HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryce Salvador re-signs with Devils [3 years, $3.16M cap hit]

Old
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm sure Lou is regretting Volchenkov's NTC right around now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Why the hell did we just re-sign Salvador until he's 39 when we already have Tallinder and Volchenkov for the next several seasons?

Volch better be dealt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
If Volchenkov is somehow dealt I will feel way better about this signing.
Spot on.

Half of my dream scenario has been granted. Now, if Lou can find a way to move Volchenkov and that brutal contract to a team who'll need to reach the cap floor and needs a SAH d-men, I'd ask for a conditional 4th round pick and nothing else. We'd actually be saving money and we wouldn't be losing a step doing if we did have to move A-Train. It would really be a win/win type of situation, with Salvador now on the books for the next 3 years.

I don't see Tallinder being moved, mostly because of his health issues and the fact no one knows if he's "back to normal" since he only played 2 games after his injury. Odds of us moving Volchenkov isn't great either but would be the obvious choice if someone came knocking on Lou's door. I know he has a NTC but if he get's approached by Lou, I doubt Anton will pull a Langenbrunner and say no to a possible trade. Of course, he'd have his say as to where he'd go cause of his clause and all but I don't see it as being that big of a issue.

It might also be wishfull thinking on my part, who knows.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
MadDevil

I don't have a problem with it. The guy is a warrior, is great defensively, is very well respected in the locker room, and most importantly wants to be a Devil. Yeah it would have been safer without that last year, but it also probably helped keep the cap hit down.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I don't have a problem with it. The guy is a warrior, is great defensively, is very well respected in the locker room, and most importantly wants to be a Devil. Yeah it would have been safer without that last year, but it also probably helped keep the cap hit down.
LMAO I was going to post the same exact thing. Plus it gives us leverage to either improve the team with Poni's departure if Zach returns, or more ammo to get someone worth the price to replace Zach.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Someone is going to be traded. I highly doubt it's Volchenkov. NTC and 4 more years.

It's either Tallinder or Greene. Heck, maybe Fayne is out for a young forward since we are loaded with depth at D.

I love Sal but I feel like 3 years is way too long.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think it must be Tallinder who gets traded, and I'm ok with that.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think it must be Tallinder who gets traded, and I'm ok with that.
I don't understand everyone's adamency about someone getting traded from the blueline.

Makes no sense.

The buzz and good feeling of this team right now leads me to believe Lou is trying to keep the team in tact as much as possible.

Everyone is acting like we have 8 EVERYDAY defense man. We absolutely do NOT.

Harold is noire than a glorified 7th defense man and is actually perfect for that roll and could get sent down and switch time with Jay Leach in that roll.

Fayne is out and on IR and will miss a good portion of the first 20 games.

Our defense man on opening day will be:

Salvador
Volchenkov
Tallinder
Zidlicky
Greene
Larsson
Harrold as 7th

Fayne : IR

Lou is a worry later type of GM. Once Fayne gets back he will evaluate than. No trade is happening folks.

Why would anyone speculate this?

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:36 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan8 View Post
Lou is a worry later type of GM. Once Fayne gets back he will evaluate than. No trade is happening folks.

Why would anyone speculate this?
It would make sense.
The Devils are in need of, at the very least, a bottom 6 winger and there isn't too much left on the market that's that appealing.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
JimEIV

Who says any of them get traded? Harrold is nothing more than 7th defenseman or a situational guy and Larsson obviously hasn't gained full trust of the coaching staff...you expect improvement, but it is yet to be seen.

On top of that Volchenkov has proven to be a 60-some odd game player his entire career. So 8 is not really that much of an issue unless some rookie makes it an issue in training camp.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Lou said he expects Fayne to be ready for opening night. We have at least two rookies who could push for a spot in training camp. We do have a logjam of NHL calibre defencemen, and if we miss out on Parise we could move one for a forward.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
It would make sense.
The Devils are in need of, at the very least, a bottom 6 winger and there isn't too much left on the market that's that appealing.
Mattais.Tedenby.

With the cap I think he is our 3rd line winger with Clarkson and Josefson.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Mattais.Tedenby.

With the cap I think he is our 3rd line winger with Clarkson and Josefson.
That's if he can prove himself at camp and if Sykora comes back, and if we don't lose Parise... then the bottom 6 is set. A lot of ifs there, though.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
That's if he can prove himself at camp and if Sykora comes back, and if we don't lose Parise... then the bottom 6 is set. A lot of ifs there, though.
Agreed. My point is let's not all jump to conclusions and automatically assume a defense man is being traded.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Agreed. My point is let's not all jump to conclusions and automatically assume a defense man is being traded.
Of course. But, it's worth speculating a bit. No harm in that.
In the end, you can never really assume anything with Lou. No one even thought we'd be trying to get Sal and Harrold back here in the first place.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't think we can count on Tedenby. I would like to see him impress in camp though.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Is Harrold on a one-way or two-way deal, I forget?

And even if Fayne starts the season on IR and they move nobody because of it, what happens then when he comes back? You can't send Larsson down to the AHL or healthy scratch him. You have five other defensemen making $3 plus million, hard to healthy scratch them.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
kiwidevil

There were many games that Tedenby looked like our best offensive threat, this season and last. He has a lot to learn and some confidence to build. But it is amazing how hf writes players off in a heart beat.

It wasn't too long ago that everyone was gushing over him after his 3-4goals in a prospect scrimmage.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ that's just it, though. A Prospect Scrimmage turned out to be eons different from real game-time action for Him.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
^ that's just it, though. A Prospect Scrimmage turned out to be eons different from real game-time action for Him.
True, but it also shows the mood swings on hf. Look at the threads that get made on here.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Lou said he expects Fayne to be ready for opening night. We have at least two rookies who could push for a spot in training camp. We do have a logjam of NHL calibre defencemen, and if we miss out on Parise we could move one for a forward.
True or we can also clear some cap space to land someone like AK, for example, if we miss out on Parise.

From a business stand point alone, it would make all the sense in the world to move one of Tallinder, Greene or Volchenkov with Volchenkov being the no-brainer out of the three because of the lenght of his deal, his yearly salary and the fact we just signed a similar type player to a 3 year deal.

I would be real surprised if we kept all of our blueliners come puck drop or to a lesser extent, the deadline.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
There were many games that Tedenby looked like our best offensive threat, this season and last. He has a lot to learn and some confidence to build. But it is amazing how hf writes players off in a heart beat.

It wasn't too long ago that everyone was gushing over him after his 3-4goals in a prospect scrimmage.
Is 100+ games 23 years old a heart beat?

I ask in all sincerity what improvement has he shown over the last 100 games?

He has been handed a golden opportunities to play a more critical role on at least 3 major occasions and he has played his way down each time.

It's funny because alot of players never get a second chance let alone a 3rd chance.

"Players" don't typically need that many kicks at the can to stick...Clarkson got 1 opportunity and kicked the doors in scoring 3 goals in his first 7 games...I doubt a player like him would've ever gotten a 3rd or 4th chance.

Adam Henrique got 1 opportunity and ran with it.

You can go down the line, but for 9 goals in 101 games, while playing atrocious defense and no size or strength to speak of he has been given far more opportunity than most players get.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:05 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post

He has been handed a golden opportunities to play a more critical role on at least 3 major occasions and he has played his way down each time.

It's funny because alot of players never get a second chance let alone a 3rd chance.

"Players" don't typically need that many kicks at the can to stick...Clarkson got 1 opportunity and kicked the doors in scoring 3 goals in his first 7 games...I doubt a player like him would've ever gotten a 3rd or 4th chance.

You can go down the line, but for 9 goals in 101 games, while playing atrocious defense and no size or strength to speak of he has been given far more opportunity than most players get.
Couldn't agree more. Tedenby is having a hard time getting his **** together in the minors but should be slotted in our top #6 by many, if Parise bolts? The only thing he's proven so far is that he's not ready for primetime and get's rag dolled more often then not.

One would hope that he get's included in a deal with a d-men to acquire either cap space, picks or a roster player. If this was your typical beer league with no contact, he'd be a beast but it isn't, so he isn't.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:

I just think he has something to contribute to this team. I am not ready to write him off yet.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
MadDevil

I don't think it's really fair to compare Tedenby to Clarkson and Henrique. Tedenby played all of 12 games in the minors after coming over from Sweden. Clarkson played two full seasons, and Henrique played an entire season in the minors after playing four years of junior. They were both more mature players when they were given their chance.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I don't think it's really fair to compare Tedenby to Clarkson and Henrique. Tedenby played all of 12 games in the minors after coming over from Sweden. Clarkson played two full seasons, and Henrique played an entire season in the minors after playing four years of junior. They were both more mature players when they were given their chance.
Yet somehow Josefson who followed virtually the same path has not had the same problems and every coach he's played for has sang his praises.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
Yet somehow Josefson who followed virtually the same path has not had the same problems and every coach he's played for has sang his praises.
Fair enough. Not every player develops the same though. Maybe Tedenby just needs more time. Or maybe he'll end up being a bust. I just think it's a little early to completely give up on him.