of every move we make. Our team is already being critisized enough by others. We don't need from our own.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
  #34
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,244
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
How is my opinion(Key Word) more irrelevant than yours...All I am saying is for people to stop so critical of every move we make. Our team is already being critisized enough by others. We don't need from our own.
Because we make a lot of bad moves.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
  #35
MonahanTHEMoneyMan
Registered User
 
MonahanTHEMoneyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
When fans were clamouring for change, you realize it was for positive change, not sideways additions. And if fans are saying the changes aren't good enough, maybe it's because, they're not good enough. This isn't a black and white world where any change is automatically going to make the team better.
What makes you so sure that it's a negative change. Once again I ain't the one assess players...but I do have the patience to wait and see what a new addition brings to our club....good or bad. But if it`s a repeat mistake then by all means critisize it.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
  #36
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
How is my opinion(Key Word) more irrelevant than yours...All I am saying is for people to stop so critical of every move we make. Our team is already being critisized enough by others. We don't need from our own.
Did you miss the part where I said 'internet message board whose very and perhaps only purpose is to discuss, critique and evaluate the moves made by NHL franchises'?

You're right, everyone has a right to their opinions. They also have a right to voice them as well. Both negative and positive. But blind cheering serves no purpose, especially on a message board that in no way, shape or form, effects the team. Save that for the games where cheering can actually have an effect on the players.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
  #37
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That was only my minimum expectations. Feaster missed out on a chance to really make an impact.
I guess, yes.. But you really never know in these situations, Maybe Feaster tried to pick up Roy, but wasnt willing to give up a guy like Glenny.. And im not sure he went for Ribs, very good player, but has always had question marks around his attitude, and Feaster is seemingly putting emphasis on character. But, I will reserve my judgement until training camp. There is still dominoes left to tumble..

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
  #38
MonahanTHEMoneyMan
Registered User
 
MonahanTHEMoneyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Because we make a lot of bad moves.
Agreed...But maybe there is bigger picture to this canvas Feaster is trying to paint. We gave Darryl time to put his stamp on the team...So why not Feaster. But one thing for sure he is trying inject winning culture in this team which may help our current core players aswell.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
  #39
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
#unsustainable
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Did you miss the part where I said 'internet message board whose very and perhaps only purpose is to discuss, critique and evaluate the moves made by NHL franchises'?

You're right, everyone has a right to their opinions. They also have a right to voice them as well. Both negative and positive. But blind cheering serves no purpose, especially on a message board that in no way, shape or form, effects the team. Save that for the games where cheering can actually have an effect on the players.
How is "wait and see" equivalent to "blind cheering"?

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
  #40
MonahanTHEMoneyMan
Registered User
 
MonahanTHEMoneyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Did you miss the part where I said 'internet message board whose very and perhaps only purpose is to discuss, critique and evaluate the moves made by NHL franchises'?

You're right, everyone has a right to their opinions. They also have a right to voice them as well. Both negative and positive. But blind cheering serves no purpose, especially on a message board that in no way, shape or form, effects the team. Save that for the games where cheering can actually have an effect on the players.
I am not blind cheering...just optimistic...But I guess you see differently...Ohwell Cheers.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
  #41
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
How is "wait and see" equivalent to "blind cheering"?
Irrelevant post is irrelevant

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
  #42
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,244
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
Agreed...But maybe there is bigger picture to this canvas Feaster is trying to paint. We gave Darryl time to put his stamp on the team...So why not Feaster. But one thing for sure he is trying inject winning culture in this team which may help our current core players aswell.
Because he let an opportunity to acquire a top-6 slip by him 3 times in the past few weeks.

If the C situation here isn't fixed by the time the season starts then I will be convinced that Feaster really has no plan.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:59 PM
  #43
MonahanTHEMoneyMan
Registered User
 
MonahanTHEMoneyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Because he let an opportunity to acquire a top-6 slip by him 3 times in the past few weeks.

If the C situation here isn't fixed by the time the season starts then I will be convinced that Feaster really has no plan.
In order for us to fix that position it might take a miracle or a lot picks/prospects..

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:05 AM
  #44
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
I wish Jokinen luck and wanted him back I am ok with letting him go if
a) we use Stajan or pick up someone like him effectively for faceoffs this means taking ~1000 faceoffs
b) Cammy is used to replace Jokinen if Stajan isn't as he was almost as effective at faceoffs this year
c) I can't stress this one enough Hudler is not a centerman

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
  #45
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 998
I'll miss Jokinen for his Big McMeal's and good play for us. All the best to Olli in the 'Peg, hope he can be as useful for the Jets as he was for us (for most of) last season.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
  #46
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
How is "wait and see" equivalent to "blind cheering"?
If someone's posting on this particular board and discussing the Flames, they most probably are Flame fans. Thus, they will most probably wait and see how any moves the team makes turn out. But, along the way, they might also want to discuss the aptitude of said moves, occasionally even voicing *gasp* negative opinions about their most beloved team.

Saying 'wait and see' is just another way of saying 'don't say anything negative about the move until we see how it turns out.' A fair point in itself, but renders the whole purpose of these boards rather useless. And most annoyingly, should the move turn out to be a poor one, conventional discussion often suggests there's no point in discussing it further, the moves been made and there's nothing that can be done.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
  #47
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
#unsustainable
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
If someone's posting on this particular board and discussing the Flames, they most probably are Flame fans. Thus, they will most probably wait and see how any moves the team makes turn out. But, along the way, they might also want to discuss the aptitude of said moves, occasionally even voicing *gasp* negative opinions about their most beloved team.

Saying 'wait and see' is just another way of saying 'don't say anything negative about the move until we see how it turns out.' A fair point in itself, but renders the whole purpose of these boards rather useless. And most annoyingly, should the move turn out to be a poor one, conventional discussion often suggests there's no point in discussing it further, the moves been made and there's nothing that can be done.
I don't see it as black and white as that. I see three "stances".

Stance #1 - "That move was complete and utter ****, we should prepare for fail."

Stance #2 - "That move was awesome, and I have a massive *****"

Stance #3 - "I don't know how well this will work for us, let us wait and see how it pans out"

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:46 AM
  #48
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
What makes you so sure that it's a negative change. Once again I ain't the one assess players...but I do have the patience to wait and see what a new addition brings to our club....good or bad. But if it`s a repeat mistake then by all means critisize it.
For one, it's an opinion. Secondly, as has been mentioned numerous times around here, the Flames, given their history, don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They've done absolutely nothing that should make one think the moves will likely work out or that Feaster has some sort of hidden plan that will make everything okay in the end.

There's a reason why most of hockey world mocks the Flames and it's not just because they're the Flames. The franchises biggest and most absolute need, going back more than a decade, has been collecting elite talent. Since Fleury, Nieuwendyk, etc, fled for greener pastures, the Flames tried to build around Iginla and later Kiprusoff. It wasn't enough then and it's not enough now. You need elite talent, particularly at the centre position to win in this league.

To compensate for that, the Flames tried to acquire as many secondary and tertiary talents as they could, and sort of win and score by a committee approach. It didn't work in 2006 and it's still not working now. But instead of trying something different, the organization maintains the same approach. They won't pay the price to get elite talent through trade nor will they focus wholly on the draft to ensure they land said talent from there. Nor will elite talents won't sign with a franchise that struggles to make the playoffs. So they turn to free agency to fill the wholes by market value guys, mercenaries whose biggest objective is almost always money. Guys like Stempniak, Wideman and Hudler would be solid additions, even at their current contracts for contending teams. But for a team that's struggling just to make the playoffs, they're very questionable. That's why fans mock the Flames, they keep trying to build around something that can't be built around and refuse to address the most significant of needs, elite talent, especially up the middle.

Now if Feaster attempt to a build a winner turns out well and the Flames go deep into the playoffs and they go on to prove it's not a fluke, then the mocking will probably stop. But I see no reason to give the team the benefit of the doubt until they prove they deserve it.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:49 AM
  #49
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I don't see it as black and white as that. I see three "stances".

Stance #1 - "That move was complete and utter ****, we should prepare for fail."

Stance #2 - "That move was awesome, and I have a massive *****"

Stance #3 - "I don't know how well this will work for us, let us wait and see how it pans out"
Personal opinion but I just find the statement to be entirely pointless. If you're a fan, you will undoubtedly wait to see how the move turns out. Suggesting it seems unnecessary. But in the meanwhile, saying it might be a poor one shouldn't be thought of as unfair.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:57 AM
  #50
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
#unsustainable
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Personal opinion but I just find the statement to be entirely pointless. If you're a fan, you will undoubtedly wait to see how the move turns out. Suggesting it seems unnecessary. But in the meanwhile, saying it might be a poor one shouldn't be thought of as unfair.
Neither should taking a "wait and see" approach. Or "zomg it's teh winzorz yo!" either, for that matter.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.