HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Offseason Thread III (Now with Bonus Offseason!)

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2012, 12:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
They're ****ing billionaires. You don't buy a hockey team expecting to make money.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:37 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
They're ****ing billionaires. You don't buy a hockey team expecting to make money.
I understand the sentiment .... but a large majority of them became billionaires because they didn't make poor business decisions. That means they are all likely at least looking to break even.

That being said, this time more than last time I really am feeling contempt for the owners and specifically Gary Bettman. Last time it was mainly just disgusted with the whole situation and everyone involved.

None of us have all the details, but I'd say the overall picture that is available would seem to indicate a few powerful organizations are tying to pull the strings at the top. Based on the original owners proposal ... they are succeeding and controlling all of the owners.

Hopefully logic prevails and some sort of fair revenue sharing is established. If the owners expect the players to carry the burden of rescuing poor teams again ... this is going to be a long process. There's more than enough money out there to have 30 healthy franchises. The teams just aren't sharing that money in a smart enough way for that to happen.

On the main board and even on Twitter I see some fans attacking players for this mess. One of the big arguments by these fans is that players are greedy for asking for these big contracts. It's pretty clear, at least IMO, that the owners established the current free agent market frenzy and subsequent new free agents are just expecting to get paid the same as the guys before them.

These big teams at the top ... Toronto ... NY Rangers ... again are to blame for 3rd pair defenders making $3+ million. They spend big, make huge mistakes, and then bury those mistakes in the AHL. They don't care about the money. It's sad honestly but not shocking ... they'll burn million's of dollars in the AHL for huge mistakes, but they'll do nothing for the health of the NHL by agreeing to a luxury tax or some other sort of fair revenue sharing.

I don't know if we'll ever see the exact numbers, but it seems like more teams are in trouble right now than they were in 2004. Dallas and New Jersey were giants in the NHL in the late 90's and early 00's. Dallas did go into bankruptcy, and NJ is in a bad way financially. I really don't see how the fat cat owners can logically explain picking up $1+ billion in extra revenue a year and have more teams struggling than before. To be fair though ... Dallas' issue was about poor ownership and greed.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
For big free agents ... the money is the same. Lundqvist is a free agent in 2 years. I just wonder how much the big teams want to fight to stop a logical revenue sharing program. If the players get burned a second time to carry the burden of low income markets I think you could see a backlash.
What do you mean the money is the same? There's a reason the New York Rangers offered Brad Richards that big contract and not Columbus, or Nashville, or or or....The big money teams also have the desirable quality to free agents that they will use more money to put other good players around said free agent.

Mainly I just don't see a grudge being held that would actually tilt a player's decision one way or the other.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Sure Lundqvist could resent James Dolan for his actions, but I think his relationship with Sather/Torts and the city itself would play more into his choice to re-sign rather than the nameless owner of Cablevision who thinks about the Rangers maybe once a year.

I think the Twitter thing was a directive from the NHLPA. I saw lots of other athletes doing it too, not just Henrik. The PR war has obviously begun.

Old
08-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
I understand the sentiment .... but a large majority of them became billionaires because they didn't make poor business decisions. That means they are all likely at least looking to break even
well actually way more often than not they became crazy rich when their old man died, but yes quite often they hire the right sort of people to make decisions for them that end up creating alot of wealth. So in this case they've hired Gary Bettman, an excellent lawyer and negotiator, to do whatever it takes to squeeze every last dime they can get out of the players union.

I hate to say it, but the players need to harden up, grow a backbone, and go on strike for a year or two. The idiots will call it their fault whether they actually stike or the owners lock them out, they can't win the battle for popularity but they can slap the owners around for a bit until they are atleast willing to be more reasonable. If more people showed some solidarity in the face of these rich ****** the world would be an unimagineably better place.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
well actually way more often than not they became crazy rich when their old man died, but yes quite often they hire the right sort of people to make decisions for them that end up creating alot of wealth. So in this case they've hired Gary Bettman, an excellent lawyer and negotiator, to do whatever it takes to squeeze every last dime they can get out of the players union.

I hate to say it, but the players need to harden up, grow a backbone, and go on strike for a year or two. The idiots will call it their fault whether they actually stike or the owners lock them out, they can't win the battle for popularity but they can slap the owners around for a bit until they are atleast willing to be more reasonable. If more people showed some solidarity in the face of these rich ****** the world would be an unimagineably better place.
As much as I would love to see Snider and Jacobs get theirs, the fact remains that the players have a limited career time, and money they don't get paid during a lockout is money they will never make back. Unfortunately it is hard to see the players accepting making no money for an entire year to advance the interests of the future players that will be in direct competition for their jobs.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:49 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post

I'm not sure the sport could survive that, though.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Captain Awesome

Anyone know what happens to the contracts if the lockout goes a full year? For example, is Jagr back to being a UFA or does his contract slide?

Old
08-16-2012, 06:49 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I believe it's decided with the new CBA. Last lockout the contracts did not slide however.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'm not sure the sport could survive that, though.
The sport would survive. The NHL might not...

Old
08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Guys, I have to write a preview about the Stars for a German community. How many points would you give the Stars: 1) offense
2) defense + goalies and finally 3) overall if five points is the best and one the worst. Please compare the points to the other NHL teams and plan with a healthy Derek Roy. My suggestion is: offense 4 pts, defense 3 pts, overall 3,5pts.
Feel free to share your thoughts. :-)

Old
08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Offense - 4 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Overall - 4 pts

Old
08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Offense - 4 pts
Defense - 2 pts
Overall - 3 pts

Old
08-22-2012, 12:20 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Offense - 4 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Overall - 4 pts

Offensive will prove itself obvious. Defense is a 2 but Kari alone adds at least 1 point.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:46 AM
SlobMarley
Rookie User

Trade/Signing rumors

Has anyone gotten any leads on Dallas trades or signings they may have planned?

How likely is it Morrow will get traded?
Do they have a plan to pick up a star blue-liner?
Do they have any interest in signing Doan or any other key FA's?

Any lead/info would be great

-Thanks!

Old
08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobMarley View Post
Has anyone gotten any leads on Dallas trades or signings they may have planned?

How likely is it Morrow will get traded? Not likely at this point. Maybe at the trade deadline though.
Do they have a plan to pick up a star blue-liner? Not to our knowledge, no. GMJN has said he's done this offseason for the most part.
Do they have any interest in signing Doan or any other key FA's?Not really. Top 6 is full, no D stand out.

Any lead/info would be great

-Thanks!
Not much should happen. Answers are bolded.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

DBD did about an hour podcast with Ralph.

http://dallassportsnetwork.tv/2012/0...ds-on-the-bus/
  • Listening to it now, a few minutes in he talks about the roster and how he prefers it, how he's much happier with it now with Morrow in the 3rd line, Fiddler in the 4th etc.
  • Specifically mentioned how Joe went to Ott/Riberio every season in the fall and say "you guys are my leaders, get us into the playoffs." And after 3 seasons of not, he couldn't rely on them anymore.
  • Him talking about the jersey change discussions is fascinating. He mentioned they looked at the history and realized that Dallas's main color has never really been green, its always been a secondary color. And then somehow they got away from that. He also said they realized they're the only team in the league without their logo on the front now, and they didn't really know how that happened. They want to balance tradition as well as creating a Texas identity.
  • And that absolutely everyone hated the Mooterus, even those who designed it lol.
  • Honestly it sounds like they might be thinking more about aligning themselves with the Cowboys and Rangers and move away from the Minnesota heritage. Which makes me scared that they might not being going back to green. Cites that green doesn't sell well with women and in apparel stores. Ralph says we're going to love whatever they do though.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 08-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old
08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
DBD did about an hour podcast with Ralph.

http://dallassportsnetwork.tv/2012/0...ds-on-the-bus/
  • Listening to it now, a few minutes in he talks about the roster and how he prefers it, how he's much happier with it now with Morrow in the 3rd line, Fiddler in the 4th etc.
  • Specifically mentioned how Joe went to Ott/Riberio every season in the fall and say "you guys are my leaders, get us into the playoffs." And after 3 seasons of not, he couldn't rely on them anymore.
  • Him talking about the jersey change discussions is fascinating. He mentioned they looked at the history and realized that Dallas's main color has never really been green, its always been a secondary color. And then somehow they got away from that. He also said they realized they're the only team in the league without their logo on the front now, and they didn't really know how that happened. They want to balance tradition as well as creating a Texas identity.
  • And that absolutely everyone hated the Mooterus, even those who designed it lol.
  • Honestly it sounds like they might be thinking more about aligning themselves with the Cowboys and Rangers and move away from the Minnesota heritage. Which makes me scared that they might not being going back to green. Cites that green doesn't sell well with women and in apparel stores. Ralph says we're going to love whatever they do though.
I felt like Ralph was the one to FINALLY put DBD in their place on the jersey issue. They keep screaming about going back to that Minnesota NS green or just a full green yet that was never the main color? Yet when people try to call them out they lash back. Still...nobody gets more pissy than Heika.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Wait, so does this mean they're going to try blue?

I'm fine with them not going with the original, North Stars-era green, but I was hoping a darker shade of green would still be the key colour.

08-23-2012, 04:39 PM
txomisc

Sure green wasnt the main color when they moved to Dallas but on the Dallas jersey that seems to be most popular green was pretty friggen prominent. I think it would be a bad idea to move away from green because women dont buy it. I'll be pretty damn disappointed if they go with a rangers or cowboys like color scheme.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Sure green wasnt the main color when they moved to Dallas but on the Dallas jersey that seems to be most popular green was pretty friggen prominent. I think it would be a bad idea to move away from green because women dont buy it. I'll be pretty damn disappointed if they go with a rangers or cowboys like color scheme.
I wouldn't mind the red and blue of the Rangers, but I don't want to see Cowboys' blue and silver.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
I wouldn't mind the red and blue of the Rangers, but I don't want to see Cowboys' blue and silver.
We are not the NY Rangers, so no, I don't think a blue/red or blue/silver jersey would be acceptable.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:54 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
We are not the NY Rangers, so no, I don't think a blue/red or blue/silver jersey would be acceptable.
We're not the CBJ either. Rangers don't have a monopoly on red and blue.

BTW ... just in case you weren't clear I was talking about the Texas Rangers (MLB) the direction Ralph suggested the team could go.

I'd still prefer a green jersey, but I think they could make a nice jersey if they change the color scheme completely.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
God...

I hope Ralph is just speculating like Razor was and they don't actually know something. But it figures the Stars would find a way to screw this up.

21 NHL teams wear either red or blue as their primary color... do we really need to be #22?

And why don't women buy green? Is there any sort of explanation for that?

Old
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And why don't women buy green? Is there any sort of explanation for that?
I don't buy it. This isn't exactly higher level market research but I've seen tons of women wearing the Mavs green shirts/jerseys. The Celtics do alright as well. And when did women become the target audience for sports apparel?

Closed Thread