HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The D-situation

Old
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
What would the Sabres need to add re: Leopold for Beglund.

A big center with size? Check.

I know someone here posted a rumor (though I forget if it was a reliable or unreliable one) about the Sabres talking with the Blues...that would seem to make a lot of sense. Blues get a top 4 minute eating LD, we get a big center.
I don't think St Louis wants Leopold. They are more likely to want Sekera.

And Berglund may be tall, but he doesn't play big. I'd pass.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?5665

Quote:
ASSETS: Has a huge frame, outstanding offensive instincts and game-changing ability. Is a wizard with the puck. His wrister is top-notch. Owns two-way upside.

FLAWS: Doesn't use his big frame enough to win puck battles or finish checks consistently. Could stand to shoot the puck a little more. Needs to be better from game to game.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Slick center with good upside.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Sekera is probably the best trade chip we have on D given his contract value + play last season. I'd be ok with moving him for the right deal. I see Pysyk as a viable long-term replacement for him if he is moved. McNabb fits into the "make the Sabres tougher to play against" mentality, so I'd be a bit surprised if he gets moved, especially since he probably slots nicely into Regehr's role long-term. Leopold is definitely tradeable, but he's not going to get great return...We'd probably get more for him if we held onto him until the trade deadline, because there's always some playoff-bound team desperate for more reliable veteran defensemen.

In any case, I will be shocked if we go into the season with all the defensemen we have now.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Digable5

Quote:

I know someone here posted a rumor (though I forget if it was a reliable or unreliable one) about the Sabres talking with the Blues...that would seem to make a lot of sense. Blues get a top 4 minute eating LD, we get a big center.
I haven't seen anything about the Blues and Sabres talking but I have seen the Blues being interested in moving a F for a D.

I think Leopold for Berglund would be great for both, but value wise I'm guessing we'd have to add to Leopold. Both of their contracts expire, but Berglund is an RFA I assume. What could we add to Jordan to make it doable?

Berglund would be a great addition to the 3rd line next to Ott. Inexpensive and still pretty young. After the season you can either move one of the centers to W or trade them to make room for Grigs and/or Girgs.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
clumping platelets

If Parise signs with Chicago and they do not get Suter, how about using Stafford (friend of Parise) and/or d-man to get dave Bolland?

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

i dont see any workable deal regarding berglund

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Sekera is probably the best trade chip we have on D given his contract value + play last season. I'd be ok with moving him for the right deal. I see Pysyk as a viable long-term replacement for him if he is moved. McNabb fits into the "make the Sabres tougher to play against" mentality, so I'd be a bit surprised if he gets moved, especially since he probably slots nicely into Regehr's role long-term. Leopold is definitely tradeable, but he's not going to get great return...We'd probably get more for him if we held onto him until the trade deadline, because there's always some playoff-bound team desperate for more reliable veteran defensemen.

In any case, I will be shocked if we go into the season with all the defensemen we have now.
I agree that his trade value could indeed be better at the deadline, but if we're in a good playoff spot at that point we're more likely to lose him for nothing. I could live with that but if we can make a move that will improve our team now than I make it.

Lets say Sekera could be an important piece to one of our big moves, Leopold can be packaged with a pick or prospect for a Center like Berglund I'm hoping. Maybe that's not what they want but Id explore.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
1. Hamilton's list was purely Hamilton's. Darcy didn't name names, though he did say in a separate interview that Hodgson and Ennis weren't being traded.

2. Myers, Sekera, Regehr, Ehrhoff are locks to be on the opening day roster

3. Leopold is the logical one to consider trading

4. Sulzer, Weber, Pardy, Brennen, McNabb will battle for the final spots on D

What I think will happen:

Leopold will be kept. Sulzer will win the 6th spot. Weber will win the 7th spot. Pardy will be buried in Rochester, but unlike Shamo and Kotalik, will probably get a look during the season due to injuries. Brennen will be traded for a late round draft pick if they don't move Leopold earlier.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
1. Hamilton's list was purely Hamilton's. Darcy didn't name names, though he did say in a separate interview that Hodgson and Ennis weren't being traded.

2. Myers, Sekera, Regehr, Ehrhoff are locks to be on the opening day roster

3. Leopold is the logical one to consider trading

4. Sulzer, Weber, Pardy, Brennen, McNabb will battle for the final spots on D

What I think will happen:

Leopold will be kept. Sulzer will win the 6th spot. Weber will win the 7th spot. Pardy will be buried in Rochester, but unlike Shamo and Kotalik, will probably get a look during the season due to injuries. Brennen will be traded for a late round draft pick if they don't move Leopold earlier.
Why trade Brennan? Just send him down to Rochester, I highly doubt he gets claimed through waivers.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't think St Louis wants Leopold. They are more likely to want Sekera.

And Berglund may be tall, but he doesn't play big. I'd pass.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?5665
Semi OT, but I used that website to look up Derek Roy, and got this:
Quote:
ASSETS: Has a never-say-quit mentality and an impeccable work ethic. Sees the ice well and has a knack for racking up impressive point totals. Can make his teammates around him better.

FLAWS: At 5-9, he can wear down because he plays a somewhat physical style, relatively speaking. He also tends to lose battles in the corners due to his overall lack of bulk.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Quality playmaking center.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Semi OT, but I used that website to look up Derek Roy, and got this:

Quote:
ASSETS: Has a never-say-quit mentality and an impeccable work ethic. Sees the ice well and has a knack for racking up impressive point totals. Can make his teammates around him better.

FLAWS: At 5-9, he can wear down because he plays a somewhat physical style, relatively speaking. He also tends to lose battles in the corners due to his overall lack of bulk.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Quality playmaking center.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
It wasn't a separate interview. Hamilton's post is based off of yesterday's press conference and that is where Regier said what he did about Ennis and Hodgson.

TBN has the video up on the Sabres Edge blog.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
matthew94

Quote:
Why trade Brennan? Just send him down to Rochester, I highly doubt he gets claimed through waivers.
I actually think he would be claimed

Old
07-03-2012, 03:47 PM
matthew94

Quote:
It wasn't a separate interview. Hamilton's post is based off of yesterday's press conference and that is where Regier said what he did about Ennis and Hodgson.

TBN has the video up on the Sabres Edge blog.
Thanks My point remains the same. The long list was Hamilton's creation.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Thanks My point remains the same. The long list was Hamilton's creation.
I don't know that it was entirely his creation.

Regier talked about not wanting to move Ennis and Hodgson. It wouldn't surprise me if he talked about whether he was looking to move other guys.

Especially with the Miller for Ryan & Hiller rumors and Miller being on that list.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
matthew94

Quote:
I don't know that it was entirely his creation.

Regier talked about not wanting to move Ennis and Hodgson. It wouldn't surprise me if he talked about whether he was looking to move other guys.

Especially with the Miller for Ryan & Hiller rumors and Miller being on that list.
I suppose it is possible... it just doesn't seem very Darcy like to have such a long list. In any case, I doubt such a list is set in stone.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
theytookmyson

I know this is more of a trade speculation thread, but I have to wonder this point. Does the sabres acquiring Ott boost Weber's energy this off season? I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Weber comes to training camp playing like a man possessed. I understand that energy is not everything on D, but it sure wouldn't hurt Weber if he came out bangin early in the season. Any thoughts?

theytookmyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
JPurp26

I wouldn't be worried about Brennan getting claimed. If he did good for him but he doesn't have an NHL future. He is not in the Sabres plans moving forward only as depth

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by theytookmyson View Post
I know this is more of a trade speculation thread, but I have to wonder this point. Does the sabres acquiring Ott boost Weber's energy this off season? I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Weber comes to training camp playing like a man possessed. I understand that energy is not everything on D, but it sure wouldn't hurt Weber if he came out bangin early in the season. Any thoughts?
I think he'll be better this year than last. Having Ott around should be good for him. Not having Grags are his partner for half the season will be better.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I suppose it is possible... it just doesn't seem very Darcy like to have such a long list. In any case, I doubt such a list is set in stone.
Really?

I thought Darcy fell in love with "his guys"?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
McNabb was in the list of Regier's untouchables in Paul Hamilton's article at WGR's website.

I would be surprised if he gets moved.
I'd be surprised if that list was any more legitimate than any of our speculation might be. That said, I don't see him getting moved unless it's a hell of a deal.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
hockey18

brennan gets claimed on waivers for sure. He has some skills that are needed in the league, he just needs that same chance that weber/grags and some others have gotten. Can't belive people that actually watched the sabres last year think that weber and regehr should be in the mix. Just amazing. Give mcnabb and brennan a chance and get rid of the slugs that they are keeping. Besides that, regehr makes 4 million, how in the world is he worth that?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
brennan gets claimed on waivers for sure. He has some skills that are needed in the league, he just needs that same chance that weber/grags and some others have gotten. Can't belive people that actually watched the sabres last year think that weber and regehr should be in the mix. Just amazing. Give mcnabb and brennan a chance and get rid of the slugs that they are keeping. Besides that, regehr makes 4 million, how in the world is he worth that?
Brennan won't get claimed for the same reason Gragnani didn't get claimed the past couple of years. He's just not that good.

And the idea that Regehr should be the odd man out is comical. He provides some much needed physicality on the back end and him and Sekera formed a formidable shutdown pairing.

Weber is going to have to fight for a spot with Pardy IMO.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Weber, sure... but to suggest Regehr "shouldn't be in the mix" is absolutely ridiculous. The guy did exactly what anyone should have expected out of him. He played the tough minutes and he played them tough.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Really?

I thought Darcy fell in love with "his guys"?

That is said around here as if its fact. So, Darcy's untouchable list:

EVERYONE!

Old
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote