HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I have a question for you hockey players.

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2005, 10:47 PM
nic29+

vCash: 500
I have a question for you hockey players.

When you go onto or off of the ice, is there always little kids standing by the door to pat you on the back?

Old
01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic29
When you go onto or off of the ice, is there always little kids standing by the door to pat you on the back?
Not anymore.

Little bugger upped his price to $10 a game.

Old
01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
nic29+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Not anymore.

Little bugger upped his price to $10 a game.

LOL.

I was just curious because where I live there are about 5 or 6 little kids that stand at the door at every intermission to pat the guys on the back when they come off the ice and again when they go back on. So when the players are going back onto the ice for the 3rd period they always give one of the kids a stick of theirs. It's usually a broken stick (just cracked so it still looks good) and the kids love it. My son is one of those kids and it seems like the players love it just as much as the kids do. Just thought I'd give you guys some ideas.

Old
01-03-2005, 11:14 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
LOL.

I was just curious because where I live there are about 5 or 6 little kids that stand at the door at every intermission to pat the guys on the back when they come off the ice and again when they go back on. So when the players are going back onto the ice for the 3rd period they always give one of the kids a stick of theirs. It's usually a broken stick (just cracked so it still looks good) and the kids love it. My son is one of those kids and it seems like the players love it just as much as the kids do. Just thought I'd give you guys some ideas.
It all depends on the arena. Some of the larger places theres almost no contact from fans to players. Some others though, the players need to walk from the bench to the locker rooms in the same walkway the fans use. In these places kids will always be there.

Old
01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
nic29+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
It all depends on the arena. Some of the larger places theres almost no contact from fans to players. Some others though, the players need to walk from the bench to the locker rooms in the same walkway the fans use. In these places kids will always be there.

Well in those arena's where there are kids, give them a stick and make their day.

Old
01-04-2005, 01:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

lol I never gave them a stick. I'm sorry, you can call me the grinch, but $170 a stick while going to high school was a bit to give away. If the kids stuck their hand out, i'd touch their hand with my glove on the way to the lockerroom.

Old
01-04-2005, 07:38 AM
nic29+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
lol I never gave them a stick. I'm sorry, you can call me the grinch, but $170 a stick while going to high school was a bit to give away. If the kids stuck their hand out, i'd touch their hand with my glove on the way to the lockerroom.
Not one of your good sticks. If a blade happened to get cracked or something but the stick still looks good give them that one. Instead of throwing it away. Or if someone else has a stick they are throwing away take that one.

Old
01-04-2005, 07:41 AM
canadahockeygirl*

In college, we'd have little kids waiting for autographs in the lobby...or the supermarket...or anywhere else in town any athlete went and were noticed. But I'm sure they would have been patting us on the back as well had we been more accessible. I've never seen anything like it elsewhere though.

Old
01-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Frank Drebin
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 735
When I played senior hockey, and people actually came to watch us play, there were kids all over the exit door from the the rink to the dressing room.....slapping us on the back, kicking my pads - It was kinda cool actually.

Now no one watches us except for the odd guy's wife/girlfriend. :lol

Old
01-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Jim Lahey
When I played senior hockey, and people actually came to watch us play, there were kids all over the exit door from the the rink to the dressing room.....slapping us on the back, kicking my pads - It was kinda cool actually.

Now no one watches us except for the odd guy's wife/girlfriend. :lol
yeah beer leaguers are lucky if the refs watch.

Old
01-04-2005, 11:09 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not one of your good sticks. If a blade happened to get cracked or something but the stick still looks good give them that one. Instead of throwing it away. Or if someone else has a stick they are throwing away take that one.
Most sticks are still usable if the blade breaks :x.

Old
01-05-2005, 11:07 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

I played in Neebing Minor Hockey League as a kid. It was a tight knit group and there was always a group of players there to give a pat on the back or a high five as teams came on or left the ice. Two notable grads of Neebing minor are Brent Peterson formerly of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Greg Lotsyz who was a practice squad player on the New York Jets (most famous for suing the Jets, the Giants and a mess of doctors for botching his knee surgery, leaving him needing a cane at the age of 26 just to get around.)

Old
01-08-2005, 03:32 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz
yeah beer leaguers are lucky if the refs watch.
:lol

So true.

To answer the origional question, yes nic, there are usually little kids that hang around the rink and pat us on the backs like you described. I play for a no-name school (hockey wise), but they still do it.

I always assumed it was the little brother(s) of some of the guys, but perhaps not.

Closed Thread