HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Bergevin is giving him a chance. No reason to, he's beyond terrible... If he plays most of the year I expect we will be drafting high again.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 AM
bib
#believe

Don't think that Gomez didn't hear what Bergy said today.

Gomez is going to come into camp with the mentality that he can be the Habs #1 center. Sit back, and grab the popcorn.

btw, just for kicks, can anyone remember or find any comments Therrien has made regarding Gomez on l'Antichambre? That would be most popcorn worthy.

Last edited by bib: 07-03-2012 at 04:01 AM.
bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:56 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
The fans will show management what to do with Gomez if they don't send him to Hamilton... MB will learn the Mtl market the hard way if he doesn't do what's necessary and it won't be pretty.

If Gomez is the reason why we haven't signed free agents like Jagr or Jokinen... then Molson is really a cheap ass owner.

Please, I refrain myself toward Gomez because people who are defending him are dillusionnal and I thought his days were numbered... if it isn't the case, I'll get really mad.
Dont know why MB has the bullseye on him, its Molson that writes the cheques.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:15 AM
AnAverageHF

With the cap raise being what it is, his contract is no longer quite so crippling so his paycheck vs. his numbers aside the bigger issue I have with keeping him on the team is this:

Where do you play him?

The third line role some are suggesting, centering Bourque and Prust, pretty much guarantees another bad season for Gomez.

We know Gomex isn't a shooter, he isn't going to score many (if any) goals by himself. The rest of the league knows this as well as we saw over the last two years, if he plays with only one decent scoring winger (usually Gio.) they just clog the passing lanes and neutralize the threat.

So the only way to create an environment for Gomez to possibly produce is to play him with two high percentage shooters. So what do you do? experiment with the lines? breakup our only conistant scoring line from last year?

A possibility is MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta, if memory serves, they looked pretty good together before the Chara incident. But that leaves siginificant holes areound the team in terms of providing good wingers for DD or Pleks. Even if we did, I'd rather see them played with in a way to help develop Eller than try to rehabilitate Gomez. Its simply a smarter long term strategy.

If it was up to me, he'd be gone, not that I don't like his personality and he seems to be well liked by the team, good locker room etc...

But I think he's played his way out of here, there just isn't room for him on this team anymore.

AnAverageHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
With the cap raise being what it is, his contract is no longer quite so crippling so his paycheck vs. his numbers aside the bigger issue I have with keeping him on the team is this:

Where do you play him?

The third line role some are suggesting, centering Bourque and Prust, pretty much guarantees another bad season for Gomez.

We know Gomex isn't a shooter, he isn't going to score many (if any) goals by himself. The rest of the league knows this as well as we saw over the last two years, if he plays with only one decent scoring winger (usually Gio.) they just clog the passing lanes and neutralize the threat.

So the only way to create an environment for Gomez to possibly produce is to play him with two high percentage shooters. So what do you do? experiment with the lines? breakup our only conistant scoring line from last year?

A possibility is MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta, if memory serves, they looked pretty good together before the Chara incident. But that leaves siginificant holes areound the team in terms of providing good wingers for DD or Pleks. Even if we did, I'd rather see them played with in a way to help develop Eller than try to rehabilitate Gomez. Its simply a smarter long term strategy.

If it was up to me, he'd be gone, not that I don't like his personality and he seems to be well liked by the team, good locker room etc...

But I think he's played his way out of here, there just isn't room for him on this team anymore.
exactly! Do we decide to give him a roster spot taking one away from Eller, because 3rd line is at best what Gomez can do now. Or do we have a 7.3M $ 13th player?

I guarantee this, if another UFA is signed or a trade for a player with a larger cap hit is made, Gomez will have to pack his bags. Likeliest destination Hamilton, but there may be some budget teams that would make a trade for him to fill some cap space to get to the floor (ya, I know, I am a little heat stroked ).

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:07 AM
RC51

No need yet.
If the NEW cba that will in for next year suddenly has new set of rules on guaranteed contracts ( league wants to out all of them the players want to keep all of it) so what is each team has a 1 player option to dump a contract.
So why pay now before the habs know for sure what the next cba will bring.
So as MB said yesterday "no buyout"
its' Contract cancelled ( new cba ), AHL, Retire, trade, send to Russia, Send Luka Brasi

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Blah blah blah Gomez last chance blah blah blah !

If he plays, he plays, what can you do ?

So many coaches here, it's astounding

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:18 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The less I have to be reminded about that horrific trade, the better.

Get him the **** out of Montreal.

Higgins for Gomez was a bad deal. Adding McDonagh was just..... ugh.
While I think Higgins for Gomer straight up would have been palatable, I concur with your sentiment. The very presence of Gomez reminds us of the horrid trade not to mention albatross contract, weighing us down like an anchor while simultaneously slapping us in the face every brilliant game McDonagh plays.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:22 AM
HockeyF3ind

Give Gomez One Last Chance? (Poll)

Give him one last chance to play or one of the other options?

Please merge this mods, if you think it worthy, with the existing thread. Thought it could use a poll to accentuate the opinion of the boards.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Coldplay
Courage

If all else fails, yes.

If not, no.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
My answer is no.

Plekanec, Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Bourque, Leblanc, White, Armstrong, Prust, Noke, Moen.

Let's just assume MB doesn't bring anyone else in. There are 13 forwards and not one of them Gomez should play ahead of.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
My answer is no.

Plekanec, Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Bourque, Leblanc, White, Armstrong, Prust, Noke, Moen.

Let's just assume MB doesn't bring anyone else in. There are 13 forwards and not one of them Gomez should play ahead of.
I'd play Gomez ahead of Noke, easily. The reward, as slim as it may be there, is still there if he gets his act together. Noke? Not so much.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I'd play Gomez ahead of Noke, easily. The reward, as slim as it may be there, is still there if he gets his act together. Noke? Not so much.
Ok but you have to pick another guy to sit out because dropping Noke still leaves 12.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:34 AM
SeriousHabs

Molson will not accept a demotion for the sake of a demotion. If Bergevin doesn't add salary, there is no reason to send Gomez down as we can currently fit him under the cap.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

I wouldn't mind. We need more offense and I'd rather him as a 3C with Eller or bourque on his wing then Noke being our 4C. It just makes more sense to me. Could be better for the team too and who knows, could bring some offense back to the team.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:49 AM
ALEX GALCHENYUK
Rookie User

no thank you

ALEX GALCHENYUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Don't really have a choice. He's good depth in comparison to what we have at C.

He should be scratched thought. The only ways he should get into the line-up is if a Top-9 C is injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gomez over Noke... really? If we were using Noke as our #2 C, sure. But why go out, grab a bunch of sandpaper, and then use Gomez on the 4th line? It would be utterly stupid, IMO.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Nokelainen - White

Gomez can replace a Top-9 C if they get injured. Good depth, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Gomez between Armstrong and Prust let's see how he feels with those guys on his line.
I don't think he could get less points than last year regardless of linemates.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 07-03-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
The Right Price

He already had his last chance so my answer is no. Bury him.

EDIT) Of course if his salary fits under the cap we keep him as our depth center. But he should get none of the minutes belonging to Eller! None!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Even if we want to give him a chance, there's no place to use him in the line up for him to be useful. Obviously the top 2 center is taken. His only chance is that they put him on the third line center and switch Eller on the wing. That would be extremely stupid though.

He had all the chances in the world last season, remember RC using him on every PP over Eller and AK, even if he was centering our 4th line and playing lile garbage?

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:00 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post

Cheer for, and give my fan money to, another team?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:02 AM
FinnHab

If Gomez dont get his act together, he dont last long in Therriens doghouse. If first 10 games are usual half azzed Gomez-floating, bury his Alaskan ass deep in minors

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post

Blahblah.. I am a puppet. I accept whatever the Habs will do.

This is a hockey board bro. Opinions are allowed.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:04 AM
LeMAD

I doubt that Mr Molson wants to lose $14M for the next two years with Gomez in the minors. The team is sure to suck again this year, so yeah, they'll give Gomez at least another chance.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Kriss E

Let's start by seeing how he performs in camp.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I doubt that Mr Molson wants to lose $14M for the next two years with Gomez in the minors. The team is sure to suck again this year, so yeah, they'll give Gomez at least another chance.
It depends if the Molson are willing to use that money to improve the team but it doesn't like the case though. Doesn't look like Gomez's cap hit will affect/handcuff the team this season... Unless the Molsons want to win this year andgive the moon to either Suter or Parise, then sending Gomez in the minors would be a good option.

Also, its 10M$, not 14$. Him playing with the Habs on the bottom 6 over a rookie, getting 15-20 pts would also be a waste of money though.