HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So many lost lead

Old
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
HabsPassion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Are you in a huff in defending your overstated opinion! If Price had become a UFA you could safely bet your inheritance that many NHL teams would gladfly have matched his $6.5M salary or perhaps topped it. It would be becoming of you to remember that he came close to winning the opening playoff round against the Bruins while playing for an eighth place team and would have done so if the Habs had been able to score an OT goal. Blame Chara's hit on Pacioretty or the lack of one more offensive player but certainly not Price. He was fully Thomas's peer in that series. Thomas knew it but apparently you don't.
Once again, where did i Blame price for the BRUINS SERIES? I refuse to dignify any of your rants. have a nice day.

HabsPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaad64 View Post
I concur with your three weaknesses and think we will fix 1 and 2. First one through better coaching and Markov in better shape. Second one with the new guys, they bring a lot of grit !

But number 3, we would need a Semin without the attitude and impact on salary cap, lol ! As for a trade, you get the best if you the best like Plekanec !
I'm not opposed to trading Pleks but the following two factors must come into play:
1. Eller can move up to play line two center
2. If we can land a stud left winger in return to play with Eller

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
The blowing leads statistics, as well as the 20th in Save%
These are statistics that are interpretive in the sense that you put too much responsibility on the goalie for them, in my opinion.

Blown leads fall on the team as a whole, including the coaching staff. Save percentage is also influenced strongly by the type of opportunities to score the team allows the opposition.

Price did not have his best season last year, that is undeniable. But too many posters are pointing to Price as the instrument of failure, when in reality the dismal season is on the backs of everyone in the organization from top to bottom.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
These are statistics that are interpretive in the sense that you put too much responsibility on the goalie for them, in my opinion.

Blown leads fall on the team as a whole, including the coaching staff. Save percentage is also influenced strongly by the type of opportunities to score the team allows the opposition.

Price did not have his best season last year, that is undeniable. But too many posters are pointing to Price as the instrument of failure, when in reality the dismal season is on the backs of everyone in the organization from top to bottom.
First of all, Thanks for the intelligent response, I enjoy other people's opinions greatly, if they are intelligent and not rants.

That is very true how it does not fall on the whole team, but as a goalie who is paid in the top 3 goalies, I want a goalie who is able to stand on his head. When Halak stole the series against the Capitals, it would have been easily to blame the team, allowing 52 Shots against in a single game, but instead he stood on his head. Now, I dont think Halak will ever be able to repeat a performance such as that, but Halak has proved time and time again that heis a clutch goalie. Now I wanna make this clear that Price is a better goalie then Halak. However, if it comes down to a third period situation with 5 minutes left, sadly I would have more faith in Halak to stand on his head then Carey. I find Carey has a tendency to let in "soft goals" pretty often, which really drives me crazy. Soft goals are momentum changers, and I dont know why, probably concentration lapses, but hopefully this problem will be resolved next season.

Referring to him being the instrument of failure- that he was NOT, AT ALL! The instrument of failure was the overall team chemistry, from management to roster players. That is also why I dismiss his save percentage being 20th, because I know he is much better then that.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Scott Gomez
PP TOI = 88:59
2 Goals
1 Assist

I hate to keep bringing up Gomez and blaming him for a ton of the woes from last season but damn, Eller produced just as much with 30 mins less of PP time but Gomez averaged 2 mins 20 secs per game on the PP while Eller averaged 39 secs
I think the first big loss of the season came when Muller got the job in Carolina
prime example of Gomez being blamed for everything. If anything he was our best forward at bringing the puck in the zone. Compare those numbers to a few other forwards on the team on the PP and I bed you get a similar result. Its not just Gomez

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
First of all, Thanks for the intelligent response, I enjoy other people's opinions greatly, if they are intelligent and not rants.

That is very true how it does not fall on the whole team, but as a goalie who is paid in the top 3 goalies, We I want a goalie who is able to stand on his head. When Halak stole the series against the Capitals, it would have been easily to blame the team, allowing 52 Shots against in a single game, but instead he stood on his head. Now, I dont think Halak will ever be able to repeat a performance such as that, but Halak has proved time and time again that heis a clutch goalie. Now I wanna make this clear that Price is a better goalie then Halak. However, if it comes down to a third period situation with 5 minutes left, sadly I would have more faith in Halak to stand on his head then Carey. I find Carey has a tendency to let in "soft goals" pretty often, which really drives me crazy. Soft goals are momentum changers, and I dont know why, probably concentration lapses, but hopefully this problem will be resolved next season.

Referring to him being the instrument of failure- that he was NOT, AT ALL! The instrument of failure was the overall team chemistry, from management to roster players. That is also why I dismiss his save percentage being 20th, because I know he is much better then that.
Price did allow some soft goals in key situations that were very disappointing. I don't necessarily believe that his were more frequent than other goalies. One's perception is influenced strongly because as a fan, you have strong emotional responses to great plays and poor ones. These are more memorable to us when our team is involved. And last year the bad seriously outnumbered the good.

The other thing to consider I think, is that a blown lead is not necessarily a lost game. Simply put, when the Habs were down, they rarely found the wherewithal to get back in the game.

I am guardedly optimistic that there will be fewer man games lost, a better PP, and an improved esprit de corps.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Price did allow some soft goals in key situations that were very disappointing. I don't necessarily believe that his were more frequent than other goalies. One's perception is influenced strongly because as a fan, you have strong emotional responses to great plays and poor ones. These are more memorable to us when our team is involved. And last year the bad seriously outnumbered the good.

The other thing to consider I think, is that a blown lead is not necessarily a lost game. Simply put, when the Habs were down, they rarely found the wherewithal to get back in the game.

I am guardedly optimistic that there will be fewer man games lost, a better PP, and an improved esprit de corps.
That is so true, and thanks for making me realise that. It is true that every soft goal will stick out like a sore thumb.

What people understand, and I don't know why everyone gets so offended, too many people have bromance's with price(?), is Im not bashing the guy, but when you accept a 6.5 Million Dollar Contract (!) its a responsibility, doing the minimum or being above average will not be good enough, He has now put himself in the ELITE category. The elite category that steal games, win series for their teams, lead the nhl every year in goalie statistics,etc. So everyone,

It drives me crazy how I get attacked on the boards for CRITICIZING someone.

Last edited by HabsPassion: 07-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
TennisMenace

Let's hopeCarey earns his pay more than the guy who makes more than him.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
FireBergevin

Losing lead is soff. He's having none of that.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
There is a lot of talk about our performance last year. About how our anemic PP killed us, and where the oh so many 1-goal losses could have been won had we put it in @ 5 Vs 4

Something else left me pondering. It was the (probably justified) general opinion on this board last year that we let too many leads slip between our fingers.

Was it because we played too defensively? Because our player lacked heart and were losers at heart?

I had a small epiphany watching Spain holding their 2-0 lead on Sunday. Sure, Spain played defensively. But more importantly: they played defensively in a way meant to burn out the italians.

Here is my theory: we failed to protect our leads so many times because, while playing defensively, we didnt adopted a strategy that would tire out the opposition. We would simply intercept/recover and dump in the far end. We would keep matching our top line against theirs.

Is is a possibility that a heavy bottom 6 would make a strong difference in protecting our lead? Literally grinding the opponent's top lines, tiring them out and reserve our defensive top lines for tight spots. (defensive zone face-off, etc...)

Or am I completely off-track and should put on the Maple Leaf Hat of Hockey Shame?
In the 2009-2010 playoffs, the Habs protected the lead using, among other things, a solid third line of Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt, which not only used its speed to check the opponents and tire them out, but also was able to contribute key goals as well.

Within a year, Gauthier let all three of these guys go for nothing. We still have not replaced them.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:26 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
In the 2009-2010 playoffs, the Habs protected the lead using, among other things, a solid third line of Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt, which not only used its speed to check the opponents and tire them out, but also was able to contribute key goals as well.

Within a year, Gauthier let all three of these guys go for nothing. We still have not replaced them.
Such an awful GM. I hate rehashing things, but it will take me a long time to get over just how bad of a GM he was.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote