HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if...

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Diesel

vCash: 500
What if...

Sidney Crosby is declared an unrestricted free agent and allowed to sign with whoever he wants to (in the event that the NHL uses replacement players)?

I know its unlikely, but I heard somewhere there is an outside chance at this happening. Could somebody please explain to me, though, what his agents' legal argument would be for allowing him to do this if it did happen? Please... don't leave posts explaining to me how slim the chances are of this happening- I am already aware of that. I know that if there is no contract by June, then there won't be a draft either, but I would imagine that, when the NHL opens again (with or without replacement players) that they would immediately hold a draft? My first inclination was that Crosby would simply let sleeping dogs lie and submit to this scenerio. If he were a free agent, Crosby would almost certainly choose to sign with a team with is a perenniel contender. While this isn't necessarily fair, I don't see how it is any more fair to simply use the season records from last season to determine the draft order. How fair is it that Washington ends up with Ovechkin AND Crosby?! While there is a chance that this might happen anyway, there are plenty of other BAD teams in the NHL that would have a good shot at landing the "next one". I think the most fair thing would be to throw the 30 teams into a hat and have a random draft order. Certainly, it would need to be weighted to favor the teams that did poorly last year, but sufficiently random enough to ensure that 10 or so of the "bottom feeder" teams had a shot at that top pick.

But... if for some reason Crosby ends up a free agent, you gotta think that there is at least a significant chance he ends up in Philly, even if thats a big "if". He would certainly narrow his choices down to "the contenders". But I can definitely see Jeff Carter and Mike Richards being heavily involved in that recruiting process considering that the 3 of them where teammates on that gold medal winning Canadian team.

Just some random conjecturing, thats all...

Old
01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
stanley

This is currently being discussed, to the level of absurdity, on another forum here.

For your perusal: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=121651

I don't mind at all that you brought it up here, Diesel - I just thought I'd include this link for you.

Old
01-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Well if I were to concede the to the idea tha Crosby would be a free agent, I don't think that Philadelphia would be his first choice, or even high up there. Someone from the boards has to know Crosby's favourite team, in all likelyhood it is the Leafs, who too would have the cash to sway him into a contract.

Old
01-05-2005, 10:36 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't think that Crosby would look forward to being on the same depth chart as Carter, Richards, Umberger, and now Potulny. Granted some of those guys will be moved to wing, mainly Umberger and Potulny, but I still think he'd want to go somewhere else.

Old
01-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Eh, you could always use him as trade leverage to get that extra Phaneuf we were looking for.

Old
01-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Teezax

Bottom line is he will not become a UFA. Without a CBA there is no draft, let alone Free Agency.

Closed Thread