HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Jakomyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Gomez Plekanec Gionta.

There I did the fitting. I don't like it.
We could always put together the last line involving Gomez that was actually successful, prior to Pacioretty getting Chara'd:

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Then the trick is who to keep at center in the top 9 out of Desharnais and Eller:

Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Moen

or

Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-Moen

There certainly is room for Gomez in the top 9 if he can start playing well.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

DD's line isn't going to be split unless it fails. You don't fix what's not broken.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Et le But

Quote:
DD's line isn't going to be split unless it fails. You don't fix what's not broken.
Finishing in 15th place isn't broken?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Finishing in 15th place isn't broken?
Non Sequitur

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Strange thing is, I don't think effort is Gomez's issue. The guy still puts in effort and has his wheels. For whatever reason, what he does, just doesn't work anymore. If he does return, one of the assistants should make Gomez his personal project. Kind of like a pitcher who still throws hard, but loses his mechanics.
I think it's mostly concentration and patience that are his problems. The two things I noticed in his games last year is that the talent is there but that often, when gaining the zone (which he's very good at), if the right play doesn't open up right away, he tries to get rid of the puck. Often, that leads to turnovers because he loves those long cross-ice passes. It really looks like he refuses to dump and chase it, maybe he feels it would be a waste since he can actually gain the zone without dumping it. It looks that way to me.

He's a bit of a frisky player at times, which is weird, because he can also get his nose dirty. He's a mystery to me. I've seen him go to the net, yet I've seen him avoid corners like nobody's business.

Another one of his problems is probably nervousness/lack of confidence. He seems like a confident guy off the ice, but when he's on the ice, he looks like he's on his toes. He has so little faith in his shot (which can be alright, he has a few good slap shots to his record during his time here) that he never uses it, but he should remember that his shot doesn't have to beat the goalie: a rebound or a tip in could. That's taking away a big part of what NHL offense is today. He just seems to have very little confidence in himself in general. Try to keep the puck if the play isn't there. Or dump it. Don't just throw it away randomly across the ice, odds are, someone will take it away.

If he's handled well and is determined to stay in the NHL, he has the tools to produce 50ish points. Again, far from his $7M contract, but still serviceable. He'll need to work on his bad habits though. It kind of remind me of how Richard Zednik started having all sorts of bad habits after the McLaren hit. Except in Gomez' case, I'm not sure what sparked it.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
We could always put together the last line involving Gomez that was actually successful, prior to Pacioretty getting Chara'd:

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Then the trick is who to keep at center in the top 9 out of Desharnais and Eller:

Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Moen

or

Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-Moen

Let him play his game somewhere else. He has had lots of opportunities in Montreal. I for one do not want to see him o the powerplay again. Plus his defensive zone coverage and his plus minus suck big time. Do not know how many times last year that he was coasting back or floating around the defensive zone and not involved in the play when we ended up being scored on. Leopards do not change their spots.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

My guess is they try putting him on re-entry waivers, wouldn't be shocked to see a team like NYI take a chance on him at half his salary. Rather just have part of his salary on the cap for 2 years than for 4 years if we bought him out.

He's had his chances and no one works with him, he's impossible to play with since he's all over the place making blind passes. I think we're going to see a big year from Gionta too since he won't be stuck with him for most of the year like he has in the past.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Non Sequitur
Having only one scoring line when said scoring line isn't putting up Sedin-esque numbers means the team is in fact broken.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Ginu

Bergevin is being smart. He's keeping an extra center on as insurance -

a) The CBA may have an amnesty clause. There's no need to deal with it now unless you have to.

b) If the new CBA has a rollback or a team needs to reach the cap floor based on the new terms, he's available.

c) If we deal Eller in a trade for an impact player, we'll need a third line center.

d) If we need the cap space, the flexibility is there to bury him if we need to.

I don't see a reason to make a decision on Gomez yet. Bergevin is patient. You can see he has foresight.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
TennisMenace

If we have a chance to use his cap space for someone who is much more effective, then he must be sent down.
However, if that doesn't happen for whatever reason, then Gomez is merely a 3rd line checker. He is NOT top 6 material.
Several of you seem to want to match Eller with Pleks. Personally I don't think that would work, but what do I know?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
TennisMenace

One more thing about Gomez- he is not a goal scorer. You can't count on him getting more than 10, and that's being very optimistic. So, keep him far away from Pleks do Pleks could have goal scoring wingers to play with.
Should this apply with Eller too?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Ha the Gomez saga!
[.....]
The question are
can Gomez have a role on any team,money aside, ours for example?
can MT find the button that make Gomez go?
On a defensive line, can Gomez be good?If so, how good?
I dunno what the chances are of him capitalizing on a chance in training camp, but of course, since he was not bought out, he should be given the chance in training camp to win a spot.

It should NOT be automatic, however; he must earn it.

If 14 forwards beat him out, off to Hamilton he should go.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I dunno what the chances are of him capitalizing on a chance in training camp, but of course, since he was not bought out, he should be given the chance in training camp to win a spot.

It should NOT be automatic, however; he must earn it.

If 14 forwards beat him out, off to Hamilton he should go.
This is how I see it. If he is still around in September (not traded/bought out), then he'll compete for a spot in camp. I personally find it hard to believe that he won't be among the top 9 forward at camp, let alone the top 14 forwards which he'll need to be to stay with the big club.

Then again, Gomez has proven me wrong in the past... guess we'll have to wait and see! It certainly doesn't look like his cap hit will be causing us any issues this year.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Moen

or

Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-Moen

So Gomez who plays like a scrub and doesn't give his best effort each night gets rewarded with 2 of our best forwards while Plekanec, our best two-way player, most consistent one, gets stuck with a 3rd liner and a lazy ass ???

Gomez is ****, he shouldn't be playing and if he's lucky enough to take planes and live the NHL life instead of riding the buses in the AHL... he should be nothing more than the 13th forward.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
habsfanatics

Unless the cap space is used elsewhere, I have np what so ever with Gomez returning.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So Gomez who plays like a scrub and doesn't give his best effort each night gets rewarded with 2 of our best forwards while Plekanec, our best two-way player, most consistent one, gets stuck with a 3rd liner and a lazy ass ???

Gomez is ****, he shouldn't be playing and if he's lucky enough to take planes and live the NHL life instead of riding the buses in the AHL... he should be nothing more than the 13th forward.
I'm not saying he should be there if he's playing like ****, I think if he comes to camp and plays well, which is completely possible, then he can find himself a spot in the top 9. Everyone is saying he shouldn't even come to camp or should automatically be kicked off the team or something. All I'm saying is it looks like he'll be around at camp. If he is, there's a chance he can regain some of his old form and be at least serviceable in the top 9.

If he has an awful training camp or plays like crap out of the gate, I'm not suggesting he stay in the lineup.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Unless the cap space is used elsewhere, I have np what so ever with Gomez returning.
This.

People are blinded by his cap hit and the awful trade. The guy is an NHLer, I see his future as a good defensive forward. Like him or not, he'll be back unless we need the cap space to do something of significance. Why would we bury him if we don't need the cap space? Just because?

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
niftymove

Gomez is a mistake, u don't give another chance to a mistake!

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
llamateizer

in a perfect world, Gomez would've been sent to AHL.
however, i think he'll get a chance again

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
Gomez is a mistake, u don't give another chance to a mistake!
If he makes the team better, you play him. If he doesn't, you don't. Its really that simple. Just because he's been awful for 2 years, doesn't mean he'll necessarily be awful this year.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
This.

People are blinded by his cap hit and the awful trade. The guy is an NHLer, I see his future as a good defensive forward. Like him or not, he'll be back unless we need the cap space to do something of significance. Why would we bury him if we don't need the cap space? Just because?
Blinded by his stats actually. He has 21 career goals in Montreal. Fair enough he isnt a scorer. But 21? C mon. Theres no spot for him. Hes not a 4 th line centre and his for sure not a top 6 guy anymore. SO i guess he will take over Ellers spot. Thats plain stupid. If he returns to Montreal its because Molson said so, not Bergevin. No GM in the league would want this guy on their team with a 7.3 cap hit. This is all up to Molson considering he gives you nothing on the ice. Lets not forget he did go a year without scoring. Good idea bring him back!

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Blinded by his stats actually. He has 21 career goals in Montreal. Fair enough he isnt a scorer. But 21? C mon. Theres no spot for him. Hes not a 4 th line centre and his for sure not a top 6 guy anymore. SO i guess he will take over Ellers spot. Thats plain stupid. If he returns to Montreal its because Molson said so, not Bergevin. No GM in the league would want this guy on their team with a 7.3 cap hit. This is all up to Molson considering he gives you nothing on the ice. Lets not forget he did go a year without scoring. Good idea bring him back!
Who says he needs to play C?

And why bring cap space into the equation? We don't need any. And if we do, there's no doubt he'll be the odd man out but at this point I don't see a problem using him as a defensive forward and playing him on the PK. Maybe let him take Pleks spot so that he can spend more time 5 on 5 and on the PP. Would you take Gomez on a 1M cap hit? I would, and that's why Bergevin, who has no bias, sees him as an NHLer and as a guy who can help our team, even if just a little.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Zorba

Quote:

And why bring cap space into the equation? We don't need any. And if we do, there's no doubt he'll be the odd man out but at this point I don't see a problem using him as a defensive forward and playing him on the PK. Maybe let him take Pleks spot so that he can spend more time 5 on 5 and on the PP. Would you take Gomez on a 1M cap hit? I would, and that's why Bergevin, who has no bias, sees him as an NHLer and as a guy who can help our team, even if just a little.
But its not a 1m cap hit. Its 7.3. Gomez has had all the chances in the world to produce and he has failed. Its time to close the chapter on this guy. Its bad enough watching McDonagh become a star but its worse watching Gomez do absolutely nothing on the ice. Its time to to get him off the books. I dont know the man and Im sure hes a great guy but on the ice he god awful and brings nothing to the team. Again this is Molsons decision .

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, he makes 7.3million (cap hit only, not actual salary). All that matters is that he would defintely be one of the top 12 forwards on this team, no questions about it, most likely top 9.

I think Gomez can bounce back and contribute 45-50 points. I think MB is going to give him a shot unless he sees a deal he can't refuse and needs the capspace.

People see 15th place and their immediate reaction is to panic and make stupid long term decisions, MB is approaching this exactly how he should.

There is no need to over react, with 50-60 games from Markov and hopefully a full year from Gionta, we are a playoff team as we stand now. I have no doubts about it.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Yup, but on the flip side if Palushaj looks better than Gomez he should be in the line up.

Or Geoffrion.

I have faith the new coaching staff will do that though.

People are being ridiculous though, if the option is the Habs having 7 million in empty cap space and Gomez in the minors or Gomez in the NHL why the hell is him in the AHL the good move to make?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote