Wild defense pairing as it stands

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
vitogor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy11 View Post
Has anybody heard anything about falk lately? I haven't heard a word since we drafted Dumba.
He signed a one-way contract, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Has anybody heard anything about falk lately? I haven't heard a word since we drafted Dumba.
He got his QO.

Hopefully he will accept.

Old
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Keep saying the Wild are close to a deal, but who knows?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
He signed a one-way contract, if I'm not mistaken.
No, that's Prosser.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
JamesRanger

Falk would be crazy not to accept his QA. Its not like he knocked anybodies socks off with his performance last season.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
Falk would be crazy not to accept his QA. Its not like he knocked anybodies socks off with his performance last season.
No, but he is a 6'5" defenseman who skates well enough for his size. Those are somewhat en vogue in the league at the moment, regardless of his current performance. Remember, they had him on the ice for upwards of 25 minutes at times last season.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:40 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
No, that's Prosser.
Yeah, for some reason I thought Falk was already signed. I think this threw me off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo
Same thing with the blue line. Justin Falk and Nate Prosser will be on one-way deals, but does that mean their jobs are locks if the Wild signs or trades for defensemen this summer or a Jonas Brodin or Matt Dumba impress in training camp?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:42 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
Yeah, for some reason I thought Falk was already signed. I think this threw me off:
If it's something that's getting held up, probably due to what they're going to do with him depending on who / what gets signed.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Sonofjorg

There is always, always injuries. Can't have enough NHL capable players on your roster somewhere, as last year well proved.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

My prediction With Suter:

Suter-Gilbert
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Prosser
Falk

I think Spurgeon gets traded if we sign Suter.

Without any FA

Gilbert - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Stoner - Spurgeon

Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CehNehDeh View Post
scandella - gilbert
stoner - spurgeon
falk - prosser
kampfer

Yikes, even fans with the thickest homer glasses known to man can't be overly thrilled by the lack of experience on the back end.

Suter HAS to be the Wilds priority, not Parise.

Thoughts?
There was a broadcast last year where Warren "First Line Center" Peters of all people was compared greatly to Mikko Koivu. People will find a way to be thrilled.

(But yes, on paper it's an inexperienced lineup that is missing top-end skill.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Nope.

Gopher probably will though...
Always a place in my heart or team for Keith Ballard.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I really want Dumba to make the team. We've been over the whole minutes thing in a different discussion and how fourth line minutes and roles for forward =/= third pair minutes for defensemen.

Suter-Gilbert
Spurgeon-Scandella
Brodin-Dumba

stoner
prosser
falk (no contract yet, right?)

Old
07-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I really want Dumba to make the team. We've been over the whole minutes thing in a different discussion and how fourth line minutes and roles for forward =/= third pair minutes for defensemen.

Suter-Gilbert
Spurgeon-Scandella
Brodin-Dumba

stoner
prosser
falk (no contract yet, right?)
You know I have been really against playing Dumba and Brodin on the same line.... but the more I think about it, the more I think it could work.

#1. These 2 together is a logical pairing down the road. Dumba's aggressive style fits well with Brodin's stay at home instincts. Dumba can be aggressive knowing that Brodin is home. Brodin paired with a scoring defenseman could allow his offensive game to flourish, and he could produce a few more assists.

#2. I don't see Brodin struggling. He has held his own in both the swedish league and international play. He'll be in the spot he belongs. Dumba may cause us to pull our hair out, but with Brodin to bail him out, these 2 could grow into some great chemistry playing together this early in their careers.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
You know I have been really against playing Dumba and Brodin on the same line.... but the more I think about it, the more I think it could work.

#1. These 2 together is a logical pairing down the road. Dumba's aggressive style fits well with Brodin's stay at home instincts. Dumba can be aggressive knowing that Brodin is home. Brodin paired with a scoring defenseman could allow his offensive game to flourish, and he could produce a few more assists.

#2. I don't see Brodin struggling. He has held his own in both the swedish league and international play. He'll be in the spot he belongs. Dumba may cause us to pull our hair out, but with Brodin to bail him out, these 2 could grow into some great chemistry playing together this early in their careers.
Yeah, hopefully they settle somewhere between a rich man's Carlson/Alzner and poor man's Suter/Weber.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
CehNehDeh

Quote:

I'll point out the obvios and say SEL & IntHockey =/= NHL

Flawed thinking. Should it give cause for some optimism? Sure. but it shouldnt be used to base an opinion on.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
MK9

At this point, until the prospects camp & training camp are over I really don't even want to fully entertain the notion of Brodin or Dumba making the team. If they look solid, fine. Then lets see them in a few of the big clubs games. To me it's just way, way too soon to really be penciling these guys in. I know we need the defensive help desperately. But, there are plenty of examples of the former regime ruining prospects. So now that we've finally built up a nice stable of them, I can't see them reverting to what screwed us up for so many years.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Flawed thinking. Should it give cause for some optimism? Sure. but it shouldnt be used to base an opinion on.
CHL =/= NHL and the AHL =/= NHL. Nobody will know anything about anybody until they play in the league, but his play in the World Championships, along with Kronwall and Alfredsson really talking him up, have us very optimistic.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
At this point, until the prospects camp & training camp are over I really don't even want to fully entertain the notion of Brodin or Dumba making the team. If they look solid, fine. Then lets see them in a few of the big clubs games. To me it's just way, way too soon to really be penciling these guys in. I know we need the defensive help desperately. But, there are plenty of examples of the former regime ruining prospects. So now that we've finally built up a nice stable of them, I can't see them reverting to what screwed us up for so many years.
Man, I would love to see the Aeros with all of the guys they're going to get, then add in Brodin, Granlund and Dumba (I know, Squidz, he isn't eligible, but still). That would be such a fun team to watch.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:

I think his game translates very well to the NHL. He's defensively responsible and can match up against the best player on the ice. He may struggle offensively initially, but I don't think he'll have any trouble with his defensive assignments.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
CehNehDeh

Quote:
I think his game translates very well to the NHL. He's defensively responsible and can match up against the best player on the ice. He may struggle offensively initially, but I don't think he'll have any trouble with his defensive assignments.
The speed and skill differential makes it unpredictable dude. As I said, i'd be very optimistic. (What's the point in ever being anything else?) but I would NEVER use sub-par league performance in an argument or to strengthen an opinin about a players ability at the NHL level. As MK9 said, gotta get through the camps and the pre-season to really know where the young guys currently stand.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Man, I would love to see the Aeros with all of the guys they're going to get, then add in Brodin, Granlund and Dumba (I know, Squidz, he isn't eligible, but still). That would be such a fun team to watch.
Absolutely. Be nice if we could get the games broadcast up here.

Quote:
I think he'll be good. But a bad prospects camp & training camp will put a wet blanket on that real quick. Not only for the fan base but for his confidence as well. Just best to temper the excitement a bit until we get to see him up close and on this side of the pond.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:

considering he played international hockey against a bunch of NHLrs, with all (i think) of the defensemen on team sweden being NHL veterans and lauding him as one of their best D, I think i'm okay with starting him in the NHL. He didn't say they were the same thing--but they were certainly more like the NHL than the CHL is in terms of quality of competition and size of the guys you're playing against.

edit: i think Dumba is a long shot, but Brodin is almost certainly in depending on what we do with free agency. He was absolutely better than Scandella overall in camp last year. I can't see how he's regressed and IMO Scandella hasn't progressed much. Contract wise it might not make sense but in terms of readiness there's no doubt Brodin is there.

Last edited by rynryn: 07-02-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Keeptdos

vCash: 140
Quote:
The speed and skill differential makes it unpredictable dude. As I said, i'd be very optimistic. (What's the point in ever being anything else?) but I would NEVER use sub-par league performance in an argument or to strengthen an opinin about a players ability at the NHL level. As MK9 said, gotta get through the camps and the pre-season to really know where the young guys currently stand.
Sub-par league? You are a Canadian alright...

Old
07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
nickschultzfan

Gilbert-Scandella
Stoner-Spurgeon
Kampfer-Falk
Prosser

Send Brodin to the AHL for 30 games and call him up.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM
PuckInTheNards

Our defense as it stands is among the worst in the league. We have to hope that Brodin and Dumba are as good as advertised and that we somehow land Suter. I still haven't given up on Cuma yet, either.

Closed Thread