HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there room for Franson?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:57 AM
MorriPage

vCash: 500
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Franson is one of the few defenseman I've seen, and certainly the only one on this team, who consistently gets his point shots on net, especially through traffic. It's an extremely under-appreciated part of his game. He needs to be on this team in some capacity. I don't care if it's bottom pairing minutes, I want Franson on this team unless someone who is unquestionably better comes forward.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:00 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Franson is one of the few defenseman I've seen, and certainly the only one on this team, who consistently gets his point shots on net, especially through traffic. It's an extremely under-appreciated part of his game. He needs to be on this team in some capacity. I don't care if it's bottom pairing minutes, I want Franson on this team unless someone who is unquestionably better comes forward.
I think this is one of the biggest things that would help in playoffs... He gets his shot off quickly and accurately, might not be the hardest, but let's be honest, it doesn't need to be.. Its one of his better assets that for sure.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Mancunian

I think trading Franson would be a huge mistake. Between Schenn, Gustavsson and him... giving up on Cody will bite us worse than if Schenn and Gustavsson really find their game with their new teams.

Mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:10 AM
LeaffanDM

i think will we get a better understanding of his fate if he gets resigned or not.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
I think trading Franson would be a huge mistake. Between Schenn, Gustavsson and him... giving up on Cody will bite us worse than if Schenn and Gustavsson really find their game with their new teams.
Not really. We have better options. Blacker, Percy, Gardiner, Rielly all can do his job and perform it better. Why do we need him? He's a trade chip plain and simple.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Not really. We have better options. Blacker, Percy, Gardiner, Rielly all can do his job and perform it better. Why do we need him? He's a trade chip plain and simple.
When have Blacker, Rielly and Percy out performed Franson in the NHL?

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:31 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Blacker, Percy and Reiley aren't ready for an NHL roll yet.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:27 AM
MorriPage

What this team's top 6 should be (in no particular order):
1. Phaneuf
2. Gardiner
3. Gunnarsson
4. Liles
5. Franson
6. Komisarek (*sigh*)
7. Holzer/Fraser

When Blacker/Percy/Rielly are ready to step up and contribute, by all means start moving bodies out to make room. Until then, this is what we're looking at.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:22 AM
gravyface

Moving Franson would be a huge mistake:
http://leafsdiary.com/2012/05/21/map...-cody-franson/

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF View Post
I just came across this on TSN. I personally would like Franson to sign and have a regular spot in the line up.
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=399810
Leafs have only 6 NHL defensemen. This article shows a lack of insight and hockey knowledge from the author.

You need at least 7 Dmen on your roster at all times -- in case of an injury. Imagine someone pulling up lame in the warm-up or getting sick.

Gunnarson Phaneuf
Gardiner Komisarik
Liles Franson
Holzner

Watching Holzner in the playoffs I have a hard time believing he'll be anything more than a 7th. He just doesn't have the puck skills to be a top 4.

Leafs have 0 defensemen to trade. Blacker couldn't even crack the Marlies roster in the playoffs.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:13 AM
SteveV*

The fact that Franson won't resign unless he is guaranteed icetime tells me why he didn't get icetime. Come on Cody, just play well and you're in, EARN your time. Instead we have whiny Cody who had his job stolen by Gardiner. Komi sat in the pressbox, Schenn sat in the pressbox, performance is what dicates and to actually demand playing time before signing shows a real flaw in logic. Hey, Cody, here's an idea, come to camp and blow us away, then see how much you play. Geez.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
There better be room for Franson now that Schenn has moved on. Franson has the potential to be a top 4 d man. There was a reason he was paired with Shea Webber. All he needs to do is use his size a bit more.
I'm not sure how factual this statement is... Yes, I'm sure at some point he was thrown on a line with Weber, but how often?

Considering he was 7th for TOI/G (15:10) among D-men on Nashville last year in the regular season and 6th for TOI/G (15:19) among D-men on Nashville last year for the playoffs... I'm going to assume that he was not at all Weber's primary partner.

A lot of people make it sound like Franson was this big piece of Nashville's blueline. He wasn't, he played bottom pairing minutes.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
gabeliscious

i would think with schenn moving and the leafs losing out on schultz that franson would have an excellent chance at making the team. assuming burke doesnt bring in any more defenseman he really only needs to beat out holzer for a full time position.

phaneuf gunnarson
liles komisarek
gardiner franson/ holzer

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i would think with schenn moving and the leafs losing out on schultz that franson would have an excellent chance at making the team. assuming burke doesnt bring in any more defenseman he really only needs to beat out holzer for a full time position.

phaneuf gunnarson
liles komisarek
gardiner franson/ holzer
Franson is pretty bad defensively though. And the defensive side of the game is our #1 need on the blueline. Phaneuf, Liles, and Gardiner can likely carry the load offensively, even Gunnar is ok at moving the puck. Holzer I think fills a more important role than Franson would for us at the moment.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I think he'll be moved with Tyler Bozak in a deal for Roberto Luongo.

Franson is trade-bait.
I'm not saying Bozak isn't worth Luongo by any stretch, but who else on this team has shown any chemistry AT ALL with Kessel/Lupul?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post

phaneuf gunnarson
liles komisarek
gardiner franson/ holzer
Komi in the top 4......yuck.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Komi in the top 4......yuck.
From what I've seen, Holzer is better than Komisarek. He'll take a spot in the top 4-6 this year ahead of Komi.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
To me Gunner hasn`t proven himself yet as a top 4 guy for us, I want to see what he looks like in camp next season, he did play good for us last season, but I think his overall abilities should have limited him to bottom pairing minutes, less playing time then a guy like Franson, or Schenn but that didn`t happen as Schenn played poorly in many people`s eyes while Gunner played solid.
LOL - Gunnar gets no love.

Over the past couple of years, he's been easily our most solid and consistant D man, but gets no love due to the fact that he a) doesn't hit like a frieght train, b) doesn't make flashy end to end rushes, or c) doesn't make a lot of mistakes that gets him the wrong kind of notice.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not saying Bozak isn't worth Luongo by any stretch, but who else on this team has shown any chemistry AT ALL with Kessel/Lupul?
Colborne .... I know I'll get flamed, but I'm convinced that Colborne is the perfect centre for those two. He's not a 1st line centre, but those two don't necessarily need one ... all he'd need to do is win draws, go to the net, and dig the puck out of the corners.

It would give the line more size, he'd create more room for them, and when they don't score off the rush, Colborne can go and get them the puck back. He's also got soft hands and solid playmaking skills ....

Everyone seems to have given up on him because of his off year, but it turns out he was hurt the whole time. With a full recovery, I think he'll dominate in the AHL to start the year, and find a prominent place in the lineup by Christmas (once room is made for him).

You heard it here first - book it

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHF View Post
I just came across this on TSN. I personally would like Franson to sign and have a regular spot in the line up.
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=399810
Burke's been letting this entitlement for overpaid under performing players fester in the dressing room for a a few years. I'm certain there are other players who feel slighted and overlooked because of LCK and even as far back as Lebda.

Not everyone will come out and say it, like Franson, but it is becoming more and more clear that things are not "right" in the leaf dressing room and with some of the players.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
That's certainly one of the better skills he brings to the team. Most of the time, it doesn't matter how hard the shot is (although he's got that ability too), you just have to get the puck on net to create 2nd and 3rd opportunities. He is a critical depth piece if we ever manage to reach the post season. I wouldn't go as far as to say he'll be a top 4 guy over the long haul, but he can defiantly play at the level in spurts.

As for that one poster saying he's played with Weber in the past, while that may technically be true, that pairing was very shortlived. I.E. A handful of games. Weber and Suter have been attached by the hip for the most part.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Burke's been letting this entitlement for overpaid under performing players fester in the dressing room for a a few years. I'm certain there are other players who feel slighted and overlooked because of LCK and even as far back as Lebda.

Not everyone will come out and say it, like Franson, but it is becoming more and more clear that things are not "right" in the leaf dressing room and with some of the players.
When did Burke start setting the gameday line-ups?

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
New Liskeard

If anything, i expect Burke to aquire another experienced NHL defender, not trade one away.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Colborne plays soft.

Does anyone actually watch Marlies games before commenting on guys down there?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Colborne .... I know I'll get flamed, but I'm convinced that Colborne is the perfect centre for those two. He's not a 1st line centre, but those two don't necessarily need one ... all he'd need to do is win draws, go to the net, and dig the puck out of the corners.

It would give the line more size, he'd create more room for them, and when they don't score off the rush, Colborne can go and get them the puck back. He's also got soft hands and solid playmaking skills ....

Everyone seems to have given up on him because of his off year, but it turns out he was hurt the whole time. With a full recovery, I think he'll dominate in the AHL to start the year, and find a prominent place in the lineup by Christmas (once room is made for him).

You heard it here first - book it
IMHO i have no doubt Colborne will be a regular NHLer, in what capacity has yet to be determined. He has the size, great hands and vision, and certainlly plays the right position. I have a hard time seeing Burke trading him; the Leafs want depth down the midlle with size and that is Colborne. Unless Colborne put up number 1 center type numbers in the NHL, many here will call him a bust, because it is an area that the Leafs could use help in and expect him to be the answer.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote