HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Bucky likes what Regier does & hell freezes over

Old
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Its not done until they fix it. Some people act like they just lost out on these players, they messed up. We didnt just simply lose them to free agency. Its not Dominik Hasek demanding a trade either.

Its fine if people can just move on, some others cant until they have a reason to move on. Whenever I see Regier I think of it. How can you not?
From my perspective, it was done the second they signed the contracts. At that point, they were gone. Not coming back.

I understand being mad about it at the time, but no amount of angry comments are going to change that. All you can do now is want them to try and improve the team that's still here.

And Regier seems to be doing that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Sabretip

Today must be a very stressful day for Bucky - with Hecht and Roy now gone, he's got some difficult decisions on who he annoints as his season-long whipping boy to be ripped on in his columns.

I suspect that he'll probably jump onboard with Harrington's own agendas and start ramping up the campaign to get Miller sent out of town.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Today must be a very stressful day for Bucky - with Hecht and Roy now gone, he's got some difficult decisions on who he annoints as his season-long whipping boy to be ripped on in his columns.

I suspect that he'll probably jump onboard with Harrington's own agendas and start ramping up the campaign to get Miller sent out of town.
You still have Miller, Stafford, and Leino as easy targets.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
From my perspective, it was done the second they signed the contracts. At that point, they were gone. Not coming back.

I understand being mad about it at the time, but no amount of angry comments are going to change that. All you can do now is want them to try and improve the team that's still here.

Thats like I said, if these centers play well it will be over. Hodgson, Ennis, Grigs, and Girgs.

Connolly, Roy, Gaustad, and Hecht was a failure, and look at the roster, they are all gone now. Not many GM's and coaches could last with these huge failures, probably only 1 GM and coach could last.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I thought his article bagging a bit on Grigorenko is seeding the field for a future whipping boy. If the kid makes the team, the back-handed compliments will probably continue for the rest of his career in Buffalo.

07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Thats like I said, if these centers play well it will be over. Hodgson, Ennis, Grigs, and Girgs.

Connolly, Roy, Gaustad, and Hecht was a failure, and look at the roster, they are all gone now. Not many GM's and coaches could last with these huge failures, probably only 1 GM and coach could last.
We clearly have different definitions of 'over;.

Have a good day.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
For some odd reason, Bucky was very forgiving of Leino this season - which was in stark contrast to his peers, Harrington and Vogl....

Old
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Quote:

All totally reasonable choices. You gotta go with Stafford or Leino, since by extension he can then crap on Regier for signing them, and Ruff for not coaching them correctly.

It's really the perfect Bucky trifecta.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I thought his article bagging a bit on Grigorenko is seeding the field for a future whipping boy. If the kid makes the team, the back-handed compliments will probably continue for the rest of his career in Buffalo.
I detected that too but my gut reaction reading that was that Bucky's skepticism was being fueled by lingering frustrations he had with Afinogenov, Kalinin and Kozlov - all Russian guys he repeatedly complained about in his columns.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Moving on from Briere and Drury as Buffalo Sabres is one thing, moving on from the failure of our GM is another.

Read the board, what are we still trying to fill on this team?
I'll give you Regier might have put too much faith in Roy and Connolly and even Gaustad to replace Briere and Drury. As much as I did like Connolly, he and Roy didn't compete to the level of the two we lost. But Regier was under a lot of constraints and couldn't make the kind of bold moves he's making now for immediate resolve to our problems. I don't like making excuses for people, but I give Darcy a lot of credit for what he was able to accomplish under the circumstances and so far he's proving to me he could have done a lot more if Pegula had been the owner all along.

I understand you have a different perspective but that is how I see it.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
OkimLom

Can we please find a team that can take the TBN crew too? Well, minus Vogl.

Send one to Dallas, one To the Islanders, one to Toronto. Let them have their fun...

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Moving on from Briere and Drury as Buffalo Sabres is one thing, moving on from the failure of our owner is another.

Read the board, what are we still trying to fill on this team?
Fixed it for you. Seriously, idk how people can discredit Golisano's huge role in ruining All Things.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
The Sabres could acquire Richards, Nash, Bobby Ryan and Claude Giroux tomorrow, win the next 3 Stanley Cups, and Gleason would STILL complain about Drury/Briere.

That's the difference.
Big nope to that. The team loses its top two forwards, leaders and centers, goes 5 years without winning a round, missing the playoffs thrice, all while being consistently questioned at center and in the leadership department, and you think Bucky bringing it up is as absurd as if your scenario had unfurled? Not even comparable.

Face it: the Sabres still haven't replaced those two players. Still. Haven't.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
I detected that too but my gut reaction reading that was that Bucky's skepticism was being fueled by lingering frustrations he had with Afinogenov, Kalinin and Kozlov - all Russian guys he repeatedly complained about in his columns.
Or it was highly topical to bring up because questions about his effort were the only reason he wasn't drafted at #3.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:

It's really very simple: he ****ed up the team with a pair of catastrophically blind decisions, and hasn't fixed it yet. Until he fixes it, his ****ing it up is relevant.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
It's really very simple: he ****ed up the team with a pair of catastrophically blind decisions, and hasn't fixed it yet. Until he fixes it, his ****ing it up is relevant.
Really?

BTG & LQ weren't involved?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Skelley

Quote:
Yea... Darcy is far from perfect but Im pretty sure his thought process wasn't "We don't need our two best centers/leaders, good luck in free agency guys!" I think most people would agree that all else being equal, you replace Golisano and Quinn with Pegula, those "blind decisions" just dont happen

Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Not everything revolves around Briere and Drury though. That's his problem, he is incapable of making any argument about the Sabres without invoking their names. Are there times when it makes sense? Sure. But he could write an article about Doug Allen and he'd put Briere/Drury in it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Fixed it for you. Seriously, idk how people can discredit Golisano's huge role in ruining All Things.
How can it be an owner failure when the money was there?

Old
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
How can it be an owner failure when the money was there?
Well, if you believe the urban legend around Regier having agreed to a deal with Drury and it died because BTG or LQ wouldn't approve it in a timely manner.......

Old
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Really?

BTG & LQ weren't involved?
First, for all you know, they weren't. You're going off of third hand opinion and five years of message board echo effect.

Second, even if they were involved, Darcy's not absolved of any responsibility. At some point, a reasonable GM has to make it very clear to his employer that waiting until July 1st to even offer contracts to your top two players, both of whom you want to keep, is committing hari kiri. He has to be the responsible hockey mind, and if the ownership is so pigheaded as to take all of his warnings of imminent doom and cast them aside, he needs to quit. None of that happened, so I see no reason to say the buck doesn't stop with Darcy.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Not everything revolves around Briere and Drury though. That's his problem, he is incapable of making any argument about the Sabres without invoking their names. Are there times when it makes sense? Sure. But he could write an article about Doug Allen and he'd put Briere/Drury in it.
I agree with you.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Well, if you believe the urban legend around Regier having agreed to a deal with Drury and it died because BTG or LQ wouldn't approve it in a timely manner.......
No, I believe 5 years $25 million for Briere gets him signed before arbitration, same deal they offered him later. In fact probably could have had him for 5 years $20 million, or a little more around 4.5 a year.

You give Drury a similar deal.

You never re-sign Kotalik, Kalinin, and Connolly. Right there was like $7 million a year. I think they even gave 38 year old Teppo Numminen a deal.

The money was there. Everything that happened after the season started, well it was too late. Drury and Briere both putting up crazy numbers, it was all over.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 07-03-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Am I remembering this wrong?

Quinn and Regier had a press conference after Briere and Drury left. Quinn said "we'll be competitive". Regier quickly corrected him and said "we'll be less competitive". I remember Regier looking a little upset at that time.

Correct my memory...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Am I remembering this wrong?

Quinn and Regier had a press conference after and Drury left. Quinn said "we'll be competitive". Regier quickly corrected him and said "we'll be less competitive". I remember Regier looking a little upset at that time.

Correct my memory...
You are correct, and Ruff said if he knew they would be gone he may not have re-signed.

In terms of contracts, Regier hasnt shown to be very good IMO, even with Pegula so far.