HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
  #151
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
But its not a 1m cap hit. Its 7.3. Gomez has had all the chances in the world to produce and he has failed. Its time to close the chapter on this guy. Its bad enough watching McDonagh become a star but its worse watching Gomez do absolutely nothing on the ice. Its time to to get him off the books. I dont know the man and Im sure hes a great guy but on the ice he god awful and brings nothing to the team. Again this is Molsons decision .
Again, why is his cap hit important if we don't need cap space?

Yeah the trade was ****. And yeah he has no business in the top 6, on the PP, or even as a centerman at this point. He won't be producing anytime soon and the sooner people realize this the sooner we can focus on what he does bring to the team.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
  #152
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
No. I personally gave him his last chance last year. I truly believed that he would bounce back. Enough is enough.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  #153
baldrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Doesn't matter what the fans think, Gomez is staying. Puts Prust's contract into perspective.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
  #154
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Yup, but on the flip side if Palushaj looks better than Gomez he should be in the line up.

Or Geoffrion.

I have faith the new coaching staff will do that though.

People are being ridiculous though, if the option is the Habs having 7 million in empty cap space and Gomez in the minors or Gomez in the NHL why the hell is him in the AHL the good move to make?
If someone beats him out of a roster spot you won't hear any complaining from me.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
  #155
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis
 
Chris Pronger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 400
I'd give him one last chance at 500K a year

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
  #156
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Yup, but on the flip side if Palushaj looks better than Gomez he should be in the line up.

Or Geoffrion.

I have faith the new coaching staff will do that though.

People are being ridiculous though, if the option is the Habs having 7 million in empty cap space and Gomez in the minors or Gomez in the NHL why the hell is him in the AHL the good move to make?
for sure.
If a player can take his spot, then yes, go for it

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
  #157
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
If someone beats him out of a roster spot you won't hear any complaining from me.
Same, I think only guy with a realistic shot is leblanc but even then, the presence of a two-way contract for Gallagher, Leblanc, etc... gives the situation of flexibility where they may still give Gomez an extended stay as leblanc and company may be promoted at any time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
  #158
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
I can't believe people hate a hockey player so much. He doesn't really lack effort, he skates hard.. his offensive skills have for some reason just dried up. Gomez is a pretty cool guy, he's just paid a lot of money and we're stuck with it. If he's still on the team, I'll support him. It's a neverending circle of **** when you boo a player who lacks confidence and obviously knows he's not playing up to par. He's more aware of his game than any fan. Shame about the contract but he's a way better fourth line centre than Nokelainen.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
  #159
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,138
vCash: 500
The way Bergevin is talking I expect Gomez, Gionta and Bourque to be our 2nd line for the next year and a half, at least. His chat yesterday has given me no confidence that anything else will happen.

I expect Pleks to be traded soon enough, unfortunately.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #160
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The way Bergevin is talking I expect Gomez, Gionta and Bourque to be our 2nd line for the next year and a half, at least. His chat yesterday has given me no confidence that anything else will happen.

I expect Pleks to be traded soon enough, unfortunately.
no,your senses are wrong (hope so)

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
  #161
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,162
vCash: 500
Well the guy is signed. So he will have preseason to make amends. Though people should remember he had a good preseason last year. So he not only need to be good. He needs to be incredible. But in the end, the best 4 C will win.

One thing you have to hope is that Eller shines a lot at C. 'Cause if not, he's moving on the wings to make room for Gomez.

The "other" possibilility build on long term is that Plekanec is indeed traded, let say in package for a guy like Bobby Ryan and you then have Gomez centering that 2nd line yet again, until you found something better. One guy that might rides the AHL bus next year might very well be Bourque if a scenario like that happen....

Yet, when I say 2nd line for Gomez....if Eller pans out offensively this year...Eller moves in the 2nd line...Gomez in the 3rd with some PK assignements.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
  #162
Ashley
Registered User
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
What else other option is there? No team will take his contract and it doesn't seem like they're willing to buy him out.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
  #163
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The way Bergevin is talking I expect Gomez, Gionta and Bourque to be our 2nd line for the next year and a half, at least. His chat yesterday has given me no confidence that anything else will happen.

I expect Pleks to be traded soon enough, unfortunately.
Where on earth did you hear that in his presser? For one thing, if you trade PLeks youre getting a a hell of a return for him. Oh and another thing, there no chance in hell , the Pleks gets traded and Gomez stays. The boos will rain down at the bell centre when Gomez isnt producing.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
  #164
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
I would personally try to get the most of Gomez, whether to improve his value to trade to a team willing to absorb 1.5 seasons of his caphit or to help our own team


Desharnais Pleks Cole
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Bourque Eller Moen
Prust White Armstrongs

Noke

Emelin Subban
Markov Gorges
Kabs/Boull Diaz

Price
Buddha

I am content with this and believe it's best for the habs and for Gomez as well.


Pacioretty can most definitely produce with anyone. I think it could potentially give Gomez a boost and he has long standing chemistry with gio. Move Des to pleks and Coles wing to help diversify the attack.

Have Bourque Eller Moen as a potential shutdown/semi point producing line and the 4th line to create energy/disturb and build momentum/pk ect to free pleks up a bit offensiely, if we can insulate pleks a bit and help alleviate his pk role a bit, he can become a 70-80 point producer under the right circumstances. I beleive you can get similar production for lesser players on the pk. The pk is mostly system, with the right coaching staff, we'll be 100% ok there. I'm not saying to eliminate pleks minutes there, but reduce his role to 2nd pk or something.

I think the lines are the most balanced we are going to get. I love it tbh.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  #165
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
In a weird way, the difference between what Gomez will actually make in salary (5.5m this season and 4.5m next) and cap hit (7.4m) might make him attactive to teams needing to get to a higher cap floor. Even after signing Weber and possibly retaining Suter, the Predators are going to need cap salary. Poile might be interested in Gomez to "balance" the books. Gomez and Diaz for Gabriel Bourque?

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  #166
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
In a weird way, the difference between what Gomez will actually make in salary (5.5m this season and 4.5m next) and cap hit (7.4m) might make him attactive to teams needing to get to a higher cap floor. Even after signing Weber and possibly retaining Suter, the Predators are going to need cap salary. Poile might be interested in Gomez to "balance" the books. Gomez and Diaz for Gabriel Bourque?
Interesting spin 24. Being Paid 2 mill less does sound better, but even still, 5.5 mill for 1 goal! Yikes!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
  #167
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
What a total waste of space and disease in the locker room. Do we really want this guy interracting with the younger more impressionable players on the team?

Bury him as deep as he can go and never look back.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  #168
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
In a weird way, the difference between what Gomez will actually make in salary (5.5m this season and 4.5m next) and cap hit (7.4m) might make him attactive to teams needing to get to a higher cap floor. Even after signing Weber and possibly retaining Suter, the Predators are going to need cap salary. Poile might be interested in Gomez to "balance" the books. Gomez and Diaz for Gabriel Bourque?
I believe this is a myth. Any gm can offer large amounts of money to 2nd/3rd tier players out of free agency that are still producing somewhat, I don't see anyone paying gomez 5.5 million when they can sign a better player for the same price.

There are only 3 scenarios.

We play him and give him an opportuinty to succeed ( habs are better if this is the case).

We play him on the 4th line and give him very little chance of success (hurts the habs in this case).

Send him to the minors whether we need the cap space or not (doesn't help the habs one bit unless the cap space gomez represents is spent) I don't believe we're a better team by just subtracting him because a few lunatic fans want him to be gone without using the money on something else.

So, in the end, if you see an opportunity to improve the roster, by all means, bury him, if not, we're much better off with him on the NHL roster.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  #169
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I would personally try to get the most of Gomez, whether to improve his value to trade to a team willing to absorb 1.5 seasons of his caphit or to help our own team


Desharnais Pleks Cole
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Bourque Eller Moen
Prust White Armstrongs

Noke

Emelin Subban
Markov Gorges
Kabs/Boull Diaz

Price
Buddha

I am content with this and believe it's best for the habs and for Gomez as well.


Pacioretty can most definitely produce with anyone. I think it could potentially give Gomez a boost and he has long standing chemistry with gio. Move Des to pleks and Coles wing to help diversify the attack.

Have Bourque Eller Moen as a potential shutdown/semi point producing line and the 4th line to create energy/disturb and build momentum/pk ect to free pleks up a bit offensiely, if we can insulate pleks a bit and help alleviate his pk role a bit, he can become a 70-80 point producer under the right circumstances. I beleive you can get similar production for lesser players on the pk. The pk is mostly system, with the right coaching staff, we'll be 100% ok there. I'm not saying to eliminate pleks minutes there, but reduce his role to 2nd pk or something.

I think the lines are the most balanced we are going to get. I love it tbh.
Who gives rats behind whats best for Gomez. THe guy collected close to 22 million over the last 3 seasons for the whopping total 108 pts in 196 games and only 21 goals . I personally dont care whats best for Gomez, whats best for the team is him not on it.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  #170
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
What a total waste of space and disease in the locker room. Do we really want this guy interracting with the younger more impressionable players on the team?

Bury him as deep as he can go and never look back.
Do you have anything to back up either of those remarks?

He's SURELY a waste of space...no one will ever argue that.

But, the other stuff?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
  #171
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Do you have anything to back up either of those remarks?

He's SURELY a waste of space...no one will ever argue that.

But, the other stuff?
Agreed, even as a NON gomez guy, he has never been a disease in the locker room, just on the ice

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
  #172
Help
Send help
 
Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HELP HELP HELP
Posts: 5,135
vCash: 50
I think putting Gomez back with Pacioretty and Gionta could work. It was working until Pacioretty had his head taken off, I see no reason why it wouldn't work again. Sad as it is to say, we need him to produce if we want to succeed next year.

Ideally I'd like to see him in Hamilton, or Europe, or retired, but if none of that comes to be then between Pacioretty and Gionta would be the next best thing. Who knows, maybe New Jersey's Gomez is hiding deep down inside of him

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  #173
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Who gives rats behind whats best for Gomez. THe guy collected close to 22 million over the last 3 seasons for the whopping total 108 pts in 196 games and only 21 goals . I personally dont care whats best for Gomez, whats best for the team is him not on it.
Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't make it so. Gomez can help the habs, no doubt about it.

The whole team was a mess last year and Gomez came off a struggling season, I'd lay money on him returning to 50 points.


You in?

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
  #174
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't make it so. Gomez can help the habs, no doubt about it.

The whole team was a mess last year and Gomez came off a struggling season, I'd lay money on him returning to 50 points.


You in?
you mean a bet? is that what youre saying?

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
  #175
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
What a total waste of space and disease in the locker room. Do we really want this guy interracting with the younger more impressionable players on the team?

Bury him as deep as he can go and never look back.
By all accounts he's a great guy to be around. Where is this disease talk coming from?

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.