HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Youpi ki yay

vCash: 500
Play the heck out of him for the first 10 games. Double shift him with different wingers.

After 10 games if he has only a few points demote to AHL, and go with some of the proposed lineups without Gomer.

If he's close to a point per game or better his stock might rise slightly enough to be trade bait.

Youpi ki yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Repeating the same nonsense over and over doesn't make it so. Gomez can help the habs, no doubt about it.

The whole team was a mess last year and Gomez came off a struggling season, I'd lay money on him returning to 50 points.

You in?
I'm not a blind Gomez hater, I want him on the team, but there's no way the dude is hitting 50 points lol.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
you mean a bet? is that what youre saying?
An avatar bet. If Gomez plays for the habs this year and doesn't get 50 points. I'll put up whatever you want.

If he gets 50, you put on my Gomez is the man one?

plus 500$ in vcash for ***** and giggles.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Darz

Quote:
I would personally try to get the most of Gomez, whether to improve his value to trade to a team willing to absorb 1.5 seasons of his caphit or to help our own team

Desharnais Pleks Cole
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Bourque Eller Moen
Prust White Armstrongs

Noke

Emelin Subban
Markov Gorges
Kabs/Boull Diaz

Price
Buddha
I agree, this would be the only way to really give Gomez another chance. Having him centre a third/fourth line makes no sense.

With that being said, I'm not sure I want to see him in the habs lineup again....he would have to come into camp is absolutely perfect shape, and show that he has made adjustments in the style of game he is willing to play. His playmaking will always be a plus, but he would have to show that he could also go to the dirty areas, and become a much harder player for opponents to play again (ie play a much better defensive/checking game).

I ain't holding my breathe

07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
I'm not a blind Gomez hater, I want him on the team, but there's no way the dude is hitting 50 points lol.
Not on the 4th line, I don't believe that's where he'll be used. I think he'll score 50points in the right situation.

I don't believe our management this time around is as incompetent as the last group. I don't expect Gomez to rot on the 4th line with ECHLers. I expect a concerted effort to get the best out of him if they keep him.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Zorba

Quote:
An avatar bet. If Gomez plays for the habs this year and doesn't get 50 points. I'll put up whatever you want.

If he gets 50, you put on my Gomez is the man one?

plus 500$ in vcash for ***** and giggles.
an avatar bet , i was thinking more like you make a donation to BC Childrens Hospital. Ill take any bet you have

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
an avatar bet , i was thinking more like you make a donation to BC Childrens Hospital. Ill take any bet you have
Well, I'm trying to limit it to something realistic and achievable, I could bet you a million dollars too, but there's a good chance win or lose, you'll never get paid.

It's only meant for fun and a reason to cheer him on a bit more.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Well, I'm trying to limit it to something realistic and achievable, I could bet you a million dollars too, but there's a good chance win or lose, you'll never get paid.

It's only meant for fun and a reason to cheer him on a bit more.
Ill bet you he doesnt play one game in Montreal this year.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Deal.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Because he'd be better there.

He sucks at D , he has literally no understanding of the game.

Putting him on the wing would take defensive pressure.
Said by someone who obviously NEVER played on the wing at a high level. How often do you hear commentators saying how important it is for wingers to check their defenseman in the defensive zone as well as covering the high slot area ? Usually when there's a guy open there, the winger isn't doing his task defensively. This is as important as playing a centerman's job down low and in front of the net. Also, does it manke sense if I tell you you need to be stronger physically to dominate on the wing ? Not exactly an asset of DD. DD's weakness is his lack of power, he gets outmuscled by stronger players. Hardly anything with 'not understanding the game' LAWL. DD has probably the highest hockey IQ of the Habs. Imagine being that short guy playing with giants, he must be outthinking them ALL THE TIME.

You know, DD is good at many things, and these things he's good at would never translate well when playing on the wing. Let me explain :

- He is good at slowing down the play and let his teammates set up for a pass. Usually he controls the puck entering the offensive zone, much easier to set up your offense giving the puck to your centerman out of your defensive zone and or to the offensive zone. Wingers have, naturally, less time with the puck on their sticks than centers, centers are much more suited for dictating the play. How weird was it when Tanguay was the playmaker on the wing for the Habs ? With a playmaker playing on the wing, you need a scoring / shooting center (like Eller maybe ?). Parenteau, Tanguay are both playmakers playing on the wing, both succeeded playing with 2 goal scorers. I can't see Gomez or Plekanec being labelled 'goal scorer', one is a playmaker the other has an enigmatic offensive style (Plek). FYI, the only player that ever had chemistry with Plek is Kovalev (sadly). And Kovalev always been an enigma himself.

- When you play on the wing, you can be sure you're gonna get checked hard multiple times per games. This is why Brian Gionta can't buy a healthy season. This is why Cammaleri was also, always injured. Small, soft players usually get hurt when they play on the wing. Imagine you have a big mean gigantic D in front of you, pinching as you receive a suicide pass ? You know the opposition would just say 'pinch on DD, he's small and soft, he's slow, etc.'

- DD is good at faceoffs.

- ???????????????? So you really wanna promote Gomez and demote DD ? WTF

Last edited by SmurfsFTW: 07-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Teamwork

As much as I like Plekanec, I say we trade him for a top 6 winger and make him play with Gomez or Eller. Bobby Ryan would be an interesting option. I think it would be a great idea as once Gomez's contract ends, Galchenyuk will be close to make it in the big club and play with the acquired top 6 winger.

Is this a good idea?

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Said by someone who obviously NEVER played on the wing at a high level. How often do you hear commentators saying how important it is for wingers to check their defenseman in the defensive zone as well as covering the high slot area ? Usually when there's a guy open there, the winger isn't doing his task defensively. This is as important as playing a centerman's job down low and in front of the net. Also, does it manke sense if I tell you you need to be stronger physically to dominate on the wing ? Not exactly an asset of DD. DD's weakness is his lack of power, he gets outmuscled by stronger players. Hardly anything with 'not understanding the game' LAWL. DD has probably the highest hockey IQ of the Habs. Imagine being that short guy playing with giants, he must be outthinking them ALL THE TIME.

You know, DD is good at many things, and these things he's good at would never translate well when playing on the wing. Let me explain :

- He is good at slowing down the play and let his teammates set up for a pass. Usually he controls the puck entering the offensive zone, much easier to set up your offense giving the puck to your centerman out of your defensive zone and or to the offensive zone. A winger has, naturally, less time with the puck on their sticks than centers, centers are much more suited for dictating the play. How weird was it when Tanguay was the playmaker on the wing for the Habs ? With a playmaker playing on the wing, you need a scoring / shooting center (like Eller maybe ?).

- When you play on the wing, you can be sure you're gonna get checked hard multiple times per games. This is why Brian Gionta can't buy a healthy season. This is why Cammaleri was also, always injured. Small, soft players usually get hurt when they play on the wing. Imagine you have a big mean gigantic D in front of you, pinching as you receive a suicide pass ?

This is why I wonder how good Louie would be on the wing. He seems too small and would be bullied by most.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post

- He is good at slowing down the play and let his teammates set up for a pass. Usually he controls the puck entering the offensive zone, much easier to set up your offense giving the puck to your centerman out of your defensive zone and or to the offensive zone. Wingers have, naturally, less time with the puck on their sticks than centers, centers are much more suited for dictating the play. How weird was it when Tanguay was the playmaker on the wing for the Habs ? With a playmaker playing on the wing, you need a scoring / shooting center (like Eller maybe ?). Parenteau, Tanguay are both playmakers playing on the wing, both succeeded playing with 2 goal scorers. I can't see Gomez or Plekanec being labelled 'goal scorer', one is a playmaker the other has an enigmatic offensive style (Plek). FYI, the only player that ever had chemistry with Plek is Kovalev (sadly). And Kovalev always been an enigma himself.

- When you play on the wing, you can be sure you're gonna get checked hard multiple times per games. This is why Brian Gionta can't buy a healthy season. This is why Cammaleri was also, always injured. Small, soft players usually get hurt when they play on the wing. Imagine you have a big mean gigantic D in front of you, pinching as you receive a suicide pass ? You know the opposition would just say 'pinch on DD, he's small and soft, he's slow, etc.'

Said by someone who obviously NEVER played CENTER at a high level!

Tell me.. In the defensive zone, who's job is it to check the 3rd forward? Who's job is it to help his defense battle for a puck in the corners? Things that DD absolutely can't do.

Enough with the elite vision and IQ talk, half his points last year mistakingly deflected off his face or some other random body part.

And btw, he sucks at faceoffs too!

I've never seen such an overrated player in my life. Let's see if he can produce with anyone not named Cole or Paccioretty.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Are we chatting about the guy who keeps on telling the right words while failing (despite low quality of competition and numerous offensive zone starts) to deliver?

-------------------
Gainey's legacy: sending McDonagh away to replace Koivu by Gomez.
-------------------

Gomez out; the guy keeps on telling the right words but fails on delivering. The sooner he leaves Montreal, the better we are. That being mentioned, Gomez seems to be a good guy; should we blame him because Gainey was brain dead enough to acquire him?

=>

Bob "Brain dead" Gainey out of Montreal: Yeah!
Gomez out of Montreal: I wish!

PS

Fans' tolerance; Bourque vs Gomez?

I expect more, a lot more (I liked his shutdown line effort he pulled at season's end with Plekanec and Darche) from Bourque (alongside Desharnais and Cole in 2012-13... I dare you to float alongside those two!) than from Gomez.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I will take bets that Gomez doesn't score 50 points. That's like guaranteed win.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Said by someone who obviously NEVER played CENTER at a high level!

Tell me.. In the defensive zone, who's job is it to check the 3rd forward? Who's job is it to help his defense battle for a puck in the corners? Things that DD absolutely can't do.

Enough with the elite vision and IQ talk, half his points last year mistakingly deflected off his face or some other random body part.

And btw, he sucks at faceoffs too!

I've never seen such an overrated player in my life. Let's see if he can produce with anyone not named Cole or Paccioretty.
DD might not be the strongest defensive centerman, but he was +10 on a terrible team last year, and the year before he was only -3 playing on the bottom 6, putting up 22 points in 43 games with anyone not named Cole or Paccioretty.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I hope Gomez never plays another game for le Club de Hockey Canadien. He's a disgrace and more importantly, he's done. If this is really the start of a new era, then Gomez needs to gtfo.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I'd give him another chance. What do you have to lose really?

Pleks, LL, and Tinordi for Ryan.

Try:
Gionta - Gomez - Ryan
Pacs-DD-Cole
Bourque - Eller - Prust
Moen - White - Armstrong

If Gomez isn't playing very well, drop to third line, promote Eller. If he sucks balls, down to the Bulldogs.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

Try:
Gionta - Gomez - Ryan
Pacs-DD-Cole
Bourque - Eller - Prust
Moen - White - Armstrong

If Gomez isn't playing very well, drop to third line, promote Eller. If he sucks balls, down to the Bulldogs.
Wow... Gomez as a first line C eh?

... really? Maybe you are chatting about the AHL?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

Try:
Gionta - Gomez - Ryan
Pacs-DD-Cole
Bourque - Eller - Prust
Moen - White - Armstrong

Dude that's way too much to trade for Ryan. Plekanec is a standup guy who if he wasn't on the Habs would be a darling on these boards... if he was a Red Wing or a Penguin? Man, he would be considered twice the player. Yet we all want to give him away. The reason DD is so successful is because he has Plekanec playing on the other line with scrubs to deal with the other teams. And what do we want Eller to turn into? The new Plekanec, right? The best way to have that happen is to not trade Plekanec.

Trading Plekanec this year when we're trying to develop Eller would be like trading Erik Cole last year when we're trying to have him work with Pacioretty.

I especially wouldn't trade our best forward for a guy from Anaheim who spends most of his time whining on twitter and can't even help propel a team with Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne into the playoffs.

Edit: But I like the way you don't completely discard Gomez. If he's here I kind of want to see him on an all American veteran line with Cole and Gio

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Kjell Dahlin

They voted yes:

BaseballCoach, Bleeker, bobsURuncle, Boostguy, Brockoli, Bulldozer, Captain Smurf, chewBACHa, Coldplay, davedave, fufonzo, Galchenyuk94, gunners14henry, Habs Junkie, Habsrule, Jigger77, JMMR, Joe Lamb, Junior Apples, otto bond, ourobouros, phoque taupe, Pierre Dagenais, sebi, Teamwork, the gazur voit, Top Corner2, Watsatheo, WHY LIE GUY

It is mindboggling imo.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Dude that's way too much to trade for Ryan. Plekanec is a standup guy who if he wasn't on the Habs would be a darling on these boards... if he was a Red Wing or a Penguin? Man, he would be considered twice the player. Yet we all want to give him away. The reason DD is so successful is because he has Plekanec playing on the other line with scrubs to deal with the other teams. And what do we want Eller to turn into? The new Plekanec, right? The best way to have that happen is to not trade Plekanec.

Trading Plekanec this year when we're trying to develop Eller would be like trading Erik Cole last year when we're trying to have him work with Pacioretty.

I especially wouldn't trade our best forward for a guy from Anaheim who spends most of his time whining on twitter and can't even help propel a team with Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne into the playoffs.

Edit: But I like the way you don't completely discard Gomez. If he's here I kind of want to see him on an all American veteran line with Cole and Gio
Honestly - Plekanec and Pacioretty are my two favorite Habs.
I've loved Plek's game since he was with the Dogs. I'm not wanting to get rid of Pleks because I don't want him; I just think that this team could benefit more by having an elite scoring winger in Ryan (who's signed for a while still at a very good salary).

With the emergence of DD and Eller coming into his own, I think we have the centre depth to mitigate the loss of Plekanec as well. That's not even taking Gomez into consideration.

As for the comment about Gomez being 1st line C, that would be for the first two weeks to see if he can hack it (plus that's more of a 1A/1B tandem). If he's given that opportunity and still sucks, he can get demoted to 3rd line or the AHL for all I care and Eller should be able to step in.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
The Doors

Here's some whacky lineups. One with Gomez, one without Gomez.

Cole - Plekanec - Gionta
Max Pac - Desharnais - Leblanc
Bourque - Eller - Moen
Prust - White - Armstrong

or

Cole - Plekanec - Gionta
Max Pac - Eller - Desharnais
Bourque - Gomez - Moen

or, trade for Havlat if the Sharks get Nash.

Cole - Plekanec - Havlat
Max Pac - Eller - Desharnais
Moen - Gomez - Gionta

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
They voted yes:

BaseballCoach, Bleeker, bobsURuncle, Boostguy, Brockoli, Bulldozer, Captain Smurf, chewBACHa, Coldplay, davedave, fufonzo, Galchenyuk94, gunners14henry, Habs Junkie, Habsrule, Jigger77, JMMR, Joe Lamb, Junior Apples, otto bond, ourobouros, phoque taupe, Pierre Dagenais, sebi, Teamwork, the gazur voit, Top Corner2, Watsatheo, WHY LIE GUY

It is mindboggling imo.
Why is it so mindboggling? I don't think anyone is saying 'hand him ice time for free'. People just recognize that he still has a contract, will likely not be bought out or sent to the minors, and could very well be a top 9 or at least top 12 forward on the team. If he is playing like one of the top 12 forwards on the team, then he will be dressed, period. It doesn't matter what his cap hit is, or his salary, or how awful he's been the past two years. If he earns a spot, he'll play. If he can't earn a spot, or loses his spot to a younger player, then he can sit. That's all.

Its time to forget the fantasy of Gomez being bought out, sent to the AHL, or brought up on recall waivers...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
haburger

Quote:
i'll take that bet too.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote